The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Focusrite ISA828 Audio Interfaces
Old 12th November 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duardo View Post
As I understand it, the card for the 828 is an improvement over the one for the 428.
I believe it is an improvement as they're using the new TI Burr-Brown
chips (which were at the last AES in a few test products and sounded
great when mated up with a good clock). My only hesitance with getting
it is the clock they used and there's no clock specs in the manual.

jeff
Old 26th March 2008
Gear Head

I run 828 analog OUT (via DB25/XLR snake) to MOTU 896 (clocked by BigBen) and via FW to my DAW. It sounds great!
Old 27th March 2008
Lives for gear

i have not used an 828, i have however used a focusrite studio console for years(not forte), and the in the very same room the console was, were the 1073's from the 8068 that the focusrite replaced, i cannot stress how many times the isa110's were chosen for better sound than the original form the board 1073...of course i have seen many an engineer patch up those 1073's and never think twice about, but the ones that would a/b, would 90% of the time choose the focusrite, and ive been hearing the vanilla/boring rap even way back then, and never understood it....really the only thing the 1073's had on the 110's were the low end creaminess...but even that was up to debate...

also it is always funny to read or hear people slag the original isa series, while simultaneously kneeling down at anything that says neve on it, without ever realizing that indeed the isa series was a neve endeavor...

whatever, the isa stuff i have heard was good and pro.
Old 24th April 2008
Lives for gear

I too am curious here....Do the 828 pres sound like the 428 pres? Please only answer if you have directly heard both.
Old 27th April 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by pigpen View Post
I too am curious here....Do the 828 pres sound like the 428 pres? Please only answer if you have directly heard both.
I can tell you for sure that they sound exactly like the 428.
Me & Rich Tozzoli did a side by side comparison that i will post a session for soon for people to check out. We tested:
ISA828
ISA428
ISA115HD (original model pre from the late 80's)

We also tried in the same session..
Vintech 473 (at 300ohms & 1200ohms)
Neve 1066 (high only)
Inward Discrete+
ADL600 (all impedences)
API 512b

I have to say i was very impressed with them, the 828 & 428 were identical sounding, and my 20 year old ISA115HD sounded great too, but sounds a little duller compared to the newer ISA's due to it's age, but Focusrite absolutely re-captured the ISA sound in the newer ISA's.
As far as answering the question...... does the newer ISA's sound as good as the older ones, i can say YES for sure.
I will post the session for people to check out for yourselves.

My suggestion to anyone looking for a mic pre....... LISTEN AND DECIDE...... some of the opinions i have heard on the forums are far off from what i have heard with my own ears, but don't trust me or anyone else till you hear it yourself.

I also HIGHLY suggest Lynn Fustons 3D audio CD/DVD's..... they are an INCREDIBLE way to tune your ears to the differences in gear and also debunk some common myths that are floating around.

FYI- If you think an ISA828 or 428 is boring sounding, check the source or mic.... i think that they are far from boring.....

I will post back here when i post the session for anyone interested to check out, i also will include a video of how we did the test. I did this test as i wanted to try some multichannel mic pre's for my live recording rig......i will be buying some 828's
Old 27th April 2008
Lives for gear

Ok, Here's the link to the Focusrite ISA comparison session.
24bit/44.1k/Wave Protools 7.4

The ISA's were tested 2 at a time as i did not want to split the mic 3x, The same performance & mic into both pre's.
ISA828 & ISA428......... Then ISA828 & ISA115HD
The mic was a Neuman M49 in cardiod on a Gibson Hummingbird AC guitar.
Levels were matched on the ISA's......... Levels on the other pre's were matched by ear only......NO EQ WAS USED.
Analog out on all pre's was used only......into a Digi192, clocked by a Big Ben.

I will post the video soon of how it was done.

MEGAUPLOAD - The leading online storage and file delivery service
Old 18th August 2008
Here for the gear

comparison with millenia

Did Anyone made a comparison with millenia HV-3D ?
Old 3rd August 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by PMoshay View Post
Ok, Here's the link to the Focusrite ISA comparison session.
24bit/44.1k/Wave Protools 7.4

The ISA's were tested 2 at a time as i did not want to split the mic 3x, The same performance & mic into both pre's.
ISA828 & ISA428......... Then ISA828 & ISA115HD
The mic was a Neuman M49 in cardiod on a Gibson Hummingbird AC guitar.
Levels were matched on the ISA's......... Levels on the other pre's were matched by ear only......NO EQ WAS USED.
Analog out on all pre's was used only......into a Digi192, clocked by a Big Ben.

I will post the video soon of how it was done.

MEGAUPLOAD - The leading online storage and file delivery service
Thanks! Listened to your files, and man, how can anyone argue with that?
I mean its really clear! Man the 428 sounds great, and not so boring?! what the @#! are people talking about?!?!
I think this brings up the BS factor that floats around here, and other places, about how everything was always better in the past, or how only 'boutique' stuff can be considered 'high quality'.

DP
Old 3rd August 2009
We love our 828 .. we use it a lot on drum tracking ( along with an RTZ
for the overheads ).

Compared to the HV (which we also have), I would characterize the ISA828
as mild to moderately coloring while the HV is very transparent.

They're both great units, but the 828 has a remarkable price-point. I also
like the A/D option .. nice sounding converter from Burr-Brown and they
mated it with a pretty good clock.

jeff
Old 3rd August 2009
Lives for gear

I tried an 828 for review a while back. Its sounded ok but up next to my Amek CIB it was surprising how narrow it sounded. The bass extended almost sounded like it went down another octave on the CIB. Its not a bad piece in any way but it certainly was underwhelming..

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search