The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Prism Sound Orpheus Audio Interfaces
Old 23rd October 2007
Lives for gear

Any DEMO (sound) ???

one thing that i love in Mytek Company.. they post some A/B/C (demo) for us(web site)..it is very usefull when you live in a place far from ...i live in Amazonia(Brazil)

After heard the demos i bought 3 (Mytek) heh
I did same thing with BLA after heard the demos , i did the Super Tweak Head Mod (002r)

I am very , very interested in buying Orpheus , but i need to hear something (demo) or any A/B test..

Old 23rd October 2007
I wouldn't pay 5K for the Orpheus...
I rather spend 3.3K on the 16ch Lynx + FW card and spend the rest on outboard heh
Old 24th October 2007
Lives for gear

Smile

bom dias andrematos

iam interessted how do you deal mobility and gear rust !?

obrigado patrick
Old 24th October 2007
Rust is not a problem where Andre lives...
Here where I live you better keep your gear on a climatized, well sealed room or it won't last long...
My wife have to change her home computer almost every year because of rusted motherboards, cases, etc...
Old 24th October 2007
Lives for gear

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildpark View Post
bom dias andrematos

iam interessted how do you deal mobility and gear rust !?

obrigado patrick
Guten Morgen Patrick ,

Like Jera(Jeronimo) told before meheh, rust is not a problem here(Amazonia/Pará)
I keep all the gear on a climatized ...

But i have to say , here is VERY hot place !

Patrick , do you live in Germany ? if yes , i have a very good friend called
Andreas Balaskas (Master Lab Studio) .. do you know him ?!

Beifall,
André-
Old 24th October 2007
Lives for gear

hello andre

yes iam in germany but iam more in the dominican republic

i seaw your friend do some mastering in berlin

i never had a contact personaly

(and no money for mastering )

berin is 500 miles away from frankfurt/hessen

how i located,

but its near in brasil proportions hehe

bom noite patrick
Old 24th October 2007
Lives for gear

Smile

bom noite jeronimo

how do you deal with outdoor gigs and rust !?

i stay direktly by the sea in the d.r (10 feet )

the salt is really ugly too my gear if not 24 hr. aircondition on

might be damaged, but the elektricity is really expensive there 30-40 dollar day!.

so i look for better options (drypacks !?)

obrigado patrick
Old 25th October 2007
well, I keep all the gear inside the studio, there is no outside gigs for my gear.
maybe some microphones once in a while.
it's all inside the studio (where is closed 99% of the time, and with A/C on during work hours, that's pretty much it.
never had a problem.
and I just remembered:
my stuff stayed in my house for a few months (during construction of my studio) and it was always coverd with fabric (when I wasn't using it) the the room was pretty much closed all the time. No A/C thou.
Old 25th October 2007
Lives for gear

its because closed

is a little confusing

if you in a area how the humidity is over 80 prozent !?

if not a big dollar facility this might be broke your bank for

house technik
Old 27th November 2007
Gear Maniac

what's going on?it's late NOV.when is it out?
i just saw the price in my local store site,around $5900
Old 11th February 2008
Gear Nut

Review

Here's a review of one of the first units to be delivered in December.

Prism Orpheus : Digiblah : PROAUDIOEUROPE - Europe's leading suppliers of new and used Proaudio equipment
Old 11th February 2008
Lives for gear

Smile

i bet all seller blah how i never can trust

also i send a lot of mails too prism but only one anwer comming after 6 weeks

with a sellers contact how never give me a call then

ITS JUST LIKE YOU WAIT FOR A QUOUTE FOR A NEW LAMBORGHINI GALADO

YOU NEVER GET CUZ THE SALES GUY .

anyway iam now on another route

meaby A prism beside my lavry

if i see a ada8 at ebay for 1k

too go the way with digidesign my last 2 years until apple replace them all (if apple buy

otari weiss lavry too build this converters direkt in the next generation mac remeber

mikrosoft was on the same way with mikrosonics but just took the software ! if they

had used complete mikrosoniks technology there wont any discussion like this then heh)

thx patrick
Old 13th February 2008
Gear Nut

The review by proaudioeurope was very useful but still a few more would be more than welcome.

Anyway, i noticed that the displayed orpheus in the box is black but all the actual units i've seen in pics are silver(unless i have that big problem with colors heh). Does this mean that it will be available also in black or is it something else?

Alex.
Old 11th April 2008
Here for the gear

Prism Orpheus arrived yesterday!

I took delivery yesterday on a PrismSound Orpheus. Obviously, I haven't had a lot of time to do an extensive review yet, but I'm listening to some files that were recorded on an Prism ADA-8XR and the clarity is an amazing step up from my previous interface. I can hear everything nuance and detail of the sound which will be a great help to me in my editing work. If the inputs, converters and pre-amps match the sound I'm hearing (and I have good reason to believe they will be), I'm going to be very happy indeed. I did a lot of research about this purchase, but I am obviously an early adopter of this particular interface and there aren't many reviews yet available. However, I have a lot of experience working with the 8-XRs so it wasn't an ignorant decision. In my opinion, Prism Sound makes the finest converters available. As another poster on this thread observed, the ability to throw this box in a bag with a laptop and a couple of great mics could raise the bar on small kit location recordings.

I will be recording with this interface very soon, as well as comparing it to several other interfaces. Once I have some sound files, I'll post them for listening.
Old 11th April 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkWilley View Post
I took delivery yesterday on a PrismSound Orpheus. Obviously, I haven't had a lot of time to do an extensive review yet, but I'm listening to some files that were recorded on an Prism ADA-8XR and the clarity is an amazing step up from my previous interface. I can hear everything nuance and detail of the sound which will be a great help to me in my editing work. If the inputs, converters and pre-amps match the sound I'm hearing (and I have good reason to believe they will be), I'm going to be very happy indeed. I did a lot of research about this purchase, but I am obviously an early adopter of this particular interface and there aren't many reviews yet available. However, I have a lot of experience working with the 8-XRs so it wasn't an ignorant decision. In my opinion, Prism Sound makes the finest converters available. As another poster on this thread observed, the ability to throw this box in a bag with a laptop and a couple of great mics could raise the bar on small kit location recordings.

I will be recording with this interface very soon, as well as comparing it to several other interfaces. Once I have some sound files, I'll post them for listening.
That's great! I look forward to hearing more of your thoughts!

-SD
Old 12th April 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonicdefault View Post
That's great! I look forward to hearing more of your thoughts!

-SD
+1
I dont know if i buy Orpheus or Ensemble(i need a new interface for my Rosettas 200/800) , i know that Orpheus is better than Ensemble , but i would like to hear(more) Orpheus
Old 15th April 2008
Gear Head

I've been using mine for a few days now, and I gotta say the thing is AMAZING. I never thought I'd be able to hear a lot of difference between the Orpheus and my old Fireface 800 but the difference is massive. In everything - conversion, preamps, everything! I'm hearing crystal clear sound for the first time.

I'm so pleased I bought one. Expensive but in the end worth it.
Old 16th April 2008
I think there is really no comparison between the RME and Orpheus, but thats another thread.

The Orpheus has an extremely fast transient response, with better T.H.D S/N specs than even higher end Prism converters. You will hear more detail through the attack and decay of your transients, as well as very wide spatial depth and open "reality" [really the only way I can describe the sound]. Its not euphonic warmth, like our Radar Nyquist provides, it just sounds like there is nothing digital within 20 miles of your signal chain; Similar to the reality of our Radar, but drastically different.

I think you'll find ALL of these converters are different in the end. From the RME to the Lynx to the Orpheus to the ADA. The Orpheus also offers a digital synthesized clock, different from the crystal based clocks found in the Lynx and the RME, which as we all know, [some more than others] sound different.

The Orpheus is ground up design and there were no punches pulled with its design, thats for sure. The depth is certainly remarkable to say the least, as well, there is literally ZERO noise coming through the unit. I'd say its ahead of others being mentioned in this thread, while those others are also great sounding converters, they are MUCH different Prism conversion, i-m-e.

I might also suggest, the choice for the converter is just as subjective as choosing a microphone or a preamp, etc...Hearing is believing.
Old 17th April 2008
Gear Maniac

Just to back up the glowing reports about the Orpheus.

I picked up a brand new unit from the Prism Sound offices today - and I am pretty blown away so far.

The clarity, transient response, instrument separation, stereo imaging is all simply stunning.

I have only tested the D/A side of the unit so far - playing back sessions I produced at Abbey Road and at Gemini Studios (recorded with Prism/Radar) + some reference tracks am very familiar with.

I'm using Logic 8 latest version, 10.5 latest version, 8 core Mac Pro with 2gb RAM.
Sessions are fairly modest track count - no more than 24 tracks, few plugs - no glitches, overload messages as yet. I am playing back from an internal drive so NOTHING but the Orpheus is on the FW bus.

I know its a cliche but I really did hear things in those reference tracks that I hadn't noticed before.

I dragged my wife into the studio and she was also blown away and said she had never heard music with that much detail and clarity before.

I found the setup software very easy - no full blasts of audio so far! But I do see how it could happen if the monitor volume is adjusted with a mouse and the virtual screen pot - it seems to have a very very slight delay and its tempting to impatiently click to a higher setting - which then results in a jump. A click in the wrong place could make the volume jump to high settings very quickly.

Headphone amp sounds superb and seems to have enough volume for my usages (primarily tracking single vocalists, acoustic gtr, keys - will try this out asap).

I'll be tracking thru it tomorrow.

Hope some GS's find this useful.

KD
Old 18th April 2008
Lives for gear

hey blah make a stunning wav file for us ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirk D View Post
Just to back up the glowing reports about the Orpheus.

I picked up a brand new unit from the Prism Sound offices today - and I am pretty blown away so far.

The clarity, transient response, instrument separation, stereo imaging is all simply stunning.

I have only tested the D/A side of the unit so far - playing back sessions I produced at Abbey Road and at Gemini Studios (recorded with Prism/Radar) + some reference tracks am very familiar with.

I'm using Logic 8 latest version, 10.5 latest version, 8 core Mac Pro with 2gb RAM.
Sessions are fairly modest track count - no more than 24 tracks, few plugs - no glitches, overload messages as yet. I am playing back from an internal drive so NOTHING but the Orpheus is on the FW bus.

I know its a cliche but I really did hear things in those reference tracks that I hadn't noticed before.

I dragged my wife into the studio and she was also blown away and said she had never heard music with that much detail and clarity before.

I found the setup software very easy - no full blasts of audio so far! But I do see how it could happen if the monitor volume is adjusted with a mouse and the virtual screen pot - it seems to have a very very slight delay and its tempting to impatiently click to a higher setting - which then results in a jump. A click in the wrong place could make the volume jump to high settings very quickly.

Headphone amp sounds superb and seems to have enough volume for my usages (primarily tracking single vocalists, acoustic gtr, keys - will try this out asap).

I'll be tracking thru it tomorrow.

Hope some GS's find this useful.

KD
Old 18th April 2008
Gear Maniac

Quote:
hey blah make a stunning wav file for us ...
the material I'm working on is for commercial release, so I'd rather not do that.

just trying out some latency testing - I'm no expert at this (and I'm just getting to grips with Logic after years of Pro Tools) but I hope some of you will find these observations helpful:

this particular session has 27 mono tracks and 3 stereo tracks - all of which were in playback when I did this test. Logic Channel EQ on each track, Sonnox Inflator on 2 tracks, no VI's or other plugs, so its not a particularly heavy session.

Recording a rimshot out of Logic via Orpheus D/A into my Ibis and back into Logic via Orpheus A/D at 44.1 with a latency setting of 64 = delay of 226 samples (which is 5.12ms correct?).

This is without the low-latency setting being activated in Logic.

I did this test 3 times and then shut down the Mac and restarted, ran the test again to check for random offset - none! Rimshot landed same place each time.

I realize the Orpheus software has a zero-latency mixer but I just wanted to check its performance in Logic first.

KD
Old 18th April 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Recording a rimshot out of Logic via Orpheus D/A into my Ibis and back into Logic via Orpheus A/D at 44.1 with a latency setting of 64 = delay of 226 samples (which is 5.12ms correct?).

This is without the low-latency setting being activated in Logic.

I did this test 3 times and then shut down the Mac and restarted, ran the test again to check for random offset - none! Rimshot landed same place each time.

I realize the Orpheus software has a zero-latency mixer but I just wanted to check its performance in Logic first.

KD
This is good news. What kind of Mac are you using? I have a 2.8 dual-quad on the way, so I'm expecting a notable improvement in latency with L8.

-SD
Old 18th April 2008
Gear Maniac

Hi SD

I'm using the model you are about to get: 2.8 dual Quad (ie. the eight core) Mac Pro.

2 gig RAM.

all software are latest versions.

I have Logic on the main internal drive, sample libraries, etc on a second internal drive, and am using a third internal drive to playback/record.

this leaves the Orpheus as the only device on the FW bus.

there is a minor issue with putting the Orpheus in standby mode at the moment - it causes my Genelecs to 'crack' quite loudly. Prism are aware and looking into it. The speakers also do a little 'pop/thump' when booting up the Mac too - not a big deal, but again something Prism are looking into.

KD
Old 19th April 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Hi SD

I'm using the model you are about to get: 2.8 dual Quad (ie. the eight core) Mac Pro.

this leaves the Orpheus as the only device on the FW bus...

o.

KD

This is what I need to do. I'm going to ditch my two FW devices, and go with only the Orpheus on the bus. As soon as I have that yard sale! I've considered the Burl too, and I guess it's one of my next purchase goals along with some NPNGs

-SD
Old 22nd April 2008
Lives for gear

makes me wonder!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Allen View Post
Hi Matt

Check this page for software info as well as pics of the software, click on the images to enlarge.

The only thing regarding driver compatibility with operating systems is that Orpheus will not be 64 bit Windows Vista compatible as that version bars all unsigned drivers. 32 bit will be fine.
I'll confirm Leopard for you, but is fine as far as I'm aware.

Chris
Hello Mr Chris Allen!

Just read your answer regarding the fact that Orpheus right now won't support 64 bit for Vista but only 32. My question to you is: Are you guys planning to ever update the drivers to 64 bit in the future or Orpheus will be only relase and saled for 32 bit OS? I'm asking this question simply because in my knowledge it looks to me that technology seems to take direction more towards 64 bit compatible drivers.

Any clarifiation on this matter will be welcome. And I'm asking this question because i am a RME user and with the PRISM reknown in Audio quality, i am starting to be intrested on purchasing an Orpheus but my fear is that i would not feel comfortable to purchase an hardware that would have some restriction in drivers development or on following where everybody "seems" to lead to.

Thank you very much
Old 26th April 2008
Lives for gear

I'm also very much interested in the Prism Orpheus, for it's audio quality, but RME is still the only company that I feel comfortable with when it comes to driver stability and speed.

Good soundcard/interface, bad drivers = useless. I really hope Orpheus is rock solid when it comes to drivers and future support.

Cheers!
bManic
Old 27th April 2008
Gear Maniac

just an update for those interested in Logic 8 - Mac Pro (8-core) - Orpheus performance.

I started my first 96kHZ session today using the Orpheus (my previous sessions were all recorded on a different setup at 44.1).

I was getting audible clicks using Logic's latency setting of 64, so I've gone up to 128. Perfect performance now.

I tried 32 setting for fun and the audio was totally broken up, digital artifacts, etc.
Old 27th April 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
just an update for those interested in Logic 8 - Mac Pro (8-core) - Orpheus performance.

I started my first 96kHZ session today using the Orpheus (my previous sessions were all recorded on a different setup at 44.1).

I was getting audible clicks using Logic's latency setting of 64, so I've gone up to 128. Perfect performance now.

I tried 32 setting for fun and the audio was totally broken up, digital artifacts, etc.
Exactly the same findings I had with Logic as well.

I have now moved back to Nuendo and version 4. It's an improvement over Logic for sure but you still cannot get down to 32 samples without problems either.

It has to be a firewire thing. Surely?

Paul

oh - just to clarify. Mac Pro 2008 model, 8 core 2.8ghz with 2ghz ram and Orpheus here as well.

And with Nuendo turning off multi processor support yields better results.
Old 1st May 2008
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roc Mixwell View Post
The Orpheus is ground up design and there were no punches pulled with its design, thats for sure. The depth is certainly remarkable to say the least...
Adam, have you guys at Mercenary compared the Orpheus with the Dream AD or the ADA-8?

I think that's what most of us are dying to find out...
Old 2nd May 2008
Here for the gear

Questions and comments about Orpheus

I'm a noob to the pro recording realm, but want to start out right. I'm not totally lost because I have a good ear and have a substantial background with elec engineering. I must say that Prism publishes specs the way they should be... just about everything you need to know is given... e.g. LF and HF roll-off at many frequencies, etc. I can't seem to find this detailed info for the RME, Lynx, or other equipment that I read about... may be I'm not looking hard enough though.

I have a few questions about the Orpheus that perhaps a few kind folks wouldn't mind answering:

1.) What is the readability like on the 8 VU meters/indicators? I haven't seen this type of readout... what is it? Is the read out very responsive or more averaged/filtered,etc than that of typical led readouts?

2.) Additionally, the link below is to a youtube video with an interview with a guy from Prism. At 27-30 sec, you can see the read outs... why does channel 1 have a red glow in it ... is this light leakage from the adjacent DP LED? If so, that may get on my nerves.

YouTube - SOS NAMM: Prism Sound Orpheus

3.) Volume control. Does the volume control knob carry out attenuation via software, or does it digitally control an analog attenuation circuit?

4.) It seems that software attenuation isn't too great since the D/A resolution is effectively decreased to say 10 bits, whereas analog attenuation would continuously (as opposed to discretely) attenuate the already converted high-res 24 bit signal. Is this right?

Thanks in advance for your input.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search