The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
DiBiQuadro MercuryRec - Rectification from Another Planet - New DiBiQuadro Engine
Old 9th September 2020
Lives for gear

Here are two more double tracked, wide panned heavy guitar samples. Same MercuryRec amp settings but with different speaker cabinet plugins plus an equalizer. The equalizer makes a big difference and keeps the digital "haze" in check to a large degree vs. cranking the presence and treble controls.

Don't forget to crank up the volume control when playing the files back below!

To really finish this one off, you're going to want/need some good cabinet modeling plugins. Are any on the way from DBQ?
Attached Files

MercuryRec_Heavy_3.mp3 (678.4 KB, 983 views)

MercuryRec_Heavy_3-2.mp3 (682.1 KB, 1043 views)

Old 9th September 2020
Lives for gear

As someone who has worked in computers and software for over 30 years, I feel really stupid when I can't get something working that other people seem to have no problems with. But I can't get Mercuryrec working!

It's installed using Center, it's loaded in to Reaper, it gets an input signal and it's generating an output (see my screenshot), but no sound actually comes out of the plugin. If I bypass it, I get sound, so it's not me being a numpty. I can't see anything obvious I'm missing here!

Windows 10, 64bit VST3.
Attached Thumbnails
DiBiQuadro MercuryRec - Rectification from Another Planet - New DiBiQuadro Engine-mercuryrec.jpg  
Old 10th September 2020 | Show parent
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by cprompt View Post
As someone who has worked in computers and software for over 30 years, I feel really stupid when I can't get something working that other people seem to have no problems with. But I can't get Mercuryrec working!

It's installed using Center, it's loaded in to Reaper, it gets an input signal and it's generating an output (see my screenshot), but no sound actually comes out of the plugin. If I bypass it, I get sound, so it's not me being a numpty. I can't see anything obvious I'm missing here!

Windows 10, 64bit VST3.
Are you playing a track back or trying to play a guitar through it in real time?
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by doom64 View Post
Are you playing a track back or trying to play a guitar through it in real time?
Both. Removed the plugin, put it back on, can't think of what else to do. If I disable the plugin I get sound so it's definitely the plugin. Very strange.
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by CulchuralMarxism View Post
smith "stole" it directly from soldano
Yes, I already heard this story, here MS and DF discuss about it

I believe DF is referring to the original preamp of the DR, and to some similarities still present - he refers in particular to that "39k cathode resistor":

However, just take a look at the stage immediately before:

They are very different, and there are other details - ie: SaturnLO includes also the send-return section of the first version: 2 more triodes in the circuit which somehow have their effect) - that definitely give different results.

To sum up: the final result is very different because the voicings are different and they cannot be replicated on the other side by simply playing with the circuit (you can try, if you are not afraid ). SaturnLO is mid focused, while MercuryRec emphasizes the band extremes (low end and hi-end) and for sure it's not just a matter of adapting the tonestack at the end of the stages.

Also, the Clean / Pushed channel in MercuryRec is another completely different circuit: I hope you noticed that the tonestack is pre-gain. The clean channel has a lot more similarities with the mk series. In case, the clean channel of SaturnLO can be easily modified to have a warmer tone (C5 can be increased, check the audio clips...), but SaturnLO still keeps its own tone signature.

IMO there are ethical and political reasons behind the positions expressed by MS and DF in that video, but this is far beyond the topic of this thread.

Coming back to our "babies": it takes 2 seconds to test SaturnLO and MercuryRec and check that they are 2 different things, with their own sound.

EDIT: link to the video updated
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiBiQuadro Audio View Post
Yes, I already heard this story, here MS and DF discuss about it
I think the actual start of that topic is at

And you'll enjoy hearing Dave Friedman say, without fear of any legal comeback, "those bastards [mesa boogie] basically just stole it [the slo pre-amp]"
Gear Maniac

Quote:
I think the actual start of that topic is at
Updated, thanks.
Old 10th September 2020
RPH
Gear Nut

Bought MercuryRec, (excellent stuff you are making) but:

- Downloaded your install center v1.0.2 for easy installation and activation.
- Installed MercuryRec and activated it.
- Started Reaper v6.13/x64 rev 2252ae, scantool gives this error only for MercuryRec (SaturnLO is fine).
- Am not finding a log file in the MercuryRec folder.
- MercuryRecRenderer loads fine.

(Windows 10, version 2004)

Cheers,

Rob
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPH View Post
Bought MercuryRec, (excellent stuff you are making) but:

- Downloaded your install center for easy installation and activation.
- Installed MercuryRec and activated it.
- Started Reaper v6.13/x64 rev 2252ae, scantool gives this error only for MercuryRec (SaturnLO is fine).
- Am not finding a log file in the MercuryRec folder.

Cheers,

Rob

Hello Rob,

this should be quite easy to solve. It happened to me a few times too with Reaper, but it's just the first scan that fails - don't really know why (it doesn't happen with other DAWs, and it normally works on Reaper the second time). Anyway you can clean the cache & re-scan, and you should be able to see MercuryRec.

Hope it helps, in case you can contact us at https://dibiquadroaudio.com/contact-us/

Cheers
RPH
Gear Nut

Quote:
Anyway you can clean the cache & re-scan, and you should be able to see MercuryRec.
Tried that, and I can see the plugin now.

Edit: and after a reboot of my computer the plugin works. Nice!

Cheers!

Last edited by RPH; 10th September 2020 at 03:04 PM.. Reason: Computer reboot
Lives for gear

Growing pains of cutting edge plugin technology!

I remember seeing similar posts when Slate Digital first hit the market. DBQ is onto something here with their releases. Anyone not paying attention is losing out.
Old 12th September 2020
Here are some other samples for the higain tones with tighter bottom end. ESP MII / EMG81. Increase the volume as much as you can
Attached Files

CMP_MODERN_BRIGHT_MercuryRec.mp3 (733.1 KB, 658 views)

CMP_MODERN_BRIGHT_MercuryRec_Stereo.mp3 (734.1 KB, 661 views)

CMP_MODERN_BRIGHT_Real.mp3 (733.1 KB, 694 views)

CMP_MODERN_BRIGHT_Real_Stereo.mp3 (734.1 KB, 699 views)

CMP_VINTAGE_BRIGHT_MercuryRec.mp3 (1.09 MB, 676 views)

CMP_VINTAGE_BRIGHT_MercuryRec_Stereo.mp3 (1.09 MB, 653 views)

CMP_VINTAGE_BRIGHT_Real.mp3 (1.09 MB, 691 views)

CMP_VINTAGE_BRIGHT_Real_Stereo.mp3 (1.09 MB, 686 views)

Old 12th September 2020
Lives for gear

Those samples sound great, what cabs or IRs are you using?

I wish I could get this plugin working for me... I may or may not buy it but without being able to get the demo working, I won't even have that option!
Old 12th September 2020 | Show parent
Gear Addict

Quote:

I wish I could get this plugin working for me... I may or may not buy it but without being able to get the demo working, I won't even have that option!
Same, too many install issues at moment
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobMaloogalooga View Post
Same, too many install issues at moment
We would like to help. For us it is fine users post issues publicly, no problem on this. Anyway it would be better to contact also the support: this is the best way to check details of your specific system / authorization.

Feel free to contact us at contact us.
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiBiQuadroDavide View Post
We would like to help. For us it is fine users post issues publicly, no problem on this. Anyway it would be better to contact also the support: this is the best way to check details of your specific system / authorization.

Feel free to contact us at contact us.
You’re right of course, I got Saturn working but just experiencing some odd crashes and it’s finding time to fault find with you guys properly
Quote:
We read your issue and for this the situation is a bit different: we never experienced anything like this (no sound when engaged and signal passing when plugin disangaged on Reaper) and atm we don't have any other user reporting this. We have practically no one contacting us on the support channel.

SaturnLO and MercuryRec interact with the DAW in the same way: they receive pointers to input buffers and they write on output buffers. So if one works very likely the other does.

You can try to contact us to give more details, but for the moment we have no clue.
Lives for gear

Quote:
We read your issue and for this the situation is a bit different: we never experienced anything like this (no sound when engaged and signal passing when plugin disangaged on Reaper) and atm we don't have any other user reporting this. We have practically no one contacting us on the support channel.

SaturnLO and MercuryRec interact with the DAW in the same way: they receive pointers to input buffers and they write on output buffers. So if one works very likely the other does.

You can try to contact us to give more details, but for the moment we have no clue.
Yeah it's a strange one for sure, and I did get the demo of Saturnlo working in the end. I'll probably uninstall and reinstall the plugin later and see what happens. If I've done something dumb I'll put my hands up and admit it but I can't think what it might be. I'll play around some more and see if I can get it working.
Quote:

Thanks. All samples (except the cleans which are just the preamp straight in the AD vs MercuryRec) are done with the N4 Lib we will release soon.

In particular, the dark samples here use pwrcab 10 (v2100 EL34, 60A V30, 57, B73).

The brighter ones here use pwrcab 2 (MSBG 6L6, 60A V30, 57, A12C).

There is some little EQ correction, no LPF/HPF, but the same is applied to both MercuryRec and original hw (so never for match purposes).

On cleans the reverb when present is a Bricasti M7 hw.
Old 12th September 2020
Lives for gear

Finally got it working! I deleted the whole DiBiQuadro folder and re-installed the plugin. Opened Reaper which crashed hard when scanning the plugin. Opened Reaper again and then it works fine.

€58 is a lot of money for an ampsim although MercuryLO does sound really good. And yet, all these little niggles like no audio, and then crashing Reaper, and sometimes the UI doesn't draw when I open the plugin (so just a white window) will make me think really hard about spending that much money. I've got 11 days left of my demo so we'll see what happens
Old 14th September 2020
Gear Maniac

We took a 20 minute look at MercuryRec, it's awesome!
Old 15th September 2020 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericbridenbaker View Post

We took a 20 minute look at MercuryRec, it's awesome!
Thank you, I really enjoyed watching it!

Sorry for not being very active in these last days, we are working on several updates on both SaturnLO and MercuryRec, mainly to improve stability, but not only. Hopefully it will take still 1 or 2 days.

Here for the gear

Quote:
Hi,

could you kindly contact us on
https://dibiquadroaudio.com/contact-us/ . This is the only way to start a basic investigation, from your user accounts (checking the generation of licenses, etc), and eventually to ask more details later.

Thank you

PS: after the release of MercuryRec we received only one request of support and it was about installation from Center / temporary connection issue (currently closed as solved).
Crashing here as well as soon as MerucyRec is added on a track.
Reaper v6.13/x64
Win10

Sent to DBQ contact form also.
Attached Thumbnails
DiBiQuadro MercuryRec - Rectification from Another Planet - New DiBiQuadro Engine-reaper_2020-09-15_19-16-09.png  
Old 15th September 2020
Here for the gear

Sounds good but there are issues in Reaper. Started off with a memory leak then it screwed up my screensets.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MISER View Post
Sounds good but there are issues in Reaper. Started off with a memory leak then it screwed up my screensets.
And now it works? Memory leaks give problems after a while (and the effect is crashing the machine, not just reaper), not at the start up normally, maybe you are confusing with eg. a null pointer (segmentation fault), we can monitor memory leaks. They are difficult to spot without specific tools (valgrind? visual studio? Maybe Task Manager...). I hope you are not debugging our code

(The absence of memory leaks when removing one or more instances is one of the things we always check).

Thanks for the feedback in any case. You can send us some more details to reproduce, if it is systematic, using contact us on our site.
Old 16th September 2020 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

I think we need this for mac os!
Quote:
Originally Posted by theXbucket View Post
I think we need this for mac os!

Me too. I cannot wait to make Logic crash! Ha!

Like if you agree!!!
Lives for gear

Quote:

Like if you agree!!!
Hilarious!!!!

(And, I don't even have Logic or a Mac.)

Am I the only one that keeps refreshing, waiting to see the announcement for the new cabinet thing?
Gear Addict

Quote:

Like if you agree!!!

I am really looking forward to stability fixes. Just tried Neural DSP for the first time and its really good and tempting but I think Saturn/Mercury may just win out if reaper stability is improved.

Tim Petherick does his SCS power amp for Nebula so something like that after Saturn preamp followed by a cab IR, would that be a recommended chain do you think? Or Preamp followed by just a cabinet is perfectly fine?
Old 17th September 2020 | Show parent
Gear Nut

Please Mac plugs :((((((
📝 Reply