Gearslutz

Gearslutz (https://www.gearslutz.com/board/)
-   Product Alerts older than 2 months (https://www.gearslutz.com/board/product-alerts-older-than-2-months/)
-   -   TC Electronic Announce DYN 3000 & PEQ 3000 plug-ins and USB Controllers (https://www.gearslutz.com/board/product-alerts-older-than-2-months/1317888-tc-electronic-announce-dyn-3000-amp-peq-3000-plug-ins-usb-controllers.html)

bgrotto 3rd August 2020 03:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by David Carlyon (Post 14893333)
I am really excited by this. I was thinking about getting a console 1 but
A - already have PA consoles
B - consoles aren't always flexible enough now i am used to using SSL X-EQ and Equilibrium along with track comp.

Curious to see what the 'phase' control is....i love that about Equilibrium...i actually find it hard to work without that now.
I really think if they have nailed this - truly modern feature set with compact controllers featuring decent screens/readout - i am in.

At the same time as having an interest in console 1 (for mixdown stage) i have also been interested in the TC units. This might just tip me towards getting the whole range.
In reaper there is the 'latch preview' mode. Can't imagine how awesome and time saving it would be to use these devices in latch preview for sketching out a mix real quick. Add in a faderport and....voilla.

Seriously interested to see how much this ends up being.

The phase control is a basic all-pass style phase rotator, a la the Little Labs IBP.

Idontcare 3rd August 2020 02:12 PM

Still can't get a demo license for this.has anybody else managed to get one?.maybe this is a Windows thing,unlikely as that is

Idontcare 3rd August 2020 02:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bgrotto (Post 14893792)
The phase control is a basic all-pass style phase rotator, a la the Little Labs IBP.

It's being toted as a "phase EQ"though so that implies it is parametric like EQuilibrium's "free phase"mode.the fact it's being represented as an EQ though and not a settings page that you can't shift the band around like an EQ in EQuilibrium interests me

bgrotto 3rd August 2020 02:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Idontcare (Post 14894402)
It's being toted as a "phase EQ"though so that implies it is parametric like EQuilibrium's "free phase"mode.the fact it's being represented as an EQ though and not a settings page that you can't shift the band around like an EQ in EQuilibrium interests me

Yeah I had hoped it would be parametric, a la waves inphase, but alas, it’s not the case. Also, curiously, theres no old fashioned polarity flip button on the thing, which is a damn shame.

Idontcare 3rd August 2020 02:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bgrotto (Post 14894422)
Yeah I had hoped it would be parametric, a la waves inphase, but alas, it’s not the case. Also, curiously, theres no old fashioned polarity flip button on the thing, which is a damn shame.

Aah not as interesting as i thought then

David Carlyon 3rd August 2020 09:58 PM

Ah dammit, that is such a shame. That couod have been amazing!! I find tha feature super useful....particularly for forcing the low end to mono.

Still interested in this as it looks super useful. Interested in the whole range - particularly as a more modern alternative to the softube console 1.
When s the hardware out? I want to demo but don't want to get it until i know when i can get the hardware, otherwise i will just plaster it over my sessions then the demo will run out.

I am hoping the EQ sounds good. I was surprised at how much difference i found between digital EQs when doing extensive testing. I ended up settling with DMG and SSL for mst of my eq needs, hope this holds up!! Same with the comp.

I like what TC are doing here though, this is a great way to give us hardware feel with all the advantages of digital. To anyone using reaper with its latch preview feature - this should pique interest.

Sayt0n 3rd August 2020 11:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by David Carlyon (Post 14895264)
Ah dammit, that is such a shame. That couod have been amazing!! I find tha feature super useful....particularly for forcing the low end to mono.

Still interested in this as it looks super useful. Interested in the whole range - particularly as a more modern alternative to the softube console 1.
When s the hardware out? I want to demo but don't want to get it until i know when i can get the hardware, otherwise i will just plaster it over my sessions then the demo will run out.

I am hoping the EQ sounds good. I was surprised at how much difference i found between digital EQs when doing extensive testing. I ended up settling with DMG and SSL for mst of my eq needs, hope this holds up!! Same with the comp.

I like what TC are doing here though, this is a great way to give us hardware feel with all the advantages of digital. To anyone using reaper with its latch preview feature - this should pique interest.

This is all great until the controller breaks and your left with a plugin that won’t even run on your computer in standalone mode. This was a huge flop from them in my books! They should have just made it iLok with the option of adding the controller for tactile feel. I bought the whole “old” range of controllers(the first 4 controllers), as we were told native versions wouldn’t be available and then I guess sales didn’t go as good as planned and they decided to go iLok and no controller is now required(runs full native). When I asked for iLok licenses for the 4 controllers(I even provided proof of purchase with pictures of the serial numbers for my units), the support and customer experience I thought I was going to get was total garbage! They refused to give me licenses(I even offered to pay the 25$ iLok activation fee for each of the 4 controllers..costing me an extra 100$ I technically shouldn’t even have to pay). So when I go to other studios to work, I absolutely have to initially bring the 4 controllers to “authorize” the plugin first and then I can run just the plugin in standalone mode without the controllers for 60 days before the controller needs to be re-connected again, which isn’t the end of the world but bringing around 4 controllers all the time increases the risk of damage every time and makes me panic because once the controller breaks, everything is useless cause 60 days later, there will be no way to have the plugin working anymore. Since they don’t want to give me an iLok license, I am left with a paperweight if/when the controller breaks. I have found a workaround though which solves all these problems now since TC was so non generous ;)

bgrotto 4th August 2020 01:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by David Carlyon (Post 14895264)
i will just plaster it over my sessions then the demo will run out.

This happened to me:facepalm:

Quote:

EQ sounds good. Compared favorably to Pro Q, however, the TC eq does exhibit HF cramping on 44 and 48k sessions, which is a bummer.

The dynamics plugin is quite good. Both the compressor and the gate are versatile and sound great. I also really like the user interface.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sayt0n (Post 14895380)
This is all great until the controller breaks and your left with a plugin that won’t even run on your computer in standalone mode. This was a huge flop from them in my books! They should have just made it iLok with the option of adding the controller for tactile feel. I bought the whole “old” range of controllers(the first 4 controllers), as we were told native versions wouldn’t be available and then I guess sales didn’t go as good as planned and they decided to go iLok and no controller is now required(runs full native). When I asked for iLok licenses for the 4 controllers(I even provided proof of purchase with pictures of the serial numbers for my units), the support and customer experience I thought I was going to get was total garbage! They refused to give me licenses(I even offered to pay the 25$ iLok activation fee for each of the 4 controllers..costing me an extra 100$ I technically shouldn’t even have to pay). So when I go to other studios to work, I absolutely have to initially bring the 4 controllers to “authorize” the plugin first and then I can run just the plugin in standalone mode without the controllers for 60 days before the controller needs to be re-connected again, which isn’t the end of the world but bringing around 4 controllers all the time increases the risk of damage every time and makes me panic because once the controller breaks, everything is useless cause 60 days later, there will be no way to have the plugin working anymore. Since they don’t want to give me an iLok license, I am left with a paperweight if/when the controller breaks. I have found a workaround though which solves all these problems now since TC was so non generous ;)

The eq and dyn plugs are authorized via ilok, or at least, the demos were.

Sayt0n 4th August 2020 02:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bgrotto (Post 14895609)
The eq and dyn plugs are authorized via ilok, or at least, the demos were.

I think this is because you are running it native(without controllers). As soon as you buy the controller, nothing is activated on iLok. It’s essentially the same thing as the original 4 controllers right now. You can buy the native version which will give you iLok licenses and you can demo them on iLok in native form. As soon as you purchase the controller, you do not get an iLok license as the controller becomes the dongle. I’m pretty confident that this is exactly how the new controllers will work too but I haven’t seen anyone with the controllers yet so I could be wrong. If you purchase native only, you get an iLok license and can just bring around your iLok key. If you purchase the controller, you need to bring the controller around to do the initial install and then once it’s unplugged from the computer, you have 60 days of Im not mistaken where the plugin will run(exactly the same as the iLok), until it needs to see the controller again.

Neptune45 4th August 2020 03:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sayt0n (Post 14895618)
I think this is because you are running it native(without controllers). As soon as you buy the controller, nothing is activated on iLok. It’s essentially the same thing as the original 4 controllers right now. You can buy the native version which will give you iLok licenses and you can demo them on iLok in native form. As soon as you purchase the controller, you do not get an iLok license as the controller becomes the dongle. I’m pretty confident that this is exactly how the new controllers will work too but I haven’t seen anyone with the controllers yet so I could be wrong. If you purchase native only, you get an iLok license and can just bring around your iLok key. If you purchase the controller, you need to bring the controller around to do the initial install and then once it’s unplugged from the computer, you have 60 days of Im not mistaken where the plugin will run(exactly the same as the iLok), until it needs to see the controller again.

Once they deposit the licence in you I-Lok account can they take it away?

Sayt0n 4th August 2020 04:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Neptune45 (Post 14895743)
Once they deposit the licence in you I-Lok account can they take it away?

No, if you buy the Native version(without the controller), you will get an iLok license. If you buy the controller, there is no iLok license(the controller now becomes the copy protection). To have the controller with iLok, you would have to spend to buy the controller, and then you would have to order the Native version without the controller and you would get an iLok license but that means you would be spending twice for essentially the exact same code which makes zero sense to me. What would have been the best method would have been that when you purchase the controller, there would have been a card inside with an iLok code and that’s it. If you want use the plugin in any studio, all that would have been needed was to take your iLok with the licenses on them and just bring that, and if you want to use the controller, you just plug them in and boom, you now have tactile control. This would have been so simple to implement and would have made the most sense had they actually thought this through properly from the getgo!

wald 5th August 2020 09:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bgrotto (Post 14895609)
T, the TC eq does exhibit HF cramping on 44 and 48k sessions, which is a bummer.

Really? Like a plugin from the 90s? That's quite something.

bgrotto 5th August 2020 10:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wald (Post 14898890)
Really? Like a plugin from the 90s? That's quite something.

Not sure how to answer that because I’m unsure if you’re simply being snarky, or genuinely don’t know very much about the history and/or design of eg plugins (or even digital audio in general). Hell for all I know you weren’t even born yet in the 90s. Suffice to say in any event, that cramping isn’t all that uncommon, even to this day, particularly with zero latency utility type eqs.

lydfar 6th August 2020 02:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bgrotto (Post 14898960)
Not sure how to answer that because I’m unsure if you’re simply being snarky, or genuinely don’t know very much about the history and/or design of eg plugins (or even digital audio in general). Hell for all I know you weren’t even born yet in the 90s. Suffice to say in any event, that cramping isn’t all that uncommon, even to this day, particularly with zero latency utility type eqs.

Agree!

stella645 6th August 2020 06:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sayt0n (Post 14895758)
No, if you buy the Native version(without the controller), you will get an iLok license. If you buy the controller, there is no iLok license(the controller now becomes the copy protection).

The plugin and the controller are separate purchases, the controller is listed as optional which is not how the earlier releases were sold.
There won't be any version of these needing the controller for copy protection. You buy the plugin with ilok license and you can optionally buy the controller(without plugin).

Sayt0n 6th August 2020 06:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stella645 (Post 14900532)
The plugin and the controller are separate purchases, the controller is listed as optional which is not how the earlier releases were sold.
There won't be any version of these needing the controller for copy protection. You buy the plugin with ilok license and you can optionally buy the controller(without plugin).

wow....if this is the case, then that's even more messed up. How will they manage firmware updates for the controllers? Original purchasers they are refusing to give licenses to. Now the new purchasers will get iLok licenses. Who has iLok, who has controller based activation. What a mess!!! They should have just upgraded the firmware and had a section on the site where you put in the serial number and as long as the number was not already registered, they would deposit a license into "X" iLok account and just do it this new way. Everyone can just buy the native version, and then they can go ahead and just add the controller if need be. So basically, all the early adopters of this series got it right up the a*s with no grease!!! This is a great way to do business and try and retain existing customers! :cop: What a joke!!

Neptune45 6th August 2020 06:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sayt0n (Post 14900552)
wow....if this is the case, then that's even more messed up. How will they manage firmware updates for the controllers? Original purchasers they are refusing to give licenses to. Now the new purchasers will get iLok licenses. Who has iLok, who has controller based activation. What a mess!!! They should have just upgraded the firmware and had a section on the site where you put in the serial number and as long as the number was not already registered, they would deposit a license into "X" iLok account and just do it this new way. Everyone can just buy the native version, and then they can go ahead and just add the controller if need be. So basically, all the early adopters of this series got it right up the a*s with no grease!!! This is a great way to do business and try and retain existing customers! :cop: What a joke!!

I'd get in touch with their support again.

Sayt0n 6th August 2020 06:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Neptune45 (Post 14900581)
I'd get in touch with their support again.

Ive already wasted hours sending emails and calling the Canadian distributor for TC products who reached out to the bigger reps and I was told nothing can be done(even after having bought all 4 of the original controllers and providing proof of purchases). I can always waste a little more time. Ill report back with what happens.

Neptune45 6th August 2020 06:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sayt0n (Post 14900597)
Ive already wasted hours sending emails and calling the Canadian distributor for TC products who reached out to the bigger reps and I was told nothing can be done(even after having bought all 4 of the original controllers and providing proof of purchases). I can always waste a little more time. Ill report back with what happens.

That puts me off even trusting their company. Try writing to someone at their HQ. You should be able to find some contact details on-line these days. Point out forums such as this and the goodwill and reputation of the company etc.

It's not like you are asking for a freebie - just something you should own as of right since you were one of the first adopters and supported their product by paying your money.

Sayt0n 6th August 2020 07:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Neptune45 (Post 14900612)
That puts me off even trusting their company. Try writing to someone at their HQ. You should be able to find some contact details on-line these days. Point out forums such as this and the goodwill and reputation of the company etc.

It's not like you are asking for a freebie - just something you should own as of right since you were one of the first adopters and supported their product by paying your money.

my point exactly. and we have all seen what happened with the powercore systems. I even offered to pay 25$ per unit so that I could get the licenses deposited after going back and forth with no success. And even after basically offering to pay 100$ for code I already had paid for originally for the 4 plugins, I was told no!! To be totally honest, you know what I did!? I downloaded the cracks to all 4 plugins installed them and they are running perfectly fine with and without the controllers now. I found both Mac and PC versions and now I dont need to haul anything around anymore. Its sh**ty and leaves a bad taste in my mouth, but what do you think I will do now with the rest of the plugins they will release. Do you really think I will give them a penny now that I got the sh**tiest support I could have ever imagined!? I really didn't think it would turn out this way, but this goes to show how much they dont care anymore! So think long and hard with your wallet before supporting them!

lydfar 7th August 2020 03:34 PM

Really sad to hear that, that's not how I remembered TC-Electronic, back in the days... Now they are a Behringer company. Unfortunately. mezed

ragnarokzwei 13th September 2020 10:21 PM

The ability to switch between instantiations of the plugin on these two controllers (eq and dynamics) (using the controller only) isn't something thats available on their 8210 and 2290 controllers, correct?

wald 4th October 2020 01:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bgrotto (Post 14898960)

Fair enough, "90s" was a bit hyperbolic.

I have been releasing music since the early 2000s. And yes, I remember the first digital EQs, but I have not used an EQ that was not decramped in the last decade (and they are all zero latency).

Light Grenade 9th November 2020 09:30 PM

I am demoing this right now. I can't get a hold of the controller yet, I'm intrigued to see how it would fit with my Console One setup. I currently use the Sonnox Oxford before my C1 instance for surgical EQ

The PEQ 3000 sounds good. It's a touch more open than the Sonnox, and it's very smooth. However, the plugin feels laggy, moving the bands about is slow and a bit jittery. I don't know if this is a side effect of the beautiful, large GUI but it's annoying.

Still undecided on purchasing or not.

Light Grenade 10th November 2020 01:08 PM

Update: more than three instances of the PEQ 3000 is crashing reaper on Windows 10.

Shame, I was really starting to like it. There's something wrong with the code, the general response of the plugin is slow and both VST2 + VST3 are crashing any session. I'll be sticking with the Sonnox for now.

BillSimpkins 24th November 2020 07:09 PM

These sound AMAZING but are huge CPU hogs (using software only demos). With a 8 core i7 I am able to only put these on 15 channels at 48k before it starts throwing errors in ProTools. This would be a BIG WIN for me (and everyone else here) if they would shore up this performance issue. Can someone at T.C. please contact me? I want these bad and I'm sure this is just a bug in the software. I would buy it if I knew they were working on a patch for this. Thanks!

David Carlyon 27th November 2020 02:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BillSimpkins (Post 15129304)
These sound AMAZING but are huge CPU hogs (using software only demos). With a 8 core i7 I am able to only put these on 15 channels at 48k before it starts throwing errors in ProTools. This would be a BIG WIN for me (and everyone else here) if they would shore up this performance issue. Can someone at T.C. please contact me? I want these bad and I'm sure this is just a bug in the software. I would buy it if I knew they were working on a patch for this. Thanks!

No waaaay! That is a real shame. I am thinking hard about these now they are shipping. Just about to download the demos. I am thinking about either picking up the dyn and eq with controller OR grabbing a fab filter bundle at black friday prices.
Tough call. I really love the idea of EQing with the controller, but worry about the stability of the plug. I need to be able to use it on every track for it to make sense

BillSimpkins 27th November 2020 06:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by David Carlyon (Post 15135277)
No waaaay! That is a real shame. I am thinking hard about these now they are shipping. Just about to download the demos. I am thinking about either picking up the dyn and eq with controller OR grabbing a fab filter bundle at black friday prices.
Tough call. I really love the idea of EQing with the controller, but worry about the stability of the plug. I need to be able to use it on every track for it to make sense

The good news is that I think they are looking into the issue.

David Carlyon 28th November 2020 12:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BillSimpkins (Post 15135790)
The good news is that I think they are looking into the issue.

Ah that is good. Seems weird they wouldn't get that fixed before release.
All seems alittle worrying really.
I love the idea of having the entire tc controller range. But comparing them to say, the Fabfilter bundle, i keep thinking about how fabfilter is always updated and new versions come out, i can reach them by email easily etc etc.
It doesn't fill one with confidence.

I know when i buy a DMG or FF product, not only will it be continued into the future, but i will be able to open up sessions in years to come and they will just work.
I do love the concept behind the controllers though. I would be interested to hear from more people about how quick they end up being VS a mouse.
I got a ton of controllers - push, slate touch screen, ipad based controllers for ableton, maschine etc etc.
They are all a lot of fun to work on, but i do think there is a point to one of the earlier posts - using a mouse with modifiers is very quick.
Also, looking around at different places can take you out fo the zone.
Shame there is nowhere to try these out locally.

David Carlyon 30th November 2020 02:16 PM

After trying these out briefly, i really like the sound. Very solid compressor. Now having a hard time deciding between these and the fabfilter bundle.
It is kind of hard to know how the controllers will be in use without actually test driving them.
They do sound great though.

Here is the idea i had....get the whole set - dyn, eq, reverb, delay, stereo widener
Then take a track, say lead vocal. Put the Dyn and EQ on my lead vocal folder
Then have the sends: Reverb, Width, Delay
Then make a macro in Reaper to select the lead vocal folder and all associated recieve tracks...
BOOM you can see all of your tracks related mix processing at a glance (on the hardware)
The Dyn and EQ will be selected (on the main track) along with all the sends. this should focus each of the controllers on those instances.
I still think it is a cool idea. bit of an expensive experiment if it works out no good.