The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
ML Sound Lab Amped ML5 guitar amp sim...
Old 11th August 2020
Gear Addict

Does it say anywhere how many licenses you get for the plugin? I actually use 3 different machines (laptop, studio mac and studio pc) and depending on which rig I'm on I'll plug in my iLok and I'm all set to go. I know this plugin doens't use iLok, but is C/R, but does it allow for multiple installations per license like IK multimedia allow for example?

p.s. I must say this is the most ANNOYING demo I have ever experienced. Amp sims need to be constantly tweaked and everytime I click on anything (even just changing presets) I get that blasted pop-up to register. Can you PLEASE consider allowing 5min of uninterrupted use when you first open the pluging at least, then go to the pop-up on every click or something? I might give up demoing its so frustrating....
Old 11th August 2020
Quote:
Originally Posted by Idontcare View Post
DISCLAIMER:
Out of curiosity, what kind of guitar were you using with ML5? I first grabbed a Strat, and I can't imagine anyone not feeling entirely impressed by what it offered. A friend said he wasn't so enthusiastic about this plugin after his first try -- he used humbuckers. When I switched to a Les Paul I was also less excited, though it still sounded very good.

I'm starting to wonder if it caters more to single coils. I'm also wondering if it's particularly sensitive to the quality of the input signal. Sims, in general, can underperform when receiving less-than-ideal tones going in (it could be no more complicated than low impedance). Many have discovered -- myself included -- that the chain going into the computer can make, and easily break, any sim plugin. Hardware amps are often less finicky.

At any rate, it might not be the sound that you like from an amp. I hear a lot of versatility in it, so I'm highly surprised that you didn't like, at least, the cleans. They're excellent to my ears.
Old 18th September 2020
After over a month of use, this is still my go-to for warm clean tones. I still feel that it shines with single coils, but I like what I've heard with humbuckers as well. Those dynamics... nobody else has them. I end up compressing, as I do with real amps, but it's great having that much headroom. I've not used the high gain channels much. Ironic, I suppose, since that's what it's known for.
Old 18th September 2020
Gear Nut

I fcking hate this tied to hardware license model...i would prefer Ilok or something else...
Now it works perfectly ...but AFAIK if you change something in your computer (or your entire computer years from now)
it wont work...will he be in business 3-5-10 years from now for me to be able to get a "new" license?

I really want to buy the mikko IR plugin but i cant buy a plugin that inevitably has an expiration date
Old 18th September 2020
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by elambo View Post
After over a month of use, this is still my go-to for warm clean tones. I still feel that it shines with single coils, but I like what I've heard with humbuckers as well. Those dynamics... nobody else has them. I end up compressing, as I do with real amps, but it's great having that much headroom. I've not used the high gain channels much. Ironic, I suppose, since that's what it's known for.
I'm with you! This is still my go to plugin for basically all guitar tones - clean, mid gain, and high gain. I get immense joy out of it every time I use it - just like I did when I used to plug into my Boogie rig.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The-Zeronaut View Post
I fcking hate this tied to hardware license model...i would prefer Ilok or something else...
Now it works perfectly ...but AFAIK if you change something in your computer (or your entire computer years from now)
it wont work...will he be in business 3-5-10 years from now for me to be able to get a "new" license?

I really want to buy the mikko IR plugin but i cant buy a plugin that inevitably has an expiration date
I asked Mikko about this and he said because he owns all the licensing, if there's ever a need for a change, he's easily able to switch platforms (e.g., to iLok); but presently most people prefer the non-hardware-based licensing solutions. To kick in my own $.02, I've known Mikko for several years and he's always gone above and beyond when it comes to customer service and would never leave people high and dry.
Old 19th September 2020
The only way to please the whole class is to offer disk *and* iLok authorizations. Some companies do that. Otherwise, there will always be people unhappy about the method of protection. Personally, disk doesn't bother me, though I would prefer iLok
📝 Reply