The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Cherry Audio Announces DCO-106 Poly Synth
Old 25th October 2020 | Show parent
Gear Addict
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6000 View Post
Not really, TAL is much closer to my Juno. DCO-106 is a cool synth, but to my ears not close to hardware.
You have a Juno-60 or 106? TAL U-No-LX is a Juno-60 emulation.
Show replies
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Niowiad View Post
The white+orange release date screams "ARP"
Yep, I caught that, too.
Show replies
Old 25th October 2020
Lives for gear

From their classic voices modules line:
SynthVoice is a complete semi-modular vintage synthesizer, featuring two oscillators, a multi-mode filter, an LFO, dual envelope generators, sample and hold, and spring reverb. It's like having a classic ARP 2600 synthesizer in your modular rack. SynthVoice Filter puts the brute power of SynthVoice's multi-mode filter into a separate module.

ARP 2600 polyphonic here we come
Show replies
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtROBOT View Post
From their classic voices modules line:
SynthVoice is a complete semi-modular vintage synthesizer, featuring two oscillators, a multi-mode filter, an LFO, dual envelope generators, sample and hold, and spring reverb. It's like having a classic ARP 2600 synthesizer in your modular rack. SynthVoice Filter puts the brute power of SynthVoice's multi-mode filter into a separate module.

ARP 2600 polyphonic here we come
It annoys me that they keep doing this, essentially charging us twice for the same modules and penalising us for jumping in too early
Show replies
Quote:
Originally Posted by VarikusBrainz View Post
It annoys me that they keep doing this, essentially charging us twice for the same modules and penalising us for jumping in too early
Why would you buy something that, in your opinion, you already have?
Show replies
Lives for gear

Their gear is so well priced that honestly I am not complaining. I will buy the ones I like twice. The ones that aren't really my thing I may skip.
I am all in on this next one.
Seriously hoping for some korg stuff at some point.

Another reason I support cherry doing this line is - it will be really great for their business. For all the people that don't wanna (or don't know how) to deal with the modular environment, this offers them some really top notch synths at a way better price than 99% of all other companies. It will allow cherry to grow and bring us even more cool toys.
I am all in. DCO is one of the most usable synths I have, no doubt.

I think cherry would also do well releasing things like - more full featured plugin version of the Juno chorus (with adjustable delay, depth, synch able speed etc)
But what do I know. Maybe I am just talking about the things I want.. haha
Show replies
Old 26th October 2020 | Show parent
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Carlyon View Post
Their gear is so well priced that honestly I am not complaining. I will buy the ones I like twice. The ones that aren't really my thing I may skip.
I am all in on this next one.
Seriously hoping for some korg stuff at some point.

Another reason I support cherry doing this line is - it will be really great for their business. For all the people that don't wanna (or don't know how) to deal with the modular environment, this offers them some really top notch synths at a way better price than 99% of all other companies. It will allow cherry to grow and bring us even more cool toys.
I am all in. DCO is one of the most usable synths I have, no doubt.

I think cherry would also do well releasing things like - more full featured plugin version of the Juno chorus (with adjustable delay, depth, synch able speed etc)
But what do I know. Maybe I am just talking about the things I want.. haha
And I would like to see HP filters on delay and reverb in a future update
Show replies
Old 26th October 2020
Gear Addict

I wasn’t able to use it without an internet connection yesterday. I got a sort of blank (or gray) screen. Is it normal ? Have I to update or reinstall it ?
Show replies
Old 26th October 2020
Gear Head
It sounds a little too flat and dark to be a Juno106

People would be better off just getting a 106 sample library for Kontakt instead
Show replies
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by VarikusBrainz View Post
are the modules polyphonic? I mean it looks like they're semi modular (I don't own em) why even buy these packaged synth versions?
Show replies
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevizzles View Post

People would be better off just getting a 106 sample library for Kontakt instead
A sample library doesn’t allow you to tweak PWM or control a filter that emulates the one on the 106 (just the generic Kontakt low pass filter).
Show replies
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtROBOT View Post
are the modules polyphonic? I mean it looks like they're semi modular (I don't own em) why even buy these packaged synth versions?
A given module in Voltage Modular is inherently either mono or poly. You can tell if it's a poly version, because they always will say "poly" in the module name, and the jacks look different (poly jacks look sort of like an old Apple ADB jack, if anyone remembers those). We make mono and poly versions of many of our modules, and in these cases, you always get both versions when you buy (i.e., you don't have to separately purchase both).

In Voltage Modular, we have the ability to design modules with normalled connections both from Voltage's IO Panel (where you route main CV and audio connections) as well as within the module itself, so in the case of the DCO-60 module, you're right, it's internally semi-normalled. That is, you can play it like a regular synth by just hooking its output to Voltage's IO Panel out, and everything else will be normalled, or you can override its connections with cables.

To answer your question, "Why even buy the packaged version"... in plain English, because modular synthesis isn't for everyone - many users do not want to mess with a screen full of cables. To be fair, it would take some extra modules and fair amount of patching to end up with a 1/1 equivalent of DCO-106 within Voltage, and even at that, there a few things the standalone can do that can't be done in Voltage. And you get over 300 unique presets with DCO-106.

Even if you are a seasoned modular synthesist, the standalone version of DCO-106 is nice, b/c like a real Juno synth, it's really fast and easy to use. At the risk of tooting our horn, our instruments are ridiculously affordable - you can get Voltage Nucleus Edition (free), the Vintage Voice module bundle (SynthVoice, SynthVoice Filter, DCO-60, VCF-60, and Chorus-60 modules for $39), and the DCO-106 virtual instrument ($25) for the princely sum of $64. That's a LOT of synth toys for $64.
Show replies
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitchell View Post

To answer your question, "Why even buy the packaged version"... in plain English, because modular synthesis isn't for everyone - many users do not want to mess with a screen full of cables. To be fair, it would take some extra modules and fair amount of patching to end up with a 1/1 equivalent of DCO-106 within Voltage, and even at that, there a few things the standalone can do that can't be done in Voltage. And you get over 300 unique presets with DCO-106.
lol I was directing that question at the guy complaining about rebuying the synths, but that's great info thanks!
Show replies
Old 27th October 2020 | Show parent
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevizzles View Post

Dark? most of the comments have noted that it is probsbly a bit brighter? That was certain;y my impression.
Either way, this synth, to my ears, sounds fantastic. When a synth sounds this good i stop caring if it is identical.
Show replies
Old 27th October 2020
Here for the gear

So much hype about AI at this time. AI is so over rated. So where are all the “analog” sounding soft synths? Best to me is Diva from u-he, the Legend from synapse, and arturia V collection. I have many other soft synths but really nothing sounds analog. I should have saved my money and bought some analog gear. I bought the DCO-106 Poly Synth but it sounds so cold and flat. Best deal is to buy the Arturia V collection when it goes on sale, which you just missed. Usually pads are not an issue for me. But the bass synth analog sound is best emulated by diva or the legend.
Show replies
Old 27th October 2020
Gear Nut

Didn't like The Legend at all. I had a Juno 106 and I like DCO-106. In fact, it sounds better (to me) than the Roland Cloud 106. Might be a taste thing.
Show replies
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frozenskymusic View Post
I bought the DCO-106 Poly Synth but it sounds so cold and flat.
Maybe because the price was too low? A lot of people really only think that something is really good when it's very expensive. It's a real marketing subject. Consumer behaviour psychology

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Premium_pricing

I think it's an awesome synth. Very inspiring.
Show replies
Gear Addict
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frozenskymusic View Post
So much hype about AI at this time. AI is so over rated. So where are all the “analog” sounding soft synths? Best to me is Diva from u-he, the Legend from synapse, and arturia V collection. I have many other soft synths but really nothing sounds analog. I should have saved my money and bought some analog gear. I bought the DCO-106 Poly Synth but it sounds so cold and flat. Best deal is to buy the Arturia V collection when it goes on sale, which you just missed. Usually pads are not an issue for me. But the bass synth analog sound is best emulated by diva or the legend.
Wut? So pay $25 for the Cherry 106 or.....$200 for Arturia V Collection which doesnt have a 106 or even a 60? This makes zero sense. Not to mention people are always ragging on Arturia's analog emulations.....

And incidentally V Collection sale was from Plugin Boutique and others, not Arturia. They'll have a Black Friday sale most likely.
Show replies
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stikkers View Post
Maybe because the price was too low? A lot of people really only think that something is really good when it's very expensive. It's a real marketing subject. Consumer behaviour psychology

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Premium_pricing

I think it's an awesome synth. Very inspiring.
I agree, it's in the top 1% of soft synths for me and I spent ridiculous amounts of money in that area
Show replies
Lives for gear

Really great Juno-106 emulation -- for $25, that's impressive!

Just been noodling around with it, but here are my initial thoughts:

Pros:
The sound. First and foremost, this really sounds spot-on!
The price -- even at the full $39 price I think it would be a worthy investment.
Reverb and Delay effects -- Nice additions, thanks so much!
Extended DCO range (32', 2')

Cons:
No MIDI patch change/bank select
No keyboard support on preset browsing -- mouse only
No iOS support

Okay, on that last one I get it -- totally different CPU architecture and development tools, but since Apple is going full bat-**** mode ditching the Intel architecture and using their ARM product (gotta make the most of that investment!), eventually you will too.

Cheers!
Show replies
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cpl. Punishment View Post
At least on my win machine I can use arrow keys but the preset browser has to be opened, and only after selecting a preset from the browser.

It would be cool if I could use the arrow keys to navigate myself also to the menus in the preset window!
Show replies
Old 4 weeks ago | Show parent
Gear Addict
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cpl. Punishment View Post
Really great Juno-106 emulation -- for $25, that's impressive!

Just been noodling around with it, but here are my initial thoughts:

Pros:
The sound. First and foremost, this really sounds spot-on!
The price -- even at the full $39 price I think it would be a worthy investment.
Reverb and Delay effects -- Nice additions, thanks so much!
Extended DCO range (32', 2')

Cons:
No MIDI patch change/bank select
No iOS support

Okay, on that last one I get it -- totally different CPU architecture and development tools, but since Apple is going full bat-**** mode ditching the Intel architecture and using their ARM product (gotta make the most of that investment!), eventually you will too.

Cheers!
You forgot the quotes around "full" I agree with you that even at that price its a good deal. But they've said the $25 price is permanent. Just marketing.
Show replies
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by rezoneight View Post
You forgot the quotes around "full" I agree with you that even at that price its a good deal. But they've said the $25 price is permanent. Just marketing.
;^)

One other "Pro":

That on-screen keyboard has to be the most useful built into a VSTi, maybe even better than the one with Cantabile.
Show replies
Old 4 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Really love this plugin. Obviously, it’s not a hardware unit so it’ll have some shortcomings but it’s an awesome sounding CHEAP synth plugin that definitely behaves like a Juno. Some patches benefit from running an instance of an “analog saturator” like Soundtoys Radiator right after. All in all, great $25 deal.

That being said this thing is EXTREMELY unstable on Pro Tools!! I am running the newest update on Pro Tools HD 12.5.2 on OSX 10.11 and it repeatedly breaks my sessions. If I have more than one instance of it, forget about it — crashes PT immediately and then I can’t open my sessions up again. Had to make a new session and import session data except for the DCO106 instrument track to get the session running again.

Also tried using a more recent update (I think it was ___.17?) with Windows 10 and Pro Tools 2020.9.1 — couldn’t even get Pro Tools to load the plugin. Would immediately crash PT as soon as I tried to create and instance of it. Reverted back to the original first version installer and it worked okay, still reaaaally loaded down my sessions though in the same way I described on Mac.

Basically what I’m doing is finding a setting, making a preset, committing it down to a stereo track and then will reactivate it if I need to change anything.
Show replies
Lives for gear

I have used this in so many sessions already. I actually like the slightly cleaner feel, makes it very versitile. As others have mentioned - using a saturator after can yield great results.
Can't wait for the next one.
Show replies
Lives for gear

Wonderful VST Instrument
Show replies
Old 4 weeks ago
Here for the gear
Tried this out and compared it with Roland Cloud's 106, the latter definitely wins for me sound-wise.

In RC "SY LR Hoover" with the attack knocked off is that quintessential 106 bass sound with chorus, which this just can't nail in terms of tone/chorus and is quite a bit weaker. I also think RC's filters are ahead of everything else I've heard including Diva.

Good cheap synth in it's own right though if you are not looking for an exact replica (and want to remain subscription free).
Show replies
Quote:
Originally Posted by raveystabs View Post
Tried this out and compared it with Roland Cloud's 106, the latter definitely wins for me sound-wise.

In RC "SY LR Hoover" with the attack knocked off is that quintessential 106 bass sound with chorus, which this just can't nail in terms of tone/chorus and is quite a bit weaker. I also think RC's filters are ahead of everything else I've heard including Diva.

Good cheap synth in it's own right though if you are not looking for an exact replica (and want to remain subscription free).
Is in your opinion the Roland Cloud version an exact replica?
Show replies
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by cherryaudio View Post
November 1st, 2020 - Cherry Audio's next big thing is on its way..

Show replies
Lives for gear
Quote:
That being said this thing is EXTREMELY unstable on Pro Tools!! I am running the newest update on Pro Tools HD 12.5.2 on OSX 10.11 and it repeatedly breaks my sessions. If I have more than one instance of it, forget about it — crashes PT immediately and then I can’t open my sessions up again. Had to make a new session and import session data except for the DCO106 instrument track to get the session running again.
Hi this same thing happened to me on Pro Tools 12.4.0

I used it in a session this weekend, but when I reopened the session Pro Tools hangs and "not responding" Needed to make a new session and import session data except the DOC. I hope there will be a fix cause this plugin sounds great
Show replies
📝 Reply