The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Aberrant DSP "ShapeShifter" (Character compressor)
Old 2nd August 2020
Lives for gear

I think the "detail"people are loving with this is probably the upwards compression it's probably new to a lot of people as its not something that many plugins do.when you first discover it it sounds really impressive,almost analog?as it brings up detail from the lower parts of the dynamic range without the need to clip them or murder your transients.you'll discover fast though that upwards comp whilst impressive is incredibly fickle and yeah i agree with whoever said this plugins dynamic action sounds "nervous"describes it quite well.i don't like what it does to transients at all could benefit from a bit of lookahead and i think dialling the mix down is just disguising some of that nervousness.how the tone knob and comp interact is a bit annoying as well because linear isn't where you would think it would be.
Old 2nd August 2020
Gear Maniac
Nervous can also be a good thing once in a while
Old 2nd August 2020 | Show parent
Lives for gear

Hi guys, totally appreciate the discussion about that subject and want to thank you for giving your opinions and thoughts. That´s actually (at least for me) what makes a forum an interesting place.

I agree that the upward compression can be fascinating and that it can result in strong overuse at first.

Here is another mix approach, which is basical more practical. Used SSL 4000E on every track using a bit of HP and LP filter and just a bit of EQ and a tad od compression. Some Softube Tape and Reverb, FET compressor, Valley People compressor as well as the Chandler Germanium. Bluesbreaker on guitar, Eden WT on bass. Shapeshifter was used on parallel send busses this time only, while 100% wet to dial in the tones I like or want to emphasize and then dialed in the amount of that effect with the AUX tracks to add to the original tracks in parallel.

I realized that it´s nearly impossible (at least I couldn´t find a way) to retain the original sound if the signal is driven directly into Shapeshifter. It already does something of its own, even if mix is a 0,0 percentage. Especially the low end is affected very dramatically. There seems to work some serious HP-filters under the hood and I really wished that could be handled in detail manually within the plugin.

It can add very much agression and (maybe some think its hectic) cool fast dynamic action, which I totally dig and like, and it´s a weapon on a room-track.

Although I made it a bit louder than I usually would, so you can make it out better, the examples now are much more subtle. Hopefully you can make out the differences. I´d recommend using Headphones cause the MP3 conversion surely swallowed a lot.

a)
3 instances of ShapeShifter OFF

b)
3 parallel routed instances of ShapeShifter ON
- Bass and Kick
- Drum-Room (complete kit)
- Percussion (the bongo like sound and the zap like sound on the left)

Enjoy and feel free to post what you think and like and dislike. Thank you
Attached Files

Mix without ShapeShifter.mp3 (790.4 KB, 3934 views)

Mix with Shapeshifter.mp3 (790.4 KB, 4012 views)

original.mp3 (811.1 KB, 3847 views)

I really like this nervous plugin, just for the simple reason that it's doing it's own thing and is fun to use. I could care less whether it has any relation to anything analog or that it might be completely useless 80% of the time... it's a fun, cheap little plugin. Anyone who is looking for something else from this is completely missing the point.

Sketchcassette has been a complete game changer for me. In my indie rock world, every artist I've shown it to has gone on to buy it themselves... no lie... I think I must be responsible for 8 sales of that plugin since I got it last December. The kids love it... I'm going to buy every plugin this developer makes 'til the end of time, simply out of gratitude for how much I love Sketchcassette.
Lives for gear

Yeah this is a little gem.

No more po faced photographs of bakerlite knobs for me!

One thing this does well amongst many things is that 'dial in compressed parallel saturated 'blooming' upper to high content' that has eluded me with other plug ins. I think when you start messing around, everything sounds instantly great - as mentioned with the expansion - but the art is to learn what's what - then mix it in carefully.

I had a handful of favourite known names buss compressors that maybe have been instantly retired for a $20 indie !
Old 3rd August 2020 | Show parent
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by nichttuntun View Post
I realized that it´s nearly impossible (at least I couldn´t find a way) to retain the original sound if the signal is driven directly into Shapeshifter. It already does something of its own, even if mix is a 0,0 percentage. Especially the low end is affected very dramatically. There seems to work some serious HP-filters under the hood and I really wished that could be handled in detail manually within the plugin.
It's the tone knob.it's very difficult to make it linear when you engage the global ratio beyond a certain amount.also changing the envelope contours seems to have a perceived effect on the spectrum too.it's not a HP,but rather a gentle low shelf.it's engaged when you open the thing because of the setting on the ratio knob.even setting the tone knob to the centre doesn't make it linear.there's still the lowshelf and if i recall either a rise in the mids or a highshelf which increases exponentially.when you dial in the ratio to and threshold to favour the upwards comp it makes the mids incredibly nasty and i can still hear it when i dial the mix down(just feels like by dialling the mix down i am just trying to draw attention away from it,but it's there regardless).it's a very strange plugin and a hard pass for me.as i said in the PM i already have my options for upwards comp and i don't like the distortion part of it either.
Old 3rd August 2020
Gear Head

I’m very happy with it myself.

Nervous probably suits what I’m going for more often than for most people as someone with anxiety who makes moody edm. It’s not something I’d highly recommend to mix engineers necessarily, but for anyone more focused on sound design, yeah sure. It might not be the tool for every compression need, but I sure love it when it is. It has a kind of lo-fi quality to it that I appreciate. I’ve been thinking of it less like I usually think of a compressor and more like an odd little colour box that is also going to wildly squish everything if I let it.

No complaints from me for $20. I have some well respected clean comps I’ve paid more for that I’ve maybe got less use out of and certainly had less fun with. I ended up with 6 new compressors last month (woops) and shapeshifter is both my favourite and most used of the bunch (at least so far).

“Strange plugin” seems quite a reasonable label but I think that’s pretty much it’s selling point.
Old 4th August 2020 | Show parent
Treating this like you would an Omnipressor, 610, or Valley People and approaching it accordingly makes a huge difference in its usability.
Gear Addict

Just bought both plugins. I have no idea where Shapeshifter installed to? Unless I'm missing something, the installer doesn't give you an option to choose installation path, or show you where it's installing.
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by briefcasemanx View Post
Just bought both plugins. I have no idea where Shapeshifter installed to? Unless I'm missing something, the installer doesn't give you an option to choose installation path, or show you where it's installing.
It's VST3 ONLY.

So, look for your VST3 folder.
Gear Addict

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Tan View Post
It's VST3 ONLY.

So, look for your VST3 folder.
Whoops, I'm an idiot.
Old 4th August 2020
Gear Head

I wonder if it works in a similar way to GoodHertz Vulf compressor
Old 4th August 2020
Lives for gear

Try it on a snare reverb send. Use a dynamic EQ to duck the reverb on the snare 'hit' and set Shapeshifter to 'draw' the reverb up. So thick and gooey. While you're at add automate the drive knob to ramp up distortion on the tail as it fades. Sure...it's tedious sound design but soooo worth it!
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinisterbr View Post
I love Vulf! All Goodhertz stuff is underrated. Check out the filters in Tilt for example. If you need to automate HP/LP (even extreme uses on synths etc) I've not found anything better.
Quote:
Originally Posted by b0se View Post
I love Vulf! All Goodhertz stuff is underrated. Check out the filters in Tilt for example. If you need to automate HP/LP (even extreme uses on synths etc) I've not found anything better.
and megaverb is steller!

hopefully going to try this plugin out soon though. seen a a few reviews popping up on youtube recommendation.
Old 5th August 2020
Gear Maniac

This thing smashes drums so good. Just bought it - totally worth the $20.
Old 5th August 2020
Gear Nut

Bought it, great innovative company. Great price. As it should be.
Whats next? a dynamic EQ approach combined with their saturation models for extra coloration?
Old 8th August 2020 | Show parent
Quote:
Originally Posted by aberrantdsp View Post
SketchCassette is getting a major update later this year that will include a bunch of new features, bug fixes, and a new universally compatible preset system similar to the one in ShapeShifter. This update has required moving SketchCassette over to the new framework we're on which is taking some time, but we're looking to have the update out in the Fall.

This update will be free for all existing SketchCassette users. We'll also most likely be raising the price for new customers (to around $30) since all the added features will add a lot of value to the plug. Hope that helps!
This is great news. I’m an enthusiastic user, so I’m looking forward to the new features. There is an issue in Maschine that prevents SketchCassette from remembering the settings of previous sessions, it would be great if you could do something about that on your side since Native Instruments are not exactly stellar with their updates and bug fixes.
Old 8th August 2020
Lives for gear

Thumbs up

This plugin is hitting it hard

Been on most of the tracks (100/580) I have worked on during the last couple of weeks.

$20 (no brainer)
Old 8th August 2020 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Idontcare View Post
I think the "detail"people are loving with this is probably the upwards compression it's probably new to a lot of people as its not something that many plugins do.when you first discover it it sounds really impressive,almost analog?as it brings up detail from the lower parts of the dynamic range without the need to clip them or murder your transients.you'll discover fast though that upwards comp whilst impressive is incredibly fickle and yeah i agree with whoever said this plugins dynamic action sounds "nervous"describes it quite well.i don't like what it does to transients at all could benefit from a bit of lookahead and i think dialling the mix down is just disguising some of that nervousness.how the tone knob and comp interact is a bit annoying as well because linear isn't where you would think it would be.
What plugin would you use for upwards compression instead?
Old 9th August 2020
Lives for gear

For me I've found that setting the parameters while at 100% wet allows me to push shapeshifter to the brink of meltdown and then dial it back anywhere from 2-15% on the mix knob is magic on percussive instruments. Especially great for me on drum OHs and room to bring out the body of the snare or toms without introducing too much unwanted low-end.

I drive options come into play once I have the wet dry ratio working. I then use the drive to kind of 'melt' the sounds together. Sorta like how you can use noise to mask gate 'chatter'.

The honeymoon is over and shapeshifter is still in the house!
Old 12th August 2020
Here for the gear

Great job guys, you made a great product! I bought it after just watching the video demonstration (it shows well all the potential of the plugin). "Finally someone who made a new upward/downward multiband compressor significantly more flexible than the xfer's OTT I thought. the panel dedicated to distortion/saturation can be used both as an effect and, as I will always use it: in a soft way, just to give warmth to the sounds. I expect a lot from you guys after this plugin, If the next one is a 4-band shapeshifter version with independent parameters for each band? then yes than you will capture my heart!

Fabrizio
Old 18th August 2020
Great video if you, like me, did not have much practice with upwards compression prior to this plugin. Also, it's Dan Worrall, so you should probably just watch it anyway.

Old 1 week ago | Show parent
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinisterbr View Post
I see Vulf is on sale. I don't own it, but I do own Shapeshifter (and Sketch).

I'm able to get incredibly close to Vulf with shapershifter. I follow shapeshifter with DS-10 (transient designer) and a low pass filter.

Both are fantastic, but I don't think I need Vulf having Shapeshifter.
📝 Reply