RME introduces the HDSPe AIO Pro PCI Express interface card - Page 3 - Gearslutz
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
RME introduces the HDSPe AIO Pro PCI Express interface card
Old 17th September 2020
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin Walsh View Post
I wish they'd do a TB3 Pcie. I know they won't, but man, I would happily pay a premium price for an RME TB3 interface just to run their drivers and TotalMix..
A TB3 PCIe soundcard doesn´t make much sense but if you want to use TB3, get yourself a Sonnet or Akitio, put in an RME AES PCIe and you have the fastest solution possible right now
Old 17th September 2020
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by thehightenor View Post
In effect, yes!

Sounds fresh! I´ll give it a try next time
Old 17th September 2020
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by B.Collins View Post
A TB3 PCIe soundcard doesn´t make much sense but if you want to use TB3, get yourself a Sonnet or Akitio, put in an RME AES PCIe and you have the fastest solution possible right now
Thanks for the tip!

Not sure how I'd use that with two Lynx TB3 devices though?

I miss my RME RayDat!
Old 17th September 2020
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Thanks for the tip!

Not sure how I'd use that with two Lynx TB3 devices though?

This will not work, of course.

TB3 is not an audio format, therefore it wouldn´t make a difference if you´d use an RME TB3 card (if there was one).

To get the advantages of RME´s drivers with a Raydat, AIO or even better AES PCIe, you´d have to exchange the TB3s for Adat or AES modules in your Lynxes.
Old 17th September 2020
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by B.Collins View Post
This will not work, of course.

TB3 is not an audio format, therefore it wouldn´t make a difference if you´d use an RME TB3 card (if there was one).

To get the advantages of RME´s drivers with a Raydat, AIO or even better AES PCIe, you´d have to exchange the TB3s for Adat or AES modules in your Lynxes.
Sorry to the other guys for derailing!

I don't have a problem at all with speed. I'm getting great performance with the Lynx drivers.

What I miss is the RME ecosystem, how bulletproof their drivers are, TotalMix, etc, etc. And if they built a TB3 card (which I know they won't) I'd have the best of both worlds.

Thanks B.Collins! I'll keep wishing
Old 17th September 2020
Lives for gear
Quote:
I wish they'd do a TB3 Pcie. I know they won't, but man, I would happily pay a premium price for an RME TB3 interface just to run their drivers and TotalMix..
Launching a TB3 now would be a bit odd. TB4 is a better choice, even if think TB2 would be good enough for audio. If RME future is USB, my future is without RME.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by bace View Post
Launching a TB3 now would be a bit odd. TB4 is a better choice, even if think TB2 would be good enough for audio. If RME future is USB, my future is without RME.

guys, the (technical) future is bright for all of us music makers! No matter if it‘s TB1-5 or USB 3.xxx ... they all have enough bandwidth and „speed“ for several 100 channels and (hopefully from now on without ever changing share the same USB-C type connectors. that’s IMHO the single best development in 2019/20
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by mucmusic View Post
guys, the (technical) future is bright for all of us music makers! No matter if it‘s TB1-5 or USB 3.xxx ... they all have enough bandwidth and „speed“ for several 100 channels and (hopefully from now on without ever changing share the same USB-C type connectors. that’s IMHO the single best development in 2019/20
It's not about bandwidth, it is about reliability, efficiency and latency.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by occultron View Post
Thunderbolt 3 version of what? It's a PCIe card?

Also, as has been repeated ad nauseam, this amount of channels is nowhere near saturating the bandwidth of even USB 2.0, what exactly do you need TB3 for?
lower latency, connectivity with newer computers, power over the TB3 cable

however, yes lol this is a PCIe card. I guess he wants to have it hanging out of the PC on a cable haha.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by bace View Post
It's not about bandwidth, it is about reliability, efficiency and latency.
is this meant to support my comment 🤔🤔🤔? or not? in this thread we‘re talking about an pcie interface from RME ... well known for reliability, efficiency and ultra low latency

I don‘t get the comments about TB3 and USB too ... it‘s internal pcie, so don‘t try to screw it into your notebook )
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by mucmusic View Post
is this meant to support my comment 🤔🤔🤔? or not? in this thread we‘re talking about an pcie interface from RME ... well known for reliability, efficiency and ultra low latency

I don‘t get the comments about TB3 and USB too ... it‘s internal pcie, so don‘t try to screw it into your notebook )
With thunderbolt you can connect it to a laptop.
https://www.akitio.com/expansion/thunder3-pcie-box

And the comment was about USB, or rather why not USB.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Addict

Remember back in the day when Laptops had PCI slots. PCIe is the made reason I'm still using a PC, long may it last!
Old 4 weeks ago
I have a UFX+ and it seems to work well but only for a few hours at a time then horrid static burst... tried on multiple computers and os's and built latest mac from scratch.. and still gives me the static burst even on catalina! Thought this was fixed in mojave.. but now they are making me send it out to service.. well see if they do anything.. its been this way from the first few months i had it. always thought it was OS related cause i was stuck on high sierra due to nvdia graphics drivers that i NEEDED till now. .. but DAMNIT it happened on a new laptop clean catalina install... GRRRRRR

IF they KNOW what is causing it. they are not admitting it...
Just search around. it can be all everyones imagination.. sounds a bit like a good class action law suit in the making.. if all the posts on the forums in various places are anything to go by..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neptune45 View Post
Exactly - I went for the FF UFX II which is USB 2 and it works with superb low latency and is ultra stable.

Only if you want to start upping the channel count to crazy amounts via MADI would you need the UFX+ which has 94 I/Os and so can use both USB 3 or TB3.

30 I/Os is enough for what I need so technically absolutely no reason/need to go above the USB 2. It's actually quite funny when you see a low I/O count interface using TB3. As you rightly said companies just do it as it is what (unfortunately) most ill-informed potential customers seem to look for as they have heard about it but don't fully understand it.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Head

happy UFX+ user here, works both on win and mac like a charme ... not a single hickup so far

btw this thread is about the new AIO pro card
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Addict

anyone know when the new AIO card will be available?
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Head
Quote:
Originally Posted by ataylor View Post
I have a UFX+ and it seems to work well but only for a few hours at a time then horrid static burst... tried on multiple computers and os's and built latest mac from scratch.. and still gives me the static burst even on catalina! Thought this was fixed in mojave.. but now they are making me send it out to service.. well see if they do anything.. its been this way from the first few months i had it. always thought it was OS related cause i was stuck on high sierra due to nvdia graphics drivers that i NEEDED till now. .. but DAMNIT it happened on a new laptop clean catalina install... GRRRRRR

Just search around. it can be all everyones imagination.. sounds a bit like a good class action law suit in the making.. if all the posts on the forums in various places are anything to go by..
Sounds like a defective unit, just send it in for service like they're suggesting. It's the nature of manufacturing that a small percentage of units will fail, and a small percentage of the failures will pass the quality control and make it to market. You probably have such a unit, and given your description of it only failing after hours of use, it's not hard to see why it passes quality control.

As long as they take care of you and either repair it or send a replacement, there isn't any problem, let alone the need for a class action.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear
Quote:

A few hours smells like a heat problem.
Old 4 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Quote:

good lord I thought I was the only guy to ever have this problem with RME. I have a Fireface UC that used to do this static burst thing, it was very shocking... listening on headphones to a quiet mix, then suddenly max volume static.

I never figured out what caused it. It'd only happen in Cubase and never with any other program. The problem went away on its own after a while - never sent the UC away or anything. I did re-organize my rack to give 2U of cooling space above the UC because it did get very hot but I also built a new computer at the same time so I was never sure which part of the equation fixed it.
Old 4 weeks ago
this is the wrong thread for this actually but it's on a table by itself plenty of airflow. Though if i were to do a mac pro id really consider the new cards instead - anyone know if this can be used in an external chassis? vis TB3?
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

For the noisy stuff, it might be a good idea to flash the firmware and see if helps.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Nut

For people working on a laptop with a TB port, there are TB TO PCIE expansion devices like these ones: https://www.sonnettech.com/product/t...n-systems.html
Old 2 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Anyone Know if this new HDSPe AIO Pro PCI Express "Pro" with updated converters is shipping yet ? The usual suspects (SW,VK,GC) don't seem to have it available yet.. Many Thanks TT
📝 Reply