The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Digi survey about new Mbox products... Audio Interfaces
Old 2nd September 2007
Lives for gear

My impression of the mbox hidden:

YES! digidesign is going to charge us for something that, like the competition in its entirety, should already be a feature included! AWESOME!
Old 2nd September 2007
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by n8tron View Post
My impression of the mbox hidden:

YES! digidesign is going to charge us for something that, like the competition in its entirety, should already be a feature included! AWESOME!
hehhehheh
And STILL manage to cripple it in some way.
Instead of supporting this move, try telling Digi where to stick this software "dongle".
If they actually pull this off, they can sell ice cubes to eskimos.
Old 3rd September 2007
Lives for gear

They still need a mid-line product that can actually upgrade into HD territory..NOT trade-up.

LE needs a PCI(e) option. Unless someone has found that a PCI(e) firewire card is providing the same performance a true PCI(e) card would provide..IF Digi wrote robust drivers despite how they perceive it would affect HD sales

The survey was cool. I would love to have somethign smaller and lighter than the Mbox Mini, something I could use some velcro stickies to "backpack" it onto my MacBook Pro. Would be even cooler to have it provide a way to "backpack" an ilok onto that as well to conserve USB ports without resorting to a hub. With no phantom power and stuff to power, but still with line in's, there should be plenty of buss power for the Mbox mini-mini and ilok. Heck, make it so the ilok could be inserted into the Mbox mini-mini, and then ejected!

Alot of cool options these days, and once Digi gets the composer side of PT up to speed...
Old 3rd September 2007
Gear Maniac

I think that the MBox Hidden is a great idea and not necessarily one that would hurt Digi too badly. Of course, they are in the hardware business, but I feel that this new "hidden" or "stick" product is aimed at people who have a Digi Rig already and are looking to do some things in a more mobile setting. I don't think anyone interested in their first/only interface would rather spend $250 or whatever on a mbox stick, when they could get an Mpowered setup for comparable $$$

I wouldn't be surprised if they offered this "Ilok only" version of PTLE as an $150 add-on for existing users (a-la Music Production toolkit, etc.) and I can't say I wouldn't be interested in checking it out. There's so much productive stuff you can do just editing down tracks, or even experimenting with moving some stuff around in a song sequence that can be done "at home" on the couch or whatever.

Though, I kinda wish Avid would just buy Apogee, so PTLE can work with a Rosetta as a Firewire card. (Yeah, not gonna happen, i know).
Old 3rd September 2007
Lives for gear

))))))))))
Old 3rd September 2007
Lives for gear

Again, what the hell is the point of getting into a digi thread just to complain? Are your lives really that pathetic? If you don't like ptle, or don't use it then why the f*ck do you even give a flying ****? Just keep using your software of choice and save yourself some time posting by sticking to threads that are relevant to your situation. Seems like some of you are a bit attention starved and love seeing people agree with you.
Old 3rd September 2007
Gear Nut

+1 for the hidden!

I really don't want another stick because I already need one port of my Macbook for the iLok if I need to use 3rd party plugs. So if hidden would need an iLok, then it would already be covered.

Old 3rd September 2007
Lives for gear

Of the three options they give us, the "hidden" is the most useful for me... because if I am on the go it's usually just doing some editing and listening.

What they SHOULD do is just release PT LE for all hardware, with ADC and tight integration with the OS. I know it's not Digi's usually ways but this survey at least hints that they are thinking about making some changes. If they can't make flexible audio interfaces at good prices, just let others do it and the user choose his equipment. In my opinion, the best part about Pro Tools has always been the software and it's ease of use.

Who knows what they will do.... I use PT rarely because I only enjoy working on TDM systems and those are too expensive to own for my day today work.
Old 3rd September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikki-k View Post
They still need a mid-line product that can actually upgrade into HD territory..NOT trade-up.

LE needs a PCI(e) option. Unless someone has found that a PCI(e) firewire card is providing the same performance a true PCI(e) card would provide..IF Digi wrote robust drivers despite how they perceive it would affect HD sales
Good to see you again Nikki!
YES, LE needs a PCI option for sure... And they need to cut their HD price by half instead of doing the whole "HD light" thing heh
Old 3rd September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonboy79 View Post
Seems like some of you are a bit attention starved and love seeing people agree with you.
The recent illness on this forum...agreed

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search