The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Aberrant DSP "ShapeShifter" (Character compressor)
Old 20th July 2020
Gear Maniac

Holy Schnitzel! This is one of a kind. Character all over. Bought it. Thank you.
Old 20th July 2020
Lives for gear

Damn. Whacked this on a synth—after a ping pong delay—and the atmosphere it added was so good, it replaced both a reverb and supporting ambient FX (for a particular section).

I like what you can do to transients with this thing too. A steal at $20.
Old 22nd July 2020
Gear Head
Quote:
Originally Posted by nichttuntun View Post
Hi, on which audio material you are using SketchCassette on the 2-bus? thx
I'm a fan of using Sketch on shimmery synth tracks and pluck bass guitar. In my opinion Sketch rounds out the sounds of those instruments as close to real analog cassettes as I've found in a plug in. I also like to overdrive the inputs a bit.

I am making a comparison of identical tracks run through SketchCassette and then separately through ShapeShifter. The combo may also be thrown in their, as I've already found both compliment each other on the same track.
Old 22nd July 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampsynth View Post
I'm a fan of using Sketch on shimmery synth tracks and pluck bass guitar. In my opinion Sketch rounds out the sounds of those instruments as close to real analog cassettes as I've found in a plug in. I also like to overdrive the inputs a bit.

I am making a comparison of identical tracks run through SketchCassette and then separately through ShapeShifter. The combo may also be thrown in their, as I've already found both compliment each other on the same track.
Do feel free to share some example files
Old 24th July 2020
This thing reminds me of the Eventide Omnipressor, but with much more easily dialed-in good results (I always found the Omnipressor a hit or miss, albeit very fun, box).
Old 24th July 2020
Gear Maniac

"Charakter Compressor", yes, this thing has its own charakter! Love it on drums!
Old 24th July 2020
Gear Nut

Agreed. I might finally be able to retire SoundToys Devil Loc Deluxe. Love that thing but sooo noisy.
Old 24th July 2020
Lives for gear

Hi guys, just like to share 2 more examples with you as I am really amazed by this awesome tool.

a) Shapeshifter on a Drum-Bus
b) Shapeshifter on a Guitar-Bus

Files starts without Shapeshifter and with it after some bars, than on and off and in the end solo on and off on the treated tracks.

Please excuse the maybe bad frequencies and volume-choices. This was completele made on cheap Logitech PC-monitors and an awful sounding smudging everything Logitech Sub (alltogether 50 bucks). I didn´t re-check via Headphones. I overdid it for demonstration purposes and I normally wouldn´t use such a tool on the sum of a group-track. Although I think with a bit of tweaking this may sound really good if Mix is only subtle. But one can imagine the power Shapeshifter would provide in mixing while processing single instruments tracks.
Enjoy
Attached Files

Shapeshifter Drums.mp3 (1.89 MB, 3362 views)

Shapeshifter Guitar.mp3 (2.32 MB, 3363 views)

Old 25th July 2020
Lives for gear

Try the preset 'Huge + Punchy' on Drum Room and dial in to taste. Retired a few plugins in the chain and got a better result faster.
Old 25th July 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by JfromRVA View Post
Try the preset 'Huge + Punchy' on Drum Room and dial in to taste. Retired a few plugins in the chain and got a better result faster.
It's awesome on drum rooms. The above examples where screwed together in minutes and without a real mixing situation, I want even in a real DAW. Shapeshifter in a mixing session, properly routed and setup and monitored is a killer. Btw, I never use presets The best preset I know is the 'init' preset Cheers
Old 25th July 2020
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Hi guys, just like to share 2 more examples with you as I am really amazed by this awesome tool.

a) Shapeshifter on a Drum-Bus
b) Shapeshifter on a Guitar-Bus

Files starts without Shapeshifter and with it after some bars, than on and off and in the end solo on and off on the treated tracks.

Please excuse the maybe bad frequencies and volume-choices. This was completele made on cheap Logitech PC-monitors and an awful sounding smudging everything Logitech Sub (alltogether 50 bucks). I didn´t re-check via Headphones. I overdid it for demonstration purposes and I normally wouldn´t use such a tool on the sum of a group-track. Although I think with a bit of tweaking this may sound really good if Mix is only subtle. But one can imagine the power Shapeshifter would provide in mixing while processing single instruments tracks.
Enjoy
*if you don't want people to stop buying plugins..please never do more examples

interesting plugin
Old 25th July 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by killme View Post
*if you don't want people to stop buying plugins..please never do more examples

interesting plugin
Haha. So bad? As well as on the drum track as on the guitar track it's clearly audible how crazy good ShapeShifter enhances transients, cleans up mud and lifts sonics upward. In the meantime I checked with Sennheiser HD 650.
My example, especially the production conditions, are even a further reason to buy. Use your imagination. If you got such awesome results within minutes on the fly under such bad monitoring conditions...you get the point by now? What will auch a tool be able to offer a gifted mix engineer under perfect conditions...

Btw, I love your smiley. This is a symbol for the end of all intellectual constructive exchange. Yeah, we are in a forum here. Who would expect such a manner? So that smiley perfectly represents what's often going on in a forum. But it reminds people like me about why we went here in the first place. *interesting plugin* or *I love it on drums* or *best plugin ever* of course makes things absolutely clear. Especially clear that it's more easy to post a facepalm smiley than actually being involved into an intellectual, reflected process. Enjoy
Old 25th July 2020
Gear Maniac

does it share similarities (regarding the results not necessarely the applied methods to get there) with Sknote's AnyGauss ?
Old 25th July 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Btw, I never use presets The best preset I know is the 'init' preset Cheers
I don't really get the swipe at presets when it comes to these types of forward thinking plugs? Sure, give me and standard EQ and Compressor and I'm familiar enough to just start turning the knobs (DSM and Unisum excluded).

Why not try a preset on a source developed by the folks that dialed in the algo? Shapershifter is unique and I learn how to use it faster by trusting the guys that developed it to get me in the ballpark with a well crafted preset.

Like Saturn 2, Unisum, and now shapeshifter, I will give a shout out to the guys (very well accomplished guys from these threads as well) for taking the time to build well thought out and executed presets to highlight the capabilities of these fantastic plugs.
Old 25th July 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
I don't really get the swipe at presets when it comes to these types of forward thinking plugs? Sure, give me and standard EQ and Compressor and I'm familiar enough to just start turning the knobs (DSM and Unisum excluded).

Why not try a preset on a source developed by the folks that dialed in the algo? Shapershifter is unique and I learn how to use it faster by trusting the guys that developed it to get me in the ballpark with a well crafted preset.

Like Saturn 2, Unisum, and now shapeshifter, I will give a shout out to the guys (very well accomplished guys from these threads as well) for taking the time to build well thought out and executed presets to highlight the capabilities of these fantastic plugs.
Well. I think it's a good way to learn a complex plugin like a modular synth emulation or maybe a compressor as deep as Unisum. Always a good starting point to use presets there. Or even save own presets as reference points to start from there. I think that's simply not necessary with such a non-complex plugin like Shapeshifter. I see another thing there. Using presets simply drags your attention away from the actual sound experience. And here indeed every single situation is different. And therefore needs a different and special attention from you. Drawing a preset you expect somethings. Such a process draws away your attention and you might focus on certain things and easily lose the oversight for the whole context. Mixing in context with at least 2 other tracks and dialing those few parameters without expecting something will give you surprising results which you possibly may find way more fitting your mix than a preset. No one knows your track, noone knows your taste or preferences. Another advantage of this build from scratch approach may be that you truly learn the plugin 100% by yourself, which will give you amazing results after some times of using it again and again. I do not claim this the only and best method. It's one of many and all may work for you. This is the approach I learned the most out of so far and it has the most rewarding results on the long run. The best thing for me here is that I keep my beginners mind (complete open, not expecting mind) and can 100% dial in myself to the vibe of the track. This is my way of learning each time I'm using and not just rely. So the output is always fresh and not categorized, like a preset. A preset will often push you into a certain direction. Not using presets is like keep on playing with things while being free in choices. Try it
Old 25th July 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by UltraByte View Post
does it share similarities (regarding the results not necessarely the applied methods to get there) with Sknote's AnyGauss ?
I'm not deep enough into AnyGauss to answer that, sorry. I started stopping to use Quintos plugins some time ago, except for AnyTesla (I think it has its drawbacks like all of his plugins, but it's unique though).
Old 25th July 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Well. I think it's a good way to learn a complex plugin like a modular synth emulation or maybe a compressor as deep as Unisum. Always a good starting point to use presets there. Or even save own presets as reference points to start from there. I think that's simply not necessary with such a non-complex plugin like Shapeshifter. I see another thing there. Using presets simply drags your attention away from the actual sound experience. And here indeed every single situation is different. And therefore needs a different and special attention from you. Drawing a preset you expect somethings. Such a process draws away your attention and you might focus on certain things and easily lose the oversight for the whole context. Mixing in context with at least 2 other tracks and dialing those few parameters without expecting something will give you surprising results which you possibly may find way more fitting your mix than a preset. No one knows your track, noone knows your taste or preferences. Another advantage of this build from scratch approach may be that you truly learn the plugin 100% by yourself, which will give you amazing results after some times of using it again and again. I do not claim this the only and best method. It's one of many and all may work for you. This is the approach I learned the most out of so far and it has the most rewarding results on the long run. The best thing for me here is that I keep my beginners mind (complete open, not expecting mind) and can 100% dial in myself to the vibe of the track. This is my way of learning each time I'm using and not just rely. So the output is always fresh and not categorized, like a preset. A preset will often push you into a certain direction. Not using presets is like keep on playing with things while being free in choices. Try it
I see. Gotcha. For you it is kind of philosophical. Cool. We will leave it at that.
Old 26th July 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
I see. Gotcha. For you it is kind of philosophical. Cool. We will leave it at that.
Far more than that. It's actually the most practical approach as working intensively from scratch each time, with something you paid for, will give you maximized profit in the end.
Old 27th July 2020
Lives for gear

Not sure if I weighed in yet here, but this is good.
Old 28th July 2020
Lives for gear

Bought. :-)
Old 28th July 2020
Lives for gear

Hi guys, some new examples, this time I routed the DrumMachine on 6 seperated tracks and added a bass and a guitar. I used one room on the percussion/drum and one on the guitar. I left the bass dry.

a) First mix is without any ShapeShifter...
b) Second mix is with ShapeShifter on every of the 6 DrumMachine tracks, the guitar, the bass and the two rooms.

I mainly used ShapeShifter to bring forth or move sounds backwarde, up and down, to tame transients or to lift them up as well as bring along rythmic movement. There is nothing on the 2-bus.

Absolutely no EQ or other plugins where used, not even a HP- nor a LP-filter. No resonance filtering or whatsoever. Every single track of this rough-mix was solely treated with each an instance of the absolute lovely ShapeShifter. This is by no means a finished mix. It´s just a short demonstration of the power of ShapeShifter.
Look out for the sheer amount of details the plugin brings to life and how it is able in a mix content to seperate the single tracks so every detail gets its own place (pocket). I think I wouldn´t do as much in a real mix but for demonstration purpose I tweaked a bit more than usual.

I wish very much, this awesome tool would get a HP and a LP filter for further enjoyment in a future update. Enjoy
Attached Files

nO SHapeShIFteR.mp3 (811.1 KB, 1871 views)

aLL SHapeShIFteR.mp3 (811.1 KB, 1896 views)

Old 29th July 2020
Quote:
Hi guys, some new examples, this time I routed the DrumMachine on 6 seperated tracks and added a bass and a guitar. I used one room on the percussion/drum and one on the guitar. I left the bass dry.
The "after" example sounded exactly like my own experiments: everything has a scratchy, nervous edge to it and the low end has disappeared. Of course one could dial back the mix knob or other settings but to me a compressor has to sound convincing when 100% wet. I love the GUI and functionality of ShapeShifter but the sound...not yet.
Old 29th July 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncovered Pitch View Post
The "after" example sounded exactly like my own experiments: everything has a scratchy, nervous edge to it and the low end has disappeared. Of course one could dial back the mix knob or other settings but to me a compressor has to sound convincing when 100% wet. I love the GUI and functionality of ShapeShifter but the sound...not yet.
Hey thank you for your feedback. Appreciate that. Yes, I do miss the bass pungent completely too. But I overused it completely here also. I never would use it on every single track and for sure not solely. This is an experiment where I limited myself only to Shapeshifter. What it can do is awesome and in a mix of will definitely be a secret weapon on one or two tracks. The second track should be played louder. Sorry, no level match done. The first one is a mess. Everything is pushing everything aside. I think now if I had kept the foundation of the bass, the second one would be quite good. The difference regarding the guitar and many other small things are astonishing. Cheers

I want a HP/LPF mainly
Old 29th July 2020
Lives for gear

I jumped on the hype train and apart from the very inviting interface,i am not sure what everybody is in awe of here.the upwards compressor sounds a bit odd for lack of a better word and the compressor doesn't sound particularly special either.the distortion breaks up far too quickly as well and introducing bias does something unpleasant to the high mids,besides introducing a bias.it doesn't seem to be aliasing related,but more of an increased sensitivity to them(pre-post EQ behind the scenes maybe?)i only kept SketchCassette for the noise reduction comp as i didn't find the "tape"saturation(the use of this term is getting far too liberal with plugins) to be particularly special in that either
Old 29th July 2020
Lives for gear

Shape Shifter is a cool plug and provides 'shaping / warping / overload!' in a nifty GUI. It's fun! I like that it goes to 1000% and even the smallest amount will get the job done. Here a screenshot of the settings I use to 'glue' my Drum VI cymbal bus. I find that it 'pulls' them together effortlessly and I only need 2-4% wet/dry to make them sound more 'real' and less perfect. Works great at around the same settings on snare samples that I might have tucked in the mix. Pulls the body up without adding to much attack. I dig it!
Attached Thumbnails
Aberrant DSP "ShapeShifter" (Character compressor)-vi-cymbal-glue.png  
Old 29th July 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Idontcare View Post
I jumped on the hype train and apart from the very inviting interface,i am not sure what everybody is in awe of here.the upwards compressor sounds a bit odd for lack of a better word and the compressor doesn't sound particularly special either.the distortion breaks up far too quickly as well and introducing bias does something unpleasant to the high mids,besides introducing a bias.it doesn't seem to be aliasing related,but more of an increased sensitivity to them(pre-post EQ behind the scenes maybe?)i only kept SketchCassette for the noise reduction comp as i didn't find the "tape"saturation(the use of this term is getting far too liberal with plugins) to be particularly special in that either
It's not a workhorse IMO, but has a unique flavor I can see myself reaching for occasionally. That's plenty for me for 20 bucks.
Old 29th July 2020
Lives for gear

Please keep in mind that this is not a real mix situation I tried to simulate with Shapeshifter. It's just an extreme kind of experiment where I limited myself to only use this one plugin on every source and with massive settings. The lowest mix - button setting is around 50%, most tracks had up to 80% mix intensity. I still think this a fantastic bang for the buck and it will do a great job if you need it on certain sounds in a dense mix.

PS
learned another important lesson. Never put a recording online on the same evening after making it.
Old 30th July 2020
Lives for gear

Thumbs up

Such a great plugin, used it on 21 tracks so far.

Perfect for small tweaks here, there and everywhere.

Big fan of the SketchCassette also.
Old 2nd August 2020
Lives for gear

Wow, trying this with the Scheps rear bus method, buss with everything but drums, this thing is very cool for this, then slap on the cassette thing or hg2 tube plug with it on the rear bus, then start playing with settings, bring that output down where you don't hear much of a volume boost at all, but you will hear gobs of rich and thick milkshake sound come in to your mix.

You can imagine how many sound option there are with this and the cassette plug on a rear bus, you can play for hours.
Old 2nd August 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncovered Pitch View Post
Couldn't disagree more, the first sounds dark, LIFELESS, BOR8NG, NON 3D WITH NOTHING interesting.

The Shapeshifter made it far far far more interesting and full of life, groove, detail, and each instrument could be concentrated on in isolation.

The amount of bottom end is simply a personal choice and didn't at all take away from the rest of the great things that changed. I too would keep more bottom end or even add more back with a surgical eq so amount of bottom is easily set to taste and is not even close to a reason not to do the rest of what was done.

Scratchy?. Sounded like saturation to me and exactly what I would prefer to hear by far over the dark, lifeless 2d example in the first one.
📝 Reply