The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Stam Audio 1073-5
Old 23rd July 2020
Stam Audio 1073-5

My new Stam Audio 1073-5 (500 series) with the Sowter output.

Wow. They nailed it again. I love this thing.

It's got the mojo and depth you'd expect out of it's British influence and seems to have a bit of extra clarity.

The price is amazing. You can easily pay to two or three times as much for a competitor and still not get this quality.

It's in the same performance class as it's top-shelf counterparts - full RU or 500.

Another win by Stam.

Old 23rd July 2020
Lives for gear

Did u bought it directly from Stam?
How long it took to reach u after u order it?

Thanks alot.
Old 23rd July 2020
Lives for gear

Next month it will be 2 years since I ordered my SA67
Old 23rd July 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by baslotto View Post
Next month it will be 2 years since I ordered my SA67
don't matter how nice it sound, that's really a no-go for me.
Old 23rd July 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by alibling View Post
don't matter how nice it sound, that's really a no-go for me.
Yeh, I’m pretty sure others have been luckier than me, it just makes me smile when I see posts from Stam’s products, I always think of how much patience their customer must have
Truth to be told, I ordered 2 mics and the other one got to my studio after around a year, so I’m pretty sure something must have been delayed only for the 67s.
Old 23rd July 2020
Lives for gear

but it seems the 1073-5 is available. u can buy it also at reverb.com.
Old 24th July 2020
Quote:
Originally Posted by alibling View Post
Did u bought it directly from Stam?
How long it took to reach u after u order it?

Thanks alot.
They had them in stock. I got it one week after ordering. This isn't my first Stam piece. Yes.....there can be a long wait....for me it's ended up being worth it. I just factor that in. This one was sent out quickly tho.
Old 24th July 2020
Lives for gear

I became an Audioscape customer and haven't looked back. Being locked out of two threads on here was the last straw
Old 24th July 2020
Company Rep
Quote:
Yeh, I’m pretty sure others have been luckier than me, it just makes me smile when I see posts from Stam’s products, I always think of how much patience their customer must have
Truth to be told, I ordered 2 mics and the other one got to my studio after around a year, so I’m pretty sure something must have been delayed only for the 67s.
We don't operate in a linear way
Whatever parts we get in first we build that on that particular month.
There is no logic in not building anything else because we are missing a capsule or transformer for a particular product.

On the good side of things I will be done with all the 67's in August and they will actually be in stock for the first time, might have about 20 left over.

Sorry about the long wait, do DM me if you have any further questions on your 67

Josh
Old 24th July 2020
Company Rep
Quote:
Originally Posted by basswriter View Post
My new Stam Audio 1073-5 (500 series) with the Sowter output.

Wow. They nailed it again. I love this thing.

It's got the mojo and depth you'd expect out of it's British influence and seems to have a bit of extra clarity.

The price is amazing. You can easily pay to two or three times as much for a competitor and still not get this quality.

It's in the same performance class as it's top-shelf counterparts - full RU or 500.

Another win by Stam.

Thanks for this review. I am happy you liked the unit.

I am sorry this thread turned into a negative hole. It would have been fun to discuss the product itself

For those interested in it we decided to make 500 series units as a way to give work to friends and colleagues who either lost their job or income due to COVID-19 and needed it. I had a bunch of designs and PCB sitting at the lab and would have never had time to make them. Most of them are guitar pedal makers or amp builders. Unfortunately I can't use them on the ADF/StamChild and SA4000 due to the level of complexity of those designs but making these PCB's and other simple stuff works well.

The units are designed by us and each part I select and give to them.

It has been a nice way to put food on the table for them and a way for us to keep things moving during this long lock-down.

The rest of the team are populating backorder PCB's from home, we will hopefully resume normal operation in 2 weeks as things improve.

Be safe!
J
Old 24th July 2020
Noa
Gear Addict

I tried to buy a compressor from him about 3 years ago for the early adopter price. Did I ever receive it? No. I finally asked for a refund recently. I watched so many new products come out and I was waiting like 3 years. He just borrowed some money from me for a little while I guess. Terrible.
Old 24th July 2020
Company Rep
Quote:
Originally Posted by Noa View Post
I tried to buy a compressor from him about 3 years ago for the early adopter price. Did I ever receive it? No. I finally asked for a refund recently. I watched so many new products come out and I was waiting like 3 years. He just borrowed some money from me for a little while I guess. Terrible.
Which compressor was this?
Old 24th July 2020
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshuanaconda View Post
I don't have the power to censor you nor would I. There is nothing wrong with having a bad opinion about me or my business as long as it's within a respectful frame which I thank you for.

I disagree completely with everything you have said.

Do you realize I actually don't make any money until I deliver the unit? I actually temporarily LOSE money every time somebody reserves one because I have to fund 75% of the build with my own pocket. 500 USD doesn't build a Stamchild nor does 200 USD make a SA23A+ or a SA67. For every customer that reserves a Stamchild I have to pay 2K from my pocket to get it done.

So why would I do that ? What is the logic behind that?

About delivering some products, yes, if 300 products a month is some then that is what we do.
Then why would you release other products before filling your orders from 3 years ago?
Old 24th July 2020
Gear Addict

I received a pair of SA-1073-500’s along with the SA-4000Mk2 w/Neve Output Mod yesterday. I had been waiting almost 2 years to the date for the SA-4000mk2. Frustrating, yes, but Josh delivered. I’m pleased to have my units.

As for the SA-1073 500: The build quality is impressive at this price point. I look forward to putting the pres through the paces and see how they stack up. I’ve bought enough gear over the years to know that you get what you pay for. There are no shortcuts. I thank Josh and his team for delivering on their promise. Their is obviously still room for improvement on timing and scheduling, but they are delivering.
Old 24th July 2020
Lives for gear

I do find Scam lead times mind boggling!

Someone said 2 years wait on one post - 2 years!

That's an awful lot of time earning money when you could of just bought for example a BAE product on next day delivery!

What ever happened to opportunity cost?

That said I admire anyone with that much patience, I have trouble waiting for green bananas to ripen!
Old 24th July 2020
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by thehightenor View Post
I do find Scam lead times mind boggling!

Someone said 2 years wait on one post - 2 years!

That's an awful lot of time earning money when you could of just bought for example a BAE product on next day delivery!

What ever happened to opportunity cost?

That said I admire anyone with that much patience, I have trouble waiting for green bananas to ripen!
2 years is a long time, I agree. Funny thing is though, you can still make records without a certain type of compressor.... even good sounding records. In the end we’re talking about tools here.
Old 24th July 2020
Company Rep
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Phil View Post
Then why would you release other products before filling your orders from 3 years ago?
We have always announced our designs to see weather there is interest from our clients or not in them and see which direction to go.

That does not interfere with production. It's completely irrelevant
Old 24th July 2020
Company Rep
Quote:
Originally Posted by SHIRK View Post
I received a pair of SA-1073-500’s along with the SA-4000Mk2 w/Neve Output Mod yesterday. I had been waiting almost 2 years to the date for the SA-4000mk2. Frustrating, yes, but Josh delivered. I’m pleased to have my units.

As for the SA-1073 500: The build quality is impressive at this price point. I look forward to putting the pres through the paces and see how they stack up. I’ve bought enough gear over the years to know that you get what you pay for. There are no shortcuts. I thank Josh and his team for delivering on their promise. Their is obviously still room for improvement on timing and scheduling, but they are delivering.
That's awesome, thanks so much for your feedback!!
Old 24th July 2020
Lives for gear

In my opinion, Josh ignore it if you will, Stam should make a batch, finish it and THEN advertise it on forums. Sell it on Reverb by saying “50 units available from today”. Whoever gets it will be happy for the 7 day shipment and there will be no more negative comments. If the products are valuable they will give you a good review. These stupid long waits are unhealthy for your business but you seem to be immune to negative comments. Now even new products are starting a negative fire, it’s getting close to the moment you close shop and start waiting tables.
Old 24th July 2020
Gear Head

The best thing you can do is stop taking new orders. If what you say is true, about how much of your own cash you are laying out to build products, then this will free up cash. Catch up on your orders, make your customers happy, improve your reputation. Successful businesses rely on repeat business, happy customers and WORD OF MOUTH, and with this model and your current level of execution you don't stand a long term chance. I've been waiting for a 1073 since April so I guess that's not so bad. I was told I would be shipped in August. If it's not, that would tell me there is something really wrong going on there.
Old 24th July 2020
Lives for gear

There’s nothing really wrong except you‘ll need another preamp for these following 2-4 years.
Old 24th July 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleshnyc View Post
The best thing you can do is stop taking new orders. If what you say is true, about how much of your own cash you are laying out to build products, then this will free up cash. Catch up on your orders, make your customers happy, improve your reputation. Successful businesses rely on repeat business, happy customers and WORD OF MOUTH, and with this model and your current level of execution you don't stand a long term chance. I've been waiting for a 1073 since April so I guess that's not so bad. I was told I would be shipped in August. If it's not, that would tell me there is something really wrong going on there.

Audioscape seem to have the right idea - if they don't have it available to sell you literally can't order it on their website.

It seems a more honest approach to doing business, that said it's a free world and if people want to order Stam products and are happy to wait - why not - it's clearly a case of caveat emptor - I don't see Stam hiding anything - it's common knowledge their products have long lead times.
Old 24th July 2020
Company Rep
Quote:
In my opinion, Josh ignore it if you will, Stam should make a batch, finish it and THEN advertise it on forums. Sell it on Reverb by saying “50 units available from today”. Whoever gets it will be happy for the 7 day shipment and there will be no more negative comments. If the products are valuable they will give you a good review. These stupid long waits are unhealthy for your business but you seem to be immune to negative comments. Now even new products are starting a negative fire, it’s getting close to the moment you close shop and start waiting tables.
Isn't that exactly what we just did?

We have not announced a new product in a very long time, we didn't even announce this one and it was in stock, no pre-orders because I know that people at this point get irritated by it instead of being excited.

I have designs sitting around that could probably get hundreds of pre-orders in a day like the 1176 ADG did but I am not interested in that anymore.

I am not immune to negative comments but I take it from who they come from if that makes sense
Old 24th July 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Isn't that exactly what we just did?

We have not announced a new product in a very long time, we didn't even announce this one and it was in stock, no pre-orders because I know that people at this point get irritated by it instead of being excited.

I have designs sitting around that could probably get hundreds of pre-orders in a day like the 1176 ADG did but I am not interested in that anymore.

I am not immune to negative comments but I take it from who they come from if that makes sense
That’s a good thing! I hope to see my 67 soon and that your business thrives from now on. We all want to forget about these past few years of delays, early promises and cancellations due to long time waits.
Old 24th July 2020
Gear Maniac

I'm not a gear-maker so I'm not trying to be disingenuous here, just honestly curious. Is it typical for there to be a 2-3 year lead time for components for gear? It seems like that's generally the lead time on stuff from Stam so I'm curious what could realistically justify the unusual wait times. I've received a few Stam products and generally am happy with them though there were quality control issues on almost all of them. They did cover the cost of fixing them, though I am certainly a bit uneasy about the longevity of the gear. But I did also get refunds on other products and was obviously left feeling pretty bummed about losing money with the PayPal fees, as someone else here mentioned. In the end, I just realized that this sort of preorder model isn't for me, but to each their own.
Old 24th July 2020
Gear Addict

I recently ordered and received 2 of the b-stock Stam 1073 500 mic pre modules direct from Stam that I saw on Stam's FB group page. I contacted Joshua directly, he confirmed that they were in stock and would ship quickly. I received tracking info from DHL within 2 days and received them about one week after they were ordered. Packaging was great, tracking thru DHL's website was updated frequently, communication between myself and Stam's customer service was excellent. They look and sound terrific.

I have bought many Stam products over the years, including the first product, the SA-2A compressor, when no one had much experience with buying gear from a person based in Chile. I have had to deal with long lead times and delays in receiving gear in the past. I've also ordered products that Stam confirmed was in stock and received them fast.

Stam is building gear by hand, not by mass-production. Long lead times and delays in the past aside, if you're willing to wait you will get gear whose performance exceeds the price of purchase.
Old 25th July 2020
Gear Head

Quote:
Thanks for this review. I am happy you liked the unit.

I am sorry this thread turned into a negative hole. It would have been fun to discuss the product itself

For those interested in it we decided to make 500 series units as a way to give work to friends and colleagues who either lost their job or income due to COVID-19 and needed it. I had a bunch of designs and PCB sitting at the lab and would have never had time to make them. Most of them are guitar pedal makers or amp builders. Unfortunately I can't use them on the ADF/StamChild and SA4000 due to the level of complexity of those designs but making these PCB's and other simple stuff works well.

The units are designed by us and each part I select and give to them.

It has been a nice way to put food on the table for them and a way for us to keep things moving during this long lock-down.

The rest of the team are populating backorder PCB's from home, we will hopefully resume normal operation in 2 weeks as things improve.

Be safe!
J
I"m confused. You said you are giving more work and getting out more mic pres but just today you emailed me and said my 1073 was being delayed from August to October or later. So which is it? They can build a 500 series pre but not a rack mount pre?
Old 25th July 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by eh91311 View Post
I recently ordered and received 2 of the b-stock Stam 1073 500 mic pre modules direct from Stam that I saw on Stam's FB group page. I contacted Joshua directly, he confirmed that they were in stock and would ship quickly. I received tracking info from DHL within 2 days and received them about one week after they were ordered. Packaging was great, tracking thru DHL's website was updated frequently, communication between myself and Stam's customer service was excellent. They look and sound terrific.

I have bought many Stam products over the years, including the first product, the SA-2A compressor, when no one had much experience with buying gear from a person based in Chile. I have had to deal with long lead times and delays in receiving gear in the past. I've also ordered products that Stam confirmed was in stock and received them fast.

Stam is building gear by hand, not by mass-production. Long lead times and delays in the past aside, if you're willing to wait you will get gear whose performance exceeds the price of purchase.
Basically the opposite of everyone else’s experience given the amount of complaints on the web. You are “the chosen one”
Old 25th July 2020
Gear Addict

Quote:
Basically the opposite of everyone else’s experience given the amount of complaints on the web. You are “the chosen one”
"The chosen one"? No.
Here's a list of Stam Audio gear that I own:

SA-2A
SA-4000mk1
SA-87 (2)
SA-47F
1073MPA
SA-73
1073-5 (2)

baslotto, what Stam Audio gear have you purchased?
Old 25th July 2020
Lives for gear

I’ll reveal when I’ll get the 67, I have a shootout ready to go too. Looks like it’s gonna be a while before they can see a review and a comparison to more expensive gear. I’m definitely not holding my breath.
📝 Reply