The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
So ... any interest in the EYB MegaSwitch M4 Double-Wafer???
Old 27th August 2007
Gear Addict

So ... any interest in the EYB MegaSwitch M4 Double-Wafer???

I was just on the phone this morning with Gunter Eyb, Luthier and designer of the MegaSwitch, (not to be confused with that brick - the SuperSwitch.) Many of Gunter's products are featured at such sites as Stewart McDonalds, but they choose not to carry his best stuff! For myself, the call culminated a year-long search for one of his double-wafer M4 MegaSwitches.

It all began innocently enough; I was going to upgrade the Pickups in my Ibanez RG760. I finally decided on the following replacements: Seymour Duncan TB-4 in the bridge, Seymour Duncan Quarter-Pound, staggered and tapped in the middle, and Seymour Duncan Hot Rails in the neck. I also upgraded the pots to a Dimarzio push-pull volume and replaced the tone pot with an EMG Strat Presence Control.

Originally, I was going to control the beast with Mini-Toggles, but I REALLY hate hacking away at my guitars, so I went looking for a five-way switch that would give me the maximum number of possible pickup combinations. That ended up being Gunter's, but actually finding where to get one has turned into a regular quest which ended this morning with the phone call to Germany.

I've got mine. (Well, I WILL have mine in a few days.) The question is: Is anybody else interested in obtaining one? I spoke with Gunter about becoming the North American Distributor for him, and while I’m not looking to make a fortune on these things, neither do I want to lose money, or end up with my cupboard full of them! heh
Old 27th August 2007
Lives for gear

ummm... what?

There's a Lou Reed lyric that says "Life's like Sanskrit read to a pony."

That's what came to mind, reading this post. I have no idea what you're talking about.

Maybe offer links... or something?

- c
Old 27th August 2007
Gear Addict

Sorry about that...

Yeah, you're right, links and stuff would be great, but the information is sketchy, at best. Only very recently did the English page come online. It can be found at EYB Guitars. The information, such as there is, can be found at Megaswitch Version M. (Acrobat Reader required.)

As I said, StewMac's, and others, offer the MegaSwitch models E, P, S and T, but the E+ model, and both the M models, are totally unavailable on our side of the pond, (except, as I did, by special order.) So, if I find sufficient interest, I'm considering becoming the North American distributor. Mainly because somebody else shouldn't have to go through this much crap if they want one.

(Great lyric, by the way )
Old 27th August 2007
Gear Addict

Your right, the details are sketchy. What exaclty does this do? Is it just a higher quality 5 way switch. Details details. Im all for slutting up a guitar.
Old 27th August 2007
Gear Addict

What it does is give you more options for pickup combinations. For example, the original wiring and five-way switch on my H-S-S Ibanez RG760 yields the following combinations:

As you can see, there is no position for running all the pickups, nor is there one for the bridge and neck together. Neither is there any provision for running out of phase. The Stacked M4 MegaSwitch provides the maximum number of combinations of anything I've found.
Old 28th August 2007
Lives for gear

hey i know very little about all this, and i don't know if this is in context, but if you go to GuitarElectronics.com Home Page and search for "5 way switch", it throws up a number of results... this link will probably take you to the relevant page directly.

in any case, all the best with your venture.

thumbsupthumbsup
Old 26th January 2008
Lives for gear

Let's bring this thread back to lifethumbsup I need an E+, found Banzai...any other ideas?

Andy
Old 12th February 2008
Lives for gear

Good news, I successfully converted a Type E Megaswitch (available in the USA) to Type E + (non available except ordering through Banzai or Eyb in Germany). It takes about 5 minutes and requires basic soldering skills. PM me if interested.

Andy
Old 26th August 2008
Lives for gear

Here's an ebay store that carries these, no affiliation

Schaller Megaswitch 'E+' Model - eBay (item 380053753455 end time Sep-07-08 12:42:15 PDT)

Andy
Old 27th August 2008
Lives for gear

I would buy a couple!!! I have the E model in my strat with an EMG SA set
plus SPC....I love how the middle position enables neck+bridge for that
Tele sound and it switches fine,nice and quiet even with active p/u's.

I had no idea there was an "M" model. I'm the kind of guy that loves to
get as many different tones out of a guitar as I can. I wouldn't mind having
the middle pickup by itself back,plus some other options to go crazy with.

I would buy a second for the next strat I'm going to build with passive p/u's.
Old 26th May 2010
Here for the gear

Yes, I'd really like to get an eyb M switch! Please post link if you know where to get em

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search