The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Stam Audio 1073-5
Old 1st September 2020
Company Rep
Quote:
Originally Posted by SHIRK View Post
After a month with a pair of 1073-500‘s (Sowter OT) I feel like I know them fairly well. I’ve had them side by side with a pair of Avedis MA-5’s a friend loaned me.

Sonics comparisons:

Stam 1073-500. Rich and full with lots of nice harmonic content when pushed. They move into a saturation and then distortion gradually. It’s not too abrupt and the clipping is musical and not too harsh. The Stam feels soft up top. Not aggressive or overly pointy or bright. I would call it smooth. The bottom end has plenty or weight and thickness but not too wooly and cloudy. I look forward to trying these on drums soon. So far I’ve used them mostly on vocals and electric guitars. Mics used: vintage c12, vintage u67, sm57, transformerless sm57, km86)

Avedis MA-5

A very classy preamp. Clear and Hi-Fi. These by design are not supposed to be 1073 clones, but an extension of the 1073 design with more headroom and detail. They do just that. The bottom end is clear and full but maybe a bit less weighty than the Stam.. perhaps the difference in Output Transformers? Upper mid and high end is definitely clearer And more detailed than the Stam 1073. At first my ears thought “brighter” but upon listening.. it was just clearer up there and less smeared. My friend who owns these Ma-5’s relies on them for critical tracking and he’s right when he says, “You can’t go wrong with these... they never let me down”. They are really good sounding pres. Just not as colored as the Stam 1073 and they have a LOT more headroom.

So obviously not really an apples to apples comparison as far as sonics go.

Build quality:

The rotary switch on the MA-5 feels more solid and stiff. I haven’t looked under the hood to compare. Just going by feel. Stam feels good... not sloppy or anything just a lighter touch. Time will tell the differences here. Same goes for the push button switches. Stam feels a bit lighter and less robust. A look at the solder work on the Stam and it is very neat and tidy. The Avedis module is covered on all sides so I can’t tell you much. I trust that it is top notch given their reputation.

Again, these pres are different beasts hailing from a similar starting point. Just figured the Ma-5 could be used as a benchmark since many are familiar with it. The price points are a few hundred dollars (USD) apart. That puts the Stam 1073-500 in the excellent value department as far as I’m concerned.
I love Avedis products and the MA-5 particularly

It is a great honor for you to compare my work with his

Thank you for your review
Old 5th September 2020
Quote:
Originally Posted by baslotto View Post
Next month it will be 2 years since I ordered my SA67
Right there with you. lot's of unkept promises too, how about you?
Old 5th September 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by MGehring View Post
Right there with you. lot's of unkept promises too, how about you?
I kinda shoot myself in the foot because I asked for a tube upgrade, so it's taking a bit longer, but I don't mind too much since I have other mics I can pick from and I knew it was gonna take eons to deliver a mic that will sound perfect.

Last edited by baslotto; 5th September 2020 at 09:05 AM..
Old 8th September 2020
Quote:
Originally Posted by joshuanaconda View Post
I love Avedis products and the MA-5 particularly

It is a great honor for you to compare my work with his

Thank you for your review
I agree, Avedis makes amazing gear. Avedis himself built my MA-5's in a few days and I picked them up in person. It is great to know the people that make the gear I use day in and day out and to know they sincerely care about the end-user.
Old 8th September 2020
Gear Maniac

I ordered a 1073-5 two weeks ago via reverb. I am now in possession of it. I can see the discussion across many threads. I feel the wait will be worth it for anyone who’s still on the fence. Excellent build quality.
I truly hope they release a companion EQ or more 500 series.
McBest
Old 8th September 2020
Company Rep
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bosskitty View Post
I ordered a 1073-5 two weeks ago via reverb. I am now in possession of it. I can see the discussion across many threads. I feel the wait will be worth it for anyone who’s still on the fence. Excellent build quality.
I truly hope they release a companion EQ or more 500 series.
McBest
Thank you sir

Once we catch up with all pre-orders we might do more 500 series stuff, these are old designs we brought to summer NAM a couple of years ago and lockdown gave us an excuse to finally make them.

Thanks for leaving a positive comment.
Old 8th September 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Thank you sir

Once we catch up with all pre-orders we might do more 500 series stuff, these are old designs we brought to summer NAM a couple of years ago and lockdown gave us an excuse to finally make them.

Thanks for leaving a positive comment.
How about a rackmount 1084eq or 1081eq? It would be a nice companion to the rackmount 1073eq.

But a 500 series standalone (no preamp) eq of the 73 could be cool too. Or a standalone 81 or 84 eq.
Old 8th September 2020
Quote:

I am not immune to negative comments but I take it from who they come from if that makes sense
You "take it from who they come from"? It is by and large from people that invested in you, that believed in you, that bought into your dream and the promises you made. Does that make sense?
Old 15th September 2020
Does anyone have any audio examples to share? I’m interested in buying 2 for a parallel drum bus and vocals.
Old 16th September 2020
Gear Nut
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray Sr. View Post
Does anyone have any audio examples to share? I’m interested in buying 2 for a parallel drum bus and vocals.
There are some samples on a different forum. I would link but Gearslutz censors the name.

Just Google stam audio 1073-500 sowter
Old 16th September 2020
Thx I checked them out. They sound good. I went ahead and pulled the trigger.
Old 17th September 2020
Here for the gear

Hardware side by side?

how does the Stam compare with the Neve 1073lb?
has anyone done a side by side? can someone who has both do one?
Old 17th September 2020
Stam threads have become nothing more than an outlet for frustration. Many of these comments are just venting about things completely unrelated to this product. Some of that is earned by Stam, but isn't it time to move on, or join the threads in the Moan Zone? There are people who would genuinely like to discuss this product without the black hole of irrelevant negativism. Yes, the world, by now, understands the delivery issues -- I don't think that a 25,000th mention of that will finally wake people up.
Old 17th September 2020
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicfiend311 View Post
how does the Stam compare with the Neve 1073lb?
has anyone done a side by side? can someone who has both do one?
I don't have both but used to have the rack version of the Stam 1073EQ and now have the Neve 1073LB if that helps at all. My experience with the Stam version was that it sounded dark (I had the Sowter version) and I sorta liked what it did but it was almost a bit too "grainy" for what I was looking for. And it was definitely more noticeably noisy than I was hoping. As soon as I slightly boosted the high-end, it was kinda unusable because the noise floor was too high.

For what it's worth, I ended up selling it (and all of my Stam pieces for that matter) and got the Neve LB version and am very happy with it so far. This is exactly the sound I was after and it's not at all noisy. To Josh's credit, although all of the things I bought seemed to have some kind of quality control issue, or needed to be sent for repair upon arrival, he did cover the cost of getting things repaired. They just still weren't quite the sound I was looking for. The good news is that I was able to sell them all for about what I paid for them, so they did hold value. Though the app 76ADG apparently went up in smoke when the person received it, but that's another story...
Old 17th September 2020
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by elambo View Post
Stam threads have become nothing more than an outlet for frustration. Many of these comments are just venting about things completely unrelated to this product. Some of that is earned by Stam, but isn't it time to move on, or join the threads in the Moan Zone? There are people who would genuinely like to discuss this product without the black hole of irrelevant negativism. Yes, the world, by now, understands the delivery issues -- I don't think that a 25,000th mention of that will finally wake people up.
I agree.

I empathise with people who ordered,(another company for an entirely different electronic object) but I also see so many great things being said. So.... I can only imagine the gear to be worth the wait. The old price was ridiculous..I would sit all over it! Treat it as an investment...?
I am new to this. I am no one. Ive heard about Stam stuff for ages. Ive been on GS for a long time too.
I have 1073-5 w/Sowter two weeks now and I love it. I hope to chime in later when ive used it more. I would really like to have another one at some point sooner rather than later. Budget etc. Still a HUGE deal. I can compare it against a chandler germ, and I am close to Valhalla with both of these

I jumped on this because on the 1st page Joshua said:

Quote:
Thanks for this review. I am happy you liked the unit.

I am sorry this thread turned into a negative hole. It would have been fun to discuss the product itself

For those interested in it we decided to make 500 series units as a way to give work to friends and colleagues who either lost their job or income due to COVID-19 and needed it. I had a bunch of designs and PCB sitting at the lab and would have never had time to make them. Most of them are guitar pedal makers or amp builders. Unfortunately I can't use them on the ADF/StamChild and SA4000 due to the level of complexity of those designs but making these PCB's and other simple stuff works well.

The units are designed by us and each part I select and give to them.

It has been a nice way to put food on the table for them and a way for us to keep things moving during this long lock-down.

The rest of the team are populating backorder PCB's from home, we will hopefully resume normal operation in 2 weeks as things improve.

Be safe!
J
Can we take even two minutes to highlight some of the positive things going on here.

Best wishes to everyone.
Be safe

Last edited by Bosskitty; 18th September 2020 at 07:55 AM..
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Nut

Also ordered one sowter. Now i just need a 500er rack. Thinking about the bento 2 and add a neve 1073 lb or a stam with carnhill later.
Old 3 weeks ago
Company Rep
Quote:
Originally Posted by maldenfilms View Post
I don't have both but used to have the rack version of the Stam 1073EQ and now have the Neve 1073LB if that helps at all. My experience with the Stam version was that it sounded dark (I had the Sowter version) and I sorta liked what it did but it was almost a bit too "grainy" for what I was looking for. And it was definitely more noticeably noisy than I was hoping. As soon as I slightly boosted the high-end, it was kinda unusable because the noise floor was too high.

For what it's worth, I ended up selling it (and all of my Stam pieces for that matter) and got the Neve LB version and am very happy with it so far. This is exactly the sound I was after and it's not at all noisy. To Josh's credit, although all of the things I bought seemed to have some kind of quality control issue, or needed to be sent for repair upon arrival, he did cover the cost of getting things repaired. They just still weren't quite the sound I was looking for. The good news is that I was able to sell them all for about what I paid for them, so they did hold value. Though the app 76ADG apparently went up in smoke when the person received it, but that's another story...
I'm sorry about the troubles with your unit.

Your 1073EQ was indeed faulty and needed to be fixed. We had a bad batch back then. It also used the prior Sowter transformer, before we made the current 1777 one which is an identical replica of the Marinair LO1166 that I sent to Brian.

The 1073EQ we make has zero noise like all my units so I am certain you had an issue with an inductor from what you are describing. We addressed that issue a long time ago. It was unfortunate.

The NEVE LB is a great unit but definitely more modern sounding, the 1073EQ with Carnhills sounds the same (same transformers) but I prefer the extra low end and darker Sowter, this is personal taste of course.

The ADG now has upgraded transformers as well and it's the best 1176 I have ever made. It has a Sowter output instead of the Cinemag on the old ones which sounds drastically better on this circuit and a revised PCB.

Hopefully you can test these pieces soon, I would be happy to send one for testing, I am sure you would be very pleased. It sits in the most reputable studios around the world and the feedback has been outstanding, some clients have sold their originals which is a huge compliment and a little crazy in my book.

We have done a lot of upgrades to our engineering in the past 2 years and sonically as well. Competition is tough these days so we had to setup up our game and I am very proud with what we have achieved.

Josh
Old 1 week ago
Gear Nut

The Stam with Sowters arrived today. Such an awesome unit. Very nice with my sony C-100. Tames the upper mid bite which I had with my GAP Premiere Pre-73 (carnhill) and bigger sounding. More musical to my ears.
The stam reminds me a lot to the bae 1073 DMP which I had for testing here some weeks ago. For half the price... really a no-brainer.
Shipping was incredible fast from chile to Germany (5days). Communication was on the slowish side from Stam but in the end nothing to drastic.
Iam still searching for an other preamp to compliment darker mics. Thought about the neve lb ( which is maybe really close to the GAP but with the option to add eq later), a Stam with carnhills ( which is cheaper) or a great river mp-500nv. Any opinions on this?
Old 12 hours ago
Gear Nut

Had a neve 1073lb here for testing. In a blind shoot out I couldn't tell them apart. Maybe the stam sounds a little bit fuller and midforward.
Was a little bit confused first because the stam has a hi-z button and the neve and all other clones have a low-z button.
I had a testing unit of the neve so it was used far more but the build quality of the stam seems much better. Especially the macaroni knob.
I ordered a 1073-500 with carnhill now. So two Stams for the price of one neve lb. I think he has some left so you should order one before they are gone forever.
Joshua: Why you have a high-z button on the unit and not low-z like normal? Or are these mislabeld. High-z engaged on your unit sounds closer to low-z button engaged on the neve and vice versa
Old 4 hours ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by Griffo View Post
the stam has a hi-z button and the neve and all other clones have a low-z button.
It's just using the more common method where pushing the button engages Hi-Z. Not mislabeled.
📝 Reply