The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
SILIKA: Kush's latest compressor NAILS the analog
Old 12th November 2020
Lives for gear

Is there any news on the bugfix?
Very tedious to always wiggle knobs after i change attack.

Thanks
Old 12th November 2020 | Show parent
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by highvoltage View Post

Thanks
Also, will there be black friday deals?
Lives for gear

Quote:

Thanks
I think that already happened!
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by V4nger View Post
I think that already happened!
**** you are right! I thought i would get an email since i'm subscribed, and also to this thread.
Somehow i managed to miss it.

Works great now.
Gear Guru

Quote:

We announced and dropped that update back on September 4th

SILIKA 1.0.1 is Live!

We did blast everyone with a mailer too, if you didn't see it maybe check your spam folder?

Gregory Scott - ubk
Old 16th November 2020
Gear Maniac

Not sure if this is known bug, but just downloaded the SILKA demo in an empty Studio One session, (AU) no other plugs, dialing in a vocal Preset and went to turn the threshold and got a Studio One freeze and then mac froze and panic restarted itself. Haven't had that happen since 3-4 operating systems ago.
Anyone else seeing similar behavior?
Old 26th November 2020 | Show parent
Lives for gear

I've been waiting for a sale to grab UBK-1, then this. Similar feature set to some degree.

Would anyone recommend one over the other? Seems like flexibility versus ease of use.
Old 27th November 2020 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

The Kush subscription is now dongle free!

Just subscribed. Feels like robbery to get all these plugins for just 10 bucks a month.
Gear Head
Does that mean I can now use it on more than one computer?
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by BezowinZ View Post
I've been waiting for a sale to grab UBK-1, then this. Similar feature set to some degree.

Would anyone recommend one over the other? Seems like flexibility versus ease of use.
I only know Silika, AR1 and Novatron.

The results I got on stems with Silika, just for character and a bit parallel compression, for example on a drum stem, blew away two other comps I tried on the stem.

For single audio channels I highly recommend Novatron, as it is capable of cutting pockets for a channel to sit in a dense mix, like a surgical knife. Amazing to sculpture and fit things in.

On the 2-bus, AR1 does wonders, even if the needle barely moves.

I'm very tempted for UBK1 but I don't know if the other plugins not already cover a lot of it. Would be great if a actual user of UBK1 or Gregory himself would reveal some of the impression - opinion. Cheers
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by nichttuntun View Post
I'm very tempted for UBK1 but I don't know if the other plugins not already cover a lot of it. Would be great if a actual user of UBK1 or Gregory himself would reveal some of the impression - opinion. Cheers
Maybe some other people will chime in regarding UBK1. Anyways, on Youtube somebody recently asked him if he had a Kush desert island plugin:

"oof. I can't drill it down to 1, but I can list my desert-island tools from each category, in no particular order, and why:

Novatron: perfect balance of insane versatility with incredibly fast and easy setup. There's nothing it can't compress and you can explore dozens of colors extremely quickly, hard to make it sound bad.

Axis EQ (technically from Sly-Fi but Kush now distributes it). API muscle but way more flexible, and a really sweet colorful tone. Has variable input Sat that should be its own plugin. Bass, drums, guitars, vox, it owns all of them.

Omega A: if you work with electric guitars, this will make all of them sound better, more real, more dimensional. Not sure why, it just always works on them.

Omega TWK: nails the dirt of the Tweaker hardware, this is the absolute smoothest vintage clipper out there. Softens and rounds out digital transients at low settings, has a killer crunchy grind if driven hard. Amazing pre-compression treatment on anything with a transient.

If you ask the typical Kush user, they'd add Omega 458a to that list, it's the distortion section from the AR-1 comp."
Lives for gear

Got all the mentioned ones, except the API style EQ. Can verify this.
Lives for gear

Quote:
I only know Silika, AR1 and Novatron.

The results I got on stems with Silika, just for character and a bit parallel compression, for example on a drum stem, blew away two other comps I tried on the stem.

For single audio channels I highly recommend Novatron, as it is capable of cutting pockets for a channel to sit in a dense mix, like a surgical knife. Amazing to sculpture and fit things in.

On the 2-bus, AR1 does wonders, even if the needle barely moves.

AR-1 along with REDDI and TWK were my 1st Kush purchases. Yeah, AR-1 on the mix bus has been sweet.

I considered Novatron, but really like UBK-1 and am trying not to overdose on compressors. But Novatron seems popular. I'll take a closer look. I thought saturators were my drug. Organizing my plugins revealed it's actually compressors. It's probably the combination.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Durk Diggler View Post
Maybe some other people will chime in regarding UBK1. Anyways, on Youtube somebody recently asked him if he had a Kush desert island plugin:

"oof. I can't drill it down to 1, but I can list my desert-island tools from each category, in no particular order, and why:

Novatron: perfect balance of insane versatility with incredibly fast and easy setup. There's nothing it can't compress and you can explore dozens of colors extremely quickly, hard to make it sound bad.

Axis EQ (technically from Sly-Fi but Kush now distributes it). API muscle but way more flexible, and a really sweet colorful tone. Has variable input Sat that should be its own plugin. Bass, drums, guitars, vox, it owns all of them.

Omega A: if you work with electric guitars, this will make all of them sound better, more real, more dimensional. Not sure why, it just always works on them.

Omega TWK: nails the dirt of the Tweaker hardware, this is the absolute smoothest vintage clipper out there. Softens and rounds out digital transients at low settings, has a killer crunchy grind if driven hard. Amazing pre-compression treatment on anything with a transient.

If you ask the typical Kush user, they'd add Omega 458a to that list, it's the distortion section from the AR-1 comp."
Along with whatever compressor I grab, I'm considering the A & N Omegas. I guess I'm turning into a Kush head.

Somehow I've never even noticed at the Axis plugins.
Old 28th November 2020 | Show parent
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by BezowinZ View Post
AR-1 along with REDDI and TWK were my 1st Kush purchases. Yeah, AR-1 on the mix bus has been sweet.

I considered Novatron, but really like UBK-1 and am trying not to overdose on compressors. But Novatron seems popular. I'll take a closer look. I thought saturators were my drug. Organizing my plugins revealed it's actually compressors. It's probably the combination.

Along with whatever compressor I grab, I'm considering the A & N Omegas. I guess I'm turning into a Kush head.

Somehow I've never even noticed at the Axis plugins.
Novatron, considering compressors, has become something similar as what U-he Satin imo is for tape emulation. Just makes everything sit in its place.

I guess you're wearing a brown cord suite by now?

The Axis has a beautiful saturation added to a good EQ. It lifts the low mids and makes things warmer and thicker. Can quickly get too much, but sounds great. I must add, I only can judge from demos on YT on this one.
tcc
Gear Head

Quote:

The Axis has a beautiful saturation added to a good EQ. It lifts the low mids and makes things warmer and thicker. Can quickly get too much, but sounds great. I must add, I only can judge from demos on YT on this one.
Does anyone know how the AxisEQ saturation compares to the Omega A? Thanks.
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcc View Post
Since today both are in the plugin folder. I report back to you but need some time.
At the moment I'm cleaning up the house and after that the PC
Old 29th November 2020 | Show parent
trying to download the Silika demo since a while...
about 10x attempts failed so far.
I can tell it is not about my internet connection!
Anything wrong with the Kush audio website?
Old 29th November 2020 | Show parent
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcc View Post
From ground off, they are similar but do completely different thing. I had them both side by side on some old string synthesizers and used only the Saturation of Axis, NO EQ.

Axis Saturation is warmer, grabs the end more and shaves it off very smoothly. Axis also adds a L O T of body to lower frequencies. When cranked up, it tightens the L/R movement of a sound very much together, limiting stereo width effects.

Omega A is much more thinner, especially in direct comparison. When cranked up it adds a great high sizzle to sounds. Especially moving and L/R programmed sounds profit from it, as it keeps the movement in tact relatively good.

Both are completely dope imo, I see lots of use for them. Get both!! Different beasts. Axis in addition with its EQ...what a great great one this is
Cheers
Old 30th November 2020 | Show parent
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by tremolux View Post
trying to download the Silika demo since a while...
about 10x attempts failed so far.
I can tell it is not about my internet connection!
Anything wrong with the Kush audio website?
Just tried it and it worked fine first time
Old 1st December 2020 | Show parent
downloads working now
I guess it was the "black friday run"
DL speed on Kush website was realy terrible.
But now its okay.
---

So I was able to try the Silika.

I like it on some sources.
It can do the subtle glue and also crush drums/bass.

But I find it a bit limiting, that the saturation stage is fixed before,
the Compressor stage.
Since the Saturation gives a slight bump in the 50 - 200Hz region.
It drives the kickdrum real hard into the compressor.
Even with the sidechain/ highpass I wasnt able to fully compensate this.

So it seems a bit tricky on a full Drumbus or Mixbus to find a good balance for this and not to squash the kick/bass region to much.
Lives for gear

Did you try to change the type of saturation? The mix in amount is important and finally I got very convincing results on complete drum and bass stems with sparsely parallel compression and without going over 3db GR. I liked it a lot and find it's very adjustable and flexible. If the kick really should be too prominent, you can anyways fix this in the mix on the original kicks in out channels or kick group. So many options. The main thing I used Silika so far is for vibe and tone. It's awesome for that imo. Cheers
tcc
Gear Head

Quote:
From ground off, they are similar but do completely different thing. I had them both side by side on some old string synthesizers and used only the Saturation of Axis, NO EQ.

Axis Saturation is warmer, grabs the end more and shaves it off very smoothly. Axis also adds a L O T of body to lower frequencies. When cranked up, it tightens the L/R movement of a sound very much together, limiting stereo width effects.

Omega A is much more thinner, especially in direct comparison. When cranked up it adds a great high sizzle to sounds. Especially moving and L/R programmed sounds profit from it, as it keeps the movement in tact relatively good.

Both are completely dope imo, I see lots of use for them. Get both!! Different beasts. Axis in addition with its EQ...what a great great one this is
Cheers
Thank you!! I’ll have a listen.
Old 4th December 2020 | Show parent
Lives for gear

Silika is excellent, just used it on a drum buss, wow! Wonderful tone...

Anyway, I think its time for Kush opto plugin now! What do you think guys?
Old 4th December 2020 | Show parent
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by FoxMulderFBI View Post

Really... I think, no matter what they do it will be a great plugin. Got nearly all the stuff now and 2 from the Sly-Fy brand and I don't want to venture further into sonic heaven without them.

But an Opto, yeah why not? If it has that special Kush something like all the other plugins. Let it come

Btw, there is a new Opto released from Tone Empire, which is excellent in my opinion, like all their stuff. Cheers
Old 5th December 2020 | Show parent
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by FoxMulderFBI View Post

Kush’s take on opto style compressor would be interesting for sure! Kush Optic... good name for a tube opto leveller
Gear Maniac

Kush Optic?

I vote for Glaucoma...

bryan
Gear Maniac

I like “OptoMystic.”

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvgenyStudio View Post
Kush’s take on opto style compressor would be interesting for sure! Kush Optic... good name for a tube opto leveller
Old 6th December 2020 | Show parent
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Boom View Post
I like “OptoMystic.”
As Greg is a Dr. (PhD in climate changes and the consequences of global analog warmth) I'd go with "Optometrist"
Old 6th December 2020 | Show parent
Lives for gear

You guys are talking like it's a save thing (opto comp). Do you know more?

Optimopticom
Old 2 weeks ago | Show parent
Lives for gear

Quote:
You guys are talking like it's a save thing. Do you know more?
Yes we do. we are optomistic guys
📝 Reply