The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Digi survey about new Mbox products... Audio Interfaces
Old 31st August 2007
Gear Head

Digi survey about new Mbox products...

From the DUC:

"The survey was on a link in an e-mail that was sent to me from Digidesign.
I think if you subscribe to their news under your account, they regularly e-mail you the latest news.
In the survey, they are proposing 2 new imaginary products: Mbox Stick and Mbox Hidden.
Mbox Stick would be the size of an usb flash drive with 1/8 inch audio outputs, but no inputs. Mbox Hidden would simply require no additional hardware and play through the computer's existing soundcard. "
Old 31st August 2007
Lives for gear

What!?!?

The MBox Hidden would be one of the coolest things that Digi could do.... but, but, they wouldn't do that! Never!

If Digi makes that and makes ADC available for LE, they will truly offer the greatest Native DAW in the world.

Unfortunately, Digi isn't in the business of making the greatest DAW in the world. They're in the business of selling Hardware.

Particularly expensive hardware.

Offering these products would bite into that. It goes against their entire marketing strategy and business model.

I don't believe it for a minute. This absolutely must be a hoax, created by a user who would like to see these products developed.

No? Then give me a link to this "survey" and I'll happily participate!
Old 31st August 2007
Gear Head

Unfortunately, I don't have a link to that survey, altough I'd like...! However, here's the link for the post at the DUC:

DUC: To Digidesign Regarding the Mbox 2 Mini Survey
Old 31st August 2007
Check it out here:

http://akwww2.digidesign.com/diginews/2007/8-07/

Click on the 'Enter to win an Mbox 2 Mini' link, you get the entry by completing the survey. It is indeed true, they are considering these products, clearly.
Old 31st August 2007
Gear Addict
The hidden would be nice but the major problem is still the same. No 96K support. Stupid!!!
Old 31st August 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlehmann View Post
Mbox Hidden would simply require no additional hardware and play through the computer's existing soundcard.
I don't see it happening, but I have to ask..

What if my existing sound card looks like this..??
Attached Images
Digi survey about new Mbox products...-apogee.da16x.jpg 
Old 31st August 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmmrboy View Post

Woah! imagaine the possibilities....!!!! totally arrgghhh
Old 1st September 2007
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmmrboy View Post

For what seems like a decade, you can already use that and certain other high end converters with PT TDM systems.......................
Old 1st September 2007
Lives for gear

I really hope that they do the hidden thing. I think in fact it would keep me in Pro Tools land more than today. I think it would be great if Digidesign gave the Mbox hidden option to anyone that has the latest software registrered hardware.

Last edited by Stiff; 1st September 2007 at 09:04 AM.. Reason: Misread previous post
Old 1st September 2007
Gear Maniac
I'd love Pro Tools LE to run simply on the built in Mac Audio. This would be perfect for laying back in bed doing some sample editing with a MacBookPro and headphones. Limited to 8 Tracks would be fine with me for this kind of use. When i want to do proper mixing/editing/recording I would get back to the desk and plug in Digi Hardware. Similar to PTFree id pay for it tho? I just find PT the easiest and best sample editor, it just works in ways that suit me.
Old 1st September 2007
The survey was quite clear that both the hidden and stick Mbox flavours, should either of them ever exist, would allow playback only, no recording.
Old 1st September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by terminal3 View Post
The survey was quite clear that both the hidden and stick Mbox flavours, should either of them ever exist, would allow playback only, no recording.
But the 3rd option would include a line/di input, but no mic pre...
Old 1st September 2007
Gear Head

I use a HD system at work and I like the Mbox2 Mini for working at home. There's a mic pre in case I want to record something and decent outputs for connecting monitors. However, for doing simple work on the couch, in a plane or anywhere else, the Mbox Mini is still an hassle. Mbox Hidden would be really great. And yes, it should be free to any current ProTools user.

I know the business model of Digi is to sell hardware but let's be honest: Nobody's buying ProTools LE because of the hardware...My mac's still freezing 1 out of 3 times I hook up the Mbox!
Old 1st September 2007
Gear Maniac

There were also a few questions regarding iLok usage. So if Mbox Hidden comes to market, I'd guess it'll be in the form of an license on an iLok.
Old 1st September 2007
Lives for gear

We may wanna spread the word on this survey to get as many positive responses about the Mbox Hidden as possible.
Cheers!
-Mike
Old 1st September 2007
Lives for gear

One MBox Hidden for me too!
With Plugin Delay Compensation!
Old 1st September 2007
Gear Head

yeah, i´m in.
couchediting is the future

cheers jan
Old 1st September 2007
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by WindowSills View Post
There were also a few questions regarding iLok usage. So if Mbox Hidden comes to market, I'd guess it'll be in the form of an license on an iLok.
I think thats safe to say. My PTMP works like that.
Old 1st September 2007
Gear Nut

I think the mbox stick is a great idea. I'd buy one the second it came out.

I'd really just like a mbox that has maybe 6 line in/2 line out. No preamp, no spdif, nothing except maybe a headphone jack. Imagine that matched with a nice lunchbox.
Old 1st September 2007
Gear Addict

+1 for Mbox hidden, just to be able to work on mixes on my laptop without taking any other hardware with me...

Digi could make a non-limited PT software that could work with any third party interface, but as they need to sell hardware, I think they will NEVER do it.

BUT the best thing Digidesign could do would be to improve the number of I/Os for LE/M-POWERED... I think I could really live without ADC, after all no other sequencer have it... but a NATIVE version of PT, even with its limited features but with unlimited I/Os would be definitely my next purchase.

Why not building a cheap, non-DSP PCIe card that could be hooked to the Digidesign or compatible converters for only I/Os ? A little bit like the 424 card from MOTU or the Symphony from Apogee. The software would be PTLE, limited to 48 tracks or maybe 96 with a new MP toolkit, would only run native RTAS plugins, no ADC, maybe some limited features, and could handle up to 16 I/Os per card (24 or 32 even better).

That would be a realistic option for Digi, as they would propose a REAL alternative to other native systems. Now, I don't think PTLE/MP is comparable to any other native software because of its track and I/Os limitations. And that $ucks for who wants to mix OTB...

My 2cts...

Mat
Old 1st September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by littlenemo View Post
BUT the best thing Digidesign could do would be to improve the number of I/Os for LE/M-POWERED... I think I could really live without ADC, after all no other sequencer have it... but a NATIVE version of PT, even with its limited features but with unlimited I/Os would be definitely my next purchase.

Mat
What are you trying to say? To my information Pro Tools LE/M-Powered is the only sequencer that does not have plugin delay compensation!
Old 1st September 2007
Lives for gear

This is cool. With m-box hidden and the digital i/o on mac book interesting possibilies open up. Oh wait, no recording.. Common digi.

M-box stick is no different than m-audio transit IMO.
Old 2nd September 2007
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacko View Post
What are you trying to say? To my information Pro Tools LE/M-Powered is the only sequencer that does not have plugin delay compensation!
Sorry, I was speaking of the virtual no-latency of PTHD for tracking. I use a console for cue mixes... Also I never felt the need for plugin delay compensation, never used plugins adding enough latency to be actually heard.
Old 2nd September 2007
Gear Maniac

The way the survey was structured it looks like they are trying to figure out the market for the stick. I doubt the other two will be an option based on the questions.
Old 2nd September 2007
Gear Addict

The M in Mbox stands for "Money".
Old 2nd September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surfkat View Post
The M in Mbox stands for "Money".

What???
Old 2nd September 2007
Lives for gear
I don't see why they wouldn't want to pursue something like a firewire or PCI card that accepted like 24 digital I/O from external converters.

A ton more people would jump on that than a freakin Mbox USB drive. Of course, this just amounts to the fabled "Mid" line of ProTools, but still.

I won't buy anymore Digi hardware until something between LE and HD comes out, if it ever does. I'm not interested in throwing down money for an auxiliary dongle, thank you.
Old 2nd September 2007
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonboy79 View Post
What???
It seem PoorGlory knows exactly what i am talking about. "M" stands for all the money Digi makes selling new versions of the same old crippled DAW.
Old 2nd September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surfkat View Post
It seem PoorGlory knows exactly what i am talking about. "M" stands for all the money Digi makes selling new versions of the same old crippled DAW.
Yeah it's so crippled I can't make any music with it. Why do you care? Or are you just trying to be cool and jump on the bandwagon?
Old 2nd September 2007
Gear Head

I agree that the survey seems to lean towards the release of the stick option. I've used an mBox for years and am about to buy a 003 rack. I remember when I first bought into PT, I posted on the DUC: Is there a way to run PT without the mBox connected? (What a newb...tutt) and since then have just gotten used to not being able to "couchedit".

Maybe that's what it should be called.

Pro Tools CE (couchedit)

Dave

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search