Gearslutz

Gearslutz (https://www.gearslutz.com/board/)
-   Product Alerts older than 2 months (https://www.gearslutz.com/board/product-alerts-older-than-2-months/)
-   -   Announcing Boost by UrsaDSP (https://www.gearslutz.com/board/product-alerts-older-than-2-months/1320075-announcing-boost-ursadsp.html)

UrsaDSP 29th September 2020 08:07 AM

New point release available https://deviousmachines.com/boost-downloads/

- Stop the buttons stealing enter keypresses (some users were using enter to start / stop transport and this was understandably annoying)
- resizing state now preserved between sessions.
- Expander menu option
- fixed issue with very quiet noise being cut (e.g. dither noise)
- hidden latency compensated Wet / Dry (UI coming soon)

Full change notes: https://ursadsp.com/boost-faq/

This addresses a couple of requests here and also fixes a small issue with Boost gating very quiet sounds.
I'm aware of a possible issue for Mac Ableton users upgrading from pre 1.1.32 if they used the AU version of the plugin. If you use Ableton Live with AU versions of the plugin, experience any issues loading old projects and want to try a fix, please send me a DM or contact me via Devious Machines support. Thanks!

[email protected]

Neptune45 29th September 2020 11:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by UrsaDSP (Post 15005038)

Thanks. kfhkh

Rocket88 1st October 2020 06:56 PM

Bought it. Feels like a must have to me.

My one complaint regards the trial. I’m not a fan of silence or noise bursts in general but these ones are LOUD. I about jumped out of my chair a couple of times. You really don’t need those tactics to sell this thing.

On the other hand I want to say thank you for keeping the price reasonable. I have limited resources and this one was an instant buy in spite of that. I am going to use it quite a lot. Congratulations on a terrific release (even though I’m a bit late to the party)!

robinschroder 2nd October 2020 01:01 PM

I'd like to say a massive thank you for the wet / dry control - Boost really is a fantastic tool, great to be able to use it in parallel so easily now!

GBP 15th November 2020 09:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kisame (Post 14958616)
Will there be a sale at some point? I missed the intro train.

Sale on !

GBP 15th November 2020 09:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by superwack (Post 14991358)
Didn’t sleep on it but kicking myself for missing it as I tried to buy it on the last day (August 30th?) thinking when it said “sale ends” on that day it meant the sale was still on til the end of that day, but alas no happiness boost for me 😵

Guess you’ve bought it but if not it is currently on sale...

UrsaDSP 17th November 2020 10:06 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by GBP (Post 15109022)
Guess you’ve bought it but if not it is currently on sale...

Yes indeed, all individual plugins on www.deviousmachines.com are on offer.

Buy Boost at the sale price and get the update when it's available (see screenshot)

[email protected]

GBP 17th November 2020 10:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by UrsaDSP (Post 15112072)
Yes indeed, all individual plugins on www.deviousmachines.com are on offer.

Buy Boost at the sale price and get the update when it's available (see screenshot)

[email protected]

Ah stereo link !
Yes I was wondering about that dry/mix as in Cubase I can
currently only access it via generic plugin version and in ableton by expanding.
Cool am demoing at the moment :)

nil hartman 17th November 2020 10:44 AM

Looks like a great update, with a focus on workflow and previously hidden features it seems.

V4nger 17th November 2020 01:20 PM

Stereolink! Nice.

What's the ETA on the update?

GBP 17th November 2020 04:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Neptune45 (Post 14976441)
Yeah people slept on such an awesome intro price here. Probably the best value plugin buy I have made this year.

Hey Neptune45, what are your current thoughts on this plugin now the honeymoon is over? kfhkh

nil hartman 17th November 2020 04:54 PM

It's a bloody awesome densifier :)

GBP 17th November 2020 05:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nil hartman (Post 15112752)
It's a bloody awesome densifier :)

Yeah I have just been following the instructions and how to make denser with the focus slider :)

GBP 17th November 2020 05:49 PM

Good to use a scope after this to see what’s its doing. Me likee :cowbell:

UrsaDSP 17th November 2020 08:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by V4nger (Post 15112316)
Stereolink! Nice.

What's the ETA on the update?

It's now mostly working in debug but I've been a bit delayed as I've had to rewrite a fair chunk of the metering code.

I'll put details of a beta version up here before getting the plugin to notify everyone of an update.

The gorey details were that the peak difference meter code used to work by sampling audio in vs audio out and calculating the difference, but for quiet signals and due to a timing issue I wasn't happy with the resolution, and this became obvious when you want to check how it's treating the stereo signals when linking!
The new code now keeps track of all gain added and removed the whole way though the signal chain, so the diff meter is now a precise track of what it is doing rather than a measure of what it did.

Another advantage of this is that it now also shows the gain being aplied 'at rest' e.g. what it's going to do when no signal is coming in.

There's some fine tuning to be done and I'm also not 100% happy with that second curved slider on the left, I think I can make that look better, but it will be at beta fairly soon.

Changes include:
- Ability to enter exact lookahead / attack by double clicking and typing the number in
- Wet dry control
- Stereo link

Dave @ UrsaDSP

soupiraille 17th November 2020 09:27 PM

Awesome!

That second curved slider on the left looks gorgeous to me. The only thing I’d try is splitting the “Stereo link” label over 2 lines. That may give something somewhat better, but definitively not sure.

GBP 19th November 2020 12:52 AM

Looking forward to the update as I am now a paid up member of the density crew rockout

UrsaDSP 19th November 2020 10:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GBP (Post 15116307)
Looking forward to the update as I am now a paid up member of the density crew rockout

Thanks very much for your custom!

The wet / dry control is proving very handy for parallel compression style thickening of sound. I'll post a how-to on that when the Beta is here.

Dave @ UrsaDSP

Neptune45 22nd November 2020 01:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GBP (Post 15112621)
Hey Neptune45, what are your current thoughts on this plugin now the honeymoon is over? kfhkh

I see others have answered your question. But yes I still love what this plugin does.

It is now the 2nd best value plugin after Letimix's GainMatch. But these two are the best Value this year for me for sure.kfhkh

GBP 22nd November 2020 02:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Neptune45 (Post 15123364)
I see others have answered your question. But yes I still love what this plugin does.

It is now the 2nd best value plugin after Letimix's GainMatch. But these two are the best Value this year for me for sure.kfhkh

Gr8 glad to hear from you as I was a little concerned that I hadn’t.....based upon these unprecedented times.
Good to get your continued recommendations and have already purchased......

Neptune45 22nd November 2020 03:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GBP (Post 15123473)
Gr8 glad to hear from you as I was a little concerned that I hadn’t.....based upon these unprecedented times.
Good to get your continued recommendations and have already purchased......

Cheers - All's good this end - just been away from the music computer for a few days. Hope all is well your end. Stay safe. kfhkh

soupiraille 22nd November 2020 03:39 PM

I’ve just done something really stupid, I boosted 200dB into Boost (with the GainMatch plugin :lol:) => no distortion at all : ) Boost just says: « Hey, chill out buddy. Have a seat and let’s have discussion: why are you so loud? I’m obliged to turned you down sorry; but I won’t hurt you no worry. »
:lol: