The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Prophet '08 Keyboard Synthesizers
Old 19th August 2007
Gear Maniac

Prophet '08

Prophet '08. 8-voice analog synthesizer

Last edited by mars; 19th August 2007 at 09:11 PM.. Reason: correction
Old 19th August 2007
Gear Head

holy crap
Old 19th August 2007
A33
Gear Addict

Old 19th August 2007
Gear Nut

About Time a true analog synth. Bring it on. credit cards is ready..........
Old 19th August 2007
Lives for gear

Let the lusting begin!
Old 19th August 2007
Gear Maniac

I first saw this on a few different synth blogs and was just in shock.

I cant wait...can you???
Old 20th August 2007
Lives for gear

Placing my pre-order tomorrow. Anyone want to buy a used Polyevlover rack ???

XJ
Old 20th August 2007
Lives for gear

Old 20th August 2007
Gear Nut

And at only $2000. where's my analog synth drooling bib. my hands are shakey and sweaty and the credit card is slipping........thumbsup
Old 20th August 2007
Lives for gear
would you get this over the polyevolver?
Old 20th August 2007
Gear Nut

8 voice over 6 ? pure analog no digital wave forms or VCA ,heck yeah.
There hasn't been an 8 voice analog since the 80's. Andy and even Omega have digital or software VCAs.
Old 20th August 2007
Lives for gear

so basically what kind of sounds can you do with this synth? Sorry but im kind of newbie to keyboards...though I know what are moog voyagers, clavia nord, hammond organs, rhodes etc
Old 20th August 2007
Gear Maniac

now now now now!
Old 20th August 2007
Lives for gear

Thumbs down

Maybe I'm too old to remember the old stuff (Analog ) synths.. Not moved.. Unless this thing has some cool presets, or you have to be or become a good programmer..

More of rehashing old technology for botique prices.. No way. I'll take the digital emulations...
Old 20th August 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by mars View Post
WHOA!!!

Shane
Old 20th August 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by DISCERN View Post
Boutique prices? You must be too old to remember the prices for new polyphonic analogs today. This thing is a bargin. A rehash of old technology? Its not a rehash of anything, it uses analog technology. Trying to pass digital off as analog? Now thats rehashing technology, digital can do so many cool things yet the world tries to make it mimic technology that it will never touch imo.
never??
Old 20th August 2007
F5D
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elak View Post
There hasn't been an 8 voice analog since the 80's. Andy and even Omega have digital or software VCAs.
Hmm, isn't the poly evolver 4 voice, not 6? Prophet 08, evolvers and Andromeda have digital control electronics for lfo's, envelopes etc. which means that also the vca is digitally controlled. Andromeda's signal path is analog altough it is digitally controlled.

Anyway, I would take the prophet 08 over poly evolver. No A/D- or D/A-conversion in the signal path and twise the voices.
Old 20th August 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
And at only $2000. where's my analog synth drooling bib. my hands are shakey and sweaty and the credit card is slipping........thumbsup

Where did you get that price from? Don't get me wrong, I hope the price is correct, but it seems a little too good to be true. Heck, even way back in the eighties you could not buy a good analog eight voice for less than five grand. Needless to say, I want one! (And a new Rhodes as well)

Old 20th August 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Well, actually it uses DCO's so I'm not sure about the "no digital wave-forms" bit..
Old 20th August 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonnypowell View Post
Well, actually it uses DCO's so I'm not sure about the "no digital wave-forms" bit..
A DCO produces an analog waveform, not a digital waveform. It is digitally controlled but it is an analog oscillator.

DP
Old 20th August 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonnypowell View Post
In the early days, DCO or digital controlled oscillators usually meant that the pitch of the oscillators was digitally controlled to keep the oscillators stable. The pitch of DCOs doesn't drift like that of VCOs. Also something of note is that digital control is required if you are going to store a patch in memory. Hence it is still a 100% analog signal.

Shane
Old 20th August 2007
Lives for gear
so the polyevolver isnt actually full analog signal path????

personally Id take a virus Ti over all of them. If heard one and it sounds amazing. only thing I dont like is using built in converters. Id love to bypass all that into much high end converters. but the virus does do things that blow my mind.

however for 2 grand this might be a steal. but only if it is reallllllly versatile. the virus is reallllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllly versatile.
Old 20th August 2007
F5D
Lives for gear

I guess people who think about purchasing the prophet 08 seriously, don't even try to choose between the P08 and TI. Virus sounds good but it's not an analog synth.
Old 20th August 2007
Lives for gear
I suppose.... but sometimes you can only afford one...
Old 20th August 2007
Gear Nut

Is it DCO or VCO?
VCO is pure analog, DCO is like old Roland MKS70, although now I can't remembe if MKS70 had analog filters. I don't think it did that's why I held on to my MKS80 which is VCO, VCA just like big brother Jup8.
as far as price, back in the days D550 cost 2500, Korg T3 cost 2700. and the list goes on and on. Now, full blown Omega is what 4,5K? Waldorf with analog filters cost 3500? woldorf wave about 8 or 10K when it was first released.
So 2K for this even if it is DCO is ... I want it now before the price goes up.
Old 20th August 2007
Lives for gear

There is nothing wrong with DCO's. Much more stable and sound just as good....unless you like your tuning drifting all over the place
Old 21st August 2007
Gear Nut

There is perfect analog drifting and there's old old synth drifting which is annnoying.
Drifting is what gives the analog it's random character and warmth.
nothing wrong with DCO.. I agree. MKS70 and junos are one of the best sounding synths even now for strings , pads and brass.
Old 22nd August 2007
Old 22nd August 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by xj32 View Post
Anyone want to buy a used Polyevlover rack ???

XJ
IMO you'll sell it easily. Box is good.
Still I think Polyevolver and Prophet 08 are two different beasts and each will have its own strength. I don't even think to be without PEK(+rack for 8 voices).
It can't be too much good analogue synths

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search