Steven Slate VSX Headphone: Mix in Pro Studios, Mastering Rooms, Cars, Clubs, Boomboxes, & More - Page 91 - Gearslutz
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Steven Slate VSX Headphone: Mix in Pro Studios, Mastering Rooms, Cars, Clubs, Boomboxes, & More
Old 5th November 2020 | Show parent
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Slate View Post
Lord Bafford, rereading your post.. Given what you’re saying about the excessive brightness, can you please hit up support so we can make sure your hardware is working correctly? The highs should be very clear and smooth so I’d rather be safe than sorry! A problem with the highs/hardware could also emphasize the binaural effect in an unnatural way.

Also make sure to firmly plug your cable into the phones, and also make sure that mono files are playing perfectly center.

Steven
Steven,

Thanks for the follow-up. I have submitted a support request as per your direction. Once again I appreciate your personal attention to these matters, as per our "fix" on the Lexicon 480 we did a couple of years ago with VSC.

When can we expect the update on the new rooms?
Old 5th November 2020
Here for the gear

For me the bigger issue is less one of feel/weight and more durability. Can they handle being knocked off a table onto a hard floor / someone sitting or stepping on them without damage? I can throw a $100 pair of Sony MDR 7506 at a wall without worry. Can someone do some tests of the VSX being dropped / crunched? At $500 I would expect them to be pretty hardy and built for studio life. Is that the case?
Old 5th November 2020
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
FWIW my Focal Spirit Pros look way more durable then the VSX, but I had 3 pairs replaced by my dealer, as the headband develops cracks over time, and the headphones no longer grip your head.

I finally had to resort to glue on my final replacement pair, as Focal never fixed the issue, nor did they publicly admit they had messed up on this particular product, and I got tired of chasing them down.

As long as the Slate are as durable as other decent studio phones (like ATH M50), I'll be a happy camper. Given their level of customer support on this product, and their intense development phase, I would be surprised to find anything else....
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I had a similar problem with 2 sets of Audeze LCD-8s, which they eventually discontinued. They were $800! Luckily, I only paid $400, but still.

Leather - steel - wood trim - and broken headbands on both after a short time. I finally said screw it. Audeze gave me another model for the same price and I sold them to cut my losses.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardtoe View Post
FWIW my Focal Spirit Pros look way more durable then the VSX, but I had 3 pairs replaced by my dealer, as the headband develops cracks over time, and the headphones no longer grip your head.

I finally had to resort to glue on my final replacement pair, as Focal never fixed the issue, nor did they publicly admit they had messed up on this particular product, and I got tired of chasing them down.

As long as the Slate are as durable as other decent studio phones (like ATH M50), I'll be a happy camper. Given their level of customer support on this product, and their intense development phase, I would be surprised to find anything else....
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardtoe View Post

Exactly the same with Focal Spirit pros here very bad experience with Focal. I declined on the third pair. Like the sound of them tho
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Ya, it was my first Focal product and Focals complete lack of response made it my last....

Now discontinued, so I guess they were all doomed to fail from the design/build stage, not that Focal ever admitted it.

Slate on the other hand, has our back!

In pro audio service is half the game
Old 6th November 2020 | Show parent
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigitalDrugLord View Post
NRG Mid-Fields match scarily similar to my Trinnov Focal space so because of that (and the NS-10 models) I've stuck with NRG as my first preference. When I take myself over to Archon, it always translates anyways but NRG for me resembles closest to what I know from my own monitoring.
I found that NRG mid fields sound eerily close to the Focals in my studio. I routed VSX through Cubase control room so my calibrated speakers and VSX have their own dedicated outputs and was switching between the two when I realized that is why I gelled with the NRG mid fields so much.

Same experience though, Archon has a different character, but stuff done on NRG mids always seems to translate very well to the Archon mids and fars.
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by croutonsandmango View Post
For me the bigger issue is less one of feel/weight and more durability. Can they handle being knocked off a table onto a hard floor / someone sitting or stepping on them without damage? I can throw a $100 pair of Sony MDR 7506 at a wall without worry. Can someone do some tests of the VSX being dropped / crunched? At $500 I would expect them to be pretty hardy and built for studio life. Is that the case?
Jury is out on that - only time will tell, fingers crossed as I'd like to be mixing with these for quite some time to come!
Old 6th November 2020
Here for the gear

If anyone hasn’t listened to Hendrix “If 6 was 9” on the Archon mid-fields, you’re missing out. Definitely my favorite reference track I’ve listened to with VSX so far.
Old 6th November 2020
Lives for gear

had another fun evening mixing with VSX. I had over baked a track with too much reverb and low end EQ so was picking it apart trying to make it more clear. Feel like I made some progress with the help of VSX. Its funny because even though I've possibly heard headphones that are more detailed, VSX is more revealing regardless. Impressive.

Trying to venture out of my Archon Nearfield comfort zone, and trying out all the other rooms. As its early days its def all a bit over whelming, you can def get a bit lost in flicking back and forth between them all. Def a learning experience ahead. I can already tell it will be worth it.

As a few people have said, listening to your kick through the car emulations is revealing.

I'm def in the 'can't hear what the depth control does' group. No biggy though.
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockolocko View Post
If anyone hasn’t listened to Hendrix “If 6 was 9” on the Archon mid-fields, you’re missing out. Definitely my favorite reference track I’ve listened to with VSX so far.
Or if they just haven't listened to it in general... Hendrix rules!!!
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Great! NRG is less dry so it's got some more coloration which is cool. I love Archon but it can be a bit clinical at times too, depending on the material. My mixroom will be somewhere in the middle.. perhaps a bit closer to Archon.

Having said that, I'm listening to Steely Dan Aja in the Archon Mids right now and it's freaking beautiful experience. The issue with listening to that album on such a perfect speaker is that when you follow it up with one of your own mixes, your stomach will drop and you'll go immediately into fix mode

I can't stress enough how important reference mixes are with VSX for new users. If you cycle through about 30 minutes of great refs on a given speaker and then throw your own stuff on immediately after, you WILL hear what needs work!

Steven
How does it (Aja) sound in the new Howie room?
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
When I first saw the VSX announcement thread I pretty much skipped past it thinking "nah, can't see those working very well"...

...a little while later I curiously began to read the thread...

I now have a set coming my way!

Just in time for the lockdown here in London.

Really hope my brain/ears likes these...will post my findings soon... and how Hendrix sounds.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockolocko View Post
Quote:
I think the giveaway with his set was that mono files did not sound centered which means that one of the drivers was having a problem.
Just received my set here in London from SX Pro and unfortunately they have this problem: the whole image is skewed to the right compared to my other phones so I'm guessing the left driver is faulty? Already submitted a ticket so I'm confident you guys will sort me out.
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by SupremeFist View Post
Just received my set here in London from SX Pro and unfortunately they have this problem: the whole image is skewed to the right compared to my other phones so I'm guessing the left driver is faulty? Already submitted a ticket so I'm confident you guys will sort me out.
ah crap - sorry to hear that, mine were also from SXPro and arrived this week too, prob same batch as yours!

Mine seem to be ok, did you only notice with mono files or with all listening?

I checked mine by switching my whole mix to mono - maybe I didn't test enough? What are you hearing out of interest so I can keep ear out for it?
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
Quote:
I had the exact same problem, it could be heard in stereo and especially in the midrange (snares, guitars were off center). I submitted a ticket and they sent me a new pair within a week (to europe). New pair sounds good so I’m a happy camper. Great product, very useful!
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by TVage View Post
I had the exact same problem, it could be heard in stereo and especially in the midrange (snares, guitars were off center). I submitted a ticket and they sent me a new pair within a week (to europe). New pair sounds good so I’m a happy camper. Great product, very useful!
how subtle is it, do they sound way over to one side, or just a bit?
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by MRSEED View Post
how subtle is it, do they sound way over to one side, or just a bit?
Fairly subtle, but I sensed something was wrong the first time i tried them. And it’s more noticeable with midrange heavy mixes than, let’s say Billy Eilish.
Lives for gear

Quote:
Fairly subtle, but I sensed something was wrong the first time i tried them. And it’s more noticeable with midrange heavy mixes than, let’s say Billy Eilish.
I've been pretty distracted getting used to the rooms etc - I'll specifically have a listen for that issue later today - thanks for the heads up, obviously chances are mine are fine, but good for me to check. My mixing isn;t great so I could easily miss something like this.
Quote:
ah crap - sorry to hear that, mine were also from SXPro and arrived this week too, prob same batch as yours!

Mine seem to be ok, did you only notice with mono files or with all listening?

I checked mine by switching my whole mix to mono - maybe I didn't test enough? What are you hearing out of interest so I can keep ear out for it?
I suspected some things were sounding a bit skewed with initial listening to full stereo mixes so then just switched a track to mono and it was off-centre with the VSX, but perfectly centred with k701 and HD6XX through the same chain.
Lives for gear

Quote:
I suspected some things were sounding a bit skewed with initial listening to full stereo mixes so then just switched a track to mono and it was off-centre with the VSX, but perfectly centred with k701 and HD6XX through the same chain.
hope you get your replacement soon - going to give mine a good mono test with kicks and snares n few hours.
Old 6th November 2020
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
I had the skewed image thing (to the right - mainly noticeable on vocals). Didn't hear it on DT880's, M50x's or my earbuds. Got shipped a replacement pair and had the same thing but more subtle. Did some in depth testing with mono slow swept sine waves on various phone and I think it's slight hearing damage in my left ear. I think my brain had just learnt to "fix it" over time! I could hear it on other phones but only through testing and very careful listening. Concentrating too hard would bring it so back to the middle again.

I wonder if there's something about the stereo imaging on the VSX headphones that is just more precise?

I've ended up doing a slight eq fix on the left in FF Q3 and placing after VSX.

If anyone's going to try it I automated a 20-20k sweep over about a minute in reaper and then got the zoom level set up so when I dropped in on the timeline it roughly matched the frequency on Q3 so I could easily focus on different frequency ranges.
Old 6th November 2020
Lives for gear

ahhhhhhhhh bollox - I can hear it now

listened to various dry stock mono drum sounds with all my FX turned off - plus used Logics Gain/mono plug to def make sure it was mono. I'm noticing it mostly with bassy kick drums - I'm noticing they sound louder on the left than the right, its like there is a extra bit of weight on left like a subtle distortion or echo deep down. I could hear it with and without VSX souftware running, but when I tired the SUV and club settings it was much much more obvious in the low end!

I then quickly plugged my regular headphones in and those sounds were dead centre... no issues.

Feck - what do I do, contact the dealer I bought them from or Slate Audio direct??
Lives for gear

Quote:
I submitted a ticket and they sent me a new pair within a week (to europe). New pair sounds good so I’m a happy camper. Great product, very useful!
Ok I just did this - not what I really want after a 3 week wait for them but good to get sorted as I really want to continue to use these like them!
Old 6th November 2020
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
I'm enjoying working on the Archon nearfields.

I'm not familiar with midfields or farfield setups in real world experience so the nearfields sound more like what I am familiar with when listening to my dynaudio bm6a mkII nearfields.
Slate Pro Audio / Slate Digital

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by V4nger View Post
I'm enjoying working on the Archon nearfields.

I'm not familiar with midfields or farfield setups in real world experience so the nearfields sound more like what I am familiar with when listening to my dynaudio bm6a mkII nearfields.
I love the archon nearfields as well. I’m surprised people don’t talk more about them but then again, the archon Midfields make it easy to overshadow other speakers!

SEED: make sure you do your motto test only with HD Linear to see if there is a left right discrepancy. Do not use the club or the car since those can naturally skew left or right (frequency dependent) due to the nature of the environments. If you have any problem we will handle it fast!

Steven
Lives for gear

Quote:

SEED: make sure you do your motto test only with HD Linear to see if there is a left right discrepancy. Do not use the club or the car since those can naturally skew left or right (frequency dependent) due to the nature of the environments. If you have any problem we will handle it fast!

Steven
I already found I could hear it with no rooms loaded up, just straight listening. I'd then compare to another set of headphones and they would sound straight up the centre. I've logged a ticket so fingers crossed someone will get back to me asap
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmanic View Post
.. this is where I can say, with utmost experience, that I suspect you are 100% mistaken. Well calibrated, in a dry room, is exactly why you would benefit tremendously from the VSX system and from some of the room profiles that aren't super dry.

Trust me on this one (I have the same setup as you, except I might have what you'd consider a "super dry" room). Took me about 3 weeks to get used to VSX with at least 1 to 2 hours per day of VSX usage.

Surely there must be a sort of "club" for us dry studio owners?

There are good reasons for why the most top tier mastering studios in the world aren't super dry. It's not always optimal and there really is such a thing as "details can get in the way of the overall picture", even in a mastering context.

Don't shelf the software until you have a solid 40+ hours of work with it.
Believe me, top-tier mastering studios are super dry. Northward FBT designs are super dry (but in a good way), but basically zero reflection rooms as far as direct sounds vs reflections are concerned.
Quote:
I already found I could hear it with no rooms loaded up, just straight listening. I'd then compare to another set of headphones and they would sound straight up the centre. I've logged a ticket so fingers crossed someone will get back to me asap
Yep, mine are also off-centre with HD Linear and also direct from various sources with no plugin. (And it's not subtle, like panned 10-15 R.)
Slate Pro Audio / Slate Digital

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Yep, mine are also off-centre with HD Linear and also direct from various sources with no plugin. (And it's not subtle, like panned 10-15 R.)
Hit up Support we will get you swapped out fast!

Steven
📝 Reply