dSONIQ updates Realphones to v1.5 - headphone correction and virtual control room plugin - Page 23 - Gearslutz
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
dSONIQ updates Realphones to v1.5 - headphone correction and virtual control room plugin
Old 28th November 2020 | Show parent
Lives for gear

I've done a few actual mixes on Realphones now, and I've updated my Senny 6xx settings. If anyone's interested, it looks like this:
Attached Thumbnails
dSONIQ updates Realphones to v1.5 - headphone correction and virtual control room plugin-screen-shot-2020-11-27-11.37.35-pm.jpg  
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by bgrotto View Post
I've done a few actual mixes on Realphones now, and I've updated my Senny 6xx settings. If anyone's interested, it looks like this:
Hehe, almost looks like my setting, but i had to crank the Pressure, cause my pads are very old and gone soft
Old 28th November 2020
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Incredible how much better i can mix the low and low-mid area with Realphones. Not to mention reverbs and panned things.

Only thing i still miss is i mix the drums a little less punchy, and vocals a little lower on phones. EVERY SINGLE TIME.
But its now a very small difference.
Old 28th November 2020
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
After lots of tweaking and ABing, if anyone can find a better setting for pleasure listening with VSX cans, I'd love to hear it!

Gear Head

Quote:
I am going to test with my hd600s. Is there much difference between 650 and 600?
Gear Head

Quote:
aI just tested your settings. Mind-blowing definition of bass. Do you always use the subwoofer option or do you change? ... The only thing I miss is a little more treble, but I'm a little deaf and maybe that's it. Thanks for the help. It would be great if the developers had a base of presets. By the way, there are some songs that sound really bad with this preset. In particular, there is one from Radiohead that sounds especially bad.
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by candyflip View Post
After lots of tweaking and ABing, if anyone can find a better setting for pleasure listening with VSX cans, I'd love to hear it!
Obligatory first post but lurking for years opener from me.

Just wanted to say thank you for sharing this, I've been messing with Realphones settings for VSX and saw your post. Looking at it I didn't get it, no presence, 90 degree speaker width, HiFi setting...it was so far away from what I was trying myself.

Anyway it's brilliant, the best experience I've had so far on headphones for pleasure listening. Used K701 and HaaFee HD1 (look like VSX but really not) previously with Realphones and was about to get the DT1990 after reading this thread for pleasure listening but I'm good now.

Thanks for saving me the cash and putting this setting out there.

+1 @ dSONIQ for a user area to share settings.
Company Rep

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobOscuro View Post
I am going to test with my hd600s. Is there much difference between 650 and 600?
The difference between HD600 and HD650 after correction is small.
Company Rep

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pushang View Post

Just wanted to say thank you for sharing this, I've been messing with Realphones settings for VSX and saw your post. Looking at it I didn't get it, no presence, 90 degree speaker width, HiFi setting...it was so far away from what I was trying myself.

Anyway it's brilliant, the best experience I've had so far on headphones for pleasure listening. Used K701 and HaaFee HD1 (look like VSX but really not) previously with Realphones and was about to get the DT1990 after reading this thread for pleasure listening but I'm good now.

Is always great thing when you can fulfill your tasks without getting more expensive gear.

However, if you get 1990, you'll get much more detail in sound than K701. And this is always better for pleasure.

But my personal preference for pleasure listening with Realphones in this prices range are Audeze LCD-1. Much more relaxed sound with huge amount low level details, lightweight and not press hard around ears.

Also Hd660s are great for pleasure, less detail, but some soft enveloping impression.
Old 29th November 2020 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pushang View Post

Glad it's working out for you too! Yes, the speaker width was what took me longest to decide on. I kept flipping between 60, 75 and 90, before settling on 90 as I like to be a little more immersed. I switch back to 60 degrees when listening to those early stereo mixes from the '60s where bass, drums and vocals are often hard panned etc.

Some favorite references are:

The Clash - Revolution Rock
Boards Of Canada - Peacock Tail
Nine Inch Nails - Where Is Everybody
Beatles - Anna (Go To Him)

All sounding better than ever with Realphones. I really hope it gets ported to Android/iPhone, or do what Toneboosters did with Morphit and collab to have it integrated into a music player app like UAPP! Any plans, @ dSONIQ ?
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobOscuro View Post
aI just tested your settings. Mind-blowing definition of bass. Do you always use the subwoofer option or do you change? ... The only thing I miss is a little more treble, but I'm a little deaf and maybe that's it. Thanks for the help. It would be great if the developers had a base of presets. By the way, there are some songs that sound really bad with this preset. In particular, there is one from Radiohead that sounds especially bad.
I usually leave the subwoofer on, though last night I made a series of other presets to mimic different listening environments and included a no-sub β€œroom” option.

Which Radiohead mix sounds bad? I’d be keen to check it out in my control room...maybe it’s just a bad mix! (though I gotta be careful here cuz my mentor and close friend mixed their first two😳)
Lives for gear

@ dSONIQ - I'm finding the option to load and play back music in the System-Wide app to be extremely useful for doing mix reference checks...would it be possible to implement that same feature in the plugin version? It would be really fabulous to load a library of reference material in the plugin and have the option to play it back without having to switch audio feeds and juggle levels.
Old 29th November 2020
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
I could easily use another 5 preset slots...
Old 29th November 2020
Ull
Here for the gear
I have the beyer 880 pro and the sony 7506 for recording, the beyer seem too open and spatial, poorly defined, of the 7506 I like their sense of power but they lack space, I want to upgrade and my question would be, what would a headset be? Intermediate between the 880's blurry aperture and the 7506's core power, would the Audeze LCD 1 be a good choice? Or the now famous 1990 would be the key, I bought Realphones yesterday after many tests and the improvement on the 7506 is surprising, only with the calibration, great job
Company Rep

🎧 10 years
Quote:
@ dSONIQ - I'm finding the option to load and play back music in the System-Wide app to be extremely useful for doing mix reference checks...would it be possible to implement that same feature in the plugin version? It would be really fabulous to load a library of reference material in the plugin and have the option to play it back without having to switch audio feeds and juggle levels.
There's Reference plugin on the market for this needs. Should we implement such functionality into a virtual studio plugin which has different purpose? What are you going to do when you switch from headphones to monitors?
Company Rep

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ull View Post
I have the beyer 880 pro and the sony 7506 for recording, the beyer seem too open and spatial, poorly defined, of the 7506 I like their sense of power but they lack space, I want to upgrade and my question would be, what would a headset be? Intermediate between the 880's blurry aperture and the 7506's core power, would the Audeze LCD 1 be a good choice? Or the now famous 1990 would be the key, I bought Realphones yesterday after many tests and the improvement on the 7506 is surprising, only with the calibration, great job
If you like power of 7506, you would prefer DT1990 more than LCD-1, because DT1990 have prominent beat power and focused lows, mids and higs.

LCD-1 sound more gentle, less intrusive, and the reveal tiny details in mix.

Last edited by dSONIQ; 29th November 2020 at 06:14 PM..
Ull
Here for the gear
A last question i work with acoustic music and indie rock, another advice ( the third option jeje) in this range of prices 500 euros in open headphones( and realphones calibration of course), Thanks for the answer and for your job!!
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by mamm7215 View Post
Me too!!!
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carioca View Post
Me too!!!
Me three!
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Sounds great on my 600s over here, thanks a lot!
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by dSONIQ View Post
There's Reference plugin on the market for this needs. Should we implement such functionality into a virtual studio plugin which has different purpose? What are you going to do when you switch from headphones to monitors?
Well, the thing is, you’ve already implemented it into the system wide app, and it’s proven to be mighty useful, despite the system wide app being a virtual studio app and not a media player. I’m merely suggesting parity between the two versions.

As for switching from headphones to monitors, I’d simply do the same thing I do in the systemwide app: click the bypass processing button.
Lives for gear

Quote:
One conceivable solution would be to link the five snapshot slots to the main presets selection. As it works right now, selecting from the preset menu replaces only the selected snapshot. Maybe the presets could each load five new snapshots?

Or, perhaps you can use this functionality as a workaround to suit your current workflow? Make snapshots B through E your go-to β€œrooms”, and leave snapshot A as a sort of wildcard that you change by selecting from the presets menu.
Company Rep

🎧 10 years
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carioca View Post
Me too!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mutetourettes View Post
Me three!

We plan to add 3-5-7-9 snapshots switch to Realphones 1.6, also Snapshots renaming. Snaphosts will be moved to the left panel and presets to the top panel.

Last edited by dSONIQ; 29th November 2020 at 09:27 PM..
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
System wide trouble

I'm trying to get system-wide to work.
But whether I play say a YouTube file on firefox or microsoft edge, the sound doesn't go through Realphones - I wonder what I'm doing wrong!?

::
Mads
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by mljung View Post
I'm trying to get system-wide to work.
But whether I play say a YouTube file on firefox or microsoft edge, the sound doesn't go through Realphones - I wonder what I'm doing wrong!?

Mads
Hi Mads - Not sure what's happening. On my Windows system I have to select:
'Line (Realphones System-Wide)' from the available audio outputs.

Good luck!
Gear Head

Quote:
I'm a huge Radiohead fan. the song is where I end and you begin from the album hail to the thief.I can't listen to the original version of the CD I have because I don't have a CD player on my computer. your mentor friend has made some wonderful mixes.
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by blamejake View Post
Hi Mads - Not sure what's happening. On my Windows system I have to select:
'Line (Realphones System-Wide)' from the available audio outputs.

Good luck!
Thanks - I have tried this (and as many other settings I could find) but I still haven't found the magic bullet πŸ™„

Mads
Old 30th November 2020 | Show parent
Company Rep

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by mljung View Post
Thanks - I have tried this (and as many other settings I could find) but I still haven't found the magic bullet ν ½νΉ„

Mads
Please email to [email protected], we will help to find proper settings.
Lives for gear

I do not know if it has already been proposed, but it would be great to have the user presets in the cloud, so there would be no problem in having them at hand on the different machines, I personally use it in 2.
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
Quote:
This sounds great on my HD600, beats the one I spent some time on

Thanks for sharing.
πŸ“ Reply