IK Multimedia releases T-RackS Space Delay plug-in - Page 2 - Gearslutz
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
IK Multimedia releases T-RackS Space Delay plug-in
Old 16th July 2020
Lives for gear

already got a few, but wow, this sounds fantastic, maybe best 201 at the moment *.

too expensive for me though, would buy , if
- it could be switched to RE 301, incl chorus and sound on sound
- the reverb sounded bigger(better?) from what i can tell from the internet
- the saturation sounds right (have to check for myself)
- the VAT would not eat the 20bucksdiscount

* one i also like a lot is Surreal Machines Magnetic, though not a 201 clone

Last edited by TonStrom; 16th July 2020 at 08:30 PM..
Old 16th July 2020
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by b0se View Post
The damn noise bursts though when trialling are so loud and frequent it makes it *really* hard to get into it.

At least give us 20 seconds.
If you leave the custom shop thing running, then there shouldn't be any noise bursts. Should be a 'fully functional' demo.
Old 16th July 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by alibling View Post
interessting, wonder how it sounds compared to audio thing outter space.

the demo sounds great
I wasn't overly impressed by Outer Space. Especially when comparing it to the Arturia version. Happy to see IK has FINALLY added a space echo to the stable.
Old 16th July 2020
Company Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by b0se View Post
The damn noise bursts though when trialling are so loud and frequent it makes it *really* hard to get into it.

At least give us 20 seconds.
We don't use sound bursts in our trial mode. That is if you are not authorized and have not started the trial.

Note you need to have Custom Shop open in the background and be connected to the internet when you try T-RackS gear. You can hit the "TRY" button in Custom Shop, leave it open, stay connected to the 'net, and bam you're all good.

Also covered in this FAQ in greater detail: https://www.ikmultimedia.com/faq/index.php?id=1353
Old 16th July 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadYodeler View Post
If you leave the custom shop thing running, then there shouldn't be any noise bursts. Should be a 'fully functional' demo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter - IK View Post
We don't use sound bursts in our trial mode. That is if you are not authorized and have not started the trial.

Note you need to have Custom Shop open in the background and be connected to the internet when you try T-RackS gear. You can hit the "TRY" button in Custom Shop, leave it open, stay connected to the 'net, and bam you're all good.

Also covered in this FAQ in greater detail: https://www.ikmultimedia.com/faq/index.php?id=1353
Ah great stuff, thanks fellas.
Old 16th July 2020
Gear Addict

Quote:
The discount is an auto-applied coupon where owners of five or more T-RackS Singles and owners of T-RackS 5 SE, T-RackS 5, T-RackS 5 Deluxe or T-RackS 5 MAX will automatically receive a 20% discount when purchasing T-RackS Space Delay through the IK Multimedia online store. This cannot be combined with JamPoints but see below for more information there.
Hey Peter, this discount scheme of yours really does not make a lot of sense. I own T-Racks 5 MAX, IK tapes, Modo Bass, Syntronik, Amplitube with a bunch of add ons (Mesa, Ampeg, etc.), IK hardware, and perhaps other stuff, and yet the discount for somebody like me is the same as for the guy who bought some measly five T-RackS plugins in a group buy for a couple of bucks. Honestly, I personally don't even care about this beyond the illogical aspect of it which tickles the little bit of OCD I'm carrying around, but I'm sure a lot of people do feel treated unfairly with a scheme like this. I think you should either give progressive discounts based on $ spent in the past, or give no discount at all. As it is, you are just pissing people off for no reason.

Also, if JamPoints can't be used in combination with the 20% discount, then at least give people a choice to use the coupon OR JamPoints! As it is, I could get the Space Echo $10 cheaper if I could just use JamPoints. Again, I don't really care about the 10 bucks here, but this makes no sense whatsoever.

Just some random 2 cents here, cheers!
Old 16th July 2020
Company Rep

The 20% is for those who might not have JamPoints. I’ve sent a note to our IT staff about the coupon not being removable for those who do have JamPoints.
Old 16th July 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by junior View Post
I wasn't overly impressed by Outer Space. Especially when comparing it to the Arturia version. Happy to see IK has FINALLY added a space echo to the stable.
I'll concede it's all objective, but Arturia's doesn't sound like a Space Echo to me. It's a cool sound and interesting in its own right, but not very Space Echo-y in my opinion. Outer Space is a lot closer.

I'll have to check this one out to see just how much more accurate it is over Outer Space. Honestly I wish this was a pedal and not a plugin. It's a shame someone still hasn't nailed the Space Echo in a pedal. There are good pedals that are Space Echo-ish, but plugin world is now getting a lot closer to it than pedal world.
Old 17th July 2020
Gear Maniac

V.I.N.CENT theme GUi I like it, its got a very distinct sound I like it.
Old 17th July 2020
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geronimos Guitar View Post
Just started to try on different sources. This is the first delay plugin that convinces me from the first second on. I own a Roland Chorus Echo, the RE-501, and the space delay gets the sounds I am familiar with with no hassle. Something I didn't achieve with Outer Space and the Arturia one. It really sounds authentic and fantastic and is easy to use. Instant buy.
I wish they had done the Chorus Echo instead of the Space Echo. I got to use a Roland Chorus Echo once at a recording studio and it is an amazing piece of gear. Having said that, I guess I can just put a chorus plugin before this. Or is it after this?
Old 17th July 2020
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by TonStrom View Post
one i also like a lot is Surreal Machines Magnetic, though not a 201 clone
Glad you mentioned that one! Yes, speaking of Roland Chorus Echo, the Surreal Machines MODNETIC is a really good emulation of it. It (and the other Surreal Machines plugin) are both 50% off right now on their website. The bundle of both together is also on sale.
Old 17th July 2020
Gear Maniac

Am I the only one who finds that the space echo interface is a bit awkward when translated into a plugin GUI? Full disclosure, I've never used the hardware... but I immensely prefer using Ableton Echo, Valhalla Delay, or really just about anything designed to be used with a mouse.
Old 17th July 2020
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by thenoodle View Post
I bought re-201s when they were first released in 76 or 77. While they seemed too clean in mixes compared to patching in an Echoplex, they were sometimes sorta ok. The reverb side of the dial was imo, worthless.

The clean nature of the re201 also made it worthless on gigs (huge gigs) in 78 imo. It simply didn't cut through like an Echoplex.

At a slightly earlier moment from the appearance of the re201, the blue mxr digital delay appeared in late 1976. I had a heads up on that one by a few months (mxr had sent me an unusual smallish 500 style enclosure with a couple of phaser flanger plug in modules....that weren't very good)....but...I bought three of the first blue digital delays from the first run.

I loaded 4 mem cards into one of the delays for max freq resp vs delay time choices.

Talk about mojo character in those blue boxes! The usability smoked anything else imo, including stuff like the deltas. The isolated ann wilson vocals on Barracuda are a four-card blue mxr.

My point? From where I was sitting in 1977?

Echo-wise (aside from standard insert of a 2trk machine on the console for slapback).... your mojo echo toolbox was complete if you had an echoplex, mxr digital delay, and in last place, re201.

That would be a holy trinity bundle here in 2020. Imo.

Anyone making the blue mxr as a plug? Haven't noticed any so far.
Thanks for sharing a great story!
Old 17th July 2020
Lives for gear

on my first test the sound is very nice. Good Job IK. The saturation is very nice.

But dont know if I really use it that often. I have Outer Space for a while and I use it here and then. Dont know yet if I want to spend 100 EUR for sth what I use here and then but have already a alternative. Need more testing for sure.

We will see ..
Old 17th July 2020
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Anyone making the blue mxr as a plug?
Audiority had interest and almost got the unit in a fair condition with all four memory slots, but the seller pulled last minute. I keep pushing them, though. They were only interested because of their Dave Gilmour inspired plugins run, though. I don't see anyone else doing it.

I think Brian May and Jaco also employed those blue and later black MXR II delay racks. shame they didn't make it to Brian May Amplitube Collection, that would be killer. I think Brian still has those in his rig. I know David does. So perhaps when David Gilmour Amplitube Collection occurs?

Quote:
your mojo echo toolbox was complete if you had an echoplex, mxr digital delay, and in last place, re201.
Lest we forget Binson Echorec. Has all the mojo anyone would want from an echo device.
Old 17th July 2020
Gear Addict

Thumbs up

Quote:
The 20% is for those who might not have JamPoints. I’ve sent a note to our IT staff about the coupon not being removable for those who do have JamPoints.
Coupon or JamPoints can now be used. Thanks Peter, appreciate the effort to make this happen!
Old 17th July 2020
Gear Addict

Everything that IK has released in regards to t-racks since the TMC is the best of the best in regards to software. The modeling/convolution they use smashes on everything.

So we have TMC, best tape plug-ins on the market.

Sunset sound, best or as good as any convolution reverb on the market, my favorite though.

I'm sure the Space delay will be the same(gonna try it later but it looks amazing from the video, by try it I mean buy it haha). Bring on the rest, eq`'s, compressors, saturators, mastering, using this new modeling/convolution. Although I want more, I don't mind them taking a little time between releases to focus and get things right, less is more/special.
Old 17th July 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadYodeler View Post
yet the discount for somebody like me is the same as for the guy who bought some measly five T-RackS plugins in a group buy for a couple of bucks.
Certainly in sympathy with your observation here, but IK only counts the plugs you actually bought in the group buy. So although I have a fair number of TRacks plugs, I'm only credited for two purchases, and of course no crossgrade discount.

EDIT: Although I now realize that these two TRacks purchases amounted to $249US, so I’m hovering between TRracks and Deluxe in spending, both of which qualify for the $20 coupon.

Last edited by vze26m98; 17th July 2020 at 04:01 PM..
Old 17th July 2020
Company Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artcutech View Post
Everything that IK has released in regards to t-racks since the TMC is the best of the best in regards to software. The modeling/convolution they use smashes on everything.

Sunset sound, best or as good as any convolution reverb on the market, my favorite though.

I'm sure the Space delay will be the same(gonna try it later but it looks amazing from the video, by try it I mean buy it haha). Bring on the rest, eq`'s, compressors, saturators, mastering, using this new modeling/convolution. Although I want more, I don't mind them taking a little time between releases to focus and get things right, less is more/special.
We do have something cool coming next for T-RackS, and other things in the works on the guitar side as well as virtual instruments.
Old 17th July 2020
Gear Maniac

Quote:
We do have something cool coming next for T-RackS, and other things in the works on the guitar side as well as virtual instruments.
Dave "Squids" Kerzner once told me he's got Binson Echorec in his studio and that he'd love IK to do an emulation of it.

Please make it happen for T-Racks and also let Echorec be the starting point in kicking off David Gilmour Amplitube Collection process.

Another relevant piece that would kill to have for T-Racks, or even just for Amplitube, is this one >>> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Or4CkNW_Ye4
Old 17th July 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artcutech View Post

Couldn 't agree more!

I did a short test against some other vintage echo emulations (Arturia, Audiority...) and IK Space Delay wins hands down. I think it is because of their convolution tech on the reverb part of the plugin.

I have great success combining sunset sounds studio reverb with Arturia Eternity plugin delay though, so I don't know if I purchase Space delay as it might not fit very well into my kind of music.

But the audio quality is second to none!
Old 17th July 2020
Company Rep

Thank you for the kind words. A lot of it has to do with our Tape Machines technology (and just to make sure minds are eased, the CPU utilization on T-RackS Space Delay is much lower than with the Tape Machines).
Old 17th July 2020
Gear Guru

Quote:
Thank you for the kind words. A lot of it has to do with our Tape Machines technology (and just to make sure minds are eased, the CPU utilization on T-RackS Space Delay is much lower than with the Tape Machines).
Cpu : is it like sunset ? If so it s cool
Old 17th July 2020
Lives for gear
Quote:
So can you now reduce tape machines CPU hit as well?!?!?! (Sorry talked yourself in to that one a bit!)
Old 17th July 2020
Gear Addict
I always love what happens in some of these threads. To note I have not tried the new IK plugin but the demos sound fantastic. But as always there is at least one person who comes out and says "this is WAY better than X" (in this case Outer Space from AudioThing). Outer Space sounds fantastic. I'm sure there is a reason to buy this one too but from what I heard in the demos the sound of this one overall didn't sound "WAY better" than Outer Space...especially $30 better.
Old 17th July 2020
Company Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeezo View Post
Cpu : is it like sunset ? If so it s cool
I see about 1/5 or so the CPU utilization (in my admittedly non-scientific test) but you really have to demo it on your system to get the correct results for you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fredouli View Post
So can you now reduce tape machines CPU hit as well?!?!?! (Sorry talked yourself in to that one a bit!)
Hardly. A full multitrack tape machine that's a giant in both size and complexity compared to the RE-201 is going to be more complex on the DSP side too. We didn't "dumb down" the Tape Machines technology to make T-RackS Space Delay more CPU efficient, we used the technology on a different, smaller-scale piece of hardware. There is a base similarity that they both use tape, but the tape machines themselves are more complex. The concepts are the same, the scale of the implementation is much different.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rezoneight View Post
I always love what happens in some of these threads. To note I have not tried the new IK plugin but the demos sound fantastic. But as always there is at least one person who comes out and says "this is WAY better than X" (in this case Outer Space from AudioThing). Outer Space sounds fantastic. I'm sure there is a reason to buy this one too but from what I heard in the demos the sound of this one overall didn't sound "WAY better" than Outer Space...especially $30 better.
I know people get attached to what they have, and I'm obviously not biased but... coming hot on the heels of Tape Machine Collection and Sunset Sound Studio Reverb, it might not be that much of a gamble to beleive this could actually be more than $30 better than others. Also, those with JamPoints can get T-RackS Space Delay for the same price as others - so getting something that builds on how IK has been hitting it out of the park with not only the tapes but with T-RackS Sunset Sound Studio Reverb for only a little bit more (or at the same exact price) that has a very good chance of being better-sounding if it stands up to the tested reputation of the plugins we've released recently before it might make many legitimately happy with the plugin.

I'd recommend trying it unless you haven't tried it for fear of finding out it sounds more than $30 better

Last edited by Peter - IK; 17th July 2020 at 11:14 PM..
Old 17th July 2020
Gear Addict

Can anyone report how many samples latency this adds?
Old 17th July 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by thenoodle View Post
I bought re-201s when they were first released in 76 or 77. While they seemed too clean in mixes compared to patching in an Echoplex, they were sometimes sorta ok. The reverb side of the dial was imo, worthless.

The clean nature of the re201 also made it worthless on gigs (huge gigs) in 78 imo. It simply didn't cut through like an Echoplex.

At a slightly earlier moment from the appearance of the re201, the blue mxr digital delay appeared in late 1976. I had a heads up on that one by a few months (mxr had sent me an unusual smallish 500 style enclosure with a couple of phaser flanger plug in modules....that weren't very good)....but...I bought three of the first blue digital delays from the first run.

I loaded 4 mem cards into one of the delays for max freq resp vs delay time choices.

Talk about mojo character in those blue boxes! The usability smoked anything else imo, including stuff like the deltas. The isolated ann wilson vocals on Barracuda are a four-card blue mxr.

My point? From where I was sitting in 1977?

Echo-wise (aside from standard insert of a 2trk machine on the console for slapback).... your mojo echo toolbox was complete if you had an echoplex, mxr digital delay, and in last place, re201.

That would be a holy trinity bundle here in 2020. Imo.

Anyone making the blue mxr as a plug? Haven't noticed any so far.
great info. in your opinio, how does this compare to actually capturing the sound of those units back then?
Old 18th July 2020
Gear Addict
Quote:

I know people get attached to what they have, and I'm obviously not biased but... coming hot on the heels of Tape Machine Collection and Sunset Sound Studio Reverb, it might not be that much of a gamble to beleive this could actually be more than $30 better than others. Also, those with JamPoints can get T-RackS Space Delay for the same price as others - so getting something that builds on how IK has been hitting it out of the park with not only the tapes but with T-RackS Sunset Sound Studio Reverb for only a little bit more (or at the same exact price) that has a very good chance of being better-sounding if it stands up to the tested reputation of the plugins we've released recently before it might make many legitimately happy with the plugin.

I'd recommend trying it unless you haven't tried it for fear of finding out it sounds more than $30 better
I have a pretty substantial plugin collection, including T-RackS Tape Machine so this has nothing to do with attachment nor do I favor one developer over another. The simple truth is Outer Space sounds great. $69 vs $99 is a huge difference from what to my ears isn't any different. For those that have a discount price there might be little reason not to go with Space Delay. For those of us who don't I don't think it's quite as clear.

I'm not saying that someone shouldn't buy Space Delay at $99, especially if they want the integration with your other products. I honestly don't care how people spend their own money. I'm specifically talking about the people who like to come into these threads and say how much better X is than Y when X is already great and costs quite a bit less than Y. To my ears the simple truth is you've got a great product that isn't substantially better than a competitor thats cheaper.
Old 18th July 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by rezoneight View Post
I have a pretty substantial plugin collection, including T-RackS Tape Machine so this has nothing to do with attachment nor do I favor one developer over another. The simple truth is Outer Space sounds great. $69 vs $99 is a huge difference from what to my ears isn't any different. For those that have a discount price there might be little reason not to go with Space Delay. For those of us who don't I don't think it's quite as clear.

I'm not saying that someone shouldn't buy Space Delay at $99, especially if they want the integration with your other products. I honestly don't care how people spend their own money. I'm specifically talking about the people who like to come into these threads and say how much better X is than Y when X is already great and costs quite a bit less than Y. To my ears the simple truth is you've got a great product that isn't substantially better than a competitor thats cheaper.
i wouldn't sweat it. knowing IKM's aggressive promotion policy, I will bet you $99 this will go on sale at 50% off by this time next year and will undercut all the competition.
📝 Reply