The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Shane Wilson's Guide to Mixing
Old 16th September 2007
Gear maniac

Got mine the other day. Well done. thumbsup
Old 17th September 2007
Lives for gear

I just finished watching. Great job! I really took away some good things to try out in my own studio.

I also just listened to the different mix path files on some headphones here at home. I'm probably going to be stoned for saying this, but I think I like the 1/2" mix the least. Even though the top end had a silkiness to it and the bottom had some thickness that was nice, it sounded murky to me. Anyone else have any thoughts on this?

Brad
Old 20th September 2007
Gear Nut

Great DVD! Lots of good stuff on it.

Shane Wilson is amazing, he seems to be a really cool cat too.

Kudos to the Audioinstruction team and Shane!

Last edited by ez135; 20th September 2007 at 04:43 AM.. Reason: spelling
Old 20th September 2007
Lives for gear

My only complaint was the visual quality of the screen shots seemed a little poor, I couldn't make out any of the menu names on the Protools or plug-in interface . I felt as if I was watching a Youtube video; outside of that, I really enjoyed the Q&A portion.
Old 21st September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by obostic View Post
My only complaint was the visual quality of the screen shoots seemed a little poor, I couldn't make out any of the menu names on the Protools or plug-in interface . I felt as if I was watching a Youtube video; outside of that, I really enjoyed the Q&A portion.

I think it was more the very high resolution setting of the monitor made it harder to read. You definitely got the idea of what he was doing every step. There's a LOT of content on there. Over 3 hours! Very entertaining though. You get halfway through it before you realize it.
Old 21st September 2007
Lives for gear

On the 2nd CD there are PDFs of all of his plug in settings so you can see them clearly. So if you did not see what you needed in the video, the settings are available along with the wave files in their respective folders.

I pulled in the files tonight and set things up similar to what Shane is doing. One overwhelming thing came to mind. The tracks are very well recorded to begin with and that has a lot to do with them coming together so well. The reason I know this is within about 30 minutes I had a slamming mix put together that exceeded any of my own personally tracked efforts. I tried the mixing and bussing methods on some of my own tracks and they definitely improved the sound about tenfold but the final sheen did not quite match the files from the CDs. Not complaining here just giving my experience.
Old 21st September 2007
Lives for gear

Honestly, I wasn't concern about his settings it was just difficult to enjoy because I was constantly straining to see; the same feeling you get looking at the average youtube video; very irritating to watch when the picture is unclear.

After an hour of watching, I simply stopped and just listened. Please don't get me wrong I think Shane did a fantastic job with his presentation but, I simply would have like to enjoyed it more from a visual perspective.
Old 23rd September 2007
Lives for gear

I finished watching most of Shanes DVD this weekend and I am very impressed. Shane seems very comfortable in front of a camera. Some people enjoy learning in different ways - I prefer to learn from watching someone competent DOING their job.

I found it reassuring to note that I do many of the same things while mixing as Shane AND I also had opportunities to learn some new things and different view points. This DVD was set up perfectly for me and how I like to learn. Job well done, I think the DVD is definitely a worthwhile investment.

One suggestion I would like to make that I haven't seen anyone do - how about creating a booklet to go along with the DVD (or future DVD's). It could outline some of the philosphies dicussed. Plug in and hardware setting etc.... If you made it a PDF you wouldn't even need to print it.
Old 23rd September 2007
Gear interested

I thought the video was great. Good production (although I agree with the frustration on the blurry screenshots - I'd love to get the settings for the hardware) and very informative! I applied some of the techniques to a mix I am working on and have been very happy with the results.
Old 23rd September 2007
Gear interested

Just ordered the bundle and looking forward to seeing it!!

Congrats on the latest addition to the family Chris!
Old 24th September 2007
Lives for gear

Ok... i just got a couple mixes shot over from a record that I did ( sarah macintosh) that Shane mixed... SO GOOD.

Im gonna order this thing tomorrow.
Old 25th September 2007
Lives for gear

I finally got through all of the content, there's got to be over 4 hours on the DVD. There's a lot there but it's a very easy watch.
Old 25th September 2007
Lives for gear

Still waiting for my DVD.

Ordered August the 5th.

Guess it should be my turn now...

G

Sorry...
I'm waiting for the PALs.
Yes, I should be more patient.

Old 25th September 2007
Gear addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gemylon View Post
Still waiting for my DVD.

Ordered August the 5th.

Guess it should be my turn now...

G

Sorry...
I'm waiting for the PALs.
Yes, I should be more patient.

Thank you, PAL customers, for being very patient! We waited a bit longer than we would've liked, for a higher quality conversion (from a third party company, thus the delay). Conversion and compression are finished now...rebuilding menus now. Not much longer.

I can assure you, I am harrassing the appropriate parties on a daily basis!
Old 25th September 2007
Gear Addict

i watched mine and I was impressed. I like just watching the mix unfold instead of "teaching" style. The commentary version is good too.

My data dvd was just floating around in the packaging and got pretty scratched, but i was able to pull all of the date from it.... so i guess all is good.

i've already recommended it to 2 other friends in the biz to check it out.
Old 28th September 2007
Gear addict

update for international orders

Anyone who is waiting for a PAL version of the DVD...

Fed Ex'd the masters to the manufacturer today. We expect to have product ready to ship sometime next week.

Thank you again for your patience!
Old 28th September 2007
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lownotes View Post
My disc 1 (video) was completely off the spindle when it arrived and unfortunately is very scratched. It seems to play (on one of my players) but I'm worried it will not last.

How can I get a replacement?

Thanks, Drew
I would like to mention that I received a replacement (in perfect condition) in just a few days after posting this.

Excellent service, and thanks!
Old 28th September 2007
Gear addict

Thanks for the post, Lownotes. I appreciate you bringing this to our attention. We've since had all the DVD's repackaged with better quality cases.

Problem solved!
Old 29th September 2007
Gear Maniac

Great DVD

Chris,

I think you and everyone else involved have put together a DVD tutorial that will help many.

Truly a GREAT product. I also bought the Russ Long DVD when it came out and I can't say enough good things about both.

I have been recording, mixing, playing and performing for over 20 yrs. and the new insights and knowledge that can be obtained from your DVD's can not be over stated.

It just goes to show you CAN teach a some what older dog some new tricks.

I also really appreciate your attention to your customers.

Thanks so much!!!!

KC

So what's next?
Old 30th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisgraff View Post
Anyone who is waiting for a PAL version of the DVD...

Fed Ex'd the masters to the manufacturer today. We expect to have product ready to ship sometime next week.

Thank you again for your patience!
Looking forward to it!
Thanks.
Old 1st October 2007
Gear addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenkelly81 View Post
Chris,

I think you and everyone else involved have put together a DVD tutorial that will help many.

Truly a GREAT product. I also bought the Russ Long DVD when it came out and I can't say enough good things about both.

I have been recording, mixing, playing and performing for over 20 yrs. and the new insights and knowledge that can be obtained from your DVD's can not be over stated.

It just goes to show you CAN teach a some what older dog some new tricks.

I also really appreciate your attention to your customers.

Thanks so much!!!!

KC

So what's next?
Thanks for the compliment!

Next up is the tracking video (prequel to SW guide to Mixing). We chose to release the mixing DVD first, because of the high demand for mixing DVD's. Of course, we could've released them both simultaneously...except for the fact we'd all still be waiting!

We expect "Shane Wilson's Guide to Tracking" to be released Q1 of 2008. We will be including the unprocessed audio files (ie preamp only). I've compared the processed/unprocessed files myself...very interesting, to say the least!!
Old 1st October 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:

Next up is the tracking video (prequel to SW guide to Mixing). We chose to release the mixing DVD first, because of the high demand for mixing DVD's. Of course, we could've released them both simultaneously...except for the fact we'd all still be waiting!

We expect "Shane Wilson's Guide to Tracking" to be released Q1 of 2008. We will be including the unprocessed audio files (ie preamp only). I've compared the processed/unprocessed files myself...very interesting, to say the least!!
Great News, I can't wait to see this!thumbsup
Old 1st October 2007
Gear Nut
Chris,

Thanks for the excellent product! I found the DVD to be very informative, well produced and enjoyable to watch. Shane did a great job explaining his thought process and the reasons for his choices. For those of us that don’t have the luxury of working regularly with engineers of Shane’s caliber, this is the next best thing. I’m looking forward to the tracking DVD!

David
Old 1st October 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:

This sounds awesome.
Old 2nd October 2007
Gear nut

I'll be purchasing the bundle shortly - thanks for this excellent instructional material!!!

That said, question for you: I assume that the Shane Wilson tracking DVD will be bundled with at least the mixing DVD, if not also with the Russ Long DVD. Any chance previous customers will get a break when the tracking DVD comes out, so that the early adopters who purchase your current bundle get a similar price break to those who purchase your future bundles?
Old 3rd October 2007
Gear maniac

Quote:

Will this Shane Wilson tracking DVD be the same song as on the mixing DVD? I really enjoyed the mixing DVD, but what really floored me was how good the tracks sounded before being mixed
Old 3rd October 2007
Gear addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by ticohans View Post
I'll be purchasing the bundle shortly - thanks for this excellent instructional material!!!

That said, question for you: I assume that the Shane Wilson tracking DVD will be bundled with at least the mixing DVD, if not also with the Russ Long DVD. Any chance previous customers will get a break when the tracking DVD comes out, so that the early adopters who purchase your current bundle get a similar price break to those who purchase your future bundles?
Haven't made any decisions as far as how we'll do this...but yes, we'll take care of our customer base.
Old 3rd October 2007
Gear addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew07 View Post
Will this Shane Wilson tracking DVD be the same song as on the mixing DVD? I really enjoyed the mixing DVD, but what really floored me was how good the tracks sounded before being mixed
Yes, the same song. We shot the tracking session the day before the mix.

I thought the same about the tracks. That might be one of the biggest lessons of the entire DVD: Get it right at the source. It certainly was for me.
Old 3rd October 2007
Lives for gear

I can't give you a review of the DVD because I'm writing one for TapeOp.

EDIT: Apparently he changed clothes, so my Goa Gil reference no longer makes sense.
Old 10th October 2007
Gear addict

We will begin shipping the PAL DVD's in the next couple of days. Thanks to all for your patience!
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+  Submit Thread to Reddit Reddit 

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search