The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
AI MASTER - Fully Automatic Mastering Plugin
Old 26th August 2020
Gear Nut

AI MASTER - Fully Automatic Mastering Plugin

https://www.exonicuk.com/product-page/ai-master

Artificial Intelligence Assisted Processing

AI Master automatically analyses your music and applies the optimal settings to achieve a great sounding fully mastered track.

AI Master will enhance and optimise the dynamic range, spectral balance, stereo field and overall level to conform to established standards, making your music ready to distribute across multiple platforms, and played on any audio system.

No user input required other than switching from 'ANALYSE' to 'MASTER' mode when the track has finished playing.

Available as 64bit VST2 and VST3 plugins for Windows, and as an AU plugin for Mac.

Free trial version available.
Old 26th August 2020
Lives for gear

Sold! I'm running all my tracks through Hornet 31, then Gulfoss, then this for the ultimate 4D hi-definition experience imaginable.
Old 26th August 2020 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by traumerei1838 View Post
Sold! I'm running all my tracks through Hornet 31, then Gulfoss, then this for the ultimate 4D hi-definition experience imaginable.
Wait you bought without trialing? How can you be so confident it'll do what YOU want out of your song. Surely its just applying a few guides but the track isn't cookie cutter.

Im not saying this isnt a magic bullet, gotta give it a demo to see if there is a fuss to be had.
Old 26th August 2020
Lives for gear

@ Guy :
Not sure how I’d originally heard about Exonic but out of curiosity, I Demoed this tool. Shot it out (using HOFA BlindTest) against Ozone’s Master Asst and, well, it’s now sitting on my 2Buss for Daily Ref Bounces. The Offline Bounce Analysis feature is awesome.
If there’s one thing I’d love, it would be to lower the Peak Output, even ones that are Preset as the current one is (-.02db) such as, -.05, -.10, -.15, & -.20 (which is where I generally aim for safety.

atb,
kjb
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Insanelysane View Post
Wait you bought without trialing? How can you be so confident it'll do what YOU want out of your song. Surely its just applying a few guides but the track isn't cookie cutter.

Im not saying this isnt a magic bullet, gotta give it a demo to see if there is a fuss to be had.
I think he was being sarcastic ;-)
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by acmusic View Post
@ Guy :
Not sure how I’d originally heard about Exonic but out of curiosity, I Demoed this tool. Shot it out (using HOFA BlindTest) against Ozone’s Master Asst and, well, it’s now sitting on my 2Buss for Daily Ref Bounces. The Offline Bounce Analysis feature is awesome.
If there’s one thing I’d love, it would be to lower the Peak Output, even ones that are Preset as the current one is (-.02db) such as, -.05, -.10, -.15, & -.20 (which is where I generally aim for safety.

atb,
kjb
Thanks acmusic!

I'll add this feature request to my to-do list for future updates.
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guy Rotem View Post
Thanks acmusic!

Does this require internet connection when using or once purchased and registered can it be used off-line?

Cheers.

Edit: Just seen answer on website - can be used off-line for those who are also wondering.

Developer worked at Waves Audio for 6 years according to website.

I'll give the demo a go and compare it to Ozone 9 Advanced.
Old 27th August 2020 | Show parent
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neptune45 View Post
Does this require internet connection when using or once purchased and registered can it be used off-line?

Cheers.
AI MASTER does not require an active internet connection, both analysis and processing are performed locally.
Lives for gear

Quote:
Thanks acmusic!

Fantastic, Guy. Thank you!
Old 27th August 2020
Gear Head

Would be nice to have an option to use this without the limiter at the end.
Old 27th August 2020
Lives for gear

What's the demo limitation?
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dj Walker View Post
Would be nice to have an option to use this without the limiter at the end.
Added to feature request list.
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by trevon View Post
What's the demo limitation?
Trial version features full functionality but introduces intermittent noise/mutes.
Old 27th August 2020
I would be interested in finding out who this product is aimed at. Let's take it as a given that this new algorithm is the best ever for what it does. When it spits out the result, I would like the master to be slightly brighter, narrower and more dynamic. I'd also like it to sound more like my favourite mix of the day by someone like Serban Ghenea or Josh Gudwin. What then?

My ideal version of this plug-in would feature some kind of broad-stroke scaling at the very least, plus a reference-learning tool like in the Mastering The Mix plug-ins or IK Multimedia's Master Match. And it should learn my taste after, say, doing 10 masters with it. Not too much to ask, is it?
Old 27th August 2020
Lives for gear

That video was creepy as hell! take me off the ride please. AI is killing us with us thinking it helps us.
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncovered Pitch View Post
I would be interested in finding out who this product is aimed at. Let's take it as a given that this new algorithm is the best ever for what it does. When it spits out the result, I would like the master to be slightly brighter, narrower and more dynamic. I'd also like it to sound more like my favourite mix of the day by someone like Serban Ghenea or Josh Gudwin. What then?

My ideal version of this plug-in would feature some kind of broad-stroke scaling at the very least, plus a reference-learning tool like in the Mastering The Mix plug-ins or IK Multimedia's Master Match. And it should learn my taste after, say, doing 10 masters with it. Not too much to ask, is it?
Good question that I'm happy to answer.

AI MASTER is aimed at people who want their music to sound the best it can with a single click of a virtual button.

Sometimes musicians just want to make music, I'm all for that and hope to help them avoid at least one highly technical task that may be beyond their reach, either technically, financially or simply due to time constraints.

Finish a track -> Play it through AI MASTER -> Click a single button -> Done

Now your track is fully mastered (including both general "housekeeping" and corrective treatment if needed) and ready to be distributed.

Hope that helps.
Quote:
Good question that I'm happy to answer.

AI MASTER is aimed at people who want their music to sound the best it can with a single click of a virtual button.

Sometimes musicians just want to make music, I'm all for that and hope to help them avoid at least one highly technical task that may be beyond their reach, either technically, financially or simply due to time constraints.

Finish a track -> Play it through AI MASTER -> Click a single button -> Done

Now your track is fully mastered (including both general "housekeeping" and corrective treatment if needed) and ready to be distributed.

Hope that helps.
Great answer thanks. My younger musician self would have loved this workflow. Now I prefer to tweak.

I'm sure someone will do a variant along the lines I proposed in the not too distant future for us control freaks.
Old 27th August 2020
Gear Nut

Downloaded the demo. Played with it for a couple hours. It does what it says it does very well. Bought it. I tried it on some recent mixes and then on some old mixes from my past. It performed equally well on both. My most recent mixes sounded great running through it. These mixes used outboard comps being summed by the neve rnp 5059. After capturing the summed mix my usual pseudo mastering chain is acoustica taupe - waves puig comp - then the adaptive limiter in logic. The AI plugin sounded better than this chain of plugins all by itself. The loudness was optimized without sounding pushed, just big and clear. I did notice that it reacts differently to different levels of the in coming mix. I just played with the level and the analysis part to find a sweet spot. The plugin made my older mixes more like my recent mixes. It really did some magic on them. It instantly made them more listenable without feeling like they were recorded with lesser gear that has long ago been upgraded to better. So I’m pretty happy with it and can’t wait to use it more. I also would like a version with a little more control of the various parameters. I’ve never really used many analysis software plugins. It would be awesome if it analyzed reference mixes and tried to my mixes mimic them. I think it would be a really useful feature for understanding the mastering needs of different styles like hip hop vs metal vs acoustic.
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyplex View Post
Downloaded the demo. Played with it for a couple hours. It does what it says it does very well. Bought it. I tried it on some recent mixes and then on some old mixes from my past. It performed equally well on both. My most recent mixes sounded great running through it. These mixes used outboard comps being summed by the neve rnp 5059. After capturing the summed mix my usual pseudo mastering chain is acoustica taupe - waves puig comp - then the adaptive limiter in logic. The AI plugin sounded better than this chain of plugins all by itself. The loudness was optimized without sounding pushed, just big and clear. I did notice that it reacts differently to different levels of the in coming mix. I just played with the level and the analysis part to find a sweet spot. The plugin made my older mixes more like my recent mixes. It really did some magic on them. It instantly made them more listenable without feeling like they were recorded with lesser gear that has long ago been upgraded to better. So I’m pretty happy with it and can’t wait to use it more. I also would like a version with a little more control of the various parameters. I’ve never really used many analysis software plugins. It would be awesome if it analyzed reference mixes and tried to my mixes mimic them. I think it would be a really useful feature for understanding the mastering needs of different styles like hip hop vs metal vs acoustic.
Thanks kennyplex, I really appreciate the feedback and very happy you're enjoying AI MASTER!
Old 27th August 2020
Gear Nut
Demoed it for 15 minutes. It shocked me enough that I brought it immediately after. Lovely plug-in. Reminds me of my hardware chain.
Old 27th August 2020
Lives for gear

Why no AAX?

Thanks
Lives for gear

Quote:
Thanks kennyplex, I really appreciate the feedback and very happy you're enjoying AI MASTER!
Hi, This is being blocked by Norton Internet Security.
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sance21 View Post
Demoed it for 15 minutes. It shocked me enough that I brought it immediately after. Lovely plug-in. Reminds me of my hardware chain.
Thanks Sance21!
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by basic View Post
Why no AAX?

Thanks
Sorry about that, maybe sometime in the future.
Old 27th August 2020
Lives for gear

Cheers.
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neptune45 View Post
Hi, This is being blocked by Norton Internet Security.
You can feel 100% confident to manually allow Norton to install it.
Norton can get overzealous with executables sometimes

Just to put your mind at ease, the otherwise identical Mac AU version has been fully signed and notarized by Apple (who are notoriously strict about security).

Please don't hesitate to contact me directly if you need instructions for unblocking it.
Old 27th August 2020
Gear Maniac

Another user here on ProTools Ultimate on Windows 10 asking why there is no AAX?!
Old 27th August 2020
Lives for gear

I tried out the demo on a Track that I Mastered.

It didn't really alter the overall response, but did add some sub-harmonic boost. Really messed up a MONO listen.

Additionally, it did go very heavy on the 'stereo-izing' of the track. Way to much for my liking.

The lack of any User control is ... not useful for for me.

[also don't care for the GUI] just my opinion.
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrick81 View Post
That video was creepy as hell! take me off the ride please. AI is killing us with us thinking it helps us.
As a person pursuing a deeper understanding of the complex field of AI who has invested a considerable amount of time going over Lex Fridman's seminars; a great source on the topic and a professor at MIT; I'm intrigued by this.

For the people afraid of these developments due to the global tensions concerning this particular field one can be certain that regardless of what one thinks about what seems to be the exponential growth of technology that this time and place is just the beginning state (thinking of entropy in physics and how things get more chaotic as time goes by with regards to this).

The reviews seem interesting to me because there's no negative comments; it would be great to have some top-level mastering engineers presenting their opinions on this product.

I think I'm going to have to demo this.

Old 27th August 2020
Lives for gear

Pro mastering engineer here.

Just tried it out on a top tier rock track. Its pretty much a perfect mix.
In practice all it needed was some very subtle work.

As expected it cant compete with a high end analog setup.

AI master had no weight or punch.
Center image was weakened by unnecessary Mid Side boost burying the vocal details.
Mono check revealed some phase issues causing smearing compared to the mix and the hardware master.

All in all its not a bad effort I suppose, but all these programs end up reminding me of the radio processing units that have been used for years.
They can make it louder and some can level it into a sort of average ballpark.
But none of them fix issues or make the kind of deliberate changes that compliment aspects of the recording the way a client would want.
📝 Reply