The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Chow Dsp Tape Emulation Plugin
Old 6th August 2020
Here for the gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by userb420 View Post
How does one download the hysterisis plugin? Is it compiled like the tape?
You'll find compiled builds for all the Complex Nonlinearities here
Old 6th August 2020
Gear Nut

Sounds great!
Old 7th August 2020
The hysterisis plugin is even better, as I don't need the tape simulation part of it. Smooths things out in a really nice way, taming the harshness of cymbals away for example. Really good for other drums and even guitar. Sort of a natural analog compression. The Exciter is excellent too and goes to a really natural gate when pushed.

Last edited by Mordae; 7th August 2020 at 10:41 AM..
Old 7th August 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mordae View Post
The hysterisis plugin is even better, as I don't need the tape simulation part of it. Smooths things out in a really nice way, taming the harshness of cymbals away for example. Really good for other drums and even guitar. Sort of a natural analog compression. The Exciter is excellent too and goes to a really natural gate when pushed.
Yeah,the Hysteresis plugin is something special,but it's unstable as fuurck
Old 7th August 2020
Quote:
Originally Posted by Idontcare View Post
Yeah,the Hysteresis plugin is something special,but it's an unstable as fuurck
The volume does seem to jump around as much as 6db or so, depending on the source signal. I haven't had any crashes, though. Too bad!
Old 7th August 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
The volume does seem to jump around as much as 6db or so, depending on the source signal. I haven't had any crashes, though. Too bad!
That's not what i meant.i've had an issue consistently in 2 different DAW's with both the VST2 and 3 builds where the plugin passes DC that can't be blocked.it then climbs to the point of beyond clipping and begins to introduce clicks and noise.if it wasn't for the ICE9 thing on my master,it would've of taken my ears out a few times already
Old 10th August 2020
Quote:
It has a width parameter which goes beyond the range of the Tape plugin. Hysterisis doesn't offer anti-aliasing as good as on Tape. I prefer Tape because of oversampling.
Old 10th August 2020
Gear Head
the hysteresis sounds a lot to me like typical saturation plugin, perhaps i need to try a greater variety of sources, but i will say again love the sound of the tape!
Old 10th August 2020
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raaphorst View Post
It has a width parameter which goes beyond the range of the Tape plugin. Hysterisis doesn't offer anti-aliasing as good as on Tape. I prefer Tape because of oversampling.
Why would you think that?
Hysteresis plugin is oversampled 32x.
Old 10th August 2020
Quote:
Originally Posted by highvoltage View Post
Why would you think that?
Hysteresis plugin is oversampled 32x.
Are you sure? Tape goes to 16 and that uses a LOT of CPU power.

Hysteresis also creates these FM like tones, not sure what is causing this. Send some high pitched sine wave through it and you can hear it.
Old 10th August 2020
Here's an example of the noise Hysterisis creates when sending a high pitched sine wave trough it. Watch out for your ears the 13 kHz tone is very loud, as well as the noise.
Attached Files

Hysteresis noises.mp3 (59.1 KB, 2378 views)

Old 10th August 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
the hysteresis sounds a lot to me like typical saturation plugin, perhaps i need to try a greater variety of sources, but i will say again love the sound of the tape!
Show me one single "typical saturation"plugin that does what Hysteresis does.they must be way under my radar,because i am not aware of anything that does what Hysteresis or the ChowTape does.not even actual tape emulations (go figure)
Old 10th August 2020
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raaphorst View Post
Are you sure? Tape goes to 16 and that uses a LOT of CPU power.

Hysteresis also creates these FM like tones, not sure what is causing this. Send some high pitched sine wave through it and you can hear it.
https://medium.com/@jatinchowdhury18...s-fdeb2cd3e3f6

Quote:
I’ve found that oversampling by a factor of 32 can mitigate aliasing artifacts down to -72 dB, regardless of the shape of the hysteresis curve.
p.s: Hysteresis plugin uses more CPU here than Tape. 15% on a 4.2GHZ core
Old 10th August 2020
Gear Head
Quote:
Show me one single "typical saturation"plugin that does what Hysteresis does.they must be way under my radar,because i am not aware of anything that does what Hysteresis or the ChowTape does.not even actual tape emulations (go figure)
Heh I'll give it another go, what I like about the chow is that it limits the bandwidth and when using the bias sounds like dynamic eq. What's a typical use for the hysteresis plugin for you besides outright distortion/overdrive?
Old 10th August 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Heh I'll give it another go, what I like about the chow is that it limits the bandwidth and when using the bias sounds like dynamic eq. What's a typical use for the hysteresis plugin for you besides outright distortion/overdrive?

You can accomplish the same thing with Hysteresis though.just set the width close to 1.00,set drive and sat to taste and feed it EQ with a high shelf beforehand.it's obviously missing the Repro curve to mimic the tape.

Not sure what you are doing with it for it overdrive.the saturation it does is nothing like clipping,it's more like an absorbent sponge.if you think about it in those terms,and couple it with an EQ,you can probably see the plethora of uses you can get out of it.oh,and yeah it does need oversampling most definitely.it gets a bit jagged when you push it too hard on high impulses without it
Old 11th August 2020
Gear Maniac

Quote:
still not sure what exactly the point of the ips,gap,thickness and spacing is there for.they all do the exact same thing which is to introduce a static delay and comb filter the spectrum.none of them seem to interact differently with the model at all.
Spacing actually sounds a bit like some kind of phase distortion to me, the rest of loss section's parameters does sound like a flavor of comb filtering though.

Other than that, I do love the way this sounds, I think it tames the high end beautifully. I don't even take it to the extreme and just tend to use it in a very subtle way: very high bias settings, 40-50% drive and 10 o'clock saturation with some very subtle tape degradation, flutter and wow dialed in to taste. It sure can get all warbly and nasty if you want it to be, especially when you start to play around with the loss and chew sections, which is probably what they're primarily intended for i.e. nasty sonic mayhem, but it's even better as a very subtle sweetener of sorts, it really does sound sweet. I do hope the developer continues to develop this, this is very tasty and promising.

Last edited by mickey13; 11th August 2020 at 08:04 PM..
Old 12th August 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickey13 View Post
Spacing actually sounds a bit like some kind of phase distortion to me, the rest of loss section's parameters does sound like a flavor of comb filtering though.

Other than that, I do love the way this sounds, I think it tames the high end beautifully. I don't even take it to the extreme and just tend to use it in a very subtle way: very high bias settings, 40-50% drive and 10 o'clock saturation with some very subtle tape degradation, flutter and wow dialed in to taste. It sure can get all warbly and nasty if you want it to be, especially when you start to play around with the loss and chew sections, which is probably what they're primarily intended for i.e. nasty sonic mayhem, but it's even better as a very subtle sweetener of sorts, it really does sound sweet. I do hope the developer continues to develop this, this is very tasty and promising.
I'll play with spacing again,but i pretty much don't touch any of the others as i have confirmed for sure they are all just comb filtering the input

Yeah this thing is great the input stage is nasty though and i think that's more to do with the deck that he modelled,rather than anything to do with the modelling itself.wondering how much better this thing could sound if somebody gave him a prosumer/midgrade deck like an Otari or Tascam.
Old 12th August 2020
Lives for gear
I believe Jatin has access to a high-end Ampex or Studer (can’t remember), it’d be beyond amazing if he could model it.
Old 12th August 2020
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by nil hartman View Post
I believe Jatin has access to a high-end Ampex or Studer (can’t remember), it’d be beyond amazing if he could model it.
I really do hope Jatin continues to develop plugins, especially tape emulations, as he clearly knows what he's doing. If he emulated another tape machine with even more options as well as customizability and then released it for a modest price, it would sell like hot cakes for sure.
Old 12th August 2020
Lives for gear
I too would pay nice money for a ChowDSP « mastering » tape machine, with a limited feature-set though (think Softube Tape rather than Satin, even if I own and love both). A set and forget plugin to put on tracks / busses /mixes / whatever.
Old 12th August 2020
Gear Nut

Great stuff mr coder!
Hysteresis plugin is tested too, great!, but will it ever be released with the choice of amount of oversampling?
Kinda weird to ask since your plugins are free.
Old 23rd August 2020
Gear Guru
Great thread polite for a change!
Congrats to Chow!!
Old 23rd August 2020
Here for the gear
Very nice plugin, thank you.
Old 24th August 2020
Here for the gear
New Update

From KVR:

Quote:
Hey all,

Just finished version 2.5 of CHOW Tape, as always, you can download the latest builds from GitHub.

Along with a few bug fixes, I've made some improvements to the wow/flutter processing, as well as improving the performance of the Newton-Raphson modes. I've also adjusted the signal flow regarding the dry/wet processing, so the input and output gain controls only apply to the wet signal. Finally, I've set up the plugin to automatically alert users when a new update is available. As a plugin user myself, I find constant update alerts kind of annoying, so I've tried to do this in a way that is fairly unobtrusive. That said, if it seems that people don't like the update alerts, I'm happy to remove this feature.

Finally, I noticed this morning that CHOW Tape has been downloaded over 5,000 times! As someone who still primarily makes plugins for my own personal use and enjoyment, I never imagined anywhere near this level of interest (especially since I've done basically zero "marketing"). Thanks to all of you for continually providing encouragement, inspiration, and indispensible feedback. I'm expecting to be a bit busier with my day job in the coming weeks so I'm not sure when the next updates will come, but I'm excited to keep working on this plugin and more!

Thanks,
Jatin
Old 24th August 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:

Repository: jatinchowdhury18/AnalogTapeModel · Tag: v2.5.0 · Commit: 6236290 · Released by: jatinchowdhury18

Release version 2.5.0. Update include:

- Updated delay lines in wow/flutter processing to use 3-point Lagrange interpolation.
- Change Newton-Raphson solver to use 4 or 8 iterations, in unrolled loop.
- Adjust signal flow so that input/output gains apply only to the wet signal.
- Added simple behavior to automatically check for updates.
- Improved loss filter sliders.
- Fixed tooltip name sometimes not appearing.
- Fixed save/load bug for VST3 in Ableton.

This release has 5 assets:

- CHOWTape-Mac-2.5.0.zip
- CHOWTape-Win32-2.5.0.zip
- CHOWTape-Win64-2.5.0.zip
- Source code (zip)
- Source code (tar.gz)

Visit the release page to download them.
https://github.com/jatinchowdhury18/...ses/tag/v2.5.0
Old 24th August 2020
Gear Head

Sounds good
Old 24th August 2020
DSK
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardis View Post
Great thread polite for a change!
Congrats to Chow!!
No money, no camps involved. Less stakes, less arguing
Old 24th August 2020
Gear Guru
Quote:
Originally Posted by DSK View Post
Maybe the developer is a nice guy and brings good Karma...!
Old 24th August 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSK View Post
Interesting point. Reminds me how Analog Obsession plugins are being received since he went Patreon!

It's a knockout plugin that we're all very lucky to have!
Old 24th August 2020
Gear Guru
There are wonderful people that do this for the love of the craft. TDR was founded by a dream team of them. Air windows etc.

Honestly anyone willing to put their knowledge and hard earned money into developing these great tools for us deserves respect. They could be making a lot more in other fields...
📝 Reply