The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Prophet '08 Keyboard Synthesizers
Old 1st November 2007
Lives for gear

I'm out of room for another keyboard too and I'm trying to be wall wart free for now on. Boo on the cheap external power supply.
Old 1st November 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by WTMNMF View Post
My wife got me one for my birthday! I've got lots of analog synths and I'll tell you that this thing is an instant classic. I can't wait for a rack mount version so that I can add more layers to a patch. The '08 is really fun for me to play and I can't imagine that others won't feel the same. I am more (ok, wayyy more) of a synthesist than a keyboardist, and it really fits my style. There is plenty for the keyboardist as well.

hehhehheh
If my girl ever bought me a Prophet '08 I'd ask her to be my wife!

Congrats.
Old 3rd November 2007
Gear Addict

I dreamt i was playing around with the prohpet 08 last night, It sounded realy nice, I want 1
Old 3rd November 2007
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drone View Post
...the screen was a bit difficult to read but manageable. Personally, I would have like to have seen a larger screen for a few hundred more, but I guess they wanted to keep the entry price down to appeal to a broader market.
True, and a little puzzling! It's funny how the little things get missed and become a big deal.
Old 3rd November 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshroseman View Post
Just for the record, the Andy is capable of a big, pure analog sound.

to really get at it, you have to route it through the aux outputs; this takes the digital FX conversion stage out of the chain.

Other nice thing about the A6 is you can adjust the "slop" factor for the DCO's manually. If you loosen it up, it sounds like something that's been fermenting in the attic for a while. The pitch drift is also great- if you choose not to autotune it, you can get a nice, authentic swampy, festering sound.

Indeed the A6 is a fat sounding synth and has all the warmth of the past analogs. Download a few sound clips of the Mks80, Jp8, cs80, Ob8, tb303 and compare the bass, leads and pads on the A6. Every bit as fat in the sound department. The asics vco's do have an individual character, which makes the andy very unique sounding imo.

Just to correct - the A6 is all VCO (32 of them), not DCO.
Old 3rd November 2007
F5D
Lives for gear

The A6 manual also says that they are real VCOs. At least my andy is totally out of tune before it gets warm ~ 15 minutes. My juno106 was always in tune right after turning it on and it has DCOs. So I somehow believe that the a6 has VCOs.

To stay in the topic, the P08 looks great. I will get one next year.
Old 4th November 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by F5D View Post
The A6 manual also says that they are real VCOs. At least my andy is totally out of tune before it gets warm ~ 15 minutes. My juno106 was always in tune right after turning it on and it has DCOs. So I somehow believe that the a6 has VCOs.

To stay in the topic, the P08 looks great. I will get one next year.
Hi,

They are definately VCO's (heated type chips) under some form of dsp control for autotune and calibration.

Back on topic, i'm in for a Prophet 08 in the new year of 2008. I need to make some space first...lol. I am going to get a non se version. I am thinking of selling my matrix 1000, as the p'08 can do oberheimish sounds too.
Old 15th August 2008
Lives for gear

since the Prophet 08 has balanced outs, can one run direct into a Mic Pre?
Or would a Direct in box still be needed to change the signal to mic level?

I assume the P08 outputs would be rather hot...

thanks in advance.
Old 15th August 2008
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by desotoslo View Post
since the Prophet 08 has balanced outs...
They are unbalanced.
Prophet '08 8-Voice Analog Keyboard Synthesizer Specifications

Orren
Old 15th August 2008
Lives for gear

I stand corrected! That's what late night sloppy googling will get me. Thanks, Orren thumbsup

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search