The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Prism Sound Orpheus Audio Interfaces
Old 3rd May 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by TapeOp View Post
Adam, have you guys at Mercenary compared the Orpheus with the Dream AD or the ADA-8?

I think that's what most of us are dying to find out...
We have an ADA-8XR here at the studio on demo, and I must say....the sound quality of the Orpheus is ON PAR with the ADA-8XR. Honestly, I like to think of it as a baby hybrid version with less steroidal conversion functionality.

The ADA-8 is just about the most flexible, modular converter you'll ever put your hands on, so for me its hard to compare the two, but with regard to sound quality, they are of the same cloth. Perhaps the ADA-8XR is "better", but it would be unlikely that it would be a good assumption to make when they both sound "different". So, its up to your music to make the decision. I understand its not easy to go about demoing these converters but the choice between them I-M-O has more to do with feature's than sound quality.

The Orpheus seems to have this "gel" about it while giving you the qualities found in the ADA-8XR, so its a bit more forgiving, [its a bit smoother, relaxed in its hi-fidelity arm chair; perhaps its digital clocking has something to do with it]

The A/D D/A on the ADA-8 sounds like the source, period. The imaging and depth is scary. With Prism conversion; transients come forth, faster and with a much greater width and accuracy. I have noticed this with BOTH Orpheus and ADA-8XR.

I think the strength of the Orpheus is its S/N ratio, Dynamic Range, Digital Clock, and sophisticated layout for native systems..........The ADA-8XR takes the strength of flexibility to another level of professionalism that's hard to match [and/or compare]

peace
Old 4th July 2008
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roc Mixwell View Post
We have an ADA-8XR here at the studio on demo, and I must say....the sound quality of the Orpheus is ON PAR with the ADA-8XR. Honestly, I like to think of it as a baby hybrid version with less steroidal conversion functionality.

The ADA-8 is just about the most flexible, modular converter you'll ever put your hands on, so for me its hard to compare the two, but with regard to sound quality, they are of the same cloth. Perhaps the ADA-8XR is "better", but it would be unlikely that it would be a good assumption to make when they both sound "different". So, its up to your music to make the decision. I understand its not easy to go about demoing these converters but the choice between them I-M-O has more to do with feature's than sound quality.

The Orpheus seems to have this "gel" about it while giving you the qualities found in the ADA-8XR, so its a bit more forgiving, [its a bit smoother, relaxed in its hi-fidelity arm chair; perhaps its digital clocking has something to do with it]

The A/D D/A on the ADA-8 sounds like the source, period. The imaging and depth is scary. With Prism conversion; transients come forth, faster and with a much greater width and accuracy. I have noticed this with BOTH Orpheus and ADA-8XR.

I think the strength of the Orpheus is its S/N ratio, Dynamic Range, Digital Clock, and sophisticated layout for native systems..........The ADA-8XR takes the strength of flexibility to another level of professionalism that's hard to match [and/or compare]

peace
Thanks Adam... very nice to read your repply.
Great post... thumbsup
Old 9th August 2008
Gear Nut

That's how the "home studio" should sound in the first place!!!

Digidesign, look, listen and learn!!!
Old 10th August 2008
Lives for gear

'Home studio' is a word from he 80's where people used to record on a double speed cassette 4-track.
Old 11th August 2008
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by hanuman View Post
'Home studio' is a word from he 80's where people used to record on a double speed cassette 4-track.
Whatever...

I just bought Prism Sound Orpheus through Sound Tools in UK 3 weeks ago and still waiting for the rest 250£ and receipt.

How pro is that?

Avoid dealing with this guy Andrew Kinsey.
Old 11th August 2008
I've read the manual thoroughly but I can't find answers to these issues.

Firstly, regarding direct monitoring. Can anyone tell me if it is possible to monitor all of the 8 ADAT input channels at the same time as the 8 analogue inputs and the 2 s/dpif inputs? And is there as much flexibility for monitoring these inputs? For example can I route ADAT inputs 1-2 to analogue outputs 5-6 and 7-8, whilst routing ADAT inputs 3-4 to analogue outputs 3-4 and 5-6?

Secondly, Is it possible to record (in Logic) all of the 8 ADAT input channels at the same time as the 8 analogue inputs and the 2 s/dpif inputs, allowing me to record 18 channels at the same time?

Thanks if you know the answers to these questions.
Old 12th August 2008
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by TEMAS View Post
I've read the manual thoroughly but I can't find answers to these issues.

Firstly, regarding direct monitoring. Can anyone tell me if it is possible to monitor all of the 8 ADAT input channels at the same time as the 8 analogue inputs and the 2 s/dpif inputs? And is there as much flexibility for monitoring these inputs? For example can I route ADAT inputs 1-2 to analogue outputs 5-6 and 7-8, whilst routing ADAT inputs 3-4 to analogue outputs 3-4 and 5-6?
See the output mixer page of the manual, and look at the signal path architecture. ADAT inputs cannot be monitored with low-latency foldback mixes, and are simply passed to the FireWire bus for DAW IO.

However, you can set Orpheus to ADAT Direct mode, where ADAT inputs are routed to Analogue inputs & vice versa. This means that you can monitor any or all ADAT inputs in any foldback mix.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TEMAS View Post
Secondly, Is it possible to record (in Logic) all of the 8 ADAT input channels at the same time as the 8 analogue inputs and the 2 s/dpif inputs, allowing me to record 18 channels at the same time?.
Yes. All channels are available to record simultaneously. Note that the DI signal must use the RCA input when the optical input is used for ADAT lightpipe.
Old 13th August 2008
Lives for gear

Thanks for the info Andy

-SD
Old 16th August 2008
Here for the gear

Quote:
'Home studio' is a word from the 80's where people used to record on a double speed cassette 4-track.
Not really. That was a "Portastudio"!

Portastudio - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

"Real" Home studios had 24 track machines and "good" boards, and were owned by folks who had the $$$'s.

Tom
Old 16th August 2008
Lives for gear

mrtomm using the word 'homestudio' in relation to the Orpheus (with better conversion and preamps then PT HD) is a bit.... mmmm The concept of home studio started indeed with portastudio type of recorders, 8-tracks and so on, but it referred generally to a lesser quality then a recording studio. This is why I felt Orpheus was severely underrated by using this word.
Old 18th August 2008
Gear Head

Hello all.

Been doing my best to gather info about firewire audio interfaces over the past few days as I'm upgrading from a Motu 828mkII.

I use Logic 8 on a Mac and don't want to go the pro tools route.

I basically want to get the very best, highest fidelity fw interface available.

A simple question: Is the Orpheus it?

Others considered: Apogee Ensemble, Metric Halo 2882.

Thanks...
Old 18th August 2008
Lives for gear

In short: Prismsound Orpheus is it!
The comparison with the other product is not fair though since they are in another price range. After a month of acoustic music sessions with only happy faces there for me there is no other conclusion.
Old 19th August 2008
Here for the gear

Quote:
mrtomm using the word 'homestudio' in relation to the Orpheus (with better conversion and preamps then PT HD) is a bit.... mmmm The concept of home studio started indeed with portastudio type of recorders, 8-tracks and so on, but it referred generally to a lesser quality then a recording studio. This is why I felt Orpheus was severely underrated by using this word.
If that's your concept of the word.
You work from home you got a "Homestudio" !
You can do what you want to where you want.
Vocals at home, Drums in a studio with a great room.
Do comps at home, mix in a pro room.
Here lies the beauty of Orpheus.
First rate sound, and you can take it with you, if you need it.
One thing we both agree on is the sound of the "O". ;-)
The rest is just semantics.

mrtomm
Old 29th August 2008
Gear Addict

TIP: video/dvd tutorial

Since there are many Orpheus users and many people who have got a futurtive and serious interest in purchasing one, I thought that I would be a serious good idea for developing a good and clear Tutorial/ video demonstration with all the features of this powerfull beast. It also would be a very smart and logical step for the following reasons:

* Product presentation for (futurtive) costumers.
* Tutorial/ video manual
* Marketing stragical tool for the International market.
* Extra way of making money (tutorial selling)
* more product value
* A good visual answerd on those many questions in forums.

Just a sugestion from my side of vieuw. Hopefully there is someone from Prism Sound who can do something with my tip. For the Orpheus Developing Group.

Best Regards and wishes.
Old 9th September 2008
Here for the gear

2 orpheus on a macpro

Hello,

I have 2 orpheus with MacPro 4X2,8, with logic pro 8.0.2

Working with one unit is perfect. No problem.
Working with two is not esay at all!
It's very difficult to have the good sampling rates at the 2 units without crashing the macpro.
But when sampling rate is ok, I don't see the new inputs of the second orpheus inside logic.
When I see the inputs, there is no signal going to the orpheus soft, and of course no sound (20 tracks record)

Somebody can help me?

Thanks and sorry for my english, I speak French better!
Old 10th September 2008
Gear Head

sedhor: do you connect them as aggregated device ?
Old 13th September 2008
Gear Nut

My concern with the Orpheus is that the slowest FireWire speed (400) is the only way to connect this unit to a computer. They could have at least included a FW800 connection and freed up the slower FW400 buss for use by other normal FW peripherals you'd want to use simultansously which might consume bandwidth. This is a poor (and non-professional) design choice in a $5K unit, as many less expensive units provide the far more reliable and faster (less latency) way to interface directly to the PCI buss. No AES/EBU for all 8 in/out on the Orpheus means you don't even have the option to use an external PCI card if you want to.

So Prism took the cheap/easy way out here with FW400 (likely because they are not that experienced with FireWire). And it will only be a matter of time before the FireWire chipset inside Macs change and/or CoreAudio and the FireWire code changes such that getting data in/out of the Orpheus won't work reliably/correctly after a (probably major) software upgrade to the machine.

It may be Apogee's tighter integration with the Mac means they will be more on top of forthcoming changes to FW software/hardware not breaking connectivity to their unit (not that I would buy an Esnemble either however).
Old 13th September 2008
Lives for gear

It also drops to 4 channels of ADAT at 88.2/96. Surely they could have squeezed another pair of optical connections on the back... oh, well.
Old 3rd October 2008
Gear Nut

Quote:
He, he, thats why i joined this forum....heh

hanuman: do you know what "" is or what it means?

"...That's how the "home studio" should sound in the first place!!!..."

I have Orpheus in my home studio which does not mean is an "home studio" unit or is degraded somehow. I bought it after using crappy Digi 002 /w BLA mod and very happy about it and i have access to recording my flow 24h in very high quality....thats all.
I have a Great River 2ch, Neumanns mics... does it mean that it "become" a "home studio" preamp or mics now?

What i ment was to send a message to big Co.(unnamed this time :-) to put theirs crappy products in the a$$!

What a mess..... LEt it be.
Old 19th January 2009
Here for the gear

Selling Prism Sound Orpheus

Hi
By the way i am selling one... NEW and only 4500 bucks...

Absolutely new PRISM SOUND Orpheus.
I got two of them but I need money thats why I'm selling one...
I ordered them 8 mounths ago but got them just a day ago even didn't took it out of the box... since that time my economic situation has changed and now I need to sell one.
Old 20th April 2009
Gear Maniac

Price drop!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by vitalyselivanov View Post
Hi
By the way i am selling one... NEW and only 4500 bucks...

Absolutely new PRISM SOUND Orpheus.
I got two of them but I need money thats why I'm selling one...
I ordered them 8 mounths ago but got them just a day ago even didn't took it out of the box... since that time my economic situation has changed and now I need to sell one.
Actually, you must have had insider info, because the retail price was just now dropped to $4500 for all new Orpheus units.
Old 23rd April 2009
Lives for gear

Smile

apologies for this crosspost:

Dear Genius Golden Ears, please advise:

I use a mic pre now called a Martech MSS-10 into Lucid AD/DA, recommended so wisely by Fletcher at Mercenary, for clean musical tone.

But I have to trade that gear for a mobile rig because I work in a remote orphan-care setting in the 3rd world.

The acid test is, I multitrack (stack) background vocals 40-50 times, like Enya or say the vocals on Bohemian Rhapsody, and need a unit that will not add up distortion.
Hardly any gear can do this.

The apogee duet certainly cannot!

Do you know if the preamps on the Prism Orpheus can handle that?

And is there any other, maybe smaller pre/ad that is even cleaner?

Thanks!
Old 23rd April 2009
Lives for gear

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Fitz View Post
Actually, you must have had insider info, because the retail price was just now dropped to $4500 for all new Orpheus units.
Hey Jay!

Would you guys take a Martech MSS-10 SN#14, a Lawson L47, a Blue Blueberry, and a Lucid AD9624 and DA9624 for a Prism?

Thanks!

We love you!
Old 26th April 2009
Lives for gear

Does anyone know if Orpheus adapts to recording rate of audio that has been recorded automatically? I remember recording 2486 but Orpheus always jumps back to 44.1
Old 26th April 2009
Lives for gear

yep the Orpheus will automatically sync with the sample rate..
Old 4th May 2009
Lives for gear

Anyone use this on a laptop running XP and sonar 8.xx?

does it work?

Seems to be a lot of mac users and issues with the unit, yet everyone still loves it? what is the deal?

what are the alternative products?

thanks
Old 4th May 2009
Gear Maniac

Mac user and no issues here... solid as a rock - all day, everyday. thumbsup
Old 4th May 2009
Lives for gear

Smile

And on a similar note, does the orpheus work under Linux?

And likewise, is it possible to run the Apogee ensemble under linux or windows?

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search