dSONIQ updates Realphones to v1.5 - headphone correction and virtual control room plugin - Page 16 - Gearslutz
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
dSONIQ updates Realphones to v1.5 - headphone correction and virtual control room plugin
Old 5th November 2020
Lives for gear

How's realphones with Beyer DT 770 pro 250 ohm?
Old 5th November 2020
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Tried the demo, love it and bought my license. Working ridiculously good with my K702 at home, will try Realphones on K812 and HD800 at work when the pandemic is over.

And here are two questions:

1. Do you guys have plans to support some discontinued ancient headphone models say K240DF etc. ?
2. Sometimes 1031 sounds even "bigger" than main ATC emulation, please add some gain-match directly in presets maybe?
Old 5th November 2020 | Show parent
Company Rep

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by macubex View Post
Tried the demo, love it and bought my license. Working ridiculously good with my K702 at home, will try Realphones on K812 and HD800 at work when the pandemic is over.

And here are two questions:

1. Do you guys have plans to support some discontinued ancient headphone models say K240DF etc. ?
2. Sometimes 1031 sounds even "bigger" than main ATC emulation, please add some gain-match directly in presets maybe?
It is better chance to make K812 profile in few months, because it is possible to byu them new and then to sale inividuallly calibrated.

It is much harder with discontinued models. If model is popular, we get frew pieces for calibration from customers. K240dF were were my first professional headphones and I loved them.

Individual calibration service works in Russia. You can insure and send the headphones to us for calibration, they're not too expensive.

We matched the levels ot the rooms fot Ambience 100%, but it may be a minor difference between them. We may re-check this in future probably.

Last edited by dSONIQ; 5th November 2020 at 02:55 PM..
Old 5th November 2020 | Show parent
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by dSONIQ View Post
We got the letter with same problems two days before, no other dates. We will expand our team soon to reply faster. Sorry no reliable way to solve this problem. This looks more lia audio card driver issue.

Please try different output driver types and samplerates, try increasing your audio interface buffer size and enabling CPU economy mode in Realphones.

I hope it can get resolved.. this software is amazing I bought it even though system wide issue --- and am just running the plugin version through windows output

i love the sound quality.. am using it with ATH-M50x and Sony MDR7509s.. the sound feels 'natural'.. i 've compared this to NX , which i was impressed with on first try, but now feel like what realphones is capable of is one step up. The tweakability is just phenomenal .. and the smart presets for specialized functions , like mid focus or sub focus, was a stroke of genius for usability of presets..

btw just asking, did you guys have an expected policy on upgrades on major versions? like once 2.0 comes out for instance..
Old 6th November 2020
Company Rep

🎧 10 years
@ Faceless98 , Neumann NDH20 is added.

Cool cans, the same league with 1990/1770 but with different sound signature.
Old 6th November 2020 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Quote:
@ Faceless98 , Neumann NDH20 is added.

Cool cans, the same league with 1990/1770 but with different sound signature.
Hello,
May I ask for a NDH20 - 1770 comparison?
Both seem pretty nice and very likely priced.
Thanks for all your time and effort!
Cheers
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by rtech View Post
Can you test them out? I had both DT1990 and Slate VSX, but decided to stay with DT1990 and sent Slate VSX back. In my experience DT1990 has far more detail in the sound and they are much higher quality as a headphone model. .
Cool thanks! I'm gonna have a chance to test the VSX next week. Let's see how it goes. For now I'm keeping the HD650 with realphones which is working great! Might get the dt1990 in the future after so many great reviews.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thermos View Post
VSX no question. There has never been a headphone like it due to the bass port thing.
Nice! Looking forward to it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by konokoknk View Post
VSX is closed back, not as detailed as k701, but tailored specifically to their emulations, so they seem to sound more "spot on accurate", but the headphone itself is closed back like the sony. I much prefer open backs.I'm trying to decide myself whether to keep VSX tbh, I feel like DT1990 would be alot more fun to own for spending 500$ lol
Yes, I like open back as well. But I'll give VSX a try. thanks!
Old 6th November 2020
Lives for gear

wow! I did not know the Neumann NDH20, I have been reading reviews and opinions and they seem great, I am going to meditate ..
Old 6th November 2020
Here for the gear

I'm missing a good FAQ about using System-Wide application while also using RealPhones in your DAW. Sometimes you want to move back and forth between DAW and other application in you computer. To my quick testing I needed to shut down System-Wide application when I wanted to work within my DAW (Ableton Live).
Anybody have a good workflow to handle this?
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmelhede View Post
To my quick testing I needed to shut down System-Wide application when I wanted to work within my DAW (Ableton Live).
Anybody have a good workflow to handle this?

Por qué? Son independientes.

En Ableton, debes elegir tu interface de sonido y usar Realphones como última instancia en el master, esto no tiene relación alguna con el system-syde.
Old 6th November 2020
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
While no doubt the Neumann's are excellent for audio, it is worth checking if you would be comfortable wearing them for a long period. Some users find them uncomfortable, because the earpads are circular, whereas most are oval and fit over the entire ear. They are designed for sound isolation so exert more pressure than many others on the ear. A lot depends on your own ear shape and length of time you might use them for.

https://www.soundonsound.com/reviews/neumann-ndh-20
Here for the gear

System-Wide app

Quote:
Originally Posted by denork View Post
Por qué? Son independientes.

En Ableton, debes elegir tu interface de sonido y usar Realphones como última instancia en el master, esto no tiene relación alguna con el system-syde.
Just checked this again and maybe I was tired yesterday evening, they work independently and I can have both active if I need
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by itsyourself View Post
While no doubt the Neumann's are excellent for audio, it is worth checking if you would be comfortable wearing them for a long period. Some users find them uncomfortable, because the earpads are circular, whereas most are oval and fit over the entire ear. They are designed for sound isolation so exert more pressure than many others on the ear. A lot depends on your own ear shape and length of time you might use them for.

It is something very subjective, it depends on the size and shape of your head and ears. I have read totally contrary opinions, users who have spent 4 hours mixing without problem.
Old 6th November 2020
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Well, yes, that is my point, it depends on your physical characteristics and it isn't a problem for everybody. But the point is that the Neumann is more likely than others (Sony, Sennheiser) to exhibit this because of its design choices such as pressure on the head, for isolation, and the circular fit of the pads. Just something worth noting, that you might want to try out first. You may prefer the sound and not to worry about the fit.
Old 6th November 2020
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Damn, demoed it, bought it after an hour of testing.
I have Sonarworks, but obvilously it lacks the room emulation. I have a HD600 and an M40x, and i managed to make them sound very close, and both to my nearfield setup.
I toggled the plugin on/off and pulling the headphones off quickly. Must have looked like an idiot :D

But it's incredible they sound so real, and the room and 3d model doesn't color the sound so you can still make good mixing choices.

For example i demoed the waves Abbey road Studio, and it sounded like a cool gimmick compared to this. That colours the sound so much, it's totally useless for actually mixing with it.
Old 6th November 2020
Here for the gear

@ dSONIQ im not a user of this software but if you want Ollo S4X profile to run with this software? I dont mind sending my pair over , feel free to hit me up
Old 7th November 2020 | Show parent
Company Rep

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winter View Post
Hello,
May I ask for a NDH20 - 1770 comparison?
Both seem pretty nice and very likely priced.
Thanks for all your time and effort!
Cheers
After NDH20 sound cleaner, colder, airy and more gentle. DT 1770 sound wamer, more agressive and have more punch.

Dt 1770 have a bit more space inside pads, more weight and press harder.

On my taste long term wearing comfort of NDH20 is significantly better than DT 1770.

Both models are excellent revealing tools. NDH 20 have more more analytical, detached character and DT 1770 are more musical and rocking.

In the next post I will share frequency responses of selected headphone models which were discussed there.

Last edited by dSONIQ; 7th November 2020 at 01:13 AM..
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Quote:
In the next post I will share frequency responses of selected headphone models which were discussed there.
This is great! Thanks!
Old 7th November 2020
Company Rep

🎧 10 years
dSONIQ Headphone Frequency Response Database

https://www.dsoniq.com/headphone_fre...ponse_database
Here we've shared some of our measurements, which were made acording to our proprietary technique.

Keep in mind that sound of headphones before and after correction does not depend only of its frequency response.

AKG K271 MKII frequency response:

AKG K702 frequency response:

Audeze LCD-1 frequency response:

Audio-Technica ATH-M50x frequency response:

Beyerdynamic DT 770 Pro 80 Ohm frequency response:

Beyerdynamic DT 770 Pro 250 Ohm frequency response:

Beyerdynamic DT 880 Pro 250 Ohm frequency response:

Beyerdynamic DT 990 Pro 250 Ohm frequency response:

Beyerdynamic DT 1770 Pro 250 Ohm (Velour Pads) frequency response:

Beyerdynamic DT 1990 Pro 250 Ohm (Analytical Pads) frequency response:

Neumann NDH 20 frequency response:

Sennheiser HD 600 frequency response:

Sennheiser HD 650 frequency response:

Sennheiser HD 800 S frequency response:

Sony MDR-7506 frequency response:
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Here we've shared some of our measurements, which were made acording to our proprietary technique.
Thanks for sharing and also for taking the time to express your opinion.
Best
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I have used the ndh20 for a year. It is very comfortable and using it extensively more than speakers for mixing purpose.

Quote:
Originally Posted by itsyourself View Post

Old 7th November 2020
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
Will be more snapshots in a future update?
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Headphone respone varies from piece to piece. Adding extra controls for customization of correction to expectaions is not possible until release of 2.0 which won't be soon.

This needs total reorganization of Realphones GUI and addong extra 'maniac' mode) We plan to try to add frequency selection for depth of correction. User will be able to adjust amount of correction idependently probably at 5 bands. Also some customization may be possible for Tone control.
Please also consider the option available in Sonarworks to choose between minimum phase, linear phase or mixed phase correction.
Old 7th November 2020
Lives for gear

The CPU usage inside the DAW should improve a lot, I consume 15% of CPU in an i7-8700k at 44khz and 1024 buffer, it is too much! Same at Reaper and Ableton.

Edito: This consumption varies, right now in the same project and without having closed, it is consuming me around 5%. It's weird, I'll keep testing.
Gear Addict

Quote:

Keep in mind that sound of headphones before and after correction does not depend only of its frequency response.

AKG K271 MKII frequency response:

AKG K702 frequency response:

Audeze LCD-1 frequency response:

Beyerdynamic DT 770 Pro 80 Ohm frequency response:

Beyerdynamic DT 770 Pro 250 Ohm frequency response:

Beyerdynamic DT 880 Pro 250 Ohm frequency response:

Beyerdynamic DT 990 Pro 250 Ohm frequency response:

Beyerdynamic DT 1770 Pro 250 Ohm (Velour Pads) frequency response:

Beyerdynamic DT 1990 Pro 250 Ohm (Analytical Pads) frequency response:

Neumann NDH 20 frequency response:

Sennheiser HD 600 frequency response:

Sennheiser HD 650 frequency response:

Sennheiser HD 800 S frequency response:

Sony MDR-7506 frequency response:
Learn so much by reading this thread.

Really hope you include other Russian studios as there is obviously so many talented people there.
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by denork View Post
The CPU usage inside the DAW should improve a lot, I consume 15% of CPU in an i7-8700k at 44khz and 1024 buffer, it is too much! Same at Reaper and Ableton.

Edito: This consumption varies, right now in the same project and without having closed, it is consuming me around 5%. It's weird, I'll keep testing.
The reason I haven't bought it straight away is the CPU consumption of the plugin. It seems to be a fantastic tool!! But, if it uses up too much CPU, I can't even use it (for bigger mix projects) on my macbook pro, which is the computer I use on the go and exactly where this plugin would be used by me - not at the studio, but with headphones on the go.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Well, this would explain why I couldn't mix anything drums/percussion centered on M50 (if they are anything alike M50x).
Company Rep

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rentzen View Post
The reason I haven't bought it straight away is the CPU consumption of the plugin. It seems to be a fantastic tool!! But, if it uses up too much CPU, I can't even use it (for bigger mix projects) on my macbook pro, which is the computer I use on the go and exactly where this plugin would be used by me - not at the studio, but with headphones on the go.
CPU usage is the price for sophisticated algotithms and flexibility.

This may be a small consolation for you, but we get feedback that if users start to mix a project from scratch using Realphones, they use less processing and this compensates for the increased load of our plugin.

Realphones has CPU economy mode, whis shortens out room convolution.

For a long time, we wanted to add switching off filters with little signal impact. This may reduce CPU load bit brely audible difference. We hope to intensify work in this direction.
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Quote:
CPU usage is the price for sophisticated algotithms and flexibility.

This may be a small consolation for you, but we get feedback that if users start to mix a project from scratch using Realphones, they use less processing and this compensates for the increased load of our plugin.

Realphones has CPU economy mode, whis shortens out room convolution.

For a long time, we wanted to add switching off filters with little signal impact. This may reduce CPU load bit brely audible difference. We hope to intensify work in this direction.
Yes of course, I totally understand the price AND I am the one with computer that is not super duper up to date :-)

I didn't know about the economy mode and I will look into it.

Thanks for the reply
Company Rep

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by diggo View Post
Please also consider the option available in Sonarworks to choose between minimum phase, linear phase or mixed phase correction.
We don't see any practical reason to introduce linear phase mode, just more CPU consumption.

Minumum phase correction makes phase response of headphones more linear. If linear phase correction is applied, phase response cannot be corrected.

dSONIQ updates Realphones to v1.5 - headphone correction and virtual control room plugin-beyerdynamic-dt-1770-phase-response-raw-lr-mwasurement-before-red-after-miminum-phase-re.jpg

Here you see Beyerdynamic DT 1770 Left and Right channel RAW measurement before and after Realphones standard correction applied.
Attached Thumbnails
dSONIQ updates Realphones to v1.5 - headphone correction and virtual control room plugin-beyerdynamic-dt-1770-phase-response-raw-lr-mwasurement-before-red-after-miminum-phase-re.jpg  
📝 Reply