The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
A Designs New "Hammer HM2EQ" I'm blown away! Effects Pedals, Units & Accessories
Old 18th August 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by not_so_new View Post
So I am still looking around for "The 2 Bus EQ" this might be something I will put on my list to try. Anyone know when this will be available? Peter, you out there?
Not_so_new,

How've you been?

We just started our first run and they should be completed by the end of this month.
With any luck from UPS and Fed_ex (NOT) our Distributors and domestic Dealers should have them by early Sept.

Looking at a retail of 2800.00 or so and a street about 22/2300.00 MAP.

Please don't hold me to those EXACT prices but that's a good ballpark figure.

Thanks everyone for your support!!

Peter
Old 18th August 2007
Lives for gear

OOOOppps

I forgot to insert a little better picture for you!
Attached Thumbnails
A Designs New "Hammer HM2EQ" I'm blown away!-copy-hammer-side-face2.jpg  

Last edited by Peter Montessi; 18th August 2007 at 04:18 AM.. Reason: Typo
Old 18th August 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Montessi View Post
Not_so_new,

How've you been?

We just started our first run and they should be completed by the end of this month.
With any luck from UPS and Fed_ex (NOT) our Distributors and domestic Dealers should have them by early Sept.

Peter

Very cool Peter. I am really looking forward to checking one out. I have been on the fence about a good 2 buss tone shaper with vibe. This sounds like a "vibe" boxm exactly what I am looking for.
Old 18th August 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Montessi View Post

Peter
Any chance of a Lunchbox version!!? (Sorry, just saying what everyone's thinking).
Old 18th August 2007
Lives for gear

Hi Peter,

You mentioned before on here about the unique design of this EQ. You don't have to give away any secrets , but care to shed a little light on what makes this one different from a technical standpoint, what the EQ curves are like etc?

Maybe you have some pictures of the little elves in there?

Is the sound of this one similar to the sound of other A Designs tube gear? (Hoping so, I've run mixes through the MP-2A just to get the sound of it on the whole mix).

Thanks!
Old 18th August 2007
Lives for gear

This is some really interesting news!!

I love my pacifica till death, but a big brother is always welcome!
Old 18th August 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogervandeberg View Post
This is some really interesting news!!

I love my pacifica till death, but a big brother is always welcome!
No doubt, the Pacifica and Hammer are a pair made in heaven, and I'm not religious.

It sounded great on male and female vocals, as well as acoustic guitar. Just last night, I ran my Fender P. bass, and it was oh so sweet. I've been telling some close friends about it. Everyone's pretty excited.
Old 18th August 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by not_so_new View Post

Very cool Peter. I am really looking forward to checking one out. I have been on the fence about a good 2 buss tone shaper with vibe. This sounds like a "vibe" boxm exactly what I am looking for.
Definitely have a listen to this box. I had the opportunity to hear it recently when I was assisting Ronan Chris Murphy.

The first test was to send some drum mixes through the Hammer and the difference was night and day. The drums already sounded great but with a little tweaking from the Hammer they sounded killer!

For those requesting the Hammer in white, I have to say it looks damn nice just the way it is.
Old 19th August 2007
amd
Lives for gear

Hi Ronan!

Thanks for your insight! Since I already have a pair of EM-PEQ's, I was just wondering if the Hammer would compliment them. I am glad that they are different animals. I love my EM-PEQ's..........actually, all of Peter's gear that I have kicks major ass!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcm View Post
Monster truck vs. Ferrari

The functionality of the Hammer is really straight forward. Its a dual mono unit with 3 bands of high mid and lows that can do 12dB of continuous cut or boost. Each of the bands has a fixed Q and 6 pre determined frequency points for each band. in addition there are fixed high cut and low cut for each channel. I have griped a little about some of the labeling of some of the A Designs stuff ( actually just the labeling of the MP1A) but the Hammer looks great and the labeling is very good and intuitive. A previous poster said it did not look too great, but he might change his mind when he sees it in person.

The sound is where it really gets exciting. The Hammer is all about gorgeous smooth top and high mids. As a guy with a pretty rock and roll aesthetic when something is described as smooth I usually equate that kind of boring but not this one. Its just awesome. It totally opens up the top and brings high mids forward in a really pleasing way. I actually found myself getting into trouble because the high end boosting is so smooth that you can do a tons of boosting without getting ugly, that its really easy to go way too far (a lesson learned from my first mix with the Hammer) I am just not used to being able crank the top on the rock cymbals so much and have them stay so smooth.

The EQ points are fixed, but they are really well chosen and I was never felt frustrated by it. My classical engineer pal was a little disappointed that the cut and boost were not de-tented (like an API) but it never bothered me (I actually prefer it). I was not really sure about the need for a fixed high cut, until I tried a big 5k boost on some electric guitars and was able to use the high cut to get rid of that hash on top (that was accentuated by a 5k bell boost). On an instrumental guitar album I am currently mixing, it "made" the record.

On a drum buss and drum OHs it was stunning (made the drummer I was working with flip out), as well as 2 buss work. The Hammer is all about smooooth. I will not say names of other companies, but there are other EQs that get described as smooth or "classy" that I actually find pretty boring, but the Hammer is very musical and plenty Exciting. Its sort of Classy in a new Ferrari sort of way rather than a 1980s Cadillac sort of way.

Being a big fan of the A Designs EM-PEQ, I had some expectations about the "A Designs EQ sound", I was completely wrong! This is a completely different beast. Where the EM-PEQ is all about mojo and aggressive character. The Hammer seems all about smooth EQ that does not really draw attention to its self. I found myself twisting knobs and feeling like I was not really hearing the EQ do that much, but then I would bypass the unit and it was like night and day. I have been lucky enough to have a Hammer and a pair of EM-PEQs in my studio for the last month and the two are extremely different. For me the EM-PEQ is sort of like a monster truck (I mean that as high praise), where its a beast that is great for dramatically altering and sculpting sounds. It can turn a wimpy kick into the kick drum of the gods, but the Hammer is the Ferrari that is more about being sleek. (OK this metaphor does not really work.) I would use the EM-PEQ to inject cool things into a sound, and the Hammer to bring out cool things in a sound.

The EM-PEQ really shines in the lower end and the Hammer really shines in the higher end. The EM-PEQ has this great muscular solid low end that I have probably only heard on an original Pultec, and its high end is great for really pushing some character into a track or mix. The Hammer on the other hand does not have the crazy mojo low end of the EM-PEQ, but its ability to smoothly boost highs and high mids in a beautiful way that really opens up the top and brings things forward without drawing attention to itself is amazing. I was able to crank 10k over 10db without it getting harsh at all. Scary.

The fixed Q means The Hammer is not a surgical tool, and if you are looking for really aggressive character you would probably better served by a pair of EM-PEQs, Pultecs or API 550A, but for smooth, transparent and musical I have not sure I have ever used anything better. This is not too say its limited. I have been using it on a record on a band sort of similar to Tool for the last week and the Hammer was amazing all over the place. For instance on crunchy heavy guitars its a great tool to really push up the aggressive sounding parts of the guitar with out the EQ adding its own aggressiveness. In the last month I have used in on mixes for a hard rock band, and instrumental guitar record, and a folky singer songwriter. It blew me away with all of them.

Another engineer I really respect described the EQ as "the best EQ" he had ever used, and another a pal of mine said, "there must be something in the water over at A Designs".

So in short its stunning. If you are looking for really aggressive low end or surgical, the Hammer is not the way to go, but for just about anything else, it totally kicks ass.
Old 20th August 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by robot gigante View Post
Hi Peter,

You mentioned before on here about the unique design of this EQ. You don't have to give away any secrets , but care to shed a little light on what makes this one different from a technical standpoint, what the EQ curves are like etc?

Maybe you have some pictures of the little elves in there?

Is the sound of this one similar to the sound of other A Designs tube gear? (Hoping so, I've run mixes through the MP-2A just to get the sound of it on the whole mix).

Thanks!
Hello robot gigante,

I wish I could tell you and Brad more about this unit BUT there are some very innovative ideas in there and we applied for a Patent on this puppy.

I can tell you that there is a unique filtering system before the signal hits the tubes that allows the even harmonic to flow through. It's a hybrid design.

This is not in anyway close to the MPA Series....the only thing they have in common is they both use Valves!

Have fun!
Peter

Last edited by Peter Montessi; 20th August 2007 at 05:33 AM.. Reason: Spelling
Old 20th August 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by lpkyer View Post
DON'T ! They hate light and will eat your soul !
So basically we all need 2 EMPEQ and a Hammer?
Hello lpkyer,

I saw Ronan place 2 mics on a kit and ran it thru the Hammer and the EM-PEQ!
Within minutes (so it seemed) he had a KILLER sound on the kit that blew me and Dave Pearlman away.
But Dave is EASY!! hehheh

Also before we even let these First Articles out of the shop the little Elves had to sign an NDA.

Again, the Hammer is one exciting piece of gear that just has me jacked up!!!

Have fun,
Peter
Old 20th August 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by amd View Post
Hi Ronan!

Thanks for your insight! Since I already have a pair of EM-PEQ's, I was just wondering if the Hammer would compliment them. I am glad that they are different animals. I love my EM-PEQ's.......... !!!!
They are extremely complimentary. Its really hard to talk about differences in EQ, its a little like talking about wine. But to me the EM-PEQ is a very muscular EQ and the Hammer is a more swanky. They are both great but as I mentioned in a previous post they excel at different things. Except for surgical EQ, I can't think of anything I could not handle with one or the other (or in series on a few things).
Old 21st August 2007
Lives for gear

Thanks for the info Peter, I'll be picking mine up soon!
Old 21st August 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcm View Post
...Hammer is a more swanky.
LOL!!! heh
Old 21st August 2007
Gear Maniac

Wow!

When I hear the "2 mics and a hammer and a EM-Peq" made a drum sound that blows away Peter Montessi and Dave Pearlman.

im a drummer, and multi instrumental solo artist who is always seeking to concentrate on capturing a performance by using as few channels as possible..to get the best sound.. im reallllllly excited by this.

Well, Im just going to make my two main channels all A-designs..

Im thinking.. Pacifica to Hammer to EM-Peq to Aurora should do me right!! Wow, thats a lot of money.

I can imagine its worth it!! And I am in the market...I thought at first i was only going to have to get a pacifica and a reddi... lol

I am wondering.. if you can buy only the Em-Peq or the Hammer.. which would would be better to track a stereo pair, and then mix through?

Thanks
Old 21st August 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by iflyinmymind View Post
When I hear the "2 mics and a hammer and a EM-Peq" made a drum sound that blows away Peter Montessi and Dave Pearlman.
Ronan has a great room and the drum sounds he got when I was recently assisting him were amazing.

Like I said earlier though, as soon as he ran the drum mix out through the Hammer and started tweaking, the drum sound went to another level entirely.
Old 21st August 2007
Gear Maniac

Hey, that what i was wondering.. i have a great sounding large drum room right now.. and its so huge sounding. I need to finish the acoustic treament, but of course, need my signal chain decided and purchased!

Drum Sounds on another level is EXACTLY what interests me! lolthumbsup
Old 21st August 2007
Lives for gear

For what it's worth, the version I used was irreplaceable. I used it on a mix, had to do a recall to add some recut vocals, and I couldn't match the BG eq I got with the Hammer with anything I had. The frequency selection for me was weird in a sense that as I went through them, they all sounded good in a different way. I don't think I ever "cut" any frequencies with it other than the HPF. The Q's sounded broad and musical (whatever that means) to me.

It's a great sounding unit. The current look doesn't bug me.
Old 22nd August 2007
Lives for gear

More headache for gearslutzsheh
I don't remember such great reviews from the time Germanium pre was introduced.
REDDI and PEQ turned my sightto A-Design and both products are 100% there on the top of the top.

Now, seems that Hammer is just that missing EQ (I have 18 channels of high-end analogue EQs) that will complete the picture.

Well, I pre-ordered one (still resist Pacifica).
Price might be killer for many other EQs.

A-Design
Old 22nd August 2007
Lives for gear

Why resist the Pacifica? You may as well give in there too.

Brad
Old 23rd August 2007
Lives for gear

Congratulations, Peter. It sounds like you have come up with another outstanding desiign.

I can't wait to try one.

Are you working on any compressor designs?
Old 23rd August 2007
Gear Addict

Outstanding describes it very well indeed.

GM
Old 23rd August 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad McGowan View Post
Why resist the Pacifica? You may as well give in there too.

Brad
Yeah, if you like the sound that the PEQ's give when you simply run signal through them, then you will definitely enjoy the Pacifica (and vice versa).
Old 23rd August 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by robot gigante View Post
Yeah, if you like the sound that the PEQ's give when you simply run signal through them, then you will definitely enjoy the Pacifica (and vice versa).
This becomes already irresistible
Old 23rd August 2007
Lives for gear

Woohoo! I have an early unit coming my way to check out. I'll be sure to report back here with my impressions and maybe a sound clip or two. Any requests?

Brad
Old 24th August 2007
Gear Nut

can't wait to hear what you think!

-j
Old 24th August 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by RABE View Post
can't wait to hear what you think!

-j
Ditto

AA.
Old 27th August 2007
Lives for gear

Me too!

Peter
Old 28th August 2007
Lives for gear

Well it's sitting at my house in the box waiting for me to check it out. I just need to escape work long enough to spend a few hours with it. Damn overtime...

Brad
Old 28th August 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad McGowan View Post
Well it's sitting at my house in the box waiting for me to check it out. I just need to escape work long enough to spend a few hours with it. Damn overtime...

Brad
Life's a Beech when you have to work for a living hey?

heh

Peter

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search