Steven Slate VSX Headphone: Mix in Pro Studios, Mastering Rooms, Cars, Clubs, Boomboxes, & More - Page 51 - Gearslutz
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Steven Slate VSX Headphone: Mix in Pro Studios, Mastering Rooms, Cars, Clubs, Boomboxes, & More
Old 13th October 2020
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
So I see all this talk about headphone amps... What are people doing who have a monitor controller? I have a Drawmer MC2.1 that I really like. It sounds transparent and has all the functionality I need. Of course I suppose I could use the headphone output of my Antelope Orion Studio, tho it’s not nearly as convenient.
Old 13th October 2020 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by climber ➡️
So I see all this talk about headphone amps... What are people doing who have a monitor controller? I have a Drawmer MC2.1 that I really like. It sounds transparent and has all the functionality I need. Of course I suppose I could use the headphone output of my Antelope Orion Studio, tho it’s not nearly as convenient.
I have the mc3.1 - headphone amp sounds great and is very powerful (I use it with Focal Professionals when tracking - gives really great transient response info which is very useful at that stage - don’t really mix on phones, but may give these VSX a try as another reliable reference is always useful - when I audition, I will use them with the mc3.1 myself)

Just use it and don’t second guess yourself imo - Andrew Scheps mixes on an old Apollo interface with Sony 7506’s FWIW

Last edited by Hardtoe; 13th October 2020 at 04:10 PM..
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by b0se ➡️
Nice quote, and I agree with it in most circumstances, but it's not really applicable when we're talking about attaining the most neutral—true to source—monitoring system. You need to look at specs for that, otherwise our brains will tell us exactly what we want to hear and it becomes subjective/personal.

I realise it may look like geeking out on measurements without any thought to audio, but it's the same thing when you buy a bit of HW and use proper gain staging to get the best from it, and indeed the chain it sits in. Think a mixbus chain or even 1176 into a LA2A. You hit the sweet spots. That's the same thing as headphone to amp impedance matching.

I've not heard those models but I have heard many cans through many amps and know firsthand that an impedance mismatch is something to avoid if possible. If you're going to buy an amp for VSX, you may as well get one that is designed to be technically optimal with it.
Well, at the end of the day, I think what Little is saying is that there should be a balance between specs and actual listening and I tend to agree with that sentiment.

We've all tried gear that didn't work when the specs say otherwise. Based solely off the recommendations from people on GS, I've demoed some monitors that have way better specs than my Amphions, for example, but I found them unworkable in my space and couldn't finish anything on them. I've also used passive monitoring systems that didn't sound as good as my active Dangerous ST. The specs are important -- but if someone like David Ray (who commented in the last page) has both the Monotor and the VSX and says they sound great together than I think that's one valuable form of data that should be taken into account, subjective or not.

Also - The VSX is in a category of its own because the whole point is not going for "neutral" but instead is trying to emulate famous studios and monitors so people can mix through that lens. And just to reiterate I do think those amps you recommended could be great - I just personally haven't heard them and I'm going off my own experience with the Monotor having owned one.

Anyrate - I'll drop this now since it's veering off topic.

Last edited by Shaggy2039; 13th October 2020 at 04:22 PM..
Old 13th October 2020
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
An extra headphone amp is kinda overkill if you want it to be portable. I did some mixing in the yard with the ifi black label the other day and didn’t feel like I needed anything else. These are very efficient headphones.
Old 13th October 2020
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 5 years
FWIW I have zero desire (or need) to persuade anyone to use anything, makes no difference to me I just made some suggestions that will get others the best from VSX!
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:

The ones I've linked—Atom, SP200, 887 and 789—are all world class. Availability and single ended vs balanced is all you need to decide upon.

Going via the Trinnov (which uses balanced XLR), I'd opt for the Monoprice 887 if you're US based or the SP200 if you're EU based.

The Atom is for anyone not needing/using balanced XLR, i.e. 3.5mm jack or RCA from their interface/DAC.
I see. Being the VSX not balanced, I thought it didn't matter if the AMP inputs were balanced or not.

Thanks a lot for all the info, very helpful indeed

Quote:
Yes, the RME ADI-2 Pro FS. More expensive but a great all round unit (ADDA and amps).
I was also interested on this one as you recommended it some weeks ago, but it's a bit too much for what I really need atm. It has some amazing reviews tho.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JfromRVA ➡️
For all the guys following that may be wondering if they need an HP amp other than the one included on their interface to run VSX just know that you do not. I was able to get great results with my Presonus Studio 24c. Of course, the better the DAC the better the sound. But not a requirement to use VSX.
Yep I agree, it's not a requirement, but from my experience with my Phonon SMB-02 (40Ω), they sound good with my Motu, but they sound better when I tried a better interfaces/HP amp.

Just trying to figure out which would be the best combo for the VSX
Old 13th October 2020
Gear Head

My VSX should arrive tomorrow, I'll let you know if it works OK with the Apollo Twin MkII headphone out
Old 13th October 2020
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Got them.

How do I lock the headband as described in the day 1 video?
Old 13th October 2020
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
Here's a bit of an unintended benefit...

VSX just saved me $150 because I was able to hear such fine detail in various environments while auditioning a new plugin that I thought I wanted to buy. Turns out that my current main plugin is preferable to me when compared to the new plugin.

This thing may end up paying for itself by saving me money spent on plugins that I really don't need. I suffer from FOMO and I am very easily influenced by all the latest and greatest talk on the forums. Weird that I am well aware of this but it still happens all the time... but that's the way it is. The mind is crazy.

Anyway, these phones just changed the game for me. Along with my interface and my computer itself, this is the best investment I have made when it comes to mix engineering gear.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by thermos ➡️
An extra headphone amp is kinda overkill if you want it to be portable. I did some mixing in the yard with the ifi black label the other day and didn’t feel like I needed anything else. These are very efficient headphones.
Are you mainly using the VSX for remote mixing or also using in your studio? Also, are use using your other hi end phones less getting em'?
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaggy2039 ➡️
Are you mainly using the VSX for remote mixing or also using in your studio? Also, are use using your other hi end phones less getting em'?
If the world ever opens again, they will be used while I tour (usually 1/3-1/2 the year). Right now I’m using them in my studio but also remote ie in the backyard.
Old 13th October 2020
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
Just got mine today, it’s definitely taking some getting used to so I’ll reserve judgement till I’ve spent more time with them. Right now though I’m liking Howies mastering room the most, really helped me hear some woofy sub stuff going on in drum room mics that my normal monitoring setup wasn’t revealing.

To anyone struggling with positioning their headphones, I opted to use pink noise moving the headphones about till the top end felt balanced and clear. Then to double check I slowly panned left to right. It was pretty weird hearing the signal in front of me moving left to right, but a good test that the binaural depth thing was working.
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by kindafishy ➡️
Here's a bit of an unintended benefit...

VSX just saved me $150 because I was able to hear such fine detail in various environments while auditioning a new plugin that I thought I wanted to buy. Turns out that my current main plugin is preferable to me when compared to the new plugin.

This thing may end up paying for itself by saving me money spent on plugins that I really don't need. I suffer from FOMO and I am very easily influenced by all the latest and greatest talk on the forums. Weird that I am well aware of this but it still happens all the time... but that's the way it is. The mind is crazy.

Anyway, these phones just changed the game for me. Along with my interface and my computer itself, this is the best investment I have made when it comes to mix engineering gear.
We certainly now have the advantage to do our own critical comparison shootouts using VSX. Don't tell Slate though...he has a plug company to support
Old 13th October 2020
I received my replacement pair a few days ago, initially heard the exact same things as before (comb filter / phased sound) so I don't believe it was a product defect. That said, I'm keeping these and here is what has worked for me personally.

The binaural stuff is just a real mind-f**k for my brain, I absolutely cannot switch between rooms or models without completely "rinsing" my brain for a few minutes. To use these effectively, I have to mute my monitors, pick the room I want to use (usually Archon Midfield) wait a minute or two, put the headphones on and slowly bring up the volume on my headphone amp with some reference material on, then I can adjust and settle into using them after about 5 minutes. However, the second I switch to another room it's all over, the jig is up and my brain knows what's going on and says, "no way bro, we're not gonna do this" and I'm back to phase / comb-filter land. The 2 second cleanse is not enough for me, if I want to switch rooms I have to turn the volume all the way down, remove the headphones from my ears as a sort of psychological palette cleanse, wait a minute or two and repeat the process and adjust to the new space. I am not certain my brain will ever be able to click through the different rooms as some suggest, to date it has not and I'm moving forward with the expectation that I will need to use them in a very disciplined way like I've outlined. Like Steven mentioned, you can't instantly beam yourself into your car or another studio with a single click, and this seemed to be what my problem was. I fully believe others are way less sensitive to the binaural effects and can glide through the rooms like it's nothing.

For those that are having issues with system-wide integration. Be sure to check if your hardware interface's mixer software has a stand-alone, digital loopback routing feature built-in. I'm using a Metric Halo ULN8 and have configured a loopback routing in the MIO mixer through a stand-alone instance of bluecat's patchwork. This gives me an always-on, system-wide instance of VSX routed straight to my headphone amp, so I never have to bypass or fiddle with anything going between the headphones and the monitors. I just tell bluecat to load at system launch and it calls up a default preset. I personally like this solution better than the "fake audio driver" tools that hijack the system audio because I can run the ULN8 in exclusive mode with stuff like Tidal or Audirvana or DAWs whose audio engines are fussy about controlling the hardware (Pro Tools), I always worried about clocking/drift artifacts with stuff like audio hijack and sound source and I'm hesitant to run my entire monitoring chain through those. That said, sound source is working great on my MacBook Pro rig into a Dragonfly Red DAC (which powers the VSX well, plenty of juice).

Side note, these still don't sound like my real M50s but I'm just gonna chalk that up to the pair that was measured wasn't my pair. Maybe if I had a dozen pairs to A/B it would all average out, but I don't.

I will close with one of the reasons I am excited about these. I get nagging back pain from sitting too much in the studio, but of course, seated is where the entire room and monitoring chain was designed to be most accurate. I am hoping to use these with a standing desk rig for a bit of occasional relief. The idea is I can throw on the Archon Midfield's and stand up for 30 minutes and continue to work effectively without being out of the sweet spot, while my back gets a nice little break from sitting.

Last edited by finishingmove; 13th October 2020 at 07:51 PM.. Reason: spelling
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abbing ➡️
Still no stock at Thomann? Ordered mine on the 5th.Some already have 3 and I have 0.
Same! Also ordered on the 5th and still waiting!
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by finishingmove ➡️
For those that are having issues with system-wide integration. Be sure to check if your hardware interface's mixer software has a stand-alone, digital loopback routing feature built-in. I'm using a Metric Halo ULN8 and have configured a loopback routing in the MIO mixer through a stand-alone instance of bluecat's patchwork. This gives me an always-on, system-wide instance of VSX routed straight to my headphone amp, so I never have to bypass or fiddle with anything going between the headphones and the monitors. I just tell bluecat to load at system launch and it calls up a default preset. I personally like this solution better than the "fake audio driver" tools that hijack the system audio because I can run the ULN8 in exclusive mode with stuff like Tidal or Audirvana or DAWs whose audio engines are fussy about controlling the hardware (Pro Tools), I always worried about clocking/drift artifacts with stuff like audio hijack and sound source and I'm hesitant to run my entire monitoring chain through those. That said, sound source is working great on my MacBook Pro rig into a Dragonfly Red DAC (which powers the VSX well, plenty of juice).
I have a LIO-8 3D. I'm not sure how to get a plugin inserted via MIOConsole3D though - any pointers?

That's a neat way to do it!
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Animesh Raval ➡️
Just got mine today, it’s definitely taking some getting used to so I’ll reserve judgement till I’ve spent more time with them. Right now though I’m liking Howies mastering room the most, really helped me hear some woofy sub stuff going on in drum room mics that my normal monitoring setup wasn’t revealing.

To anyone struggling with positioning their headphones, I opted to use pink noise moving the headphones about till the top end felt balanced and clear. Then to double check I slowly panned left to right. It was pretty weird hearing the signal in front of me moving left to right, but a good test that the binaural depth thing was working.
Genius!

Especially the SUV emu tends to sound lopsided. In the beginning I thought it must be my ear damage! Volume of mid and upper mid frequencies were slightly but dramatic higher in volume at the right side. But then I switched to mono pre-VSX and the audio was centered correctly. Is it the IR image or am I hallucinating???
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by S1GNL ➡️
Genius!

Especially the SUV emu tends to sound lopsided. In the beginning I thought it must be my ear damage! Volume of mid and upper mid frequencies were slightly but dramatic higher in volume at the right side. But then I switched to mono pre-VSX and the audio was centered correctly. Is it the IR image or am I hallucinating???
I wonder if they are emulating the front passenger seat or the driver's seat. The stereo field would be uneven in either location.
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Entrainer ➡️
I wonder if they are emulating the front passenger seat or the driver's seat. The stereo field would be uneven in either location.
First thing I thought about, like "Hey, that makes sense! The image of the mid/high frequencies is slightly panned to the right if you’re sitting in the driver’s seat." So... maybe?
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Phil ➡️
Bugger. Just received a message from Sweetwater that because of their dealer agreement they can’t ship to Australia. It seems a little unfair that we are forced to pay $899 AUD ($646 USD) instead of the $479 USD it costs to buy in the USA.
It is just the reality of businesses providing their products overseas...

In the UK it is £479 which is 865 AUD. Import taxes, customs taxes, shipping costs and VAT all add up to a kick in the balls.
Old 13th October 2020
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Ok, so a few days ago I had to record some pupils at our music academy where they played various pieces composed by a teacher who is retiring (an awesome old lad who happened to be my music theory teacher when I was a kid, and now he has been the theory teacher for my kids too, and my sons trombone teacher!).

We had 6 different sets to record, over 20 performances in total ranging from small two piece groups to various big band setups, all the way to a full horn orchestra. All of this had to be done in about 8 hours. The venue was a typical nicer-than-average rich school auditorium/concert hall.. so not a bad location all things considered. Except for the whole COVID situation which meant that literally the whole orchestra was unnaturally spaced, leaving about 1.5 meters between each performer. This made things a bit tricky.

Naturally I jumped at the opportunity to use my VSX headphones to be able to quickly and accurately place the rather few microphones I had available to the best of my ability. I'm not at all a seasoned professional when it comes to location recordings of classical and big band music. Heck, I've probably recorded less than 30 such events in my entire career. I can't even begin to express how much help these headphones were! I mainly used the 'Audiophile' room and Archon's trusty midfields for checking the natural balance.

I had a matched stereo set of Octava MK 012, with the rather rare additional large diaphragm capsule, and a pair of Rode NT1 (the new black version). These were going straight into a RME UFX which in turn was hooked up to my unfortunately noisy and crappy old 2012 Clevo laptop that quite a few have heard me bitching about over the years.

Today I started parsing through the results at the studio and at home and I have to say I've probably outdone myself this time. Holy smokes! This actually sounds pretty damn decent! All with basic microphone placement, trusting what I heard from VSX.

Here is a small snippet from the Piano + Flute performance. This has virtually no processing at all.
Attached Files

Last edited by bmanic; 13th October 2020 at 10:25 PM.. Reason: spelling
GBP
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
The VSX aren't balanced, they use a single ended 3.5mm connection. Using the Atom would have zero negative impact in your system. Positive probably, as it's perfectly suited to the VSX in terms of power delivery (less THD etc).

Did you even look at the measurements? The Atom beats the Monotor in every aspect, 'pro' market or not, at both 33 and 300 ohms.
That's not how headphone impedance matching works, it's more complicated than that unfortunately!.

The Atom provides more power at 300 Ohms (250 mW vs 230 mW), and much more importantly at 33 Ohms (VSX territory) the Monotor measures very badly in the test, only providing 0.2 watts. This means both higher distortion and noise floor.

The Atom provides 5x more power: 1.1 watts. The reviewer said this:

"[With the Atom] You get one full watt of power at just 0.0009% distortion. Incredible."

There's no contest between the Monotor and Atom for the VSX. Sorry for pushing the point, but I want to make it clear that the Atom is what people need.

FWIW I'm going to try an Atom myself, and I'll happily sell my £1,800 Violectric V281 if it sounds as good (or better!) with the VSX. The Atom measures better than the V281 in many aspects. It's INSANE value for money. As are the balanced units listed previously.

Only niggle is it uses RCA inputs.

Yeah you don't need a DAC, you have your main interface for that. Just connect the Atom to the output.

SoundSource is always in the menubar, it's probably easier/faster to access than when a plugin insert.

Yes you have to enable/disable when using headphones—that's inevitable—but we're talking 2 mouse clicks here :¬)
Hey Bose, all this heavy technical stuff is far above my pay grade !

Unfortunately someone has just bought my subpac that I put up for sale as I read someone thought vsx was better than subpac and sonnarworks....Which I had.... (they bought it a bit too quickly for my liking, I was hoping to compare the vsx!)

Obviously I am looking to get vsx and currently have a TC electronic BMC-2 being fed by Apollo spdif and used as headphone feed, as just sold my drawmer Mc-2.1. Tech specs for bmc-2

D to A Conversion: 24 bit, 128 x Oversampling Bitstream
D to A Delay: 0.40 ms / 0.20 ms @ 48 kHz / 96 kHz
Headphones Output
Connectors 1/4" Phone Jack (Stereo)
Impedance 80 Ohm
Max. Output Level: +20 dBu (no load)
Digital gain: Off to +12 dB
THD: < -85 dB (0.006 %) @ 1 kHz, -1 dBFS, 0 dB gain, 300 Ohm
Dynamic Range: > 102 dB, 20 Hz to 20 kHz
Freq. Response: +0/-0.2 dB, 20 Hz to 20 kHz
Power @ 40 Ohm Load: 200 mW
Power @ 600 Ohm Load: 93 mW

Should I just get an atom in advance of receiving vsx. Or will I be fine with the Bmc ? I can’t really use my speaker options quested sub etc presently but only single mixcube occasionally....

Thanks for you help dude Appreciate it.
Here for the gear

Hi, long time forum lurker, first time poster here. Been an audio pro for 25 years and I've had my pair of Sennheiser HD600's for 21 of them so I know them inside out. I know they're light in the bass and the best I've gotten was using tone boosters morphit to compensate, but these Slate 'phones immediately told me that they had a more accurate low end and not just extra flabbiness pretending to be detailed low end.

I had a problem with a track which had a subby synth bass layered with a real electric playing an octave higher, I just couldn't get a clear separation, these Slate 'phones did the trick and in 10 minutes I'd fixed the problem which would have taken many trial and errors without them.

Archon midfield for me has an ability to make you set the reverb, delay and general fx balance spot on whilst also being a full range frequency balance fixer, its a very close up presentation which was near perfect for me, the Archon far field were amazing for real depth In the kick and bass. The NRG near field is exactly as I'd hoped and gave a slightly bigger room ambience with all the tonal features of NS-10's. It is uncanny the feeling of depth and space around the direct sound from the 'speakers', I'd used ARS3 (with correct head measurements) before and it was useful in checking bass/sub over the three types of speaker, but the sound seemed ill-defined throughout the spectrum to me and I was guessing more than I'd liked about eq and compression decisions.

For info, as it may help some, my head is 19.2cm from ear to ear and they fit very comfortably, a bit heavier feeling than my HD600's, although smaller in size. The closed back design is welcome as I mix in the spare room of my house and I like to listen quite loud.

When I tried the headphone emulations they all sounded terrible, the 650's were absolutely nothing like my 600's, way too dull by comparison (no idea how 650's actually sound but they were a million miles from the same 'family' sound people say is the difference between them) in fact all of them were not to my liking, the HD linear was interesting and the best (most usable for making decisions) headphone style.

I'm a big 'spike' stent fanboy and his mixes sound amazing on every single speaker model in VSX and they've given me really interesting things to think about on my mixes when switching between the rooms/speakers. Not really had any issues with switching between sets and having weird phasing problems, I seem to be less sensitive to these things! The depth knob had very little impact on the sound for me.

I'd like to thank @ Bose and @ bmanic for their contributions to the threads I've read (although my bank account doesn't!). When people like this put the amount of time they have into testing plugins/gear and giving us high quality feedback to make our own minds up, we should be very grateful.

Good luck to all who buy these 'phones, they've added more to the quality of my productions and mixes/masters in one day than any plugin/softsynth/technique has. Here's to the next few months of really putting them through their paces.
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by JfromRVA ➡️
We certainly now have the advantage to do our own critical comparison shootouts using VSX. Don't tell Slate though...he has a plug company to support
Pair this with GainMatch by LetiMix for plugin shootouts.
Old 13th October 2020
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
I received my replacement pair a few days ago, initially heard the exact same things as before (comb filter / phased sound) so I don't believe it was a product defect. That said, I'm keeping these and here is what has worked for me personally.

The binaural stuff is just a real mind-f**k for my brain, I absolutely cannot switch between rooms or models without completely "rinsing" my brain for a few minutes. To use these effectively, I have to mute my monitors, pick the room I want to use (usually Archon Midfield) wait a minute or two, put the headphones on and slowly bring up the volume on my headphone amp with some reference material on, then I can adjust and settle into using them after about 5 minutes. However, the second I switch to another room it's all over, the jig is up and my brain knows what's going on and says, "no way bro, we're not gonna do this" and I'm back to phase / comb-filter land. The 2 second cleanse is not enough for me, if I want to switch rooms I have to turn the volume all the way down, remove the headphones from my ears as a sort of psychological palette cleanse, wait a minute or two and repeat the process and adjust to the new space. I am not certain my brain will ever be able to click through the different rooms as some suggest, to date it has not and I'm moving forward with the expectation that I will need to use them in a very disciplined way like I've outlined. Like Steven mentioned, you can't instantly beam yourself into your car or another studio with a single click, and this seemed to be what my problem was. I fully believe others are way less sensitive to the binaural effects and can glide through the rooms like it's nothing.

Side note, these still don't sound like my real M50s but I'm just gonna chalk that up to the pair that was measured wasn't my pair. Maybe if I had a dozen pairs to A/B it would all average out, but I don't.

I will close with one of the reasons I am excited about these. I get nagging back pain from sitting too much in the studio, but of course, seated is where the entire room and monitoring chain was designed to be most accurate. I am hoping to use these with a standing desk rig for a bit of occasional relief. The idea is I can throw on the Archon Midfield's and stand up for 30 minutes and continue to work effectively without being out of the sweet spot, while my back gets a nice little break from sitting.
Interesting post. I'm going to try the volume ramp up trick you mentioned. NRG and Archon sound great to me, but Howie's room always sounds phasey no matter what I listen to. The cars also sound phasey, or perhaps "reflective." Which I guess that's exactly what they are in real life. To be honest, I've never really understood or used the infamous car test. Everything always sounds terrible to me in the car in real life and not in a "I'm used to that" way haha

Can you elaborate on the part I bolded above? What concerns do you have with running system output through Hijack or SoundSource?
Lives for gear

Quote:

Thanks for this info. I might look in to that option myself.
GBP
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivan Mihaljevic ➡️
Same! Also ordered on the 5th and still waiting!
I think they are due In on the 19th
Lives for gear

Quote:
I have a LIO-8 3D. I'm not sure how to get a plugin inserted via MIOConsole3D though - any pointers?

That's a neat way to do it!
Use the I/O plugin as a send/return on your main output.

E.G send to host 3/4 - set patchwork to receive audio on those channels and to output on 3/4 or whichever channels you want, then set the return in the MH I/O plug.
Old 13th October 2020
Lives for gear

Haven't read the whole damn thread yet, but saw a couple mentions of people sending back for replacements.
What kind of hardware issues have people experienced with these?
Old 14th October 2020 | Show parent
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmanic ➡️
Ok, so a few days ago I had to record some pupils at our music academy where they played various pieces composed by a teacher who is retiring (an awesome old lad who happened to be my music theory teacher when I was a kid, and now he has been the theory teacher for my kids too, and my sons trombone teacher!).

We had 6 different sets to record, over 20 performances in total ranging from small two piece groups to various big band setups, all the way to a full horn orchestra. All of this had to be done in about 8 hours. The venue was a typical nicer-than-average rich school auditorium/concert hall.. so not a bad location all things considered. Except for the whole COVID situation which meant that literally the whole orchestra was unnaturally spaced, leaving about 1.5 meters between each performer. This made things a bit tricky.

Naturally I jumped at the opportunity to use my VSX headphones to be able to quickly and accurately place the rather few microphones I had available to the best of my ability. I'm not at all a seasoned professional when it comes to location recordings of classical and big band music. Heck, I've probably recorded less than 30 such events in my entire career. I can't even begin to express how much help these headphones were! I mainly used the 'Audiophile' room and Archon's trusty midfields for checking the natural balance.

I had a matched stereo set of Octava MK 012, with the rather rare additional large diaphragm capsule, and a pair of Rode NT1 (the new black version). These were going straight into a RME UFX which in turn was hooked up to my unfortunately noisy and crappy old 2012 Clevo laptop that quite a few have heard me bitching about over the years.

Today I started parsing through the results at the studio and at home and I have to say I've probably outdone myself this time. Holy smokes! This actually sounds pretty damn decent! All with basic microphone placement, trusting what I heard from VSX.

Here is a small snippet from the Piano + Flute performance. This has virtually no processing at all.
I'd take the natural sound of that piano on any recording. The flute came through nice, clear, including the performer's articulations. Sounds like VSX passed its first field test for you!
📝 Reply