Gearslutz

Gearslutz (https://www.gearslutz.com/board/)
-   Product Alerts older than 2 months (https://www.gearslutz.com/board/product-alerts-older-than-2-months/)
-   -   Announcing Boost by UrsaDSP (https://www.gearslutz.com/board/product-alerts-older-than-2-months/1320075-announcing-boost-ursadsp.html)

JfromRVA 31st July 2020 02:05 AM

After putting it through the paces on a drum mix the best selling points for me is the Focus and Punch features. I could mimic the sound I was getting out of Boost, but it took 3 plugs as was cumbersome! I was able to get rid of channel limiters and the buss compressor went from -2db GR to barely moving the needle (more of a tone shaper now!)

I think you have a winner here. I was really loving my drums mix before Boost. Now it sounds broken without it so I had to buy!

EDIT: So I read the manual trying to grasp what the Focus slider does and how it sounds. To me, higher values sound farther away. Like a proximity effect. But what is actually happening is lower level sound is being brought forward by upward compression? Whatever is going on, what I really dig about the results is the 'plumpness' Boost can bring out of drum shells.

Also, and I really have no idea how it works so excuse my ignorance here, but what would be really cool with the Punch feature when processing individual drums would be the ability to aim the Emphasis at whatever frequency the user would like to 'punch' up! Right now, and I could be wrong, but it seems to push the low mids more forward in a consistent 'spot'? IDK....maybe a specific bump in the low mids to have better separation choices for kick,snare, and toms?

I know I'm off the rail here with the intended use of Boost but it is crazy good for drum processing!

bleepbleep 31st July 2020 04:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JfromRVA (Post 14887797)
ut oh. I'm already making presets. Just dial up the attached settings on a 'finished' kick drum. Very cool as a transient designer as well. Adds sustain (or shorten the sustain if you want!). Very modest settings took what I thought was already a good sounding kick and made it sound great. I would change the name to IMPACT because that is what this plug can add to sounds.

I'm in agreement, Boost absolutely rocks on kick drums, I've been using it on electronic kicks with sine wave subs and its sounds so good with the look a head on max - no discernible distortion on the subs, and the sound is so thick and punchy, its a winner.

JfromRVA 1st August 2020 06:29 PM

I hope people here check this out because it can maximize sound in a unique way. Like @ bleepbleep stated the subs come through crystal clear and punch like Mike Tyson!

Not to mention the positive 'glue' effect is can have on reverbs/chorus/fx in general. Great tool!

nil hartman 2nd August 2020 11:50 AM

Quite a lovely densifier on synthetic basslines too. Seems to be a pretty great mixing tool really. From my first tests, a little is often enough.

Any chance to add the possibility to directly type-in values for all parameters, just like for In/Out please ?

UrsaDSP 2nd August 2020 01:05 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by nil hartman (Post 14892470)
Quite a lovely densifier on synthetic basslines too. Seems to be a pretty great mixing tool really. From my first tests, a little is often enough.

Any chance to add the possibility to directly type-in values for all parameters, just like for In/Out please ?

Coming as soon as I can iron out a kink on the Mac version.

Dave @ UrsaDSP

b15fliptop 2nd August 2020 03:20 PM

Liking this plug, but is anyone else experiencing phase issues when using it on a send?

nil hartman 2nd August 2020 04:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by b15fliptop (Post 14892694)
Liking this plug, but is anyone else experiencing phase issues when using it on a send?

Haven't tried it in a send/return set-up, thought I can't help wondering how useful a Dry/Wet option could be.

UrsaDSP 2nd August 2020 08:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by b15fliptop (Post 14892694)

My first guess would be that the DAW's Plugin Delay Compensation is not quite doing what it should and you're getting comb filtering from the signal being added back plus a delay.
Try it with the plugin bypass turned on (via the bypass button on the plugin, rather than the host). This does no processing other than leaving the latency in place and running the input / output meters. If the phasing still happens then let me know the DAW version and host O/S.

[email protected]

majoraxis 6th August 2020 05:21 PM

I like the density and musicality it adds to the maximized signal.

The Loudness Penalty Plug-in indicates it won’t get turned down as much while sounding louder and more open than other limiters - nice!

Two things I would like:
1. More control over the transients/Punch
2. A continuous attack/look ahead setting so I can have the in between settings like 3.5ms and 7.5ms etc

Nonetheless this is still very special as it is!

UrsaDSP 7th August 2020 12:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by majoraxis (Post 14900429)
Two things I would like:
1. More control over the transients/Punch
2. A continuous attack/look ahead setting so I can have the in between settings like 3.5ms and 7.5ms etc!

Thanks! and that's great to hear about the loudness penalty being less with Boost.

Point 2 is already possible but a bit hidden:
You can automate the "Look Ahead" parameter (or access via a DAW's parameter list) to get any setting from 2ms to 45ms.

The reason this is not on the UI is that some older versions of DAWs (including Live) reset the whole UI when it detected the latency had changed, reloading the plugin. this made a knob control unusable. I opted for buttons but left the flexibility in the background.

Point 1 is on my list for future developement as part of a general improvement to and broadening of the character controls.

HTH,
Dave @ UrsaDSP

V4nger 7th August 2020 02:36 PM

Could you perhaps include an option of 'permanent max latency' so that the scale could be adjusted freely without a UI reset?

Neptune45 9th August 2020 03:00 PM

Loving this plugin, how long is it on sale for?

majoraxis 9th August 2020 03:53 PM

Loving this as well.

On dialog tracks this lets me fill in the sound and made it more intelligible. It replaces compression, limiting and saturation (using Drive rather than Punch) to get a track that is easy to hear.

If something is lost in the mix put Boost on it and there you go - a louder better sounding track that will stand out in a mix.

I bet if you started with Boost on every track as the last plugin on that track and tweaked the settings a little, you would have a mix that is half way done.

UrsaDSP 10th August 2020 03:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Neptune45 (Post 14905292)
Loving this plugin, how long is it on sale for?

Sale ends 30th August and I'm not sure if we'll have such a broad, low price offer again.

It might break some kind of developer code to discuss this, but market research suggested that I should go with a price significantly over what I went for in the end, mostly as the plugin offers some unique capabilities to mastering engineers.
But as majoraxis noted (thanks for that BTW!), Boost has a wider appeal than just a speciailist mastering tool and I didn't want to restrict it. As a result I started low AND had a decent starting sale to start getting word out there. Perhaps the lower list price made it look cheaper, but I'd rather do it this way than get into the crazy discounting some channels go for.

Dave

Neptune45 10th August 2020 03:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by UrsaDSP (Post 14906835)
Sale ends 30th August and I'm not sure if we'll have such a broad, low price offer again.

It might break some kind of developer code to discuss this, but market research suggested that I should go with a price significantly over what I went for in the end, mostly as the plugin offers some unique capabilities to mastering engineers.
But as majoraxis noted (thanks for that BTW!), Boost has a wider appeal than just a speciailist mastering tool and I didn't want to restrict it. As a result I started low AND had a decent starting sale to start getting word out there. Perhaps the lower list price made it look cheaper, but I'd rather do it this way than get into the crazy discounting some channels go for.

Dave

I will jump on it today then. Thanks for the info and congrats on a great plugin. Pulsar did the same last year with their Mu Compressor, it started at only £45 intro offer and now you'd be lucky to see it for less than around £100 in a sale (currently around £120 RRP) so that's a big price jump in a year.

Must be difficult to set a price in the current market as if you go too high it really annoys the early adopters when prices are slashed (like Izotope with Stutter Edit2) etc.

I think you have done it the right way in that early adopters should benefit if anyone does and also it's good, as you say for getting the word to spread.

Keep up the good work.

Thanks.

JfromRVA 10th August 2020 05:51 PM

nice walk thru vid:

ChocolateHawkins 11th August 2020 02:30 PM

I was skeptical at first, but I tried it last night on a drum bus... I'm not sure what wizardry is taking place here but it's crazy how it can push transients like it does without adding any volume or crapping out like a clipper or limiter might with this much pop.

100% sold.

I agree with the other poster here that having more control over the transient emphasis would be great. Even if it were something like XLN uses in RC-20 and XO; just a slider where you can filter out the top and bottom and narrow to a band. OR a 3-band type thing.

JfromRVA 12th August 2020 02:15 AM

I think Boost is the first plug to start the new 'Density' War!

Edit: It has replaced the need to clip my drums. Amazing

Neptune45 12th August 2020 02:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JfromRVA (Post 14909820)
I think Boost is the first plug to start the new 'Density' War!

Edit: It has replaced the need to clip my drums. Amazing

Don't give the EDM crowd the idea lol. :facepalm:

vze26m98 12th August 2020 10:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bmanic (Post 14888245)
That is also another harmonics generator yes, but so is Inflator.

I think he was pointing out Inflator doesn’t do 2nd order harmonics.

mljung 12th August 2020 12:51 PM

I get errors when installing Boost on Win10. The latest version wouldn't install at all. Has anyone else experienced anything similar?

::
Mads

ChocolateHawkins 12th August 2020 02:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mljung (Post 14910437)
I get errors when installing Boost on Win10. The latest version wouldn't install at all. Has anyone else experienced anything similar?

Mads

Win10 here, no issues. What kind of error are you getting?

Neptune45 12th August 2020 03:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mljung (Post 14910437)

Mads

Windows 10 x64 here as well with no issues. What version are you on? I am currently on Version 2004.

Maybe delete what you downloaded and then try redownloading and installing. Might have been corrupted during download.

mljung 12th August 2020 05:01 PM

Thanks Neptune and Chocolate
Good to know! It's some sort of windows system error. Warning messages keep coming as in a loop. I'll give it another go soon and see if I have more luck...

Mads

UrsaDSP 12th August 2020 07:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mljung (Post 14910787)
Thanks Neptune and Chocolate
Good to know! It's some sort of windows system error. Warning messages keep coming as in a loop. I'll give it another go soon and see if I have more luck...
Mads

Hi Mads,
Sorry to hear it's not working as expected. Could you send a screenshot of the error messages and any other details you think may be relevant to [email protected]?

I've done quite a bit of testing on win10 and that's the platform I generally use when developing so it should be OK.

Dave @ UrsaDSP

mljung 12th August 2020 10:50 PM

I'm a few days off, but will try to remember when I'm back :-)

Mads

no genre 13th August 2020 09:16 PM

Finally got around to demoing. After two days of demo, I am sold. Just purchased. Great so far on drum bus, Hammond B3 with Leslie, and bass. This thing can certainly add guts! Haven't tried it on 2 bus yet, but no matter: for the cool things I've already seen it do it's worth the price. Anything else it's good at will just be a bonus, from my perspective at least. Nice plug in.

pekbro 16th August 2020 03:10 AM

Boost is great, giving me lots more detail and loudness. Helping my mixes quite a lot, and believe me they needed help :D

carlosdanger 16th August 2020 10:05 PM

amazing mixing tool, not as great for master

majoraxis 17th August 2020 09:05 PM

Seems like a milti-band version might be good for mastering.

Would it be possible to disengage the clipper/limiter so that boost could be followed by a different clipper and/or limiter in mastering?

Or are there settings that will bypass the limiter on their own based on signal level?

Thanks!