The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Neural DSP: Introducing Archetype: Cory Wong
Old 6th July 2020
Here for the gear

Software Neural DSP: Introducing Archetype: Cory Wong

Seems like this product is no longer a "metal affiliated" thing...

From their website:

Neural DSP: Introducing Archetype: Cory Wong-neural.jpg

Overview
It is hard to think of many artists that have been able to achieve what Vulfpeck has.

The perfect combination of insane talent, fantastic music, and branding genius has taken them from their DIY roots to amassing an internationally revered cult-like fanbase, selling out Madison Square Garden. In that, Cory Wong has become a modern guitar hero, known for his unique playing style and perfect tone.

Cory’s uncompromising standards and borderline unrealistic expectations for perfection provided the challenge we were after. The result is unlike anything we have done before: an incredibly versatile plugin, designed to offer a wide variety of options for players in search of the perfect clean and edge-of-break-up tones.

We proudly present you, Archetype: Cory Wong.

D.I. Funk Console
Based on an analog channel strip, the D.I Funk Console allows you to recreate the classic “bubble tone”. Featuring Tube Saturation, a powerful Compressor, selectable frequencies on the EQ section, and High Pass and Low Pass filters for ultimate control. The D.I. Funk Console works great without a cabinet! Bypass it to add some vintage color to your D.I. signal.

The Clean Machine
An amalgamation of the best clean amps in the industry, this amp was customized to Cory’s needs, adding a bigger range of control and versatility. The result delivers crisp, clean tones with a beautifully warm top end.

The Amp Snob
A model of one of the rarest amplifiers in history, the Amp Snob is incredibly versatile: At lower gain settings you can achieve crystal clear clean tones. Crank the gain and master volume controls for the iconic edge of breakup tone. The tube power amp will soften high transients and round up the sound of boosters, complimented with a great bottom end and dynamic response.

WAH
We meticulously crafted the exact sweep Cory wanted in a wah pedal. By mapping a MIDI controllable expression pedal, you can quickly set the plugin to learn the range of your pedal giving you full control of the sweep. If you don’t have an expression pedal, enable auto-wah for endless whacca-whacca fun!

Pre-Effects
Featuring a collection of Cory’s favourite pedals, these virtual models will give you everything from out-and-out funk tones to beautiful tube amp saturation.

The Postal Service: A complex envelope filter with a simple user interface.

The 4th Position Compressor: Cory’s signature sound; giving you all the squish and punchiness a modern compressor should.

The Tuber: A modded classic; a booster loved by tube amp fanatics.

The Big Rig Overdrive: A heavy and powerful overdrive pedal that pushes saturation to the beginnings of fuzz.

Post/time Effects
The time section includes two powerful pedals:

Delay-y-y: Designed based on analog circuits, this BBD delay engine will give you an incredibly warm tone and beautiful repetitions.

The Wash: A powerful reverb stompbox with a Shimmer switch to immerse yourself in a dreamy atmosphere.

EQ
Ideal for detailed spectrum adjustment, the onboard 9-band graphic equalizer allows for total control over frequency response.

Cabsim
We engineered a very comprehensive and adaptive cabinet simulation module featuring six virtual microphones, which can be positioned around the speakers. The cabsim features 108 IRs per cab for a total of 324 IRs captured by Adam “Nolly” Getgood.

This module can also serve as a standard loader for your favorite impulse response files.

These features can be used on both mono and stereo configurations; the latter allows for a second microphone to be added with full panning, microphone level, and phase parameters in addition to position and distance, for ultimate control and endless sonic possibilities.

Link/Unlink
This unique control allows you to use each head with its matched cabinet, or experiment by interchanging them.

Standalone
The Standalone feature in Archetype: Cory allows you to quickly install, plug and play this versatile plugin suite! Standalone is perfect for practice on the go and live use.
Attached Thumbnails
Neural DSP: Introducing Archetype: Cory Wong-neural.jpg  
Old 6th July 2020
Gear Nut

Great news, this one will be interesting and I'm sure there'll be lots to say about it.

One question, does anyone know why its so expensive in US Dollars compared to Euro? When I load the page I see the discounted price in Euro for a second, about 90+ euro then it jumps to my US Dollar price as $155 as the sale price. Surely the retail on this isn't $193? The Euro retail is 119 I think? Basically, too expensive for me at the US price point so I'm hoping its an error.. I'd probably demo it at the $100 mark though. I'm afraid to demo it right now :/
Old 6th July 2020
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Insanelysane View Post
One question, does anyone know why its so expensive in US Dollars compared to Euro?
They just did a whole website revamp in the last couple days and it was being kind of weird for me in checkout (I had to use Internet Explorer to complete checkout, heaven forbid). Screenshot below of the correct price as displayed on my phone (plus it was another 20% off for me as a returning customer).

As for the plugin itself, it's fantastic. It's the best amp sim yet for running my hardware fuzz and OD pedals through. Highly recommend it.
Attached Thumbnails
Neural DSP: Introducing Archetype: Cory Wong-screenshot_20200706-080627.jpg  
Old 6th July 2020
dio
Lives for gear

Judging ONLY by their own video promo the cleans are again plastic and overprocessed. Neural DSP excel at high gain, but as with Plini I am not impressed. Last Nembrinis and especially the Fender one have impressive cleans, albeit the multiple amps and pedals (as reflected by the price) make this a more complete suite fore sure.
Old 6th July 2020
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by dio View Post
Judging ONLY by their own video promo the cleans are again plastic and overprocessed. Neural DSP excel at high gain, but as with Plini I am not impressed. Last Nembrinis and especially the Fender one have impressive cleans, albeit the multiple amps and pedals (as reflected by the price) make this a more complete suite fore sure.
Plini has good cleans but I think Nolly has really great cleans. Actually both cleans are the only amp sim cleans that are convincing to me. I wanted to like Nembrinis Amps and also the Brainworx ones but actually I never could make them sound good.
Old 6th July 2020
Gear Nut

Potentially interesting, never had an interest in their previous products which seemed more targeted towards metal...
Does anyone know whether neural DSP does black Friday sales? 100 bucks is an okay price, but not in the no brainer category and I need to stop buying plugins for a few weeks...
Old 6th July 2020
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by zachaction View Post
They just did a whole website revamp in the last couple days and it was being kind of weird for me in checkout (I had to use Internet Explorer to complete checkout, heaven forbid). Screenshot below of the correct price as displayed on my phone (plus it was another 20% off for me as a returning customer).

As for the plugin itself, it's fantastic. It's the best amp sim yet for running my hardware fuzz and OD pedals through. Highly recommend it.
Thanks for the info, appreciated. I am still seeing my inflated price, screenshot attached.

I figured since my local currency is AUD Dollars, its done that conversion, although xe.com calculator shows its about $20 off on that conversion too.
Attached Thumbnails
Neural DSP: Introducing Archetype: Cory Wong-screenshot_20200707-062253_chrome.jpg  
Old 6th July 2020
Here for the gear

Try to progress one more screen. In my case they showed me the price in my local currency but the next screen went back to euro with the right price
Old 6th July 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herzton View Post
Potentially interesting, never had an interest in their previous products which seemed more targeted towards metal...
Does anyone know whether neural DSP does black Friday sales? 100 bucks is an okay price, but not in the no brainer category and I need to stop buying plugins for a few weeks...
They just had a 50% off their best plugins (everything was around $80). Definitely the company that has the most natural sounding emulations. I have a lot of guitar plugins but when my clients sit in front of the Plini, or the Nolly I see them going bananas for hours. Never happened with other plugins. I don't have a Kemper or any other hardware emulations. I heard amazing results from the HeadRush pedalboard, very natural as well.
Certainly this plugin looks interesting and opens a whole new territory for Neural DSP. Downloading the demo now...
Old 7th July 2020
Gear Nut

Support got back to me to confirm that my price for this one is now reflected automatically in local currency, which to me is a shame as I am literally paying at least US$10 more for the same thing, due to poor conversion fees. I would have much preferred to have a choice in my currency.

Having said that I will be demoing this later and reporting back
Old 7th July 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Insanelysane View Post
Support got back to me to confirm that my price for this one is now reflected automatically in local currency, which to me is a shame as I am literally paying at least US$10 more for the same thing, due to poor conversion fees. I would have much preferred to have a choice in my currency.
Having said that I will be demoing this later and reporting back
This is copied directly from their checkout page:

We process all orders in EUR. While your cart is currently displayed in CLP you will checkout using EUR at the most current exchange rate.
Old 7th July 2020
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pali View Post
This is copied directly from their checkout page:

We process all orders in EUR. While your cart is currently displayed in CLP you will checkout using EUR at the most current exchange rate.
That explains it and the conversion adds up. Thanks for that info.
Old 7th July 2020
Here for the gear
I'm not huge on Funk but these amps are absolutely stunning to play through. They are really quite versatile and you can really make a ton of believable amp sounds with it. The response of the amps and how they break up is so inviting to play. The pedals are a nice touch too, the overdrive pedals sound really damn good into the amps. I've just sold my Fender Twin but this is really scratching the itch for it. Probably the most authentic amps, if not, certainly the most fun and engaging amps I have found in a sim. They are hugely different from the clean amps found in Plini and Nolly IMO.

Give them a whirl!
Old 7th July 2020
Gear Nut

I've had about 30 mins playing through all the different toys on offer in this one and yeah I gotta say I'm really enjoying it for a range of reasons:

The Amp Snob has great drive switch in it, can totally enjoy crunch and combined with the really nice pedals (overdrive and distortion) there's a nice meaty and versatile tone shaping combo just with that one. The reverb is great, the shimmer a total gimmick so thats not a plus but hey its a switch you can use if you want to (I wont as no way to shape the shimmer) but I'm really enjoying the reverb, my kind of sound, not overbearing, definitely not subtle. The delay is really nicely paired with it, similar to Nolly but I prefer this one.

The cabinets aren't my favourite, especially as I prefer heavier sounds in general, thats my least known/understood part. Since this is for funk and clean I'm going to read other people's comments on why these shine or dont. The Amp Snob combined with the first cabinet really is my preferred combo, try that if you want to go for heavier stuff, including really nice leads.

The Wah is fun and has enough knob tweaking to get the desired cutoff/sensitivity, its going to be a fun (again for me if not gimmicky) thing to add to some guitar parts, just because its there which is most welcome.

A couple of other impressions: The graphic EQ has always been something I've enjoyed with Neural stuff, great to have and in this one I think it really shines with the amps they have, some of the other Archetypes can get harsh with 'wrong' eq adjustments but I've found this one by far the most forgiving, well done on this front and testament to the work done on this one. Thats my opinion, try for yourself.

Its also nice to see a decked out interface, with all the now standard additions of tuning, settings, metronome and the full suite of pedals make up a very tempting package. An excellent choice for someone looking to get into Neural's somewhat compressed but very much responsive playing.

As a starting point, try the Clean Machine amp and cab and activate the overdrive pedal, add The Wash reverb mix at about 10am and tweak away, I'm really enjoying it so far. Will see after a few days whether its a keeper or not as I do own a few Neural's (Abasi, Nolly, Omega) that I've been perfectly happy to have without needing more.
Old 7th July 2020
Lives for gear

very good addition to their collection given quad cortex is on its way, and it'll help open them up to a wider audience. haven't demo''d yet but look forward to trying it!
Old 8th July 2020
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by luke_maple1 View Post
I'm not huge on Funk but these amps are absolutely stunning to play through. They are really quite versatile and you can really make a ton of believable amp sounds with it. The response of the amps and how they break up is so inviting to play. The pedals are a nice touch too, the overdrive pedals sound really damn good into the amps. I've just sold my Fender Twin but this is really scratching the itch for it. Probably the most authentic amps, if not, certainly the most fun and engaging amps I have found in a sim. They are hugely different from the clean amps found in Plini and Nolly IMO.

Give them a whirl!
THIS!!!

I've tried the demo yesterday and I had such a blast. I don't even own a Strat at the moment but man, these are so engaging to play. I don't see this as a funk collection of amps at all. Sure, they are great for that but at the same time they are much more.
Old 8th July 2020
Here for the gear
It amazes me how far amp simulation has come just over the last several years. This plugin sounds absolutely phenomenal. Purchased immediately. Props to Neural DSP!
Old 8th July 2020
Lives for gear

Thanks. I am a big user of clean sounds and fan of funk and R&B genre guitar sounds. I demoed the Archetype: Cory Wong this morning. I compared it to a few other sims I have, IKM AT 4 and STARK. Tried to dial up similar clean sounds and compare them.

The GUI on this one is amazing to work with and much easier to work with while you are holding a guitar and looking out at the screen from 3 to 4 feet away. It also definitely sounds much more realistic. It doesn't have that heavy emphasized pick attack sound that is common in most sims. Archetype: Cory Wong also seems to use less CPU resources than AT 4.

But I felt I was able able to dial up very similar clean sounds in the other sims -- just not without the pick attack. I am not able to dial up NeuralDSP heavyier sounds in other sims. At $146 USD seems a little steep for a software VST. That's around $200 CDN. A Strymon Iridium is around $550 which is a pedal in itself and you can load up your own IRs and what not.
Old 8th July 2020
Lives for gear

Tad too clean for me from video but I'll try the demo.
Old 8th July 2020
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neptune45 View Post
Tad too clean for me from video but I'll try the demo.
You can also get edge of breakup and high gain tones with this plugin.
Old 8th July 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forgotso View Post
You can also get edge of breakup and high gain tones with this plugin.
Cheers - gonna try the demo now.
Old 8th July 2020
Lives for gear

What AMP types are being emulated? It sounds like no individual realworld AMP was modelled.
Old 9th July 2020
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by electro View Post
What AMP types are being emulated? It sounds like no individual realworld AMP was modelled.
This was posted to their FB page. The models are based on the following amps.

1. D.I. Funk Console: SSL Channel Strip
2. The Clean Machine: Roland Jazz Chorus
3. The Amp Snob: Dumble
Old 9th July 2020
Gear Nut

Quote:

2. The Clean Machine: Roland Jazz Chorus
3. The Amp Snob: Dumble
I noticed a JC120 behind him at a live show, so i figured The Clean Machine may have been a Jazz Chorus. Shame there isn't a chorus in the plug.
Old 9th July 2020
Lives for gear

Really liking this one as well now having downloaded the demo. Probably get it. Can get some really nice crunch and low distorted tones in addition to the clean ones.
Old 9th July 2020
Gear Nut

I spent the afternoon yesterday trying this. I loved it. I have used many amp sims, and my favorite were the Chandler Gav from plugin alliance/UA and the fender 2 collection from IK Amplitube. The key to me is wether the amp sim leads you to be creative or not. I used Plini for a while but it was conducing to this washed out high gain sound that, while great, it didn't suit my creative style (I was just pretending to be a guitar hero for a while). With Archetype: Cory Wong, I immediately started to come up with usable parts, and I started recording ideas.

Some comments: the high gain sounds are really good. You can get this elusive "clean" high gain which is hairy but well defined. The cleans are amazing, the plugin invites you to explore dry in your face sounds, which is great. The wah is very good, much better than the amplitube ones. The shimmer button is a gimmick, it gives the same tail whatever you play (more or less of course). The drive pedals are very good. The three amps are good, the number three one is exceptional.
Old 9th July 2020
Gear Addict

Quote:

I wonder how can it be an SSL channel when it's labeled as "Tube Sat", and it clearly has an asymmetric biased clipping?
Old 9th July 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by matiascova View Post
I spent the afternoon yesterday trying this. I loved it. I have used many amp sims, and my favorite were the Chandler Gav from plugin alliance/UA and the fender 2 collection from IK Amplitube. The key to me is wether the amp sim leads you to be creative or not. I used Plini for a while but it was conducing to this washed out high gain sound that, while great, it didn't suit my creative style (I was just pretending to be a guitar hero for a while). With Archetype: Cory Wong, I immediately started to come up with usable parts, and I started recording ideas.

Some comments: the high gain sounds are really good. You can get this elusive "clean" high gain which is hairy but well defined. The cleans are amazing, the plugin invites you to explore dry in your face sounds, which is great. The wah is very good, much better than the amplitube ones. The shimmer button is a gimmick, it gives the same tail whatever you play (more or less of course). The drive pedals are very good. The three amps are good, the number three one is exceptional.
I compared this to IKM AT 4 Fender Coll 2 as it's also m fav sounding sim. This sounds weaker than AT 4 -- I realize they are not the same modeled amps and I am obviously inclined to like IKM F Col 2 because those are the amps I am more familiar with in real life. I still might pick this up if it goes on sale as I dont have a Dumble modeled sim I think.
Old 9th July 2020
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by telecode View Post
I compared this to IKM AT 4 Fender Coll 2 as it's also m fav sounding sim. This sounds weaker than AT 4 -- I realize they are not the same modeled amps and I am obviously inclined to like IKM F Col 2 because those are the amps I am more familiar with in real life. I still might pick this up if it goes on sale as I dont have a Dumble modeled sim I think.
My only issue with Amplitube 4 is that getting nice sounds tale a little bit more of an effort. Is it too easy to make it sound bad. Neural DSP plugins have a wider sweet spot.
Old 9th July 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by matiascova View Post
My only issue with Amplitube 4 is that getting nice sounds tale a little bit more of an effort. Is it too easy to make it sound bad. Neural DSP plugins have a wider sweet spot.
maybe. but for sure, the GUI of Neural puts AT 4 to shame.
📝 Reply