Announcing Boost by UrsaDSP - Page 3 - Gearslutz
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Announcing Boost by UrsaDSP
Old 17th August 2020
Lives for gear

A tiny/moderate amount of Boost before a limiter sounds really nice.
Old 17th August 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by majoraxis View Post
Seems like a milti-band version might be good for mastering.

Would it be possible to disengage the clipper/limiter so that boost could be followed by a different clipper and/or limiter in mastering?

Or are there settings that will bypass the limiter on their own based on signal level?

Thanks!
I gotta re-read the manual to confirm, but I think Boost does not clip the audio?

Also, I think you can duck the limiter by leaving headroom in the audio that is not being affected by the limiter?

Sort of like using Boost more as a Maximizing Compressor/Leveller.
Old 18th August 2020
Gear Maniac

I think you are right - I should have left it at limiting. Regarding headroom the output volume level is post limiter so turning down the input is the way to get more headroom but it lessen the effect all other things being equal. I would just like to be able to turn off the Limiter.
Old 18th August 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
I think you are right - I should have left it at limiting. Regarding headroom the output volume level is post limiter so turning down the input is the way to get more headroom but it lessen the effect all other things being equal. I would just like to be able to turn off the Limiter.
According to the manual, I think the user can avoid having Boost apply limiting to the audio? Here is a link to the manual. I do have to spend some time with it still. https://deviousmachines.com/manuals/...t%20Manual.pdf
Old 19th August 2020
Gear Maniac

Delay compensation doesn't seem to work well in Studio One (v4.6.2 on Windows 10 x64) when switching Attack time values. You have to switch off the plugin then switch it on in order to make it properly.

You can witness this when you duplicate a track and put Boost on one of them => you get phase issues/comb filtering when changing the Attack time.
Also, without changing Attack time and without any processing (everything at 0), a null test between those two tracks nulls up until -80/-90dB only; is this normal? Same thing when I click Bypass: it nulls up until -80/90dB only.
Which would mean that the plugin is doing something even when bypassed?

Thanks for your support.
Old 19th August 2020
Company Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by soupiraille View Post
Delay compensation doesn't seem to work well in Studio One (v4.6.2 on Windows 10 x64) when switching Attack time values. You have to switch off the plugin then switch it on in order to make it properly.

Thanks for your support.
Thanks for letting me know. It's probably worth sending these items to Devious Machines support to make sure I don't miss them.

I'll have a chat with Studio One to see if there's a particular issue but I see that V5 is the current version so perhaps they've updated PDC in that?

The only processing that bypass mode is doing is updating the meters and keeping the delay static to avoid clicks when turning it on or off, though if there's a PDC errata in the host that would affect cancellation too.

Dave
Old 19th August 2020
Company Rep

Quote:
Is your incoming signal above 0dBFS?
If not, you should be able to set Boost to not make any changes to the audio going through by turning emphasis / drive to 0 and the main boost knob to 0.

JfromRVA is quite correct that Boost does not do any clipping of the signal. Emphasis and Drive use saturation effects to restore the perception of loudness but it's not based on clipping. Instead it dynamically applys an amount of those effects based on the level of the incomming material.

Please feel free to drop me an email about what you are trying to do that is running into the limiter, I'd like to understand it better.

HTH,
Dave @ UrsaDSP
Old 23rd August 2020
Lives for gear

Thumbs up

Finally got around to demo this little gem.

And I can definitely see a future with it.

Bought + Happy

Last edited by Bob Yordan; 23rd August 2020 at 10:02 AM..
Old 23rd August 2020
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by UrsaDSP View Post
Thanks for letting me know. It's probably worth sending these items to Devious Machines support to make sure I don't miss them.

I'll have a chat with Studio One to see if there's a particular issue but I see that V5 is the current version so perhaps they've updated PDC in that?

The only processing that bypass mode is doing is updating the meters and keeping the delay static to avoid clicks when turning it on or off, though if there's a PDC errata in the host that would affect cancellation too.

Dave
I left an email to the support address, I hope you received it.
Studio One v5 as far as I know did not make any changes to the PDC.
Also for some reason now in bypass mode it nulls completely, I must have been doing something wrong the other day.
Thanks for your support.
Old 23rd August 2020
Lives for gear

If you are in need of super transparent 'boost' in RMS I don't know any other plugin that delivers like Boost on sounds with sub frequency information?
Old 24th August 2020
Lives for gear

Just $luted myself on boost.. Not that easy to set on my 2bus.. But useful at some corners.. Gotta check some tuto or manuel to be sure i'm not missing something..
Old 25th August 2020
Gear Addict

Not tried it in a mastering context but as a dynamics processor it's really impressive. It's unique and therefore, after swearing to never buy another dynamics processor after Unisum, a guilt free purchase.

Echoing the praise on drums, and also on vocals, which I was most intrigued to try and got a pinned vocal sound with Unisum doing a little extra after and it sounded eerily transparent, like what I'd always expected Waves Vocal Rider to do but could never do very well.

Liking this spell of super useful, good sounding digitally designed tools. Keep them coming.
Old 26th August 2020
Bought after a few days of testing. After all, it's not like I don't already have dozens and dozens of limiters, compressors, transient shapers, de-compressors, de-expanders etc.

Using Boost on drums, bass, vocals, piano—everything really that needs "dynamic conditioning". Looking at a kick through an oscilloscope for example, the treated waveform looks very clean and follows the original waveform rather than being clipped off "horizontally". So the spike has gone but there's no distortion. If I still want some of that sort of sound I can use the Punch parameter or another plug-in like a clipper or saturator.

In a 2-buss context I was expecting it to be a sort of "EZ Loudermaker", but in reality it took me a good while to set the interaction between Input, Focus, Punch, Lookahead and Release on the front and Punch Transient Detector Length on the "back" just right. Then I was able to get clean loudness similar to my favourite limiter(Elevate), but with a fuller sound.

Since in my book any RMS-increasing plug-in that—as a net effect—turns down transients will decrease the feeling of "groove", I also experimented with putting another instance of Boost before the main instance, but with the Expander switch on the back turned to "on". Even at a low Boost or mix level, this strengthened the groove quite forcefully, similar to playing a cassette with Dolby on that hadn't been recorded with it. For those of you who remember...

So with those two instances I had a lot of control over how much movement and punch I wanted the mix to have, without needing any other dynamics processors. And CPU usage is very low so there's no penalty for using many instances of Boost all over the session.

I think the dev has come up with something genuinely new, and along with DSEQ (for "frequency conditioning"), Boost is my favourite plug-in of 2020 so far!
Old 27th August 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncovered Pitch View Post
I also experimented with putting another instance of Boost before the main instance, but with the Expander switch on the back turned to "on". Even at a low Boost or mix level, this strengthened the groove quite forcefully, similar to playing a cassette with Dolby on that hadn't been recorded with it. For those of you who remember...

So with those two instances I had a lot of control over how much movement and punch I wanted the mix to have, without needing any other dynamics processors. And CPU usage is very low so there's no penalty for using many instances of Boost all over the session.

I think the dev has come up with something genuinely new, and along with DSEQ (for "frequency conditioning"), Boost is my favourite plug-in of 2020 so far!
Was this 2 instances of Boost on your 2-buss in series? Or did you have some kind of parallel set-up? I'd appreciate any more info on this if you don't mind. Thanks.

I also love this plugin, DSEQ and Unisum. These plugins are finally stepping more in to the realm of what digital can achieve that analogue cannot rather than just always trying to emulate analogue hardware.
Old 27th August 2020
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neptune45 View Post
Was this 2 instances of Boost on your 2-buss in series? Or did you have some kind of parallel set-up? I'd appreciate any more info on this if you don't mind. Thanks.

I also love this plugin, DSEQ and Unisum. These plugins are finally stepping more in to the realm of what digital can achieve that analogue cannot rather than just always trying to emulate analogue hardware.
The two instances were in series. The "groove enhancer"(in expansion mode) first, then the regular instance immediately after for RMS flattening as advertised.

Fwiw I'm one of the few poor souls on here who don't get Unisum. It just never won any of the numerous shootouts I did, no matter whether I tried presets or adjusting every single advanced parameter. It just sounded sterile to me, whereas Boost has a flavour that I really like, with just the right number of options to shape the sound.
Old 27th August 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
The two instances were in series. The "groove enhancer"(in expansion mode) first, then the regular instance immediately after for RMS flattening as advertised.

Fwiw I'm one of the few poor souls on here who don't get Unisum. It just never won any of the numerous shootouts I did, no matter whether I tried presets or adjusting every single advanced parameter. It just sounded sterile to me, whereas Boost has a flavour that I really like, with just the right number of options to shape the sound.
Thanks.
Old 27th August 2020
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Since in my book any RMS-increasing plug-in that—as a net effect—turns down transients will decrease the feeling of "groove", I also experimented with putting another instance of Boost before the main instance, but with the Expander switch on the back turned to "on".
What is that "Expander switch on the back"?
Old 27th August 2020
Quote:
What is that "Expander switch on the back"?
In the DAWs I use(Reaper and Logic), you can adjust the values of each parameter without the GUI being rendered. On that page you can also reveal additional, "hidden" parameters which is what the dev has done here.

If your DAW doesn't support GUI-less plug-in versions then the hidden parameters can be accessed through automation.

Apparently Expander mode is an experimental feature but since it works so well I hope that the dev is going to keep it in. In HoRNet's ThirtyOne there was a superb-sounding, but accidental algorithm in the first release which according to many on here the second release with the "proper code" couldn't match. So the dev listened to us and kept his original, flawed but great algorithm as an option and called it "Lucky Algorithm"!
Old 27th August 2020
Lives for gear

Okay,

Been mixing a piece of music using Boost as suggested by my fellow gearsluters: On bass, Beat, synths, (No Vocals on this one), sub-groups.. here and there and a bit of lifting on the 2Bus.

One of the most interesting mix of my life, really, and on need to talk about RMS easily gained..

So yeah, Definitely one of the most useful plugin of the year.

So Happy to be onboard with Boost.

@ JfromRVA, Thanks muchly for the YT link

@ Uncovered Pitch, Awesome posts, Thank you.
Old 27th August 2020
Gear Maniac

Quote:
In the DAWs I use(Reaper and Logic), you can adjust the values of each parameter without the GUI being rendered. On that page you can also reveal additional, "hidden" parameters which is what the dev has done here.

If your DAW doesn't support GUI-less plug-in versions then the hidden parameters can be accessed through automation.

Apparently Expander mode is an experimental feature but since it works so well I hope that the dev is going to keep it in. In HoRNet's ThirtyOne there was a superb-sounding, but accidental algorithm in the first release which according to many on here the second release with the "proper code" couldn't match. So the dev listened to us and kept his original, flawed but great algorithm as an option and called it "Lucky Algorithm"!
Oh ok I see thanks. So it's the "ADV Gate" parameter that you're talking about, right? Cause I don't see any "Expander mode" automatable parameter (in Studio One).
Old 27th August 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:

Thanks for pointing this out. I had missed this somehow and now looking forward to trying it out.
Old 27th August 2020
Quote:
Oh ok I see thanks. So it's the "ADV Gate" parameter that you're talking about, right? Cause I don't see any "Expander mode" automatable parameter (in Studio One).
I can't check in Studio One but in Reaper there's an automatable parameter called "ADV Expand Mode" which is the one I was referring to in my earlier posts.
Old 27th August 2020
Gear Maniac

I don't see that "ADV Expander Mode" argh; which version of Boost are you using? (on my side the 'about' info dialogbox has an error, it says 1.1.31, but the real version number is the build number, i.e. 1.1.32; that's the one I have here)

Last edited by soupiraille; 27th August 2020 at 06:13 PM.. Reason: precisions added
Old 27th August 2020
Quote:
I don't see that "ADV Expander Mode" argh; which version of Boost are you using? (on my side the 'about' info dialogbox has an error, it says 1.1.31, but the real version number is the build number, i.e. 1.1.32; that's the one I have here)
That's the version I'm using too. If it's not an automation window size or scrolling issue then you may have to shoot the dev a quick email or wait for him to respond here. If he had a Google Alert going and saw the praise that was coming his way on here, he'd probably be even more active on this thread!
Old 28th August 2020
Company Rep

Thanks folks,
I'll see if I can add some of those hidden widgets to the menu.
I hear you about not breaking it in future revisions too!

Also, very interested in hearing how you're using Boost and how and where it works for you. I need to get some tutorials made for new users, if anyone here has made one please let me know and I'd be happy to link to them where I can.

Other issues already fixed and coming soon to a beta near you:
- Plugin no longer grabbing keyboard focus (e.g. enter togling buttons rather than getting to the Host DAW)
- plugin remembering it's size between sessions.

I'll let you know when the beta is available,
[email protected]
Old 28th August 2020
Lives for gear
Drums obviously love Boost. We all know it by now hehe
I also find it's absolutely stellar post-EQ to densify (synthetic) basslines, or anything bass-heavy really. I'd love some control over the gate (as it's hidden, I've just toyed with it's threshold so far), and would love to know where it happens in the signal chain.
Marvelous plugin anyway
Old 28th August 2020
Lives for gear

I like boost quite a lot for bringing out the detail in a modular hardware track,
it has definitely helped me to get a better handle on the loudness with my
limited setup.

Interestingly, It's literally the only plugin on this track and I think it really helps
to boost the fine detail from the modular weirdness therein. *shrug

Old 29th August 2020
Lives for gear

I still say that we should be able to have Perpetual Licences for this plugin "Expires 1 Jan 2999" lol. I mean I was going to pass it down as a family heirloom.
PA got in to much trouble over their model...jk.

I look forward to your new creations. Are you going to team up with Devious Machines on joint projects in future or stay separate?

Cheers.
Old 29th August 2020
Here for the gear

really enjoying this plugin! works like magic on a drum bus.

[email protected], any chance of a quick back/forward button to undo/redo a slight change? the A/B capability is quite useful, but it'd be so convenient to be able to alter a slight change on the fly. apologies if this is already a feature that i somehow missed.

thanks!
Old 29th August 2020
Is there supposed to be noise in the demo? Seems to be a regular white noise that comes in?
📝 Reply