Empirical Labs announces availability of its BIG FrEQ plug-in - Page 37 - Gearslutz
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Empirical Labs announces availability of its BIG FrEQ plug-in
Old 19th September 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaman View Post
to anyone claiming all digital eqs sound the some
just try the following:

put a 7db boost at 100 hz with a Q of 2
and a 7db boost at 15 khz with a q of 2
on an untreated drum recording
and then try different EQs
like fabfilter q3, big frequ, etc.

the differences should be obvious...

From my own tests big frequ
easily beats Sonnox Oxford EQ,
is on par with mdw 5 and q3 -
though Q3 sounds a bit more gentle / softer
and has more options.

For 100 bucks there´s nothing
one can do wrong here.

To me the weiss EQ still is the best of the best
but until I have an über ARM mac I will be happy
to do most mixing with big frequ alone.
Yup. I don't even reach for another EQ now - it's always Big Freq first now.
Old 19th September 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaggy2039 View Post
Yup. I don't even reach for another EQ now - it's always Big Freq first now.
Same here, mainly for single tracks. I prefer Maat Blue for buss because of LR & MS. The FrEQ replaced the Sonnox EQ for individual tracks in my case.

Also during the last week im prefering Bettermaker EQ232d over UAD Pultec as im mixing some dance music and urban .. the BM is tighter in the low end with great transient response.
Old 19th September 2020
The Distressor's "daddy"

Weekend & Another Rev Coming

Music Maniacs!

Well another weekend is here. Lawdy that week went fast for me. It was a good week though.

I am testing a new MAC build currently, BTW. Again, I may reach out to a few of you to help test, especially if you have mentioned a related problem. There will be a New Release early next week. We have been averaging about 1 revision a week, as we cram for a solid, full Rev 1 release.

Just read through the last couple pages and can address some quick questions and issues.

Shaman - Thank you for your glowing comments, your tests and observations. We plan on improving everything, too. Ha

AAX-DSP - We are definitely considering this, but it wouldn't be available until after Rev 1. But too much interest to ignore.

Mid/Side Processing - We also have plans for this and it is relatively simple, compared to some other stuff.

Auto On - We will give this option shortly, but it could be right after Rev 1.

Click in Bypass - We have made this a little better, but still have some tweaking to do. If you bypass the plug in a mix, doing it in a silent spot is safe. Some Daws have no click, but there are things we can do to improve it across the board.

Pro Tools Quit Time - Bgrotto, we are aware of this and are ourselves quite aggravated by it. Looking for the mechanism currently.

The Sale will end with the Rev 1 release, which has not been firmly established yet, but is not far off. We will give everyone notice before the release. There will always be sales every few months, but the $99 is the lowest price you may see for a year or more.

Will be posting more this weekend, friends.

Last edited by Dave Derr; 19th September 2020 at 07:10 AM..
Old 19th September 2020
Lives for gear

Thank you @ Dave Derr !

Best news for today!
Old 19th September 2020
Gear Maniac

really enjoying in the Big Freq

feature request!
i assume someone else has already mentioned this, but i'll put it up just in case;

it'd be great to be able to turn on/off oversampling for all Big Freq instances from one single instance (like Kush's Novatron).

if there's already a way to do this, please enlighten me
Old 19th September 2020
Here for the gear

I’ll start with with how amazing this thing sounds. Dave you nailed creating a character EQ that has personality for days and I love it.

What I’m not most in love with is how crashy it’s behaving in Cubase 10.5 (on Windows 10). I have a pretty big orchestral template and it’s the only plugin causing a crash on my otherwise bulletproof stable system.

I’ve tried to use in several projects but once my session starts to get a bit CPU-intense (approaching 70% load in Cubase) Cubase immediately crashes. 5 crashes in several days means unfortunately I cannot use it on time-sensitive mission critical work “yet”.

I did a full sweep of my plugins over an exhaustive 3 hour period to find out that it’s Big Freq that’s responsible. The only fix is to remove the BigFreq.vst file from the VST3 folder, reopen the project, and then remove all instances of BigFreq (which are now just placeholders in Cubase since it’s removed from the VST3 folder). I then have to save the project under a new name. Cubase must then be completely shut down in order to do it’s full memory-release. Then, and ONLY then can I reintroduce BigFreq back into the VST3 folder and reopen the new “safe” version of the project sans all BigFreq instances. I am only THEN able to re-add back in instances of BigFreq. It’s a huge PITA to have to do this repeatedly, and I have annoyingly done so because this thing sounds SO DAMN GOOD and I want to use it on everything!

Longtime lurker, but finally wanted to jump in here. Absolutely loving the fast upfront transients this thing is preserving on huge sounding Hollywood drums! Dave PLEASE fix so it’s running stable on Windows too!

Arousor is my fav compressor btw, it gets used everyday, everywhere.

(edited for spelling cuz me smart and do things good)
Old 19th September 2020
The Distressor's "daddy"

Eek Phasechange. We've fixed a few problems on Cubase, but this one seems to go beyond some of the others. Check your Personal Messages, please.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phasechange View Post
I’ll start with with how amazing this thing sounds. Dave you nailed creating a character EQ that has personality for days and I love it.

What I’m not most in love with is how crashy it’s behaving in Cubase 10.5 (on Windows 10). I have a pretty big orchestral template and it’s the only plugin causing a crash on my otherwise bulletproof stable system.
Arouser is my fav compressor btw, it gets used everyday, everywhere.
Old 19th September 2020
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Derr View Post
Eek Phasechange. We've fixed a few problems on Cubase, but this one seems to go beyond some of the others. Check your Personal Messages, please.
Firstly, Dave I want to acknowledge how awesome it feels to have a dev be so passionate and in touch with their audience. From my small neck of these Canadian woods (even though I work out of Hollywood remotely) I appreciate you!

Thanks so much for the fast response! Maybe it’s the Canadian in me but I’m very grateful. I mean what I say though, this EQ really surprised me more than I expected in the best possible way, dare I say it’s addicting to use! The finisher section pares BEAUTIFULLY with the Arousor and manages to respect source program material so well and yet somehow make it ‘more’.

I’ll try the new version and respond directly through more official channels with feedback. Thanks!

Old 20th September 2020
Quote:
Firstly, Dave I want to acknowledge how awesome it feels to have a dev be so passionate and in touch with their audience.
Seconded, and it's not just the Canadian in ya!
Old 4 weeks ago
The Distressor's "daddy"

Ha, you guys are just trying to get in good with me so we'll put out a plug-in that actually works properly...
Quote:
Firstly, Dave I want to acknowledge how awesome it feels to have a dev be so passionate and in touch with their audience. From my small neck of these Canadian woods (even though I work out of Hollywood remotely) I appreciate you!

Thanks so much for the fast response! Maybe it’s the Canadian in me but I’m very grateful. I mean what I say though, this EQ really surprised me more than I expected in the best possible way, dare I say it’s addicting to use! The finisher section pares BEAUTIFULLY with the Arousor and manages to respect source program material so well and yet somehow make it ‘more’.

I’ll try the new version and respond directly through more official channels with feedback. Thanks!

Last edited by Dave Derr; 4 weeks ago at 08:16 PM..
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Guru

Dave is it possible to adjust the Start frequency of the hi shelf?
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

Reading Daves responses really makes me want to jump on board the EL train. It’s a breath of fresh air to see such positive support for a product.

Does EL support ilok cloud? If so I’m in, but no way am I going with a dongle again.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoundBadge View Post
Dave is it possible to adjust the Start frequency of the hi shelf?
Nope. It’s fixed. Hoping one day that might change but I’m okay with it for now.

I’d like to see something like a “re-order EQ bands” feature one day. Similar to what Eiosis Air EQ does.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Nope. It’s fixed. Hoping one day that might change but I’m okay with it for now.

I’d like to see something like a “re-order EQ bands” feature one day. Similar to what Eiosis Air EQ does.
It has an option to re-order the EQ bands.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercado_Negro View Post
It has an option to re-order the EQ bands.
Really? How did I miss this?!!! I need to look tomorrow at the manual then! Thanks
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Really? How did I miss this?!!! I need to look tomorrow at the manual then! Thanks
I have to correct myself here. It's not an option to re-order bands automatically but a button to copy bands and re-order them one by one.
Old 4 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercado_Negro View Post
I have to correct myself here. It's not an option to re-order bands automatically but a button to copy bands and re-order them one by one.
Which means that for incremental step philosophy it needs a "band holder" where you can "send" a band, which would save one operation from the manual workflow. That is a button without band active that can hold the settings. Should be as easy as it gets.

Now this could evolve in either the full band reshuffle (useful, I agree... removes one bit of thinking -- i find confusing to have bands out of order, so I try to guess what I'll need). Or a "band bank" (we could prepare there some shapes... would it be useful? not sure, not enough settings per band maybe to justify). Or both. But UI considerations would probably have to be made.
Old 4 weeks ago
The Distressor's "daddy"

Since folks nowadays seem to want any band to go from 20-20K, ordering from Low to High can become a problem, which is one of the reasons why, as Mercado aptly described, we provided a Copy function. Usually we start out with Low bands on the left, and highs on the right, so usually when one has to re-order them, its a band or two in the middle that is out of order. It is also a reason why we have the big Billboard text on the bottom, so you or the producer can quickly see where the frequencies are set in the Parametric. Auto re-ordering could be a problem with our handy FOCUS function.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rik0 View Post
Which means that for incremental step philosophy it needs a "band holder" where you can "send" a band, which would save one operation from the manual workflow. That is a button without band active that can hold the settings. Should be as easy as it gets.

Now this could evolve in either the full band reshuffle (useful, I agree... removes one bit of thinking -- i find confusing to have bands out of order, so I try to guess what I'll need). Or a "band bank" (we could prepare there some shapes... would it be useful? not sure, not enough settings per band maybe to justify). Or both. But UI considerations would probably have to be made.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Each band has a specific frequency value - focus mode or not. Why would that mode conflict with something as simple as value ordering?

FWIW you can do this in Equilibrium too by right clicking in the band panel area.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Tummond View Post
Reading Daves responses really makes me want to jump on board the EL train. It’s a breath of fresh air to see such positive support for a product.

Does EL support ilok cloud? If so I’m in, but no way am I going with a dongle again.
Dave is awesome I went through a bad derecho storm and my studio was messed up from it, so Dave sent me license for bigfreq, ilok dongle and a new empirical lands mouse pad. Support this dev. As he put Humanity before business.
Old 4 weeks ago
The Distressor's "daddy"

Haaa Trevon. Those are awful nice things to hear but really undeserved, as you got hit hard, in an already horrific time. Several folks here thought we should make some small gesture to help out as you have been a kind contributor to this thread. To be hit with a rare but powerful weather event few have heard of, while a Pandemic is going on... Come on! Let's hope the bad luck is over and you are now disaster proofed.

NEW REVS - Our guys have turned out a rev or two since 0.9.3, trying to get over a few bugs, as well as working towards more efficiency. Limited testing showed the last one didn't do enough to release it publicly, but we have a new one coming. This one looks very promising, and we may hand it out by the end of the week.

Our Gearslutz friends have been really helpful, sending reports and collaborating behind the scenes. They're a big part of the reason we have turned out a rev once a week. You know who you are, so thank you. Still a bit of work to do though, to get to Rev 1, but we are glad so many have taken advantage of the $99 price. We aim to keep you happy campers.

We could use some more presets if you have any exciting ones. Post and share them here: http://www.empiricallabs.com/submit-presets/

I'll be back with updates, and hopefully a new rev in the next couple days. Trevon, best of luck getting your facilities back together, and I will share your posted thoughts here at ELI, but we were happy to do what little we could.

Cheers All
Quote:
Originally Posted by trevon View Post
Dave is awesome I went through a bad derecho storm and my studio was messed up from it, so Dave sent me license for bigfreq, ilok dongle and a new empirical lands mouse pad. Support this dev. As he put Humanity before business.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

to put some salt into the thread,
while I really like big frequ
I continously struggle to like arousor.

I tried to like distressors back in the
00s since anyone liked them so I bought
a pair - and sold them after a while.
same with arousor.

I think it is an ugly, agressive colour
mainly aimed at rock / transient smashing
music styles. Am I the only one ?

Cheers

shaman

I know I´ll get some spank for this in an EL thread hehe

Last edited by Shaman; 4 weeks ago at 09:09 PM..
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

So I finally got around to testing this late last night. I took maat blue of and inserted this and it sounded way different not good not bad but it's a different eq so that made me smile because I know it's the opposite of the blue so it's perfect as I don't want to of the same eq. Where it shined at was surgical duties boosting and cutting to make the vocals pop out and sound pristine. It's probably my go to now for surgical vocal duties. It's definitely worth adding to the arsenal. I have yet to try for mastering but I'm sure it will give the orange a run for is money. Once, mid side is implemented this will be a game changer for eqs. I love how it's just doing what is suppose to be doing without imparting itself (i.e mojo, saturation, distortion whatever) unless you use the finisher.

The GUI is great as well reminds me of hardware from the GUI. It imparts a visual that makes you say if a piece of hardware had a digital gui this is what it would look like. It's delicious too look at. Makes me feel like a pro... Wait I am a pro, but I digress this thing is with getting and Dave is awesome and makes the session distressor in which I own two of. Dave's so awesome if I could have a room full of empirical Labs hardware only I'd do that.
Old 4 weeks ago
Here for the gear
Whose leg do I have to hump to get a free plugin around here? (A bit late to the party, I know, but enjoyed the thread nonetheless!) Congrats on the release! I saw an in depth video and was impressed with the sound as well as the capabilities! Lots of good stuff in this plugin!
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valkyries View Post
Whose leg do I have to hump to get a free plugin around here? (A bit late to the party, I know, but enjoyed the thread nonetheless!) Congrats on the release! I saw an in depth video and was impressed with the sound as well as the capabilities! Lots of good stuff in this plugin!
You hump mine good enough you might get my license 😂
Old 4 weeks ago
Here for the gear
Quote:

same with arousor.

Cheers

shaman

I have to disagree with that statement. I've managed to use the UAD Distressor on horns in a soundtrack-esque piece with wonderful results.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:

same with arousor.

Cheers

shaman

Your opinions are just as valid as anybody else's. I happen to hate 1176 compressors. I tried to like them but no matter what they always sound pumpy, clicky and grabby to me.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by trevon View Post
Your opinions are just as valid as anybody else's. I happen to hate 1176 compressors. I tried to like them but no matter what they always sound pumpy, clicky and grabby to me.
that scratching1176 input/output pots
were the initial reason for me buying distressors
since these don´t have this issue.
From a technical standpoint distressors are
a really good design.

yes I also dislike 1176s as well as 2As / 3 As
but then the only designs I like are gml 8900,
weiss DSC-1, ssl j
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Off topic but;

I think arousor and distressor do have an "in your face" aggressive sound. I personally think this works most of the time. Most vocals want to be in your face.
Either rock, pop or whatever style.
I would not describe it as pumpy or clicky.
But anyway, it's a sound, so it's very possible to not like it

Huub
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

I love both 1176s and Distressors. Both to my taste.
📝 Reply