The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Prism Sound Orpheus Audio Interfaces
Old 22nd May 2009
Gear Nut

Drivers for the Orpheus are available for both Windows and the Mac. It seems kind of silly to me that in a $4500 box, they did not want to spend the $$ to include FW800 as well as FW400 support.

Most audio interfaces that require drivers are supported primarily for the Mac and/or Windows. Linux gets the short end of the stick because the major DAW programs do not run on Linux.

Testing for all the Linux OS variants can also be a pain (RedHat, Debian, Ubuntu, etc.). Most companies have a hard enough time allocating sufficient resources to support their products on 1 or 2 platforms - Windows and/or the Mac - let alone 3 platforms. Apogee has in fact dropped support for WIndows altogether, and now only targets the Mac.

While you can use a USB audio interface that requires no driver on a LInux box (with USB), in practice real-time input/output of audio with USB devices may not be reliable.

There are PCI audio interface cards that are supported on Linux though, e.g., the M-Audio Audiophile 2496 is one ( M-AUDIO - Audiophile 2496 - 4-In/4-Out Audio Card with MIDI and Digital I/O ). I have not tried it, but I would expect a DAW program like Audacity (which runs on Linux) to work with any PCI audio interface card that's supported on Linux (has a Linux driver).

Audacity: Audacity: Free Audio Editor and Recorder
Old 23rd May 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by TapeOp View Post
Adam, have you guys at Mercenary compared the Orpheus with the Dream AD or the ADA-8?

I think that's what most of us are dying to find out...
It is already found out. Search GS on 'Orpheus'.
Bottomline: 'at par'.
Old 10th June 2009
Gear Addict

ADAT

The units settings tab has got the options for selecting: none,send,return,send and return and direct (that last one seems to be a new option since a last update or so?)

My question: What;s the differents between: send and return vs, direct?

I only use this adat communication as an overall standard for my Eventide H8000FW.
Old 15th October 2012
Deleted User
It seems like the new UA Apollo is very similar to the Orpheus... both in design and appearance. Has anyone done a good comparison of the two?
Old 16th October 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Diamond View Post
It seems like the new UA Apollo is very similar to the Orpheus... both in design and appearance. Has anyone done a good comparison of the two?
True, a very unworthy marketing exercition!
Old 18th October 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
It seems that it was derived from the Orpheus. Same connections on the front face (2 Hi-Z inputs and two phones output). And great similarities on the rear face. Appolo has an additional monitoring output, twinI/0 ADAT ports instead of single ones but no MIDI unlike Orpheus. The preamps of the Apollo are digital gain control ones, from 10 to 65 dB like the Oprpheus: the PGA 2500 also used in RME and Apogee stuff.

Attached Thumbnails
Prism Sound Orpheus-orpheus_rp.jpg  
Old 18th October 2012
Deleted User
Quote:
Originally Posted by didier.brest View Post
It seems that it was derived from the Orpheus. Same connections on the front face (2 Hi-Z inputs and two phones output). And great similarities on the rear face. Appolo has an additional monitoring output, twinI/0 ADAT ports instead of single ones (but no AES-BU unlike Orpheus). The preamps of the Apollo are digital gain control ones, from 10 to 65 dB like the Oprpheus: the PGA 2500 also used in RME and Apogee stuff.

Yes I noticed that... it does in many ways seem like a copy. Although it seems like UA has found a better marketing approach. Similar to Pro Tools and some other DAWs.

I think both are interesting options. Even though the UA is maybe not in the same exact ballpark as the Orph I would love to see a really informative test between:
Apollo
Orpheus
Metric Halo

Maybe with a LYNX converter as a benchmark.
Old 18th October 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
I think both are interesting options. Even though the UA is maybe not in the same exact ballpark as the Orph
My be as good. I wonder whether there woudl have been an agreement between Prism and UA so that UA could reuse for the Apollo a part of the electronics of the Orpheus.

Dynamic range, THD + N figures are so close: 116 dB & - 111 dBFS for the Orpheus, 117 dB dB & -107 dBFS for the Apollo (line inputs). Microphone input impedances for both units are so close also: 5400 vs. 5500 ohms, while RME with the same IC claims 2000 ohms.

I may be wrong. A major difference is the PSU: internal for the Orpheus, external for the Apollo. The Apogee Ensemble has also 2 Hi-Z inputs and two phone outputs on its front face. Although it is left-right reverse, the rear face design exhibits also similarities with the Orpheus.
Attached Thumbnails
Prism Sound Orpheus-ensemble.jpg  
Old 18th October 2012
Deleted User
Yeah I think all the interfaces we are talking about are awesome... I've been scouring the net for a good high end interface comparison, and haven't found one. If you know of one please share the link. Thank you.
Old 18th October 2012
Lives for gear

Sorry, I don't know any comparison of these interfaces.
Old 19th October 2012
Deleted User
It's cool.
Actually I have a lot of external pres that I like and I am thinking about just getting a Prism 8 Channel converter. What really kills me is... it is firewire 400? What's the deal? The Mytek 8channel is also FW 400. In the thunderbolt era you would hope FW 800 would be the bottom!
Old 19th October 2012
Lives for gear

Orph works with thunderbolt already.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search