The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Steven Slate Drum Samples v1.5 ELITE MIXER EDTION.. MP3s Posted
Old 24th August 2007
Lives for gear

Very cool to hear you liking the Z4s. You can literally make a little bedroom sound like a huge studio room with those puppies, I'm use them all over the place. A tiny touch of kick Z4 adds a lot of depth too.

BTW, lets try to keep the new 1.5 thread the one to post on for anything regarding the drum package, leaving the old 1.0 thread to retire.

new demos:
www.stevenslatedrums.com/demo/elitemixer2.mp3

www.stevenslatedrums.com/demo/elitemixer3.mp3

www.stevenslatedrums.com/demo/twilight.mp3
Old 24th August 2007
Here for the gear

I'm probably the longest lurker on this forum. I remember seeing Jules post on the old rec.audio.pro where I also used to do some lurkage. Anyway like many others its time to delurk for this product and I'll tell you why.

Two years ago I spent everything I had on an HD3 system and bought a spot in the Valley (Los Angeles) to set up shop. It was a stupid move because I struggled to get clients and the competition became so fierce that everyone was charging pennies. My father was on my back to pay him back the money I owed him and I was about 24 hours away from selling my whole studio and applying to Guitar Center. The thought makes me sick.

I bought Steven Slate Samples in February and like everyone else who has bought them I was pretty amazed at the sounds. That same week I bought them I went to the Whisky to see a friends band. After the band played I talked to the singer and played him some mixes I had done that day with the Slate Drums off my ipod. I still remember I used kick1A and Snare10 Z1. The singer loved the mix and the band came in for a meeting and booked me to record and mix their whole next album which I did the following two weeks. This is getting long and I too sound like an infomercial so I'm going to cut to the chase. Since that band I've been working nonstop. I'm not saying that the drum samples are the only reason I'm working but it definitely helps having those big ole drums in my mixes.

So what really broke my posting cherry is the arrival of the Elite Mixer drums yesterday. I can't even begin to tell you how big these new drums sound. I got like one hour of sleep last night because I couldn't stop trying them all out on mixes. Snare14 is a snare sent from Drum Heaven. But they are all good and its really sweet that its all free. So like a lot of others said here, best 200 I've ever spent. I've got one song now that is going to break into clearchannelmusic.com top alternative charts and its thrilling.
R
Old 24th August 2007
Here for the gear

RSKoan,
you are the longest lurker (as you say) but this is your first post.........it's strange.......
It seems you are another person tutt.............
Old 25th August 2007
Lives for gear

Hey jamesone, we've had quite a few gearslutz lurkers honor our product threads with their first posts and we know RSkoan and he's a real talented dude whose name you will surely be hearing soon.

Further more my friend, with 5 posts yourself, the first talking about how cool the Elektromorph Drums are (wouldn't ya know they are a competitor) and the other four talking about.. wouldn't ya know it, drums again, I'm a bit suspicious of you tutt

Don't hijack my thread and accuse my customers of bs please.

RSkoan the mixes you sent me sound great and we will be posting one with your permission in the CUSTOMER MP3 page on our site.

Now back to topic
Old 25th August 2007
Gear Nut

Are the Z4 samples a new room samples or it's the same waves of the Z2 ambiance but without the dry signal ?
Old 25th August 2007
Here for the gear

bang i'm sorry it wasn't my intentions to cause problems bud! ya know part of the reason why I didn't post sooner was to avoid this exact issue but when the guy from vitaetmusica delurked I thought what the hell.

I just emailed the band and I'm sure I'll be able to let you use some clips for your site. The drums are awesome and you guys are awesome. Best of luck but you're not going to need it.

R
Old 25th August 2007
Lives for gear

Steven, the new drums sound great

I'm having the same issues with OSX and Dgog. I've had dozens of emails since the latest "Pro Support Update". I've emailed Wavemachine Labs about it.

[/hijack]

sorry, please pass thru
Old 25th August 2007
Lives for gear

Ok few things:

Z4 vs Z2:
The Z2s were printed with the room mic from the start and tweaked from there. The Z4s were tweaked with just the room mics and we did a lot of beta testing with mixing them wit the Z1s. Therefore some may think that combined with the Z1s, they might sound a bit better, but I love the Z2s for quick stuff when I want some ambience. It also only takes one instance of stereo drumagog rather then setting up the aux etc. But for the most part, I'm using the Z1/Z4 combos now when I want ambience.

RSKoan you did nothing wrong at all please don't apologize and on the contrary thanks for your kind words and I think you have a great future, your work sounds great.

BlueRoom, thanks very much, you've been a wonderful supporter from the start. Everyone on OSX is having issues with Drumagog not seeing the whole directory, I'm talking with Wavemachine about a fix, please email them for support as well.
Old 25th August 2007
Lives for gear

Hi Steven,

I just got the Elite Mixer drums upgrade today and I'm very pleased with your work! They sounded great on the couple of tracks I put them on.

I did notice, however, that there were a few editing boo-boos on a couple of the new samples. I can hear someone saying "medium" right at the end of the sample. Of course, in a mix there is no way you can hear it but if you want to investigate it any further let me know and I can tell you exactly which samples they are.

Anyways, they congrats on the Elite Mixer Samples release and am so glad I got on board with your guys early and got the free update. I'm sure these will be an industry standard soon...if they aren't already!
Old 25th August 2007
Lives for gear

haha, please report any of these issues to us at [email protected]

thats kind of funny. While editing I did hear a few little things and thought I get them, but I'm sure a few slipped by after doing a few thousand of these edits.

There are also a very few amount of discs that have a 2db Left Right descrepency with Snare11A Z4, but it was fixed and most of you probably don't have that.

Thanks Scott,

NEW DEMOS:

www.stevenslatedrums.com/demo/elitemixer2.mp3

www.stevenslatedrums.com/demo/elitemixer3.mp3

www.stevenslatedrums.com/demo/twilight.mp3
Old 25th August 2007
Gear Nut

Hey Steven what about some nice sidestick samples , do you plan that in the future ?
Old 25th August 2007
Lives for gear

We're going to release some FREE sidestick sample sets and also a FREE reggae snare.
Old 25th August 2007
Gear Nut

Great news steven Is that going to be soon ?
Old 27th August 2007
Lives for gear

Those demos sound incredible the z4's add so much depth and realism to the already great z1,z2,z3 lines
Old 27th August 2007
Gear Nut

Has anyone had any issues with Slate 1.5 elite mixer edition...I installed it the other day and only 3 samples show up in my drumagog sample menu....snare9z2, snare9z3, and snare9z4...if I put version 1 back in the gog file folder all is back to normal...please give me hand????
Old 27th August 2007
Lives for gear

Something is weird about Drumagog recognizing the whole Steven Slate Drums 1.5 Em folder with OSX. It might have something to do with the massive amount of samples in the folder, but until I talk to Rim tomorrow, I don't know.

Can someone on OSX try this:

Take 50% of the GOGs OUT of the Steven Slate Drums Folder and put them in another folder. Then see if Drumagog reads them all. Either way a solution is inevitable.
Old 27th August 2007
Lives for gear

I've tried that with my library which has about 110 gogs for the kicks, and that does nothing either. Everything made before the OSX Pro update is fine, anything after is not. We'll have to wait for Wavemachine Labs to come up with a solution. It has nothing to do with the Slate library, I'm sure.

Can someone else with OSX try this and confirm ...

Open a gog and take everything out except for the Heavy hits. Now rename and save the gog. Can you do it? I get error after error, 2 weeks ago it worked fine. It's a Dgog/OSX thing.
Old 27th August 2007
Lives for gear

ahhh so there was recently an OSX PRO update issued from Apple? Ok, that makes sense. I'm sure Rim from Drumagog will take care of the problem quickly.

For now, go to Main Page, Browse, and choose your sample GOG individually. Takes an extra 5 seconds until the fix is released.
Old 27th August 2007
Gear Guru

Hi Bang,

Did you get a chance to check out those Mapletom3 Z4's that seem to have space at the beginning of each sample?

thanks
Old 27th August 2007
Gear Maniac

Depending on the sample, the Z4s are one of two rooms.. one room had a natural predelay of about 3-5 milleseconds.. but I'll check out the maple tom Z4s to see what the deal is... but overall, how cool is the Z4!! I have recordings that I did in tiny little rooms that sound HUGE now. Love it!
Joel
Old 27th August 2007
Gear Guru

We are talking delays ranging from 123 ms to 500 ms on the Maple Tom3 Z4's. I like big toms but that is too big! ;-) Open the wavs up in a editor and you can see the delay with the naked eye in the waveform.
Old 27th August 2007
Lives for gear

Thanks Animus this is a bug and just got fixed!
Old 27th August 2007
Gear Guru

Thanks Bang. I already did a temp fix here already but thought I would give you a heads up.
Old 28th August 2007
Lives for gear

OK. So thanks to our customer Brent, we think there is a temporary FIX to the Drumagog Folder problem in OSX.

Do this:

Make 3 Folders called Steven Slate Toms, Steven Slate Kicks, Steven Slate Snares.

Now copy all my kicks to the kick folder, snares to snare folder, and toms to tom folder. Put these three folders in GOG FILES and you SHOULD be all set for now. Let me know from OSX guys if this works for you.
Old 28th August 2007
SRS
Lives for gear

OSX

This is Brent. I did just what Bang said to do in his last post and it worked for me. Make sure you have the three folders right off of the gog root folder. If you try and put them an additional folder out, Drumagog will not see them.

I actually counted all of the individual gog files to make sure they were all there, and they were. I sampled a few of them sporadically and they worked fine. Any questions on the OSX thing, let me know. You can also rename the folders to whatever you wish to keep them personal if so desired. I named mine "Slate Toms" "Slate Snares" and "Slate Kicks"... FWIW

BTW, I have a brand new Mac Pro 8 core machine with the latest of everything on it. Running the latest Logic Pro version. I have used the Slate samples for a while now to augment certain aspects of my acoustic drums on various projects with much success. Drumagog is truly a very nice interface for mixing in sampled drums (especially the Slate samples) with the acoustic drums.

Take care all. SRS
Old 28th August 2007

I think I heard in the past you talking about possibly making videos on recording or mixing drums, and putting them on your site. Is that still going to happen?
Old 28th August 2007
Lives for gear

I have joined up with some other great audio companies and recording studios and drummers and will be making a really cool tutorial video shooting next month.

OSX 1.5 ELITE USERS! Just got this from Rim from Drumagog. ALTHOUGH, it appears Brent's sub folder fix is working right? Anyway, Rim said:

"This can be caused when Drumagog finds a corrupted gog file in a folder.
When this happens, it will skip the rest of the gog files in that
folder, so you'll end up seeing only a few gog files listed (all the
files after the corrupted one won't be displayed). I suggest taking out
all the gog files out of that folder, then putting them back, a little
at a time, until you see the problem. That will help to narrow down
which file is the corrupted one. Then, delete the corrupted one so
Drumagog doesn't have this issue."

Please let me know guys, our OSX machine is out of the studio for another week.
Old 28th August 2007
Gear Guru

If that was the case with corrupted gogs wouldn't we be seeing that behavior in Drumagog on WIndows as well?
Old 28th August 2007
Here for the gear

I've been following this product for a few weeks now, and just put in my order for the elite mixer series today. I've been spending the last 3 years looking for this sound. Im pumped to get started mixing with these samples. I ordered with express shipping, does anyone know how fast it is? ahhhg, i can't wait. As a broke music producer, im pretty sure this going to be the best investment i've ever made. thanks!

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search