IK Multimedia introduces MixBox virtual channel strip plug-in - Page 4 - Gearslutz
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
IK Multimedia introduces MixBox virtual channel strip plug-in
Old 18th September 2020 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigSmo View Post
How’s does this compare to the PSP InfiniStrip?
Pricing is the same, I saw the plugin doctors were upset about cramping, blah blah... Does this have cramping too?

Which sounds best? Which offers more?
Well, infinistrip has 24 modules for 149 intro price, mixbox 70 for 199 (+taxes). You do the math
Old 18th September 2020
Here for the gear

I see they have released another module for T-Racks also - the Space Delay...

My guess is that MixBox should not be seen as a replacement to T-Racks and they will most likely update T-Racks to V6 pretty soon.
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter - IK View Post
There are still a chunk of new FX in there. If you don't feel it is worth what your pricing turns out to be, I hope we have something in the future that suits you. Nobody is being mislead and as always you can demo what we offer to make sure we're not forcing you to buy something that isn't for you, doesn't work for you or in the way you'd like, etc.
Hey Peter,

while I don´t understand the frequent IK bashing over here, I still think that the upgrade prices should be stepped, depending on the amount of already owned stuff.

For example, more than 50$ for a Total Studio 2 MAX owner is too much in my book.

For an IK-newcomer, the price is fine, I´d say.
Gear Nut
It adds up to 119.99 Euros for me :( in London

Quote:
Originally Posted by cprompt View Post
How I wish it was just $99.99, Peter. This has been said many times, and it's not IK's fault, but because I'm in the UK, it's 99.99 (so $118) plus the dreaded VAT so we're up to about $142, which is a long way from that $99.99 you mention.

Why does IK charge the same numeric price in dollars and euros when there is such a significant discrepancy between them? If IK said "$99.99 or €84.99" then that would be pretty fair, but to charge the same number for different currencies is always going to penalise somebody, and that somebody is the people in Europe who also have to contend with VAT which, in this case, makes it 42% more expensive than people who can buy in dollars.

As a long time user of IK's products, this won't have me flouncing out in a cloud of talc. MixBox looks like a great product and I look forward to demoing it soon, but for the reasons above, it isn't a bargain by any stretch of the imagination even with the cross-grade and €50 discount.
It adds up to 119.99 Euros for me :( in London. That is using cross grade and promo code.
Old 18th September 2020
Gear Nut
Demoing this currently and it does sound great! I have a lot of IK plugins and the price I have to pay is roughly 120 Euros :( Still, the workflow is great and the way the plugin works and even from the presets makes this a really cool studio tool. I am not sure yet whether I will pull the trigger but I am tempted.
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankieJay View Post
It adds up to 119.99 Euros for me :( in London. That is using cross grade and promo code.
Correct, which is about the $142 I stated in my post. I converted to dollars so Peter, who is American, could compare this with the $99.99 he stated in his original post, or 42% more expensive than perhaps Americans can buy it for (unless IK adds US sales tax which I doubt very much).

IK can't be held responsible for adding the VAT, that's just what has to be done, but they are responsible for charging the same amount of dollars vs euros which is demonstrably unfair. But Peter said he will pass this concern along the chain so hopefully, IK might listen and do something about it. It's unlikely they'll raise the dollar value because that $99.99 looks sweet sitting a penny under the magic $100 but if they charged the equivalent €85 then at least we Europeans (curse Brexit) would be paying the same amount (before tax).
Old 18th September 2020
Gear Maniac

As a Tracks Max customer, I'd go for this if it was $49. Waiting to see what BF brings - as for so so many plugs at the mo.
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChocolateHawkins View Post
I'm not sure if it's been answered yet, but maybe Peter can confirm: are the processors in the modules the same as their individual; versions? If I use the bus comp module, it's no different than using the bus comp plugin?

I have a few IK plugs I've wanted but don't have. If these aren't cut down in any way I'm going to jump at it.
The versions in MixBox are cut down in functionality compared to the T-Racks and individual versions. At least the ones i checked.

Some (like the old reverbs and delay) are very limited, miss a lot of functions. Others miss the extra stuff like oversampling and m/s options.

Also, the presets of the individual MixBox modules are not the same as the individual T-Racks versions.

So, no, they're not the same.
Lives for gear

I own T-Racks Max + Tape Machines and really like the new products IK are bringing out! The new Space Delay and Sunset Sound sound great (though the fact that I need to run this at a lower volume to all my other reverbs because of the distortion issue).

MixBox looks like a great product as well and I would tempted to buy it even though I own T-Racks 5 Max. However, I find the whole 1:1 $/€ pricing unfair. Also for some strange reason I can't even use my Jam Points when buying the crossgrade!!?? These two issues have put me off buying any of these products.

I have no problem appreciating the extra content in MixBox and I would find them very useful but until the pricing policy is fair and we can use our Jam Points I'll be holding off on these products which is a real shame as I personally think iK is releasing some of the best products on the market. I love T-Racks 5 Max and use lots of the various modules and the mastering suite on every track I mix here!
Old 18th September 2020
Lives for gear

I think the product looks awesome. The most comprehensive mix rack so far, and I love this company's modelling. Those filters and the tape module are awesome.

Well done IK!
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by dione View Post
The versions in MixBox are cut down in functionality compared to the T-Racks and individual versions. At least the ones i checked.

Some (like the old reverbs and delay) are very limited, miss a lot of functions. Others miss the extra stuff like oversampling and m/s options.

Also, the presets of the individual MixBox modules are not the same as the individual T-Racks versions.

thanks for the reply. i assumed as much but still have to demo it.

it seems like a cool idea and i would be interested but any way i flip it, i feel i am re-paying for stuff i already have. (I have a lot of those T-tracks plugins and the Rotary). Even at the $99 i ntro deal, I just can't justify it.
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by dione View Post

Thanks. I do own the CSR bundle and a number of the other plugins included here, and now that you mention it they do seem simplified. I don't think they cut corners on sound but the controls are minimized.

I demoed Mixbox last night and the workflow is fantastic. I was able to work really fast and the variety of sound on offer is great. IK make killer stuff. My most used plugins are Tapes and Saturator X.

Is it worth $199/$149/$99? Absolutely it is. The new reverbs are really nice and much better than the old CSR.

Let's do the math since no one has:

$200/70 = $2.85 per plugin
$149 = $2.12 per plugin
$99 = $1.41 per plugin

So even if you owned *every* plugin in Mixbox, you're paying $1.41 each for an upgrade to workflow. The best part is? You don't *have* to. No one is forcing you to up/crossgrade. So you're not "repaying" for anything unless of course you originally spent $1.41 per plugin... Then yes, you are repaying for them.

We are all overwhelmed with plugins right now so anything that cuts down on choice, searching, and flipping between plugins is a good thing. It saves me time (=money) and gets good results.
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by dickiefunk View Post
Also for some strange reason I can't even use my Jam Points when buying the crossgrade!!??
Do you qualify for the $/€50 discount aswell? If so, you can't use Jampoints, it's one or the other and the $/€50 is slightly better value than 30% of $/€150.
Lives for gear

Quote:
Do you qualify for the $/€50 discount aswell? If so, you can't use Jampoints, it's one or the other and the $/€50 is slightly better value than 30% of $/€150.
Hi. Yes I qualify for the €50 discount but don't understand why I then can't use my JamPoints?
Lives for gear

Quote:
Hi. Yes I qualify for the €50 discount but don't understand why I then can't use my JamPoints?
when the coupon gets applied in your cart, it disables the jampoints box.
Lives for gear

Quote:
Cos that's the way it is, I guess. Yeah, I looked for that jampoints box on the order page for a while, and it sure would make the price pretty sweet, but there we go.
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by telecode View Post
when the coupon gets applied in your cart, it disables the jampoints box.
Quote:
Cos that's the way it is, I guess. Yeah, I looked for that jampoints box on the order page for a while, and it sure would make the price pretty sweet, but there we go.
Ah ok that's a shame. It seems unfair for EU customers to be charger more than the $ rate and also have to pay tax and then can't use our Jam Points!?
Lives for gear

Quote:
Ah ok that's a shame. It seems unfair for EU customers to be charger more than the $ rate and also have to pay tax and then can't use our Jam Points!?
Even though originally Italian maybe IK has lost giving a damn about the European market now....We'll see by how quickly, if at all this is rectified.
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neptune45 View Post
Even though originally Italian maybe IK has lost giving a damn about the European market now....We'll see by how quickly, if at all this is rectified.
Old 18th September 2020
Gear Maniac

As a consumer, I'll say my 'feeling' and maybe IK will take it into account. Having recently bouth TRMax, Sunset and Tapes - this crossrade, not to be dramatic, but feels a little insulting. I really like the quality of IK but this move doesn't feel good to me as I just bought nearly all of these and now they are asking for $99 to buy them again in a new format?

If there are new ones , as Peter says, then I think they should do a much better job to explain what these new ones offer - instead of just saying, as Peter did, "Look at the website"
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgood View Post
Peter’s gonna get c()ckslapped for pages over this... but, lay off the guy y’all...

IK has come up with with a new landscape for their IP... if you have all of their stuff already (like I do) or even a good deal of it, the chance of you buying into this is probably zero, so why bother yelling at Peter about pricing...?

If you’re a new fish, this might be a simpler way to work than the T-racks interface
Yeah i agree with this. I have most of it already, so will pass (though may well pick it up as stuff is added....thats the other thing)
But for someone who doesn't already have the stuff it is a great deal.
Company Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgw5 View Post
As a consumer, I'll say my 'feeling' and maybe IK will take it into account. Having recently bouth TRMax, Sunset and Tapes - this crossrade, not to be dramatic, but feels a little insulting. I really like the quality of IK but this move doesn't feel good to me as I just bought nearly all of these and now they are asking for $99 to buy them again in a new format?

If there are new ones , as Peter says, then I think they should do a much better job to explain what these new ones offer - instead of just saying, as Peter did, "Look at the website"
Ryan posted a list for those that didn't want to visit the web site. Steering people for the most comprehensive information available and where they can demo the product shouldn't be seen as a bad thing but I guess I learn something new every day.

I mean, I can't come over and install it and tweak knobs for everybody either
Old 18th September 2020
Gear Maniac

for the rack plugins that are ports of existing plugins, are they just cut down versions of the original?
Old 18th September 2020
Lives for gear

Demoing and just wondering how long the intro pricing lasts for?
Old 18th September 2020
Gear Addict

Someone on KVR has pointed out that this is literally just the effects from SampleTank 4, nothing new.
Should be free for ST4 Max owners (Like Serum Effects)
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by JfromRVA View Post
It sounds odd but he is not joking. The 500 units run, in average, about 1.3
kilihampsters less than the full models.
Company Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigSmo View Post
Someone on KVR has pointed out that this is literally just the effects from SampleTank 4, nothing new.
Should be free for ST4 Max owners (Like Serum Effects)
But it is not. I know people don't want to go to the web site but I've mentioned here too that there are four new reverbs, the Tape Cassette module is nowhere to be found in SampleTank 4, not to mention other features like the sidechaining, wet/dry controls, instant recall of multiple racks, and more.

Sorry that your "gotcha" transported from basically the land of failed attempts at "gotcha" internet sleuthing didn't work out.

But thank you for the opportunity to point out the differences to those that didn't realize MixBox is a completely different tool.
Company Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neptune45 View Post
Demoing and just wondering how long the intro pricing lasts for?
October 31st.
Company Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yimbot View Post
Would love to see two things included in this for it to be a no brainer for me:

1. Mid/Side selectable on every module
2. All the T-Racks and Tape modules available as 500 series versions.
Thank you for the suggestions. I know the tape machines are pretty resource intensive and we need recall on MixBox as an important feature but anything is possible and I won't mention that when I bring them up for MixBox (again).
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter - IK View Post
But it is not. I know people don't want to go to the web site but I've mentioned here too that there are four new reverbs, the Tape Cassette module is nowhere to be found in SampleTank 4, not to mention other features like the sidechaining, wet/dry controls, instant recall of multiple racks, and more.

Sorry that your "gotcha" transported from basically the land of failed attempts at "gotcha" internet sleuthing didn't work out.

But thank you for the opportunity to point out the differences to those that didn't realize MixBox is a completely different tool.
That’s no way to speak to a loyal customer Peter. Get a grip!
I was Only relaying what I read, there’s a picture and list of all the effects in ST4, you’re right though, the tape module isn’t there.
📝 Reply