The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Aberrant DSP "ShapeShifter" (Character compressor)
Old 12th July 2020
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by PierreJoseff View Post
the saturation is top quality and it's light on cpu
Yelp, important info I think, Aberrant could mention this,
pretty neat on mixing stage.

I can`t remember to have had a demo and purchase that quick,
really well done .
Old 12th July 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by motomotomoto View Post
I keep seeing OTT mentioned. How does this one sound in comparison?
It’s similar in the ease of upward compression. It sounds different and is more editable. OTT is still good if you need a hammer. This is a whole box of tools.
Old 13th July 2020
It's an incredible tool. I was just telling a colleague that I'm pretty sure I could mix a full tune with only this plugin. It's that flexible and powerful.
Old 13th July 2020
Gear Head

Sketch Cassette is a phenomenal plugin. No reason this shouldn't be either. Sounds fantastic. Think I'll buy! Love creative/character filled stuff like this.
Old 13th July 2020
Gear Addict

love this plugin! bought Sketch as well. very excited to see what this company does next.

need a toggle for presets though! clicking the drop down menu/sub menus is a bit cumbersome. overall though i can see these two getting a lot of use. think i might try instantiating both on my master bus this week and starting some songs from scratch into them.
Old 13th July 2020
Gear Maniac

I would also really like a demo for this plugin..

I'm not the type to just watch a video and buy
Old 13th July 2020
Gear Nut

I'll buy this soon, looks excellent and the vid is very well done.
Old 13th July 2020
Lives for gear

Someone actually studied graphic design. This GUI is so beautiful, 40th/50th style. Judging from the video alone, the sat/disto sounds a bit hard and is always on top of the audio source. Reminds me a bit of Zener disto. It seems that it can´t be made more integrale with/to the source or smoother sounding (edit: mix knob is your best friend here). What the plugin does to attack transients is wonderful. And guys, you got me anyway since Sketch Cassette...and of course the main reason I like to support you is seeing you playing heavy distorted guiter...in the kitchen. So count me in

P.S.
Yes, I also think a GUI should be re-sizable these days or at least avaiable in different sizes, with at least one very big size
Old 13th July 2020
Here for the gear
I'm really sitting on the fence with this. I think I need to buy it especially after the good feedback.
OT: Will Sketch Cassette see an update soon (I remember to read something similar)? If so will the price rise at any point?
Thanks.
Old 13th July 2020
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexishere View Post

Stay tuned for a demo release later this week! We previously hadn't had too much demand for demos but people have been clamoring for one for ShapeShifter. We've got it developed and just need to test it a bit this week before putting it up.
Old 13th July 2020
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by citrusonic View Post
love this plugin! bought Sketch as well. very excited to see what this company does next.

need a toggle for presets though! clicking the drop down menu/sub menus is a bit cumbersome. overall though i can see these two getting a lot of use. think i might try instantiating both on my master bus this week and starting some songs from scratch into them.
Thanks for that feedback! We've had a few people ask for preset arrows now so that'll be in the first update.
Old 13th July 2020
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by noiseresearch View Post
I'm really sitting on the fence with this. I think I need to buy it especially after the good feedback.
OT: Will Sketch Cassette see an update soon (I remember to read something similar)? If so will the price rise at any point?
Thanks.
SketchCassette is getting a major update later this year that will include a bunch of new features, bug fixes, and a new universally compatible preset system similar to the one in ShapeShifter. This update has required moving SketchCassette over to the new framework we're on which is taking some time, but we're looking to have the update out in the Fall.

This update will be free for all existing SketchCassette users. We'll also most likely be raising the price for new customers (to around $30) since all the added features will add a lot of value to the plug. Hope that helps!
Old 13th July 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by aberrantdsp View Post
SketchCassette is getting a major update later this year that will include a bunch of new features, bug fixes, and a new universally compatible preset system similar to the one in ShapeShifter. This update has required moving SketchCassette over to the new framework we're on which is taking some time, but we're looking to have the update out in the Fall.

This update will be free for all existing SketchCassette users. We'll also most likely be raising the price for new customers (to around $30) since all the added features will add a lot of value to the plug. Hope that helps!
Sounds amazing. Looking foreward for this
Old 13th July 2020
Lives for gear

Hi guys, this thing really does something very cool.

Thanks for that great plugin for such an amazing price.

Do you think its possible to build in a SideChain detection some day? That would be an awesome addition.
Attached Files

with Shapeshifter.mp3 (489.4 KB, 3916 views)

original.mp3 (689.1 KB, 3933 views)

Old 13th July 2020
Gear Nut

Quote:

Nice. I will re-purchase sketchcassette in the hopes that constant noise output can happen in live 10 using vst3 but will use it as is gladly even if that can't be a thing.

Away currently and looking forward to purchasing both of these when back. This one looks so good and I was hoping for an expanded version of the cassette comp, looks like much more as well.
Old 14th July 2020
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by nichttuntun View Post
Hi guys, this thing really does something very cool.

Thanks for that great plugin for such an amazing price.

Do you think its possible to build in a SideChain detection some day? That would be an awesome addition.
Thanks so much for the support, glad you're digging it!

We actually added sidechain capability during development but found that it led to some hard to control and somewhat lackluster results. This is due to how the ShapeShifter compression works, being a combination of upward and downward compression, it doesn't take very well to the traditional downward compression version of sidechaining. Since "sidechain" is associated with the specific sound that a sidechained downward compressor produces, we didn't want to mislead or confuse by including a sidechain input that led to strange and unpredictable results

We've thought about some alternate implementations such as mixing the input signal with the sidechain signal before feeding to the detectors, but we thought that might be a little geeky and convoluted in a way that could hamper what we ultimately want people to do with ShapeShifter: try all sorts of settings and have fun! There's a lot to be gained through thoughtful exploration of what ShapeShifter can do (and through reading the manual! ), but it was important to us that it remained relatively easy to understand based simply on what you hear come out of it.

That being said we might explore some sort of sidechain ability in the future, but by necessity of how the plugin operates it probably won't be a traditional form of sidechaining
Old 14th July 2020
Gear Maniac

Quote:

We actually added sidechain capability during development but found that it led to some hard to control and somewhat lackluster results. This is due to how the ShapeShifter compression works, being a combination of upward and downward compression, it doesn't take very well to the traditional downward compression version of sidechaining. Since "sidechain" is associated with the specific sound that a sidechained downward compressor produces, we didn't want to mislead or confuse by including a sidechain input that led to strange and unpredictable results

We've thought about some alternate implementations such as mixing the input signal with the sidechain signal before feeding to the detectors, but we thought that might be a little geeky and convoluted in a way that could hamper what we ultimately want people to do with ShapeShifter: try all sorts of settings and have fun! There's a lot to be gained through thoughtful exploration of what ShapeShifter can do (and through reading the manual! ), but it was important to us that it remained relatively easy to understand based simply on what you hear come out of it.

That being said we might explore some sort of sidechain ability in the future, but by necessity of how the plugin operates it probably won't be a traditional form of sidechaining
What about only applying the sidechain to the downwards compression (I know nothing of these things, just curious).

Also, did you take inspiration from the iOS app WOOTT? It’s OK if you did, it’s such a cool app and was itself a new take on the classic OTT.
Old 14th July 2020
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by GusGranite View Post
What about only applying the sidechain to the downwards compression (I know nothing of these things, just curious).

Also, did you take inspiration from the iOS app WOOTT? It’s OK if you did, it’s such a cool app and was itself a new take on the classic OTT.
We messed around with that type of sidechaining a bit but that too was a little hard to control, again due to some specifics of how the detectors in ShapeShifter work. Something like that might be how we'd end up implementing sidechain in the plugin eventually though! Albeit with some tweaks.

We don't have any experience with that app specifically, but we have played with the classic OTT a bit in the past. I can't say it played much of a role in developing ShapeShifter, though it definitely has some similarities with the mix of upward and downward compression!
Old 14th July 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:

Hi guys. Wow. Thanks a lot for the indepth thought process explaination. I dig it even more now and I completely appreciate your attitude here. I'm glad to be a supporter and I'm sure we all will see further great things released from you. I also appreciate that you take your time and release plugins very well thought out and free of bugs. That's awesome. I'm looking foreward for changes and new stuff and I'm sure everything will make sense. Stay save and sound.
Old 14th July 2020
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexishere View Post

+1
Old 15th July 2020
Lives for gear

Incredible sounding plug. Whatever you feel the source needs MORE of (or less depending on how much you decide to smash it!)..... this will get you there. Waiting for the cops to show up for stealing it for $20. Extremely versatile and just flat out awesome sound.
Old 15th July 2020
It is a great plugin with an even greater price.
Already bought sketchcassette when it first came out and bought this one, too, without hesitating.
Great design, soundwise and gui-wise. Another thing which is great is that your plugins have names that I can remember. Not the usual technical "VCXR-13M5" bull****, where I have forgotten after literally 3 days what the plugin is doing.

This is how plugin business should be in 2020, at least from a customer point of view. Hope this pays out for you, Aberrant DSP, too. You got easily in my personal developer-toplist. Can't wait what you come up with next!
Old 15th July 2020
Lives for gear
I've never been so excited to try a demo before

Maybe the best marketing so far!
Old 16th July 2020
Lives for gear

What determines the gain reduction on this? I bought but haven't installed yet to busy. Looking at the pictures I'm assuming the input.
Old 17th July 2020
Quote:
Originally Posted by trevon View Post
What determines the gain reduction on this? I bought but haven't installed yet to busy. Looking at the pictures I'm assuming the input.
There's a threshold control and a couple of ratios, which determine downward compression and upward compression amounts. This thing is a bit weird to operate; you'll definitely wanna skim the manual.
Old 17th July 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgrotto View Post
There's a threshold control and a couple of ratios, which determine downward compression and upward compression amounts. This thing is a bit weird to operate; you'll definitely wanna skim the manual.
I thought the threshold was for the transients and not peaks interesting. I'll give it a go this weekend
Old 17th July 2020
Here for the gear

ShapeShifter 1.1 + Demo Released

Hello everyone! We just released ShapeShifter’s first update, version 1.1. To access the update you can login to your Aberrant account on our site, go to My Account > Downloads, redownload the plugin for your desired OS, and reinstall it.

This update adds left and right preset selection arrows for fast and easy auditioning of settings, as well as a preset Category label (General, Drums, Extreme etc.) to let you know where your current preset is located in the preset list.

Also, a demo version of ShapeShifter is now available! Check out the ShapeShifter page for links to download.

Thanks!
Old 18th July 2020
Lives for gear

Beautiful compressor.
If possible, please consider adding a tiny lock button for the input and output, so that when flying through extreme presets the volume doesn’t terrorize.
Thanks and bought
Old 19th July 2020
Gear Head
Love how ShapeShifter sounds; GUI resizability would make it more usable on laptops on the road. Demo was helpful in making the purchase decision.

That's 2 for 2: SketchCassette has been my favorite drum track and 2-buss processor all year.
Old 19th July 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampsynth View Post
Love how ShapeShifter sounds; GUI resizability would make it more usable on laptops on the road. Demo was helpful in making the purchase decision.

That's 2 for 2: SketchCassette has been my favorite drum track and 2-buss processor all year.
Hi, on which audio material you are using SketchCassette on the 2-bus? thx
📝 Reply