The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
NEXT GENERATION OF PRO TOOLS??? Desktop Synthesizers
Old 22nd August 2007
Gear Addict

NEXT GENERATION OF PRO TOOLS???

I am going to upgrade my setup from 002 to Pro Tools HD3.
I am just a bit worried that Digidesign will release a whole new system pretty soon because the HD system has been out for 5 years now... It must be close...
Don't you think?

I found this timeline of Pro Tools releases in wikipedia:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pro_Tools

It kinda indicates that something should be on it's way, right?
Should I wait purchasing HD?
Old 22nd August 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sugarman View Post
I am going to upgrade my setup from 002 to Pro Tools HD3.
I am just a bit worried that Digidesign will release a whole new system pretty soon because the HD system has been out for 5 years now... It must be close...
Don't you think?

I found this timeline of Pro Tools releases in wikipedia:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pro_Tools

It kinda indicates that something should be on it's way, right?
Should I wait purchasing HD?
There isn't....trust me. I've had a million conversations with a couple guys over there and their answer is always the same.... "why?". HD is still more the enough for 90% of the consumer base. If anything, they'll make new process cards like when they added the Accell stuff, but even that is probably not till this time next year. This is why digi is making speakers, icon/venue, and more software options then ever....making up for the money they can't count on when they do Upgrade the hardware.
Old 22nd August 2007
Lives for gear

I'm with you

I don't care what anyone says: It's definitely a bad time to jump into Pro Tools HD. I'm in the same position as you are. Unfortunately I have to do it now. Every sane instinct tells me that the timing couldn't be worse. But what can you do?

I waited to buy my new MacBook Pro 17" and I'm happy I waited. The new version is amazing. If I had bought it this Spring, I would have lost out.

So, yeah, I'm buing HD now. I know I'm gonna feel stupid this winter.

Or maybe Digidesign will take pity on me when the new technology arrives? Y'know, offer a really economical and considerate upgrade path...

Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha!

- c
Old 22nd August 2007
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver Sonya View Post
I don't care what anyone says: It's definitely a bad time to jump into Pro Tools HD. I'm in the same position as you are. Unfortunately I have to do it now. Every sane instinct tells me that the timing couldn't be worse. But what can you do?

I waited to buy my new MacBook Pro 17" and I'm happy I waited. The new version is amazing. If I had bought it this Spring, I would have lost out.

Or maybe Digidesign will take pity on me when the new technology arrives? Y'know, offer a really economical and considerate upgrade path...

- c

yeah, I know exactly how you feel. I am in great doubt here as well!
"Should I stay or should I go?!"
Old 22nd August 2007
Gear Maniac

man, i wish i'd waited a year to get my macbook pro... instead of core duo, i'd have core 2 duo! not to mention one less year of having a macbook pro!

seriously though. there's always gonna be something new. i usually don't like those people who say "i'm making music just fine on what's out NOW- stop complaining/asking for new features/speculating." but in this case, think about it: protools hd is a serious system, for making professional recordings, that will last you a long time. even if something new comes out the day after you buy your hd system, it's not like you'll be out however much money you just spent. you'll still have a great product, that you fully intended to buy. you just won't have the "latest and greatest."

so the question you have to ask yourself is... do you feel lucky? punk?

Old 22nd August 2007
Lives for gear

Ever consider side stepping. Continue using your current PT setup and test out something Native.

Logic 8 (soon)
Cubase 4, Nuendo 4 (soon)
DP 5

It would be a cheap experiment that could prevent $10,000 upgrade disappointment.
Old 22nd August 2007
Lives for gear

All of you have made very valid points...especially joenovic, but let me just say this again.

I GARANTEE NO NEW HD ANYTIME SOON
Old 22nd August 2007
Lives for gear

When you say soon what do you mean

Are you referring to the next few months or.......
Old 22nd August 2007
Gear Maniac

Quote:

- c
I work on tracks that are over killed ranging up to 50-75 tracks on my HD2 accel rig and it takes it like a champ running on a Mac g5 SINGLE 1.6 even mixing itb

So if they release something new who gives a f*&K...if you want better hardware...buy a prism sound or an apogee converter....viola. Problem solved.

Pro Tools software will still be the same regardless of new hardware...and the Accel cards are super powerful still.

But I will say as a side note...some of the new plugins coming out are DSP hogs...so it is starting to get close to the time I should buy another ACCEL card if I plan on mixing ITB in the future
Old 22nd August 2007
Gear Addict

I've heard that digidesign may be unveiling something at the next convention (cant remember which, AES I think), whether it is true and what it will be I have no idea.
Old 22nd August 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by joenovice View Post

Logic 8 (soon)
Cubase 4, Nuendo 4 (soon)
DP 5

It would be a cheap experiment that could prevent $10,000 upgrade disappointment.
Cubase 4 is already released
Old 22nd August 2007
Gear Addict

Quote:

- c
Well - Digidesign at least offers an upgrade path.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Junkie View Post
I've heard that digidesign may be unveiling something at the next convention (cant remember which, AES I think), whether it is true and what it will be I have no idea.
Well, Fall AES is what a month and a half out.
Old 22nd August 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by True North View Post
When you say soon what do you mean

Are you referring to the next few months or.......
Let me rephrase, and then answer your question. Digidesign will not release any new hardware that isn't compatible with the current HD Systems for at least a year...AT LEAST.

Now in terms of COMPATIBLE new I/O or process cards...that's a whole other story.
Old 22nd August 2007
Gear Nut

A friend called GC looking for a digilink cable for 192's.
The GC dude told him they were discontinued.
When my friend asked what was up with that the GC dude said it was "hush hush" but that Digi had something new getting ready to happen.
Grain of salt.
BTW Digi still offers digilink cables in their online store.

Old 22nd August 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quickpunch View Post
A friend called GC looking for a digilink cable for 192's.
The GC dude told him they were discontinued.
When my friend asked what was up with that the GC dude said it was "hush hush" but that Digi had something new getting ready to happen.
Grain of salt.
BTW Digi still offers digilink cables in their online store.

yeah that's a little wierd...cause I just bought one from GC on monday...hmmmm
Old 22nd August 2007
Lives for gear

With technology, you never regret waiting, unless you lose productivity. Jump in only when you're forced to by need.

-- c
Old 22nd August 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by C_F_H_13 View Post
Let me rephrase, and then answer your question. Digidesign will not release any new hardware that isn't compatible with the current HD Systems for at least a year...AT LEAST.

Now in terms of COMPATIBLE new I/O or process cards...that's a whole other story.
like what for instance?
Old 22nd August 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by C_F_H_13 View Post
yeah that's a little wierd...cause I just bought one from GC on monday...hmmmm
That's not weird. GC reps are generally full of crap. Do you know how many times GC reps told me Kurzweil was out of business simply because they weren't selling them? Do you know how many times I've asked a rep for a weird cable or device just to be told it doesn't exist? And then when I go pick it up off the shelf I get an attitude like I'm the stupid one!

The day the Profire Lightbridge came out I went to GC to order one and the rep simply said it wasn't out yet. No matter what I said he wouldn't check into it. I told him it came out today and he started getting mad! Luckily Austin has two GC's so I just went to the other one and the rep there looked it up and ordered it for me. Sheesh!!!
Old 22nd August 2007
Just buy your HD system/// you will benefit more working with your HD system than waiting for a system that nobody knows when is coming...can be a year from now....
anyway a HD system is powerful enough to don't have the hurry to degign new processing cards....anyways the converters are an important part..and third parties are up to date with this.....same with Plug ins....PT is growning more with the software ....

so buy it now.....do not waste your time!
Old 23rd August 2007
Lives for gear

The cable hasn't been discontinued, and won't be for a long time. They still make the cables for Mix systems, which have been discontinued for years. When GC stops carrying a product their computers list it as "discontinued"...maybe this particular store stopped carrying them? Maybe just that one particular length?
Old 23rd August 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by lozion View Post
like what for instance?

I was speaking in general terms...I don't actually know of anything...I swear
Top Mentioned Products

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search