The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Steven Slate Drum Samples v1.5 ELITE MIXER EDTION.. MP3s Posted
Old 28th August 2007
Gear Addict

Thumbs up

Steve makes the drums rock
Old 28th August 2007
Lives for gear

Thank you moses!

Randler, Express shipping is 1-2 Days US and 3-5 Days International, I think you'll be happy!

Animus, I agree it is weird that there are no problems in Windows. I'll talk to Rim more about it today, but for now, I'm changing the format to have the Elite Mixer GOG in three folders. It should be easier to navigate with this system too. So thanks again Brent.
Old 28th August 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by briefcasemanx View Post
I think I heard in the past you talking about possibly making videos on recording or mixing drums, and putting them on your site. Is that still going to happen?
Yes this would be awesome to see )
Old 28th August 2007
Here for the gear

Splitting up the Gog files totally worked for me in OSX. Bang, absolutely loving the Elite Mixer addition. kick 12 and snare 18 are my favorites. The only question I have is that on all the new snares, is there the "ultrasoft" option on all of them?? i noticed not all of them had it..but i wasnt sure if that was the way it was supposed to be or if it had to do with the whole OSX not seeing the full library thing. peace!

*Edit-nevermind on the ultrasoft...i noticed it was snares 10 and below which were the original Version1 samples. These samples are so amazing...ill be spending more time at night with these samples, rather than with my wife!
Old 28th August 2007
Lives for gear

We are starting production soon on a really cool drum tuning, micing, and mixing tutorial that will cover THREE different styles of music (and therefore different micing/mixing styles). It will have three awesome drummers featured too, stay tuned.

How is the OSX fix working for you guys? And you guys loving the Elite Drums or what! everyone is writing us via email, but make your voice heard publicly!
Old 29th August 2007
Gear Guru

Yeah, I noticed some of the drums/mics had inconsistent numbers of velocity levels and alternate hits.

Bang, should the z1 and z4 samples be synced together according to there number? For example, snare11z1_Crack1 should be paired up with snare11z4_Crack1. It was easier for now to program them Round Random in Battery 3. Obviously with two instances of Drumagog each triggering z1 and z4 samples independently I don't see how they could sync consistently if you know what I mean. I don't know if it even matters.
Old 29th August 2007
Lives for gear

Animus, the Elite Mixer Series has an added velocity on both the snares and toms. The actual hits per velocity depended on what I was hearing. If I was loving a lot of hits, I'd keep more for the crack and hard velocities. You'll get away fine with using 4 hits per velocity, the hits are pretty consistent but the 4 unique hits will fool the ear and will sound very natural during fills.

I've found that mixing Z4 and Z1s is fine, they do not have to be the same number, it still sounds really good. All my demos are done with Drumagog which randomizes the Z4 and the Z1 and they worked great.
Old 29th August 2007
SRS
Lives for gear

OSX

Well, I see that one other OSX user had success with the file/folder split. Glad that it worked for them as well. I have not seen any other OSX complaints, so... assume it did the trick. Glad I could assist. SRS (Brent)
Old 29th August 2007
Lives for gear

Brent so far this fix has seen success with a lot of guys, our new disc ships pre-split into the different folders. Thanks again.
Old 29th August 2007
SRS
Lives for gear

Right on Bang. BTW, I read a previous post that indicated there may be a pre-delay issue with some of the samples. I have not had time to really work with them yet. Did I read that correctly? If so, is there a fix for it? Thanks, and you are welcome. I love helping others achieve success, no matter how small even.
Old 29th August 2007
Lives for gear

The kick samples seem to have a bit of noise in them.
Old 29th August 2007
Gear Maniac

Hi TRS,

For any issues or bugs, PLEASE report them, with specifics and details, to
[email protected]

Without knowing exactly how you are using the samples, which samples you are using, and what workstation you are using, it is impossible to know the source of the noise, or if its even on the sample. Please email us for support and we'll definitely help you out.

There have already been fixes and we can help customers out immediately by way of email.

The newest version with bug fixes was printed today, it fixes the Drumagog OSX bug, as well as the Maple Tom3 Z4 bug. Again, email us and we will help you fix them too.
Old 29th August 2007
Gear Addict

Steven the Elite Mixer drums have inked you into the book of drum legends. I can't believe how fat they are. Kick12 you have to tell me how the hell you mic a kick to get that sound. I bought a D-6 because I heard you said you like them and I can't get it to sound good. It sounds really clicky. Also Elite Mixe Snare14!!! Pleeeeease tell me what snare this is! I've seen you reveal that Snare9 is a Black Beauty so I'm hoping you can tell me what Snare14 is because its the perfect sound for so much stuff I do. I bought the i5 for my snare drum and its not bad but I still need to eq it to get it to sound even close to your stuff. What do you use for under snare?

Also I did a mix for a metal band that also hired another guy to do the same mix and they are going to choose the best mixer to have mix the rest of the album. I used the new metal kick on the elite mixer GOGS (it was Kick15 Z3) and Snare14 of course. The drummer came by last night to pick up the mix and I played him a snippet of it and he litterally goes "holy ****. the guys are going to like this" so I think I might get the gig!
Also, the Fat Toms of the Elite Mixer stuff have a really nice cutting hi end that I can't seem to duplicate. Can you talk about what mics you used to get that sound? Sorry about all the questions man but I got a new drum kit and I really want to work on getting better sounds now that I hear what can be.
Junk
Old 29th August 2007
Lives for gear

Junk I'm glad you are liking the Elite Mixer Edition hits.

I love the Audix mics but I did use a variety of mics. Watch how you point the D-6 as it already has a great deal of attack. The i5 is a really cool snare mic, again, watch how you point it, and a little eq is OK! I wish you the best on getting that gig, although from hearing your recent stuff, I have faith that you'll nail it! A lot of my top metal guys are going gaga over the new kick15 metal kick so its good to hear you're loving it.

As for what drum is what, there are some politics involved with that but I'm working on it.

NEW DEMOS from the ELITE MIXER EDITION:

www.stevenslatedrums.com/demo/elitemixer2.mp3

www.stevenslatedrums.com/demo/elitemixer3.mp3

www.stevenslatedrums.com/demo/twilight.mp3
Old 30th August 2007
Lives for gear

The real trial of a drum sound is the mastering process. In a condition where dynamics are being completely squashed, can the drums still stay punchy?

Check out these two fully mastered mixes I did, both peaking at RMS -9.1, commercially loud:

Kick1a mixed with Elite Mixer Kick11, Elite Mixer Snare 12A:

www.stevenslatedrums.com/demo/lcslutz.mp3

Kick4 and Elite Mixer Snare14:

www.stevenslatedrums.com/demo/asslutz.mp3
Old 30th August 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bang View Post
The real trial of a drum sound is the mastering process. In a condition where dynamics are being completely squashed, can the drums still stay punchy?

Check out these two fully mastered mixes I did, both peaking at RMS -9.1, commercially loud:

Nice! Steve do you have a real fast attack (compression) on the OH mics? I am trying to get mine to be more smooth like that first track.
Old 30th August 2007
Gear Addict

man, Steven those mixes sound enormous. The drum sound is obviously huge but what I want to know also is how you make everything sound loud in the mix but not over powering each other. Whenever I make my guitars lounder, I have to move my vocals up then I have to bring my drums up and the cycle starts over. is there a trick you do to make everything sound loud in the mix but also make everything sound even and clear? Is it mix bus compresion settings? Also I didnt know that you mixed 2 samples together, do you do that a lot and whats the purpose of doing that? I have like a million more questions so maybe i should just PM you. But anyway, the Elite mixer samples are the best sounding drums Ive heard. Sorry for all the questions.

Junk
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bang View Post

Old 31st August 2007
Lives for gear

Junk, a lot of it is frequency and space tailoring. If you have two elements in the mix with the same frequency range in the same space, they'll clash. If you tailor them a bit and move one to the side a bit, they'll work. Mix buss compression does help them all live more happily as well.

Anyway, I'm glad you are enjoying the hits. We've got some new audio demos coming soon, as well as some really cool new endorsees coming on board!
Old 2nd September 2007
Gear Maniac

LABOR DAY WEEKEND ONLY STARTING NOW AND ENDING MONDAY 12 AM PACIFIC US TIME:

STEVEN SLATE DRUMS ELITE MIXER EDITION ON SALE FOR
$209, AN 80 DOLLAR SAVINGS!!!

CLICK HERE TO GO TO ORDER PAGE
Old 2nd September 2007
Lives for gear

Wink Lil Steven Slate 1.5 User Review ...

Just picked up the newest Steven Slate sample set 1.5 Elite Mixer Version after Using the version one first incarnation for months since its been out.. I have been using (and maybe abusing) all the hits as drum helpers and to supplement and or replace drums totality and or partially aiding. I usually tend to leave some snare and kick to leave some of the drummer s dynamics but that’s just my preference. I have heard a ton of mixes done on 100 % by Steven slate users and some of Stevens demos on his page and they sound killer that way no doubt! Im just another anal drummer (: I replace all the hits manually in slow tools using tab to transient, cut and paste. I own drumagog as well and highly recommend it to Steven slate sample users plug. Anyway thought I’d give e on update on using the original version samples (1) and on the new samples Steven just put out the elite mixer edition 1.5.

The way I typically work with bands when im doing an ep or record is I will record drums to a click (sometimes a scratch guitar and vocal track if the drummer wants it) and then I will edit the drums and so on. I spend a good amount of time getting drum sounds and im usually very happy with my drum sounds. 10 guitar, 8 vocal , 2 keys, bass, etc etc tracks later the drums don’t seem as big as they did when it was just the drums and the scratch tracks, and I’m scratching my head trying to figure out why the drums just don’t sound as big anymore. Of course if I thought for a second and realized that all those beefy guitar and bass tracks that sound amazing on their own but when compared to the drums now the drums are small and thin. Subtractive eq on the other instruments will only help this issue a drop but the real answer adding and supplementing the drums with samples but not just any samples, samples that have some nice ambience and smack to them. Steves new 1.5 update and elite mixer series include both z2 room as well as z4 ambience (and of course z1 and z3) to really add depth and HUGE ness to your drums and help them stick out in those dense 100 track mixes . Just make sure to use them on a stereo aux or audio track to get those full room sounds a mono track wont do the trick (:

It was love at first sight for sure, I really liked the way steve recorded/ processed and went about putting together his original samples, they all had something to offer and lot of the samples reminded me of stuff very similar to how the drums sounded on a lot of big records the big guys are mixing a few mixers come to mind….Randy Staub- all the kicks and snare 10-z1,z2 and so forth , all the kicks just have the right amount of sub and punch, the perfect top end and all that juicy drum tone .
And-
Chris Lord Alge , Snare 8 from version 1. Combined with any of the other snares for the deep grainy but still crack full snare (all American rejects, daughtry ,hoobastank stuff) really remind me of that cla drum mix.

The new “elite mixer edition 1.5” left off right where version one started, but adding a bunch of new Punchy radio ready samples that Steven slate is famous for My fav so far is snare 14z1,z2 and kick12 z1. There really is a wide variety of snares, toms and kicks for everyone from pop to country to metal to blues etc etc. I could prob go on but I don’t want to bore you all to death but I really do believe these are the best samples to come out in years and your in for a treat with the new 1.5 elit mixer series the z4 ambient samples are really slick and amazing in adding TRUE room sound to your mixes . I don’t work for steven slate samples just a happy customer and I appreciate great product when I see one and their friendly customer service doesn’t hurt either (:

PS. The toms don’t get enough love and they all kick major ass!!

Buy it and see for youself.
Old 2nd September 2007
Lives for gear

These sound great!

Anyone know of similar products for pop, r 'n b, hip hop, dance and others?

Any suggestions?
Old 2nd September 2007
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic Nomad View Post
These sound great!
Anyone know of similar products for pop, r 'n b, hip hop, dance and others?
Any suggestions?
For acoustic drums, Steven´s are the best and will cover any drum sound on any style that you mention (if you need real drum kit sound).

If you need electronic & other type of sounds to complement for dance and the like, Spectrasonics RMX is the best bet IMO, both Steven´s and RMX will sound great combined.
Old 3rd September 2007
Here for the gear

Hi!

Received the 1.5 update and sounds great for the little time I had to try it out. While checking the hits in action, I did a premix of a metal tune using
KICK 15 Z1 and SN 14 Z1 & Z4 on a programmed drum track

http://www.badolatomusic.com/music/H...omusic.com.mp3

Thanks Steven & YellowMatter for all

Cheers

Guillermo
Old 3rd September 2007
Gear Maniac

That sounds fantastic man! All our big metal guys are going crazy over Steven's new kick15, the "METAL KICK2". Its got the fatness and thickness to beef through everything, with the same classic top end smack that a metal kick needs. And the top end smack isn't small and tiny, its wide!

Here is another all programmed mix by MarchHare, its Kick11 (with some Z4) and Snare7 (with some Z4). All the guitars he mixed with Line6Gearbox!

www.stevenslatedrums.com/customers/marchhare1.mp3

And remember there is a stupidly crazy discount on the Elite Mixer Edition going on RIGHT NOW until midnight tonight pacific time.

Joel
Old 4th September 2007
Here for the gear

Thanks Joel Steven´s drum sounds are a pleasure to work with!

MarchHare´s mix sounds great, cool to see that he is also recording his guitars with Line6Gearbox

Cheers

Guillermo
Old 4th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by YellowMatter View Post
LABOR DAY WEEKEND ONLY STARTING NOW AND ENDING MONDAY 12 AM PACIFIC US TIME:

STEVEN SLATE DRUMS ELITE MIXER EDITION ON SALE FOR
$209, AN 80 DOLLAR SAVINGS!!!

CLICK HERE TO GO TO ORDER PAGE
just purchased one copy
Old 7th September 2007
Gear Addict

I gotta say that one of the most fun things about the slate drums is discovering new favorite samples. I dont know how I missed it, but kick 10 is the ultimate kick drum. For the past three days Ive used it for everything and it sounds so damn good. I have a feeling that a lot of the top mixers are using this kick cause I hear this similar sound on the radio.

Also I gotta say again, Z4's rule. Counting down the days til v2.0, please keep us updated.

Junk
Old 7th September 2007
Lives for gear

Who stole my name?
Old 8th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJunk View Post
I gotta say that one of the most fun things about the slate drums is discovering new favorite samples. I dont know how I missed it, but kick 10 is the ultimate kick drum. For the past three days Ive used it for everything and it sounds so damn good. I have a feeling that a lot of the top mixers are using this kick cause I hear this similar sound on the radio.

Also I gotta say again, Z4's rule. Counting down the days til v2.0, please keep us updated.

Junk
I designed Kick10 for augmenting but a lot of guys like it apparently by itself. I've found myself turning to good ole kick 1 a lot recently.

2.0 is coming, we're working hard on it for sure.
Old 9th September 2007
Lives for gear

was diggin through the collection and found an old favorite of mine, KICK3. This is the Z1a version of Kick3 along with Snare12A, this is a fully mastered mix so pay careful attention to the fact that you can still hear the punch of the drums even though there is very little headroom..

www.stevenslatedrums.com/demo/lcslutz2.mp3

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search