TC Electronic Announce DYN 3000 & PEQ 3000 plug-ins and USB Controllers - Page 2 - Gearslutz
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
TC Electronic Announce DYN 3000 & PEQ 3000 plug-ins and USB Controllers
Old 3rd August 2020
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Carlyon View Post
I am really excited by this. I was thinking about getting a console 1 but
A - already have PA consoles
B - consoles aren't always flexible enough now i am used to using SSL X-EQ and Equilibrium along with track comp.

Curious to see what the 'phase' control is....i love that about Equilibrium...i actually find it hard to work without that now.
I really think if they have nailed this - truly modern feature set with compact controllers featuring decent screens/readout - i am in.

At the same time as having an interest in console 1 (for mixdown stage) i have also been interested in the TC units. This might just tip me towards getting the whole range.
In reaper there is the 'latch preview' mode. Can't imagine how awesome and time saving it would be to use these devices in latch preview for sketching out a mix real quick. Add in a faderport and....voilla.

Seriously interested to see how much this ends up being.
The phase control is a basic all-pass style phase rotator, a la the Little Labs IBP.
Old 3rd August 2020
Lives for gear

Still can't get a demo license for this.has anybody else managed to get one?.maybe this is a Windows thing,unlikely as that is
Old 3rd August 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgrotto View Post
The phase control is a basic all-pass style phase rotator, a la the Little Labs IBP.
It's being toted as a "phase EQ"though so that implies it is parametric like EQuilibrium's "free phase"mode.the fact it's being represented as an EQ though and not a settings page that you can't shift the band around like an EQ in EQuilibrium interests me
Old 3rd August 2020
Quote:
Originally Posted by Idontcare View Post
It's being toted as a "phase EQ"though so that implies it is parametric like EQuilibrium's "free phase"mode.the fact it's being represented as an EQ though and not a settings page that you can't shift the band around like an EQ in EQuilibrium interests me
Yeah I had hoped it would be parametric, a la waves inphase, but alas, it’s not the case. Also, curiously, theres no old fashioned polarity flip button on the thing, which is a damn shame.
Old 3rd August 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Yeah I had hoped it would be parametric, a la waves inphase, but alas, it’s not the case. Also, curiously, theres no old fashioned polarity flip button on the thing, which is a damn shame.
Aah not as interesting as i thought then
Old 3rd August 2020
Lives for gear

Ah dammit, that is such a shame. That couod have been amazing!! I find tha feature super useful....particularly for forcing the low end to mono.

Still interested in this as it looks super useful. Interested in the whole range - particularly as a more modern alternative to the softube console 1.
When s the hardware out? I want to demo but don't want to get it until i know when i can get the hardware, otherwise i will just plaster it over my sessions then the demo will run out.

I am hoping the EQ sounds good. I was surprised at how much difference i found between digital EQs when doing extensive testing. I ended up settling with DMG and SSL for mst of my eq needs, hope this holds up!! Same with the comp.

I like what TC are doing here though, this is a great way to give us hardware feel with all the advantages of digital. To anyone using reaper with its latch preview feature - this should pique interest.
Old 3rd August 2020
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Ah dammit, that is such a shame. That couod have been amazing!! I find tha feature super useful....particularly for forcing the low end to mono.

Still interested in this as it looks super useful. Interested in the whole range - particularly as a more modern alternative to the softube console 1.
When s the hardware out? I want to demo but don't want to get it until i know when i can get the hardware, otherwise i will just plaster it over my sessions then the demo will run out.

I am hoping the EQ sounds good. I was surprised at how much difference i found between digital EQs when doing extensive testing. I ended up settling with DMG and SSL for mst of my eq needs, hope this holds up!! Same with the comp.

I like what TC are doing here though, this is a great way to give us hardware feel with all the advantages of digital. To anyone using reaper with its latch preview feature - this should pique interest.
This is all great until the controller breaks and your left with a plugin that won’t even run on your computer in standalone mode. This was a huge flop from them in my books! They should have just made it iLok with the option of adding the controller for tactile feel. I bought the whole “old” range of controllers(the first 4 controllers), as we were told native versions wouldn’t be available and then I guess sales didn’t go as good as planned and they decided to go iLok and no controller is now required(runs full native). When I asked for iLok licenses for the 4 controllers(I even provided proof of purchase with pictures of the serial numbers for my units), the support and customer experience I thought I was going to get was total garbage! They refused to give me licenses(I even offered to pay the 25$ iLok activation fee for each of the 4 controllers..costing me an extra 100$ I technically shouldn’t even have to pay). So when I go to other studios to work, I absolutely have to initially bring the 4 controllers to “authorize” the plugin first and then I can run just the plugin in standalone mode without the controllers for 60 days before the controller needs to be re-connected again, which isn’t the end of the world but bringing around 4 controllers all the time increases the risk of damage every time and makes me panic because once the controller breaks, everything is useless cause 60 days later, there will be no way to have the plugin working anymore. Since they don’t want to give me an iLok license, I am left with a paperweight if/when the controller breaks. I have found a workaround though which solves all these problems now since TC was so non generous
Old 4th August 2020
Quote:
i will just plaster it over my sessions then the demo will run out.
This happened to me

Quote:
EQ sounds good. Compared favorably to Pro Q, however, the TC eq does exhibit HF cramping on 44 and 48k sessions, which is a bummer.

The dynamics plugin is quite good. Both the compressor and the gate are versatile and sound great. I also really like the user interface.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sayt0n View Post
This is all great until the controller breaks and your left with a plugin that won’t even run on your computer in standalone mode. This was a huge flop from them in my books! They should have just made it iLok with the option of adding the controller for tactile feel. I bought the whole “old” range of controllers(the first 4 controllers), as we were told native versions wouldn’t be available and then I guess sales didn’t go as good as planned and they decided to go iLok and no controller is now required(runs full native). When I asked for iLok licenses for the 4 controllers(I even provided proof of purchase with pictures of the serial numbers for my units), the support and customer experience I thought I was going to get was total garbage! They refused to give me licenses(I even offered to pay the 25$ iLok activation fee for each of the 4 controllers..costing me an extra 100$ I technically shouldn’t even have to pay). So when I go to other studios to work, I absolutely have to initially bring the 4 controllers to “authorize” the plugin first and then I can run just the plugin in standalone mode without the controllers for 60 days before the controller needs to be re-connected again, which isn’t the end of the world but bringing around 4 controllers all the time increases the risk of damage every time and makes me panic because once the controller breaks, everything is useless cause 60 days later, there will be no way to have the plugin working anymore. Since they don’t want to give me an iLok license, I am left with a paperweight if/when the controller breaks. I have found a workaround though which solves all these problems now since TC was so non generous
The eq and dyn plugs are authorized via ilok, or at least, the demos were.
Old 4th August 2020
Gear Maniac

Quote:
The eq and dyn plugs are authorized via ilok, or at least, the demos were.
I think this is because you are running it native(without controllers). As soon as you buy the controller, nothing is activated on iLok. It’s essentially the same thing as the original 4 controllers right now. You can buy the native version which will give you iLok licenses and you can demo them on iLok in native form. As soon as you purchase the controller, you do not get an iLok license as the controller becomes the dongle. I’m pretty confident that this is exactly how the new controllers will work too but I haven’t seen anyone with the controllers yet so I could be wrong. If you purchase native only, you get an iLok license and can just bring around your iLok key. If you purchase the controller, you need to bring the controller around to do the initial install and then once it’s unplugged from the computer, you have 60 days of Im not mistaken where the plugin will run(exactly the same as the iLok), until it needs to see the controller again.
Old 4th August 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
I think this is because you are running it native(without controllers). As soon as you buy the controller, nothing is activated on iLok. It’s essentially the same thing as the original 4 controllers right now. You can buy the native version which will give you iLok licenses and you can demo them on iLok in native form. As soon as you purchase the controller, you do not get an iLok license as the controller becomes the dongle. I’m pretty confident that this is exactly how the new controllers will work too but I haven’t seen anyone with the controllers yet so I could be wrong. If you purchase native only, you get an iLok license and can just bring around your iLok key. If you purchase the controller, you need to bring the controller around to do the initial install and then once it’s unplugged from the computer, you have 60 days of Im not mistaken where the plugin will run(exactly the same as the iLok), until it needs to see the controller again.
Once they deposit the licence in you I-Lok account can they take it away?
Old 4th August 2020
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neptune45 View Post
Once they deposit the licence in you I-Lok account can they take it away?
No, if you buy the Native version(without the controller), you will get an iLok license. If you buy the controller, there is no iLok license(the controller now becomes the copy protection). To have the controller with iLok, you would have to spend to buy the controller, and then you would have to order the Native version without the controller and you would get an iLok license but that means you would be spending twice for essentially the exact same code which makes zero sense to me. What would have been the best method would have been that when you purchase the controller, there would have been a card inside with an iLok code and that’s it. If you want use the plugin in any studio, all that would have been needed was to take your iLok with the licenses on them and just bring that, and if you want to use the controller, you just plug them in and boom, you now have tactile control. This would have been so simple to implement and would have made the most sense had they actually thought this through properly from the getgo!
Old 5th August 2020
Gear Addict

Quote:
T, the TC eq does exhibit HF cramping on 44 and 48k sessions, which is a bummer.
Really? Like a plugin from the 90s? That's quite something.
Old 5th August 2020
Quote:
Originally Posted by wald View Post
Really? Like a plugin from the 90s? That's quite something.
Not sure how to answer that because I’m unsure if you’re simply being snarky, or genuinely don’t know very much about the history and/or design of eg plugins (or even digital audio in general). Hell for all I know you weren’t even born yet in the 90s. Suffice to say in any event, that cramping isn’t all that uncommon, even to this day, particularly with zero latency utility type eqs.
Old 6th August 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Not sure how to answer that because I’m unsure if you’re simply being snarky, or genuinely don’t know very much about the history and/or design of eg plugins (or even digital audio in general). Hell for all I know you weren’t even born yet in the 90s. Suffice to say in any event, that cramping isn’t all that uncommon, even to this day, particularly with zero latency utility type eqs.
Agree!
Old 6th August 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
No, if you buy the Native version(without the controller), you will get an iLok license. If you buy the controller, there is no iLok license(the controller now becomes the copy protection).
The plugin and the controller are separate purchases, the controller is listed as optional which is not how the earlier releases were sold.
There won't be any version of these needing the controller for copy protection. You buy the plugin with ilok license and you can optionally buy the controller(without plugin).
Old 6th August 2020
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by stella645 View Post
The plugin and the controller are separate purchases, the controller is listed as optional which is not how the earlier releases were sold.
There won't be any version of these needing the controller for copy protection. You buy the plugin with ilok license and you can optionally buy the controller(without plugin).
wow....if this is the case, then that's even more messed up. How will they manage firmware updates for the controllers? Original purchasers they are refusing to give licenses to. Now the new purchasers will get iLok licenses. Who has iLok, who has controller based activation. What a mess!!! They should have just upgraded the firmware and had a section on the site where you put in the serial number and as long as the number was not already registered, they would deposit a license into "X" iLok account and just do it this new way. Everyone can just buy the native version, and then they can go ahead and just add the controller if need be. So basically, all the early adopters of this series got it right up the a*s with no grease!!! This is a great way to do business and try and retain existing customers! What a joke!!
Old 6th August 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
wow....if this is the case, then that's even more messed up. How will they manage firmware updates for the controllers? Original purchasers they are refusing to give licenses to. Now the new purchasers will get iLok licenses. Who has iLok, who has controller based activation. What a mess!!! They should have just upgraded the firmware and had a section on the site where you put in the serial number and as long as the number was not already registered, they would deposit a license into "X" iLok account and just do it this new way. Everyone can just buy the native version, and then they can go ahead and just add the controller if need be. So basically, all the early adopters of this series got it right up the a*s with no grease!!! This is a great way to do business and try and retain existing customers! What a joke!!
I'd get in touch with their support again.
Old 6th August 2020
Gear Maniac

Quote:
I'd get in touch with their support again.
Ive already wasted hours sending emails and calling the Canadian distributor for TC products who reached out to the bigger reps and I was told nothing can be done(even after having bought all 4 of the original controllers and providing proof of purchases). I can always waste a little more time. Ill report back with what happens.
Old 6th August 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Ive already wasted hours sending emails and calling the Canadian distributor for TC products who reached out to the bigger reps and I was told nothing can be done(even after having bought all 4 of the original controllers and providing proof of purchases). I can always waste a little more time. Ill report back with what happens.
That puts me off even trusting their company. Try writing to someone at their HQ. You should be able to find some contact details on-line these days. Point out forums such as this and the goodwill and reputation of the company etc.

It's not like you are asking for a freebie - just something you should own as of right since you were one of the first adopters and supported their product by paying your money.
Old 6th August 2020
Gear Maniac

Quote:
That puts me off even trusting their company. Try writing to someone at their HQ. You should be able to find some contact details on-line these days. Point out forums such as this and the goodwill and reputation of the company etc.

It's not like you are asking for a freebie - just something you should own as of right since you were one of the first adopters and supported their product by paying your money.
my point exactly. and we have all seen what happened with the powercore systems. I even offered to pay 25$ per unit so that I could get the licenses deposited after going back and forth with no success. And even after basically offering to pay 100$ for code I already had paid for originally for the 4 plugins, I was told no!! To be totally honest, you know what I did!? I downloaded the cracks to all 4 plugins installed them and they are running perfectly fine with and without the controllers now. I found both Mac and PC versions and now I dont need to haul anything around anymore. Its sh**ty and leaves a bad taste in my mouth, but what do you think I will do now with the rest of the plugins they will release. Do you really think I will give them a penny now that I got the sh**tiest support I could have ever imagined!? I really didn't think it would turn out this way, but this goes to show how much they dont care anymore! So think long and hard with your wallet before supporting them!

Last edited by Sayt0n; 6th August 2020 at 07:27 PM..
Old 7th August 2020
Lives for gear

Really sad to hear that, that's not how I remembered TC-Electronic, back in the days... Now they are a Behringer company. Unfortunately.
Old 13th September 2020
Here for the gear
The ability to switch between instantiations of the plugin on these two controllers (eq and dynamics) (using the controller only) isn't something thats available on their 8210 and 2290 controllers, correct?
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Addict

Quote:
Fair enough, "90s" was a bit hyperbolic.

I have been releasing music since the early 2000s. And yes, I remember the first digital EQs, but I have not used an EQ that was not decramped in the last decade (and they are all zero latency).
📝 Reply