The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Black Rooster Audio RO-140 Vintage Plate Reverb (inspired by EMT 140 and other old plate reverbs)
Old 20th February 2021 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoundBadge ➡️
Hey I want to compare this to my real 140.
I see a purchase link but how do I demo it?
ha never mind I see a trial license thing in my account page
I heard once your real plate. Sounds nice, but doesn’t sound like a real plate. However, plugins do sound like a real plate.

:-)

Last edited by Arseny; 20th February 2021 at 12:56 AM..
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arseny ➡️
I heard once your real plate. Sounds nice, but doesn’t sound like a real plate. However, plugins do sound like a real plate.

Huh?
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoundBadge ➡️
Huh?
Just kidding :-) Coz everybody’s praising the plugs.

No doubt, the real thing must sound amazing. Just saw an offer on reverb. Unfortunately no space in my basement for such a monolith.
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
Quote:

No doubt, the real thing must sound amazing. Just saw an offer on reverb. Unfortunately no space in my basement for such a monolith.
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
Quote:

funny though I use the various plugs alongside the real thing a lot.Valhalla etc
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
the real 140 in this vid sounds amazing to me, very open.

But I‘m asking myself, if they could come even closer with the plugs and lexi300 by tweeking more . Like the real 140 had a slightly longer decay, less low end...

Always interesting to hear from the owners of the real thing, which plugs come closest.
Lives for gear

Unhappy

Quote:
the real 140 in this vid sounds amazing to me, very open.

But I‘m asking myself, if they could come even closer with the plugs and lexi300 by tweeking more . Like the real 140 had a slightly longer decay, less low end...

Always interesting to hear from the owners of the real thing, which plugs come closest.
Interesting to have all those background information for the record. On the other hand to appreciate a plugin (or real thing) more I am avoiding comparing in the sense of shootout for "better". Those comparisons minimize the awereness of quality of each single plugin a good amount. I regard those things isolated and in actual mix situations.

It simply doesn't matter how close the RO-140 plugin sounds to something, when you actually use it. Especially considering that every real version will sound different anyway.

I recently used the new 1178 from pulsar in a mix and I also tried out some other models of 1176 based plugins. I learned a lot about every single one and love them all together now much more than before. Every single one is just incomparable, as each has its own quality in different situations and all the millions of different settings result in more incomparable action behavoir and tonal results anyway. Changing one small parameter and everything changes. Who wants to compare all that options? And why? The only important thing here for me is learning where each one shines.

I used the RO-140 now in a rock mix on a snare - killer.
Recently on stacato played synth lead rythm with very short ER delay, than the RO-140 (very short and rythmically pre-delayed) and fed that into a vintage tape delay afterwards. Killer. Couldn't care less if the plugin is authentic to the hardware Not saying I'm not interested in historical facts about hardware. Having a lot of stuff myself.

Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by nichttuntun ➡️
Interesting to have all those background information for the record. On the other hand to appreciate a plugin (or real thing) more I am avoiding comparing in the sense of shootout for "better". Those comparisons minimize the awereness of quality of each single plugin a good amount. I regard those things isolated and in actual mix situations.

It simply doesn't matter how close the RO-140 plugin sounds to something, when you actually use it. Especially considering that every real version will sound different anyway.

I recently used the new 1178 from pulsar in a mix and I also tried out some other models of 1176 based plugins. I learned a lot about every single one and love them all together now much more than before. Every single one is just incomparable, as each has its own quality in different situations and all the millions of different settings result in more incomparable action behavoir and tonal results anyway. Changing one small parameter and everything changes. Who wants to compare all that options? And why? The only important thing here for me is learning where each one shines.

I used the RO-140 now in a rock mix on a snare - killer.
Recently on stacato played synth lead rythm with very short ER delay, than the RO-140 (very short and rythmically pre-delayed) and fed that into a vintage tape delay afterwards. Killer. Couldn't care less if the plugin is authentic to the hardware Not saying I'm not interested in historical facts about hardware. Having a lot of stuff myself.

I agree RO-140 sounds nice, definitely usable. Also a beautiful UI.

To my ears and my taste, in a spare mix (el. guitar +voice + reverb) I'd prefer a real 140.

Or at least a convincing, closest possible emulation (like Nebula), emphasizing the realism and sounding not EQed and not algo-constructed at the tails. Even a tiny aftertaste of the latter can sound too modern & not so real to me. A lush, less realistic color is not bad per se. There is whole Lexicon palette for this. But if I want to paint with a realistic color and it says "140" on the package, I am really after that realism. And if I don't find it, I'd have the impression that the product is not keeping the promises (marketing wyse). So, the product placement and the naming are very critical IMO.

However, in a dense mix, in a modern production, the plugs such as Arturia, RO-140, UAD can do amazing job for sure. They are very affordable and flexible, which is great too.
Old 20th February 2021
Lives for gear

... and no need for maintaining them

If I would have a real unit I probably would use it too but in certain situation a plugin can be more useful or easy to use.
Old 25th February 2021
Gear Addict

I demoed this for 30 seconds ... instant buy.

Could the damper control be scrollable instead of requiring 10 clicks to go from end to end? Also the mix control would be nice to lock at 100% for auditioning presets as a send effect.
Old 25th February 2021 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackRooster ➡️
Not yet, but there have been quite a few requests, so I feel positive about adding this in Mk II.
I'm looking forward to it!!
Old 2nd March 2021 | Show parent
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lao ➡️
This sounds good, won't replace Valhalla Plate as my go-to reverb but it definitely has its uses. It sounds quite different than the Arturia Rev-140 also.

So far, I have troubles finding settings to make it work on drums, the 'halo' is always too noticeable for me. It's really nice to drown a guitar, rounds the edges nicely.

I think it will join Valhalla Plate and Arturia Rev-140 in my reverb arsenal.
Hey buddy. I'm trying to decide exactly between this three plugins, the one to be my main plate reverb here. I won't be able to try any of them 'til the next weekend. Never played with the payed stuff from Valhalla (despite always hearing good things about them), but have some of the Arturia's FX (comps and preamps) and almost all Black Rooster stuff.

Any thoughts after some time using them?
Old 2nd March 2021 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:

If any developer could make a plugin that sounded as real as the plate sounds demonstrated in this video, I would definitely buy it:
https://youtu.be/pHkZRFNRnVY
Old 3rd March 2021 | Show parent
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squeegee 303 ➡️
If any developer could make a plugin that sounded as real as the plate sounds demonstrated in this video, I would definitely buy it:
https://youtu.be/pHkZRFNRnVY
OPAAAA!!!
Old 3rd March 2021
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Opa!!!
Old 4th March 2021
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
In all seriousness, Black Rooster Audio is one of the best plugin developers.
Old 4th March 2021
Gear Maniac

we need Dratwa back at full capacity. he's the legend of BR. their output dropped noticeably since he left. they were in a full flow with him. compare the output with and without and tell me it isn't so.
Old 4th March 2021 | Show parent
Lives for gear

Yeah, give it a rest finally. And no one needs releases every week. I'm glad with a great release every view months and I'm referring to all releases from all good devs altogether. With all that what's already out. A great release every 6 months but therefore rock solid even would be enough.
Old 4th March 2021
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I currently working on a short story based on this Gearslutz thread. It will be fictionalized and I will change the names of those involved in order to protect the innocent. The working title is:

Le Coq Noir and the RO-140 Vintage Plate Reverb: The Saga of Surreptitious Satellite's Quixotic Quest
Old 7th March 2021 | Show parent
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
Black Rooster - Unsubsribe fails

Please Black Rooster - I love your plugins :-)
But I am unable to unsubsribe from your mailing list.
Attached Thumbnails
Black Rooster Audio RO-140 Vintage Plate Reverb (inspired by EMT 140 and other old plate reverbs)-84816742-ef9d-4414-9d1f-70b5cd8dce18.jpg  
Old 4 weeks ago | Show parent
Lives for gear

If you picked up the stay at home bundle last year, and are only missing the reverb, you can buy the RO-140 for $20.70.

I think it's time to move on that!
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by vitocorleone123 ➡️
If you picked up the stay at home bundle last year
I still wonder how I could be ret4rded enough to not do that.
1TP
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synth Buddha ➡️
I still wonder how I could be ret4rded enough to not do that.
Black Rooster Audio releases the STAYHOME II Bundle

Have you seen this?
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1TP ➡️
Oh wow, no, I haven't. Thanks!

I might still not jump on it though, seeing as in the meantime I bought a bunch of their plugins anyway.
1TP
Gear Nut

Quote:

I might still not jump on it though, seeing as in the meantime I bought a bunch of their plugins anyway.
I get that! Just wanted to link the thread as I just happened to read it! And if you have most of what you need, maybe prices for individual plugins that you don't have is lower?
Lives for gear

Quote:

Login and see your prices / use the code completemybundle.

EDIT: The effect is strong on this one. I second the ask for the wet/dry mix to be scaled somehow - I'm making micro-movements around the 0-10% range. Guess the easiest is full wet and use it as a send where I can get more control over that aspect.
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Head

Any demos on vocals? Don't know if I'll have time to demo thoroughly before the current sale ends....
Old 3 weeks ago | Show parent
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by askomiko ➡️
I demoed this for 30 seconds ... instant buy.

Could the damper control be scrollable instead of requiring 10 clicks to go from end to end? Also the mix control would be nice to lock at 100% for auditioning presets as a send effect.
Where are the presets? I don't see any presets, or any way to save or load presets, except through my DAW's own presets (which won't carry across to the other DAWs I use). Preset file location is empty (tested in Bitwig 3.3).

I'd like this much better if the physical modelling were more customizable, like UVI Plate or Perfect Plate XL---especially the ability to control resonances, since the static EQ nodes aren't really sufficient. The resonances in the guitar demo sound overly harsh to me.

Despite lacking those features, it doesn't take up all that much less disk space than UVI Plate (over 150 mb vs 200 mb); not terrible, but not negligible.

I do like blending it with (or even through) other reverbs.
Old 3 weeks ago | Show parent
Gear Head

I'm demoing this, I like Black Rooster stuff and I'm liking the overall character on the RO-140 tails, together with the different timbre characteristics imparted by the different metals, but I'm a quite confused by the pretty much complete lack of high frequency damping... initially just picked up by ear, but later confirmed by actually testing this with noise-bursts or snare samples through a spectrum analyzer.

The spectral content in a RO-140 reverb tail seen through an analyzer decays as a "solid block" instead of having the highs progressively rolled-off, but it's also quite clear to the ear, which is likely the main reason why it sounded SO different from other physical plate emulations. Physical plates in general (with the EMT-140 being a primary example) have much shorter decay time on higher frequency content compared to the lower range.

Not trying to be a smartass, all my love to Black Rooster Audio, but I'm just confused by the design choice
Old 2 weeks ago
Here for the gear
I am pretty new to reverb types. My assumption is, that this / plate reverb plugins in total are not the best solution for getting a realistic reverbs of small recording rooms i.e. to fatten up vocals or guitars a bit... am I right, or would the RO 140 be a great match for my purpose?
📝 Reply