The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Leapwing releases RootOne, a unique multi-band subharmonics generator and shaper
Old 9th September 2020 | Show parent
Here for the gear

Thanks everyone for their input and understanding. If you can, we would appreciate to give it another try with v1.2 if you haven't done so yet.

There is also a new review out for those interested:
Leapwing Audio RootOne
Old 10th September 2020 | Show parent
Here for the gear

damn, very disappointed to see i've been testing broken software

i had to try it, dynone has phenomenal filters and the very best sound.
great people built that one

gave root a work out, and concluded it's not working for me, doesn't sound good, except for the sat section..
i put it to bed, save some money, moved on

now i have to redo the whole process again..
if it weren't for the quality of leapwing there's no way i'd trust a company for a second chance
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by miceisnice View Post
damn, very disappointed to see i've been testing broken software

i had to try it, dynone has phenomenal filters and the very best sound.
great people built that one

gave root a work out, and concluded it's not working for me, doesn't sound good, except for the sat section..
i put it to bed, save some money, moved on

if it weren't for the quality of leapwing there's no way i'd trust a company for a second chance
We're all just human, mistakes happen. Maybe you like it alot now, then you have another great tool in your arsenal!
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by filterfreak View Post
We're all just human, mistakes happen.
That is the best way to put it.

While of course I can imagine that you put work aside for your testing and now lost some time, which in times of having work to do surely is uncomforting -
the people in the real uncomfortable situation here are the Leapwing people.

And since we users rely on people doing the meticulous work of developing plugins, and rely on that these people are willing to do this work even while working / developing it is unsure wether or not their work will get paid - and this relying on is the only "work" we users have to do while otherwise being in the rather comfortable situation of just saying yes or no -
for me it is a sign of respect and thankfulness for their work (and in case of Leapwing: a big big thankfulness for their work and the plugins that come out of this work), that such a mistake does no fall flat on them only because we users find it too uncomfortable to do simply another testing.

Also since most of us users here agreed on that Leapwings previous plugins are so outstanding, it was always very very likely, that Rootone is not their first failure, but that some kind of mistake must have happened.
Gear Maniac

Quote:

I hope your clients will not give you the same attitude whenever you make a mistake...
Old 10th September 2020
Gear Addict

want to pull the trigger on this very badly, as a sub gen is literally on every mix i do. but $200 seems like a lot of bones for this. i would have gladly forked over $100 on an introductory priced offering.
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by B.Collins View Post
I hope your clients will not give you the same attitude whenever you make a mistake...
if i hadn't noticed my microphone was broken for days recording their album they might reasonably question my ability..
no one noticed rootone was malfunctioning for days?
not a situational bug, but broken..
i prefer to pay good money for a quality company and product than anything less..
higher expectations come with that
i'm not intending to be harsh on leapwing,
i applaud their efforts to create the highest quality professional tools..
dynone is amazing, as good as it gets
i was quick to make time for rootone because i expect it to be great, surprised it wasn't
they should get the youtube review removed
Gear Maniac

The update definitely resolved the initial "... wait, is it supposed to sound like that?" response I was getting from it, but I'm still not sure how 'must have' this one is for me.

I am a HUGE fanboi of the Leapwing stuff, but as a person who seldom uses subharmonic generators it hasn't convinced me I need it as of yet.

User wise I think there's room for improvement, a mutton button for each band with be very welcomed.

The saturation section sounds nice and is totally useable, but I'd also agree with other users that suggested a high pass might be nice too.

I'm also curious on what is being used as the source for the generation of harmonics -- is it just the fundamental frequencies of what you're tracking or is a full band of lower frequency content?

I'll definitely be putting it through the paces a bit more in the coming days to try to wrap my head around when I would reach for it, personally, but I definitely see the potential in it down the road.
Old 11th September 2020
Lives for gear

I just tried it on a bass guitar in a hip hop mix that needed sub but loair ended up working better. I think the main reason I couldn’t dial it in was because the crossover between the sub and thump band was exactly where the majority of the notes were being played on this particular bass part. I feel like sub should have a slightly wider range than it currently does so that doesn’t happen. I’ll definitely read the manual and see if they explain anything I might be missing.
Old 11th September 2020 | Show parent
Gear Head

Quote:
no one noticed rootone was malfunctioning for days?
You definitely wasn't the first, if that's what you're trying to say.
The first notification about something sounding strange came the very day this thread was opened, and a discussion about that was well under way days before you jumped in with your highly intelligent "comment".
So maybe you better have a second look at your microphones.
Old 11th September 2020
Here for the gear

Mistakes happen, no hard feelings here. Thanks for the update Robin, the warbly weirdness seems good now.

Hate to bring more bad news, but there's still some strange things happening.. Spent another hour with this but just don't have the time to keep beta testing! Anyway, here's what I found, hopefully you guys can figure this out..

When I solo the sub or thump bands along with the saturation band there's some very audible flamming going on.

What's strange though is that it's constantly changing. Exporting it seem to be alright, but any internal bouncing produces different results each time (and obviously it's constantly changing while just listening to it). I've attached the basic drum loop with just a lowpass filter so you can hear the bass is clean. The other two files are two separate internal recordings - using Ableton at the moment. Absolutely nothing was changed, just two recordings after each other.

I took screenshots of the beginning of the two waveforms and you can clearly see the flamming is moving.

Soloing the punch band with the saturation band actually seems to phase out the saturation band so I have no idea what's going on there.

Even if all of this is working correctly, the drive still doesn't do what I'd expect - barely does anything. Not expecting a distortion box but would love to hear some actually drive to be able to dirty up the low end a little more when needed.

If I'm just being totally honest, this just doesn't seem quite ready for prime time yet. Maybe this is also the result of the optimizations, I don't know. I think the price is perfectly fair if it matched the quality of the other products. Nothing wrong with charging a premium for a premium product, but this just isn't there yet.

Again, no hard feelings from me at least, but I've actually spent a few hours trying to get this to work and there's still issues that make it unusable. Hopefully you'll reset the demos so we can try this again in future.
Attached Thumbnails
Leapwing releases RootOne, a unique multi-band subharmonics generator and shaper-screen-shot-2020-09-11-9.27.55-am.jpg   Leapwing releases RootOne, a unique multi-band subharmonics generator and shaper-screen-shot-2020-09-11-9.28.05-am.jpg  
Attached Files

Rootone test - Loop Flamming 1.mp3 (1.10 MB, 3030 views)

Rootone test - Loop Flamming 2.mp3 (1.10 MB, 2976 views)

Rootone test - Loop Low Pass.mp3 (1.10 MB, 2989 views)

Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Williams View Post
Mistakes happen, no hard feelings here. Thanks for the update Robin, the warbly weirdness seems good now.

Hate to bring more bad news, but there's still some strange things happening.. Spent another hour with this but just don't have the time to keep beta testing! Anyway, here's what I found, hopefully you guys can figure this out..

When I solo the sub or thump bands along with the saturation band there's some very audible flamming going on.

What's strange though is that it's constantly changing. Exporting it seem to be alright, but any internal bouncing produces different results each time (and obviously it's constantly changing while just listening to it). I've attached the basic drum loop with just a lowpass filter so you can hear the bass is clean. The other two files are two separate internal recordings - using Ableton at the moment. Absolutely nothing was changed, just two recordings after each other.

I took screenshots of the beginning of the two waveforms and you can clearly see the flamming is moving.

Soloing the punch band with the saturation band actually seems to phase out the saturation band so I have no idea what's going on there.

Even if all of this is working correctly, the drive still doesn't do what I'd expect - barely does anything. Not expecting a distortion box but would love to hear some actually drive to be able to dirty up the low end a little more when needed.

If I'm just being totally honest, this just doesn't seem quite ready for prime time yet. Maybe this is also the result of the optimizations, I don't know. I think the price is perfectly fair if it matched the quality of the other products. Nothing wrong with charging a premium for a premium product, but this just isn't there yet.

Again, no hard feelings from me at least, but I've actually spent a few hours trying to get this to work and there's still issues that make it unusable. Hopefully you'll reset the demos so we can try this again in future.
Thanks for your input, since I don't have your email, I can't create a support ticket for you. Would you mind sending a quick email to [email protected] so we can help you there. I would need more info like what parameters you used, how did you do the internal bounce, .. (to a new clip, ...). But this we should discuss via a support ticket. Thanks a lot.
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobinReumers View Post
Thanks for your input, since I don't have your email, I can't create a support ticket for you. Would you mind sending a quick email to [email protected] so we can help you there. I would need more info like what parameters you used, how did you do the internal bounce, .. (to a new clip, ...). But this we should discuss via a support ticket. Thanks a lot.
Thanks Robin, dropped you a mail.

Btw, there's no issue with Ableton's internal recording. I can HEAR the flamming happening, it's just recording what I'm hearing. I'm not sure why it's different when exported.
Here for the gear

Quote:
Thanks Robin, dropped you a mail.

Btw, there's no issue with Ableton's internal recording. I can HEAR the flamming happening, it's just recording what I'm hearing. I'm not sure why it's different when exported.
Thank you, we're currently looking into it. I just wanted to point out that I get your comment, and we'll definitely try to recreate it. But besides the obvious bug that we fixed in 1.2, we haven't had any other bug report for RootOne. So I do think we released a stable version, which of course is not to say there can't be anything popping up, but so far we've been quite happy with the stability overall.
Old 12th September 2020
Lives for gear

Keep us posted, Rob.

Would prefer conversation to be visible to track the outcome of this observation.
Old 15th September 2020 | Show parent
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwuw View Post
You definitely wasn't the first, if that's what you're trying to say.
The first notification about something sounding strange came the very day this thread was opened, and a discussion about that was well under way days before you jumped in with your highly intelligent "comment".
So maybe you better have a second look at your microphones.

bro, chill
Here for the gear

liking this on drums
though i echo the idea of negative decay
or is it an extension of 'dynamics', to become more expander-gate..positive hysteresis
on real bass it's not working out, it's having some trouble tracking pitch, occasionally falls off for no apparent reason. enough that it's not usable in this project
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by galaydees View Post
Keep us posted, Rob.

Would prefer conversation to be visible to track the outcome of this observation.
Chatted to Robin on support. Basically, he explained the technical reason behind the flamming and said that everything is working as expected. I'm not sure why I don't have this problem with any other sub generators / enhancers though.

Anyway, I really don't like to criticize other people's work or products so I won't say much else here. The only reason I brought it up was because I thought it was a bug that could be worked out.

Bottom line is, to me this sounds a bit strange in certain cases. I'm not sure why you would want that constantly shifting low end but maybe there's situations it works. I would at least want the option to turn that off but maybe that's not possible because of the unique design and approach.

Using other sub gens, like LoAir, just sound clearer and tighter so I think I'll be sticking with those for now.
Old 19th September 2020 | Show parent
Lives for gear

Quote:
I'm not sure why I don't have this problem with any other sub generators / enhancers though.
It's just poor coding..... my Ensoniq PARIS DAW had this type sub generator efx 20 years ago without artifacts, lol.
Old 19th September 2020 | Show parent
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Will The Weirdo View Post
It's just poor coding..... my Ensoniq PARIS DAW had this type sub generator efx 20 years ago without artifacts, lol.
Have you considered changing your GS name to Will the Software Development Consultant/Expert?
Old 20th September 2020 | Show parent
Here for the gear

I think this a truly great product, just bought it as I received a project with a very strict deadline and this saves so much time on the low end. Yes I also feel that this is acting in a sligthly unpredictable manner at times, but I still want to use this and I’m sure this is getting better with updates.
Old 22nd September 2020 | Show parent
Lives for gear

Been meaning to try this one out...
is there a corrected version out yet?
Old 22nd September 2020
Gear Nut

Does Leapwing offer refunds? I need one low end plugin that will finally work. Haven’t tried Bassmint yet. But tbh I feel buyer’s remorse.
I bought Root One on the strength of other Leapwing plugins which I like and trust to get the job done, but this one hasn’t found its way into my mixes yet.
Old 23rd September 2020 | Show parent
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Good Times View Post
Does Leapwing offer refunds? I need one low end plugin that will finally work. Haven’t tried Bassmint yet. But tbh I feel buyer’s remorse.
I bought Root One on the strength of other Leapwing plugins which I like and trust to get the job done, but this one hasn’t found its way into my mixes yet.
I don't think it's amazing by no means but u never know when u might need it. I tried it and didn't like it it messed up my sub 808 but I think I'll give them time to update it and improve it before I write it off
Old 23rd September 2020
Lives for gear

I fully utilized my demo period. I definitely will pass on this one. This didn't do it for me.
Old 23rd September 2020
Lives for gear

Glorious when it works...Just not a low end magic bullet. Sometimes it works - sometimes it gets its ass handed back to it. 199 proving to be a bridge too far at the moment. Biggest gripe is that it feels underdeveloped for a rev 1. Simplicity and ease of use is one thing. But this is missing the ergonomics that make DynOne so essential. Will wait a few development cycles before jumping in to see how serious they are about folding in some of the user feedback.
Old 23rd September 2020
Gear Head

Although v1.2 was quite an improvement, I still have very mixed feelings about RootOne - and in the light of my praise for the other three Leapwing plugins and also the price, this still is too little.
After quite some testing in the last two weeks with it and also with LoAir, bx_subsynth, Subbass Doctor 808 and the new Unfiltered Audio Bass Mint, for me RootOne is by far the best when working with kicks, lo/mid range percussion and drum loops, or on the drum bus or the master bus AND if your goal is not alter alter / change the sound quite much but "just" to really improve the sound / the mix you have. But in spite of this pole position, at the moment I would hesitate to really use it or or least would be not so happy about it, because for me there is no discussion that RootOne must have the possibilty to shorten the lenght of each sub band to your own taste. If that possibilty would be implemented it sure would be on (nearly) every of my mixes.

In contrast when working with bass synth for me and for now RootOne is absolutely not useful. Again and again I put it on a great variety of bass synths and different kind of bass lines and tweaked & tweaked (and yes of course: tweaked also the crossover frequencies), but it always failed to deliver something useful. Either the subs are a bit behind or still not quite pitch correct, or sounded too weak, or were not capable of grasping the given bass synth / bass line at all, and no matter how much I tweaked the crossover frequencies.
To be fair: after all the testing with all said plugins, I came to the (not surprising) conclusion that in case you want to strengthen a bass synth or lo/mid range lead synth in the lower region, it is by far the best to do it yourself by doubling the given line and use a sub sine / sub synth of your choice on an added track. Compared to this (and of course because of the control over the sub's sound, length, eq you have when doing it that way) all said plugins failed to produce an outcome I would use in a mix. Or the other way round: the doubling method always sounded by far the best.

I agree with @ galaydees that RootOne gives the impression of being underdeveloped / being released too early.
But since it definetly can sound glorious and can deliver what no plugin I know of can, I really do have hope that Leapwing will come up with quite some improvements or even a thoroughly revised v2.
Old 23rd September 2020
Gear Addict

lots of talk on here about a $200 plugin that only works some of the time.

pass for now
Old 23rd September 2020 | Show parent
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by galaydees View Post
a bridge too far
Great movie
Old 23rd September 2020
Gear Nut

Great customer service. Leapwing has a 14 day return policy. Asked for a refund and immediately got it. I’ll keep my eyes open how Root One will be developed in the future and might buy again later.
📝 Reply