Announcing Boost by UrsaDSP - Page 4 - Gearslutz
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Announcing Boost by UrsaDSP
Old 30th August 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardtoe View Post
Is there supposed to be noise in the demo? Seems to be a regular white noise that comes in?
Yeah there is noise interval in the demo...
Old 30th August 2020
Quote:
Originally Posted by pekbro View Post
Yeah there is noise interval in the demo...
Hmmm ok, Thanks - weird to get a “14 day demo” with noise bursts - actually really turns me off - hard to concentrate while trying it out in the mix - usually you get a “normal” period of usage for the demo time or the demo is not time limited but has noise - never seem both scenarios at once before....

Devious Machines maybe give us a real demo period like most other developers hey? I think it leads to more sales with people like me - I got interested in Pitch Monster and texture as well, but the noise burst all over my track as I demo are killing the vibe over here......

Imo you want to let someone fall in love with the processor and need to have it, not nag them into just buying a licence to shut the damn noise off

Other then that, this is an interesting plug but not sure I love it over regular compression or my already established techniques - easy way to get quick results though for thickening - will see if I can deal with the noise enough to keep my investigations going
Old 31st August 2020
Company Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrendanMcCusker View Post
really enjoying this plugin! works like magic on a drum bus.

[email protected], any chance of a quick back/forward button to undo/redo a slight change? the A/B capability is quite useful, but it'd be so convenient to be able to alter a slight change on the fly. apologies if this is already a feature that i somehow missed.

thanks!
Hi Brendan,
Thanks for the feedback.
I had assumed that all hosts would provide undo behaviour using the same mechanism as project save and automation, though perhaps Reaper just spoils me?
I'll have a look into it,
Dave
Old 6th September 2020
Company Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by nil hartman View Post
Drums obviously love Boost. We all know it by now hehe
I also find it's absolutely stellar post-EQ to densify (synthetic) basslines, or anything bass-heavy really. I'd love some control over the gate (as it's hidden, I've just toyed with it's threshold so far), and would love to know where it happens in the signal chain.
Marvelous plugin anyway
Re: Where the gate is in the signal chain.

I've added something to the UrsaDSP Boost manual that shows the signal path, the picture for which is attached.

There's not really a separate gate module, instead the hidden gate feature happens in the Peak Re-mapper module and is based on the level data from the Trajectory module.

HTH,
[email protected]
Attached Thumbnails
Announcing Boost by UrsaDSP-signalpath.jpg  
Old 6th September 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by UrsaDSP View Post
Re: Where the gate is in the signal chain.

I've added something to the UrsaDSP Boost manual that shows the signal path, the picture for which is attached.

There's not really a separate gate module, instead the hidden gate feature happens in the Peak Re-mapper module and is based on the level data from the Trajectory module.

HTH,
[email protected]
Thanks for that. I have saved a pic to my UrsaDSP file for reference should I feel I need it.
Old 6th September 2020
Lives for gear

As awesome as Boost is on Drum shells and thickening up drum rooms I absolutely love it on VI bass. I use EZBass which lets you route the sub harmonic generator out to a separate channel. I was using a rather heavy setup to keep the dynamics really squashed and controlled. Now I use Waves Bass Rider, BX SubSynth for distortion (if wanted), and Boost. Done!

I also split off the top end of the bass and process that separately from the lows. Boost again makes it stay put without distortion or feeling disjointed from the rest of the spectrum. Tightest pick attack ever! Punchy, clear and smooooth (without using Drive/Punch on Boost. Just ultra clean compression!). Works the same on clean guitar as well
Old 8th September 2020
Gear Addict

Will there be a sale at some point? I missed the intro train.
Old 8th September 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kisame View Post
Will there be a sale at some point? I missed the intro train.
Probably not as this is what Dave of UrsaDSP stated in his post on this thread earlier (Post #44 ):

"Sale ends 30th August and I'm not sure if we'll have such a broad, low price offer again.

It might break some kind of developer code to discuss this, but market research suggested that I should go with a price significantly over what I went for in the end, mostly as the plugin offers some unique capabilities to mastering engineers.
But as majoraxis noted (thanks for that BTW!), Boost has a wider appeal than just a speciailist mastering tool and I didn't want to restrict it. As a result I started low AND had a decent starting sale to start getting word out there. Perhaps the lower list price made it look cheaper, but I'd rather do it this way than get into the crazy discounting some channels go for.

Dave
"

Quality plugin though and well worth full cost.
Old 8th September 2020
Gear Head
what a great concise and interesting thread. thumbs up!
Old 13th September 2020
Here for the gear

Does somebody know how to contact ursaDSP support?
Thanks
Old 13th September 2020
Company Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinaxa View Post
Does somebody know how to contact ursaDSP support?
Thanks
Hi,
Devious Machines are handling first line support for me, the details are on the same site as the demo download / sales.
https://deviousmachines.com/support/

If you have any questions please feel free to ping me a direct message here.

Dave @ UrsaDSP
Old 13th September 2020
Lives for gear

Using a compressor on Reverb returns is so 2019. Boost locks them into place and using the focus/release adds a layer of movement and depth. Such a versatile tool.
Old 15th September 2020
Gear Addict

Thought I'd share the settings for vocals that I made today.

Feel like I understand the plugin a little bit more.

Working on the vocals I roughly determined that the loudest to quietest parts was roughly 8db. (A badly recorded vocal with no compression or mic control (as per usual )

I set the output to roughly where the vocal sits with the backing -12db in this case.

I've already determined that the maximum amount of gain I need is about 8db.

Now this is key, the input needs to be increased to around 8 db. This is my first time even messing with input so a new discovery, probably all info obtained by RTFM but an 'ah hah' moment. Seems to work in the intended way.

(EDIT: this can be observed by looping around your quiet bits of vocal and increasing Input until you are hitting the target output. In this case it is about 8 db)

I set to a 40ms Lookahead/attack and tune the release to 8th notes, around 150ms.

Boost at 100% pins it to -12, lowering a bit adds in a small amount of dynamics. As I was going for transparency so backed it off a tad.

Pretty happy with this for effortless vocal management, hitting chains at a certain level etc.
Attached Thumbnails
Announcing Boost by UrsaDSP-vocal-steady.jpeg  
Old 15th September 2020
Lives for gear
Genuine question, aren't you hitting the limiter by boosting the input ? It's a peculiar beast, requires a learning curve despite the immediate gratification.
Amazing plugin no matter what.
Old 15th September 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Genuine question, aren't you hitting the limiter by boosting the input ? It's a peculiar beast, requires a learning curve despite the immediate gratification.
I think the signal only hits the limiter once the input goes over 0dB or the output is pushed over 0dB.

EDIT: Processing occurs when the input signal is in the 'green' range of the meter.
Old 15th September 2020
Gear Addict

Quote:

No, I don't think so, I can't seem to find that info in the manual, but even with an 8db boost I'm hitting about -6 so I doubt it. It's a good point though gain staging into Boost is a must. Probably running some kind of Auto LUFS and manually working on peak spikes if they're there.

It's slowly dawning on me how it works but I agree, the interplay between the controls is somewhat challenging to visualise at first.

Looking at the difference meter I can see that signals going into the green are reducing the volume, so I guess it can be viewed as a traditional compressor even though it isn't working like one under the hood.
Old 16th September 2020
Company Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by The 6th Beatle View Post
No, I don't think so, I can't seem to find that info in the manual, but even with an 8db boost I'm hitting about -6 so I doubt it. It's a good point though gain staging into Boost is a must. Probably running some kind of Auto LUFS and manually working on peak spikes if they're there.

It's slowly dawning on me how it works but I agree, the interplay between the controls is somewhat challenging to visualise at first.

Looking at the difference meter I can see that signals going into the green are reducing the volume, so I guess it can be viewed as a traditional compressor even though it isn't working like one under the hood.
Really enjoying following the discussion of how you are using Boost!

How much it's hitting the limiter in this case depends largely on the original volume of the input material. The internals of Boost will always limit if the signal coming from the pre fader goes over 0dBFS.

Trajectory, which is a 100% peak based (rather than RMS / LUFS /etc...) detection circuit makes a guarantee that it will always include all peaks neither over nor undershooting. This is the key differnence to 'normal' compressor detection circuits which leak transients because the attack does not react in time, and when it does it is not as precise.

With focus at anything other than the lowest setting, the upwards compression behaviour is always active. The curve shown inside the main knob is actually a rending of the gain curve being applied between (but not including) the pre and post faders. I found the best effects from upwards compression occur when the source is peaking above -15dBFS, perhaps as high as 0dBFS which is why I added the green band on the input slider.

As with all plugins, there are no wrong settings, and there are already a number of very effective uses for Boost that I never anticipated.

This is the way I generally use Boost.
First, set the pre so it's peaking roughly in the green and set the main boost knob to something like 40%, the value here is not important other than being enough to hear the effects of any of the following changes
  • If I want more density I raise Focus.
  • If I want to hear less background I lower Focus.
  • If I hear reverb tails getting over excited, I pull down max gain.
  • I personally rarely set Release beyond the minimum setting, but it can be good to give mixes a certain bounce.
  • Reduce or increase the main knob
  • Post is there if there are additional effects down the chain, otherwise if it's the last effect pre-fader then the fader does the same. I should probably think about adding some kind of auto modes to it.
I then loop over the above considerations until I have a volume balance I like.

Once I'm happy with the volume levels, or if I'm not trying to change the volume I reach for the punch and drive / emphasis. These exist to apply the illusion of volume without changing peak levels at all.
  • If I want to pick out the transients without cluttering a mix too much I raise the emphasis with punch turned on (good for drums, percussive arps and the like)
  • If I'm working with vocals, or similarly legato lead sounds I use punch off and drive to make that aspect shine through a mix. This can make the sound dominate which is not really a big issue for the lead vocal, but quicky gets a bit much if you apply it to more than one or two sounds.

HTH,
Dave @ UrsaDSP
Old 16th September 2020
Gear Addict

@ UrsaDSP
Hello,
I've updated from 1.1.22 to 1.1.32 for Windows, is there a changelog??
Also it would be nice to get some kind of notification for version updates.

Love the plug-in and trying it on anything is fun. If it sounds exciting but a bit too much, the built-in wet ratio in Reaper is a quick solution.
Old 16th September 2020
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by UrsaDSP View Post
Really enjoying following the discussion of how you are using Boost!

How much it's hitting the limiter in this case depends largely on the original volume of the input material. The internals of Boost will always limit if the signal coming from the pre fader goes over 0dBFS.

Trajectory, which is a 100% peak based (rather than RMS / LUFS /etc...) detection circuit makes a guarantee that it will always include all peaks neither over nor undershooting. This is the key differnence to 'normal' compressor detection circuits which leak transients because the attack does not react in time, and when it does it is not as precise.

With focus at anything other than the lowest setting, the upwards compression behaviour is always active. The curve shown inside the main knob is actually a rending of the gain curve being applied between (but not including) the pre and post faders. I found the best effects from upwards compression occur when the source is peaking above -15dBFS, perhaps as high as 0dBFS which is why I added the green band on the input slider.

As with all plugins, there are no wrong settings, and there are already a number of very effective uses for Boost that I never anticipated.

This is the way I generally use Boost.
First, set the pre so it's peaking roughly in the green and set the main boost knob to something like 40%, the value here is not important other than being enough to hear the effects of any of the following changes
  • If I want more density I raise Focus.
  • If I want to hear less background I lower Focus.
  • If I hear reverb tails getting over excited, I pull down max gain.
  • I personally rarely set Release beyond the minimum setting, but it can be good to give mixes a certain bounce.
  • Reduce or increase the main knob
  • Post is there if there are additional effects down the chain, otherwise if it's the last effect pre-fader then the fader does the same. I should probably think about adding some kind of auto modes to it.
I then loop over the above considerations until I have a volume balance I like.

Once I'm happy with the volume levels, or if I'm not trying to change the volume I reach for the punch and drive / emphasis. These exist to apply the illusion of volume without changing peak levels at all.
  • If I want to pick out the transients without cluttering a mix too much I raise the emphasis with punch turned on (good for drums, percussive arps and the like)
  • If I'm working with vocals, or similarly legato lead sounds I use punch off and drive to make that aspect shine through a mix. This can make the sound dominate which is not really a big issue for the lead vocal, but quicky gets a bit much if you apply it to more than one or two sounds.

HTH,
Dave @ UrsaDSP
What a fantastic post, thank you so much Dave ! For some mysterious, unknown reasons I totally occulted the need to gain stage accordingly (spoiler alert, I was too quiet).

Have I already expressed how much I love Boost ? Marvelous tool really !
Old 16th September 2020
Lives for gear

Awesome advice Dave of @ UrsaDSP . Thank you.
Old 16th September 2020
Lives for gear

Post #107 by @ UrsaDSP will be re-posted more than a few times as new users come on board discovering what is, IMO, the purest sounding leveler/densifying plugin on the market. I haven't reached for an LA2A algo since I bought Boost!

EDIT: Nor do I find myself needing to use channel limiters on drum shells catching overshoots. BOost handles that without touching the limiting section.
Old 16th September 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by JfromRVA View Post
Post #107 by @ UrsaDSP will be re-posted more than a few times as new users come on board discovering what is, IMO, the purest sounding leveler/densifying plugin on the market. I haven't reached for an LA2A algo since I bought Boost!
Yeah people slept on such an awesome intro price here. Probably the best value plugin buy I have made this year.
Old 16th September 2020
Lives for gear

This thing pumps really good
Old 18th September 2020
Company Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by vicnest View Post
@ UrsaDSP
Hello,
I've updated from 1.1.22 to 1.1.32 for Windows, is there a changelog??
Also it would be nice to get some kind of notification for version updates.

Love the plug-in and trying it on anything is fun. If it sounds exciting but a bit too much, the built-in wet ratio in Reaper is a quick solution.
Hi,
Sorry I missed your post.
latency compensated wet / dry will be included in the 1.2 update that I'm working on.

For released updates, the plugin should highlight that on the menu.

Change log is below, I'll add that to the UrsaDSP site at some point soon. I may start putting betas there at some point.

- fixed issue with plugin manufacturer coding which may affect some hosts.
- In app help improved.
- other minor issues improved.

- updated presets to use lower, tighter release times.
- added ability to double click value tabs and edit in precise values
- fixed an issue with bypass in some hosts.

Was a relatively early build that might have had an issue with the update prompter
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Addict

Out of interest, could Focus be expressed in db with any accuracy instead of the distance measurement which seems a bit abstract..or is there some kind of scientific thought behind the use of those measurements?
Old 4 weeks ago
Company Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by The 6th Beatle View Post
Out of interest, could Focus be expressed in db with any accuracy instead of the distance measurement which seems a bit abstract..or is there some kind of scientific thought behind the use of those measurements?
Good question. I wish I could give you a short and simple answer...

Expressing Focus as a distance is just my attempt at a metaphor.
Perhaps more scientifically, Focus alows you to chose from two behaviours:

1. With Focus at maximum - Boost is a high ratio upwards compressor with a knee. The gradient of this curve changes as boost is dialed up or down. The effect is the same as painstakingly choosing a threshold, curve and make up gain so that the knee hits an infinite ratio exactly at 0dbFS. This means the compression curve, no matter what the amount of boost, will never drive the signal into the limiter.

2. With Focus at minimum - Boost is more like a typical maximiser e.g. "push the signal harder towards the limiter". Though the limiting available here lends that some finesse.

Focus morphs the behaviour of the plugin between these two modes of operation. Note, this is not a simple audio blend, each setting instructs the Peak Remapper logic differently. You can see the curve the current logic is applying as a blue line inside the main knob.

Summary
Want an inteligent upwards compressor? set focus to the top.
Want an extra clean maximising limiter? set focus to the bottom.
Want a previously non-extant box that combines the two? well, now you can choose any value in between.

There's some related detail to this in the "Why isn’t the Boost Knob in dB instead of a percentage?" question on the FAQ: https://ursadsp.com/boost-faq/

Hopefully that's helped rather than obfuscated!

Dave @ UrsaDSP
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Addict

Thanks for the info, that helps a lot!
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Addict

Using this today got me thinking a moveable input ceiling would be really useful. Instead of cranking up the input. Even cooler if the limiter could be disengaged so signals over the 'threshold' would result in 0db gain.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neptune45 View Post
Yeah people slept on such an awesome intro price here. Probably the best value plugin buy I have made this year.
Didn’t sleep on it but kicking myself for missing it as I tried to buy it on the last day (August 30th?) thinking when it said “sale ends” on that day it meant the sale was still on til the end of that day, but alas no happiness boost for me 😵
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by soupiraille View Post
Delay compensation doesn't seem to work well in Studio One (v4.6.2 on Windows 10 x64) when switching Attack time values. You have to switch off the plugin then switch it on in order to make it properly.

You can witness this when you duplicate a track and put Boost on one of them => you get phase issues/comb filtering when changing the Attack time.
Also, without changing Attack time and without any processing (everything at 0), a null test between those two tracks nulls up until -80/-90dB only; is this normal? Same thing when I click Bypass: it nulls up until -80/90dB only.
Which would mean that the plugin is doing something even when bypassed?

Thanks for your support.
Just reporting what the support came up with so far: after investigations UrsaDSP contacted PreSonus and it’s a bug on Studio One’s side. PreSonus provided a fix for v5, and UrsaDSP will let me know if they plan to release a fix for v4 (I’m on v4 and have no plan yet to upgrade to v5).
The support at UrsaDSP has been great, I really appreciate it!
📝 Reply