The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Steven Slate Drum Samples v1.5 ELITE MIXER EDTION.. MP3s Posted
Old 18th September 2007
Gear Maniac

The first free snare sample is almost done folks, I'm setting up the webpage now.

Some oldies but goodies:

vintage samples:
www.stevenslatedrums.com/demo/vintage.mp3

rock samples
www.stevenslatedrums.com/demo/stevenslate20.mp3

Joel
Old 19th September 2007
Lives for gear

FREE SNARE Z1 and Z4.. Who Wants It??

Ok folks. So I finished the new "Snare 19". It can actually be considered an ELITE MIXER sample since it was designed with the feedback of TWO great mixers.

Snare 19 is a very tight maple snare but with tons of BITE. Hear IN ACTION with its Z4 real room ambience sample, and also accompanied by ELITE MIXER KICK 13 and a bit of its Z4:

www.stevenslatedrums.com/demo/elitemixer5.mp3

So the question is... you guys dig the snare? Do you want it for FREE? Let me know and I'll GOG it up and have a link to download both the wav and GOG Z1 and Z4 set. But I want some feedback!
Old 19th September 2007
Gear Addict

Steven,

It's definitely a snare type, sound and feel you don't already have in there. I think it would be marvelous for high energy pop stuff and I can see it getting used a lot by people working with very dense mixes.

Gog it, upload it and make your followers happy!

GM
Old 19th September 2007
Lives for gear

Great !!!
wooww!! very good!!
For free ??
Old 19th September 2007
Lives for gear

Def a much tigther snare than oany of the other snares very sweet sound dude! we want a download haha
Old 19th September 2007
Gear Addict

I'd love to be able to add it to the collection via free download...!!
Old 19th September 2007
Gear Addict

I think that free snare19 will be a great compliment to all the others and give the set even more versatility. Thanks Steven.
Old 19th September 2007
Here for the gear

Sounds great! Thanks for it Steven
Old 19th September 2007
Lives for gear

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bang View Post
Ok folks. So I finished the new "Snare 19". It can actually be considered an ELITE MIXER sample since it was designed with the feedback of TWO great mixers.

Snare 19 is a very tight maple snare but with tons of BITE. Hear IN ACTION with its Z4 real room ambience sample, and also accompanied by ELITE MIXER KICK 13 and a bit of its Z4:

So the question is... you guys dig the snare? Do you want it for FREE? Let me know and I'll GOG it up and have a link to download both the wav and GOG Z1 and Z4 set. But I want some feedback!
What a question! Of course we want it for free! Sounds great, btw, and it is a different type of snare, for sure.
Old 19th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bang View Post

Nevermind the fact that you're giving it up for free download. I love that snare! It sounds great and would fit rock or pop. If anything, include it in 2.0!! But free is great, too!
Old 19th September 2007
Lives for gear

Glad the feedback is good thus far. Its a really nice snare with a tight crack and biting attack which sounds really good in a lot of modern rock. Some guys have said its also a bit Deftonesy like a higher pitched version of Snare5 which I can hear.

Right now we are working with our web group on the free download, since there will be a high volume of downloads, we need to put it on its own server and this is taking a bit of time, so until then, here is the FREE Snare19 with Kick13, if you haven't chimed in yet, feel free to! heh

Old 19th September 2007
Lives for gear

Old 19th September 2007
Lives for gear

steve i have a quesiton for you if i may, when you are mixing with augmentation or replacent samples and you are parallel processing the drums, say with squash/smash drum buss compression, do you also send the replacemnt samples to this buss as well, or do you just buss the samples to the unprocessed drum buss/2buss?

i always have this question on my mind and im looking for a non "use your ears answer" hehe

thanks and great samples
Old 19th September 2007
Lives for gear

hi steven,

again a killer sound, I think it could get a lot of use in nu-metal heavy guitar oriented stuff where you need something to really cut through because usually there's a lot of layers in such mixes
Old 20th September 2007
Lives for gear

Thanks very much guys. For about 5 DAYS, you'll be able to download the free SNARE 19 ELITE MIXER SAMPLE SET in both Wav and GOG format. Go to Steven Slate Drums and scroll down till you see the word FREE and click it. If you don't already own my collection and love what you hear from Snare19 and other demos, consider buying one of the three sample libraries. Ok kids, go get em.

Here is the demo again of Snare19 again with Kick13 and their Z4s:

ALL THIS WEEK THE ELITE MIXER PACKAGE IS REDUCED by $30 dollars!
Old 20th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJunk View Post
WOW. Actually, its more like I can make my 9 x 12 drum room sound like the Record Plant with Chris Lorde Alge mixing the drums.
Junk
Actually, I'm sitting here with Chris and got a good smile out of that. Steven Slate has been over here to have us check out the samples and Chris and I agree, THEY ROCK HARD. No joke. They're kick ass, no question about it.

JVN
Old 20th September 2007
Is Drumagog Basic good enough or do I need to go w/ the Drumagog Pro? Is there an advantage to having all those extra options when using these samples and gog files?
Old 20th September 2007
Lives for gear

Hi all.

I recieved my 1.5 upgrade a few days ago, and wanted to come on here to let you know my thoughts.

I primarily use the snare samples for augmentation, sometimes full triggering for stuff like metal. Of course, I do use the kicks alot, and sometimes the toms, but for me the snares are upmost importance, so thats what I tried first.

First impressions; the new snares are FAT!

They are a lot thicker and lower than snares 1-10, which is great as the Slate samples now cover more ground.

For augmentation of a good snare but played soft, snare 5A blended in gives it the crack it needs, but for modern metal/hardcore...snare 15 is absolutely perfect!
Go listen to "alive or just breathing" by Killswitch. Thats the sound snare15 makes!

Im a happy man already with these snares!

The Kicks are absolutely fantastic too! I used kick 17 Z1 with a tiny bit of notch EQ for a deftones style drum sound. Watch this space for a demo coming soon.

Fat toms are the tom samples Ive been trying to find for years! Perfect metal/heavy rock tom samples.

Kudos to Steven and all at Yellow Matter for not only a great product, but really great customer service. You guys are some of the most welcoming Ive come across.

Oz

PS: I plan to have the deftones demo in the next couple of days. Its a a drummer playing the intro beat from "around the fur", (played a bit wrong, but close enough)
Old 20th September 2007
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Resonater View Post
Actually, I'm sitting here with Chris and got a good smile out of that. Steven Slate has been over here to have us check out the samples and Chris and I agree, THEY ROCK HARD. No joke. They're kick ass, no question about it.

JVN
WOW! This is cool info! Do you and Chris Alge have any specific samples from the set that you favor? Damn this is cool!

I just did two songs for a friend's band with snare5 (sounds like a perfect mix of the deftones snare and Tool Aenema snare) and kick 13 and it blew their minds how huge the drums sounded. Z4s still loving them.

The 1-10 collection have some great bite and I am very partial to Snares 4,5,7 and really all the 1-10 kicks are great. But I agree Ozzy that it seems the Elite snares especially are thicker and some are tuned fatter. Snare14 is my favorite snare sound ever I think. Snare 15 is great too I'll have to try mixing that in with this new hard rock tune I just wrote and am recording.

Last I got to say thanks for the new snare19! Awesome. Again, very deftones/Tool to my ears.

Ok THIS is the last thing... so is there ANY schedule to get the 2.0 stuff out? I have been writing so much music and I'm tired of asking my drummer friends for favors, they're bound to start charging me!
Junk
Old 21st September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Resonater View Post
JVN
I gotta say, its really cool when you get guys like John Van Nest and Chris Lord Alge thinking the samples kick ass. Now John, if I could only find a way to sample the atmosphere of Resonate, then I'd really strike it rich. Even the bathrooms at Resonate are cool and have a great vibe. I'm not joking folks!

Ozzy I can't wait to hear your Deftones "around the fur" loop. I studied that album quite a bit when designing some of the samples, like Snare5 and again with the FREE Snare19.

Junk its great to hear you are still loving the hits, you've been an early on supporter and I can't thank you enough. I'm working hard to get out the 2.0 programmers packs by early October. It'll give the drum software industry a nice kick in the face for sure.

So again, if you haven't yet, DOWNLOAD SNARE 19 for FREE by scrolling to the bottom of
Steven Slate Drums

and hear it in action now with Elite Mixer Kick13:
Old 21st September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJunk View Post
WOW! This is cool info! Do you and Chris Alge have any specific samples from the set that you favor? Damn this is cool!
Junk
Junk,

I'm going to have to check in with Chris' assistant to get his take on your question, but I can say that I started with the Elite Series (snares 11+), and they were fantastic. I ended up working with Erykah Badu through last weekend and wasn't able to delve further, but hopefully THIS weekend, I'll get a chance to check out the original 1-10 set. What I can say at this point is that Chris and I were both mucho impressed, and I think there's a real wealth of good stuff in Steven's collection. Certainly blows away the Bob Clearmountain set from some years ago, and I'll have to check out the Andy Johns and Joe Barresi drums to comment on those, but for sure, Steven's stuff is TOP F*CKING FLIGHT. End of story.
Old 21st September 2007
Lives for gear

Hey Bang,

Got my 1.5 Project in the mail yesterday. WOW WOW WOW...

This really makes my job so much easier, its rediculous.

Not only do your samples sound incredible, but its saving me so much
CPU not having to process the kick and snare to death.

I just cant tell you how happy i am with this. Its the best upgrade ive
made in over a year. And for a measley 99 bucks!!!!!!!!

Totally insane.

People!!! If you dont have these samples, you need to go out and get
them right friggin now...period

Toddk
Old 21st September 2007
Lives for gear

Todd thank you so much for chiming in, you are one of the first batch of people to use the new PROJECT pack. The Project pack has some of my absolute favorite samples including one Elite Mixer Snare and one Elite Mixer Kick.

Can't wait to hear some of your mixes.

Here is another demo of Snare19, this time with Kick4.. notice how I automated Snare4's Z4 UP during the chorus to keep it 3D amongst the guitars:

www.stevenslatedrums.com/demo/elitemixer5B.mp3

FREE ELITE MIXER SNARE 19, scroll to the bottom of the page and click FREE:

Steven Slate Drums
Old 22nd September 2007
Lives for gear

All the reverb on the snare is from the Z4, there was no reverb plugin used.

I make sure to put the snare Z1 fader up so the snare is punching nicely, and then I send the aux slider fo the Z1s track to the stereo aux track where Drumagog is set on the Z4.

The whole mix went through the URS CSP on my 1980 preset, 4:1, attack10, taking off 2db.

Let me know how that works.

FREE SNARE 19 DEMOS:

Old 22nd September 2007
Lives for gear

I'm getting the Elite Mixer package for sure....but I'm up in arms over whether I should buy now or wait for 2.0. I want all the goodies in 2.0 and it's only a few weeks away, right? I'm getting ready to start tracking for an album with a rock band and I won't need the samples for about a month...
Old 22nd September 2007
Lives for gear

Hows everyone liking that cracky Snare19? Pretty deftones sounding?

Myriad, there will be an upgrade path from the 1.5 packages to the 2.0 packages, but if you would rather wait since you don't have any projects at the moment, that makes sense.

Speaking of 2.0, calling all Kontakt, EXS, Battery, Halion, Structure, and Reason users in the Los Angeles area, email us at [email protected]

Last, here are the two demos with the FREE SNARE 19,

first along with kick13:

and then with kick4

Old 23rd September 2007
Lives for gear

Loving snare19 steve, So cracky and punchy, not cracky and thin like so many snares that i hear in collections that claim the all mighty crack. Those example tracks you posted are pretty badass as well and are honest and true to how the sample sounds in a mix - so SWEEET! and of course a big thanks for the download on that sucka!
Old 23rd September 2007
Lives for gear

Thanks Jake. Whats great about the gearslutz guys is that many of you actually took the time to write us to say thanks and that makes this even more worth it. This free sample giveaway stuff is fun.

Besides the Deftones and Tool comparisons, we've had quite a few guys say they hear a bit of Chili Peppers in the sample too. It'll be up there for a few more days, go get it!

demos of Snare19
www.stevenslatedrums.com/demo/elitemixer5.mp3 (with kick13)

www.stevenslatedrums.com/demo/elitemixer5B.mp3 (with kick4)

Thanks
Old 23rd September 2007
Lives for gear

Bang, what were the announcements you were going to make this past week? You said that after the fact of snare19 so it must have been something else.
Old 23rd September 2007
Lives for gear

Yeah we have some news coming, not ready to post quite yet, next week probably...

But hows this... We're giving away four copies of the ELITE MIXER EDITION drum collection... here is all you have to do. Use FREE Snare19 and make an mp3 demo with some music. Then post it in this thread. Do this by Wednesday. We'll randomly choose four of the entries in a drawing and those posters will get a free sample disc. Yey!

demos of Snare19
www.stevenslatedrums.com/demo/elitemixer5.mp3 (with kick13)

www.stevenslatedrums.com/demo/elitemixer5B.mp3 (with kick4)

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search