Korneff Audio - Pawn Shop Comp 2.0

https://korneffaudio.com/product/pawn-shop-comp-2-0/

Pawn Shop Comp 2.0 is here!
-
FREE upgrade for existing users
-
Use coupon code PSC2FreeUpgrade at Checkout
-

A unique hybrid emulated tube/FET circuit lets the Pawn Shop Comp handle virtually any compression task you throw at it. Complete controls for all compressor parameters let you tailor response from smooth to punchy to total crush. It sounds great on any sound source and in virtually any application. More than a compressor, the Pawn Shop Comp also has a fully adjustable tube preamp, a two band equalizer, and swappable components that give you unprecedented control of of every parameter of the plugin.

$59.99 Introductory price ends 7/19/20

Here's what's new in Pawn Shop Comp 2.0:

- Completely redesigned (and LARGER) GUI
- Expanded ranges on all parameters (attack/release/ratio/etc...)
- 100 Presets created by Dan Korneff (ME!)
- 3 selectable preamp tube flavors
- 3 selectable output transformer flavors
- GUI zoom / resize
- Oversampling
- 4 selectable resistor characteristics
- Additional frequency points added to Weight and Focus
- Operation Level circuit dialed in for more grime
- i/o meters repositioned vertically
- 7 day - fully functional - uninterrupted demo!

Old 4th July 2020
Lives for gear
I DONT NEED ANOTHER COMP ! I DONT NEED ANOTHER COMP!
Well ? Maybe I do ! Just. One more lol
Old 4th July 2020
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmade View Post
I DONT NEED ANOTHER COMP ! I DONT NEED ANOTHER COMP!
Well ? Maybe I do ! Just. One more lol

That’s me every day when looking at all the new compressor plugins on gearslutz.
Old 4th July 2020
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Squeegee 303 View Post

That’s me every day when looking at all the new compressor plugins on gearslutz.
I drank the kool aid and bought the talkback limiter and its way krazy good so maybe I do need the new one !
Old 4th July 2020
Gear Addict

Thanks for the free upgrade that's rad Dan! This comp is great, nice and squishy and useful as a preamp / saturator as well.
Old 5th July 2020
Here for the gear

Thankyou for the free upgrade Dan and for the free gift that's coming for those who originally paid more on PSC's release (wahoooo! more good stuff coming folks!!!) Loving this comp!! I did comment (but deleted) about the lack of wet signal volume control, but, of course, there is the dial for that by the VU meter.

UPDATE:- Just had to post that this thing is amazing!! What it just did to my Roland Cloud 909 snare!! The weight, drive, presence it gave. I had to double check because my Reaper meters were showing a more than 3dB reduction in peak level using PSC2 even though it actually sound much louder (and not in a horrible over the top distorted way) than when bypassed. How can this use so little CPU? Beautiful!!

Last edited by hesnotthemessiah; 5th July 2020 at 02:40 AM..
Old 5th July 2020
Lives for gear

Korneff makes the best 'attitude' compressors. This and Talkback are essential ITB for drums and bass (and probably lots more).

Really excited to see what comes next 😀
Old 5th July 2020
Here for the gear

Yes love Talkback aswell. Like you say, both PSC and Talkback work great for me on stuff like the Roland Cloud TB303, 909+808 plus TAL's BassLine 101 and BeepStreet's Dagger. Attitude!!!! Love experimenting with the back panel options. The new Resistor Type "Metal Film 1%" really brought out the 909 snare.
Old 5th July 2020
Gear Addict

This is based on what unit?
Old 5th July 2020
Gear Maniac

Looking forward to trying it! Seems to tick all the boxes - mix knob, low CPU, good GUI. Just hoping it’s stable and fast

490MB download is surprising though!
Old 5th July 2020
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by rojhmusic View Post
Old 5th July 2020
Here for the gear

Hey, Dan! What's the difference between the 12AX7 and ECC83 preamp tubes? To my understanding they're the exact same spec, but 12AX7 is the U.S. designation and ECC83 the British.
Old 5th July 2020
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayveekay View Post
Hey, Dan! What's the difference between the 12AX7 and ECC83 preamp tubes? To my understanding they're the exact same spec, but 12AX7 is the U.S. designation and ECC83 the British.
ECC83 = 12AX7 = B339 = 95-127-01 = 6L13 = CM1 = ECC83S

ECC83 1954 by Telefunken, Germany
Old 5th July 2020
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOT CONNECTED View Post
ECC83 = 12AX7 = B339 = 95-127-01 = 6L13 = CM1 = ECC83S

ECC83 1954 by Telefunken, Germany
Yep... that's why I'm wondering about the different preamp tube options in the plugin.
Old 5th July 2020
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayveekay View Post
Yep... that's why I'm wondering about the different preamp tube options in the plugin.
its not british, its german
Old 5th July 2020
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOT CONNECTED View Post
its not british, its german
From what I can find it seems the ECC83 name is the Mullard-Philips designation, so... Dutch-British, I guess.

Sources:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/12AX7
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mullar...be_designation
Old 5th July 2020
Lives for gear

I did not purchase this the first time around. But after falling in love with the Talkback Limiter and seeing what this has now become, just purchased.
Old 5th July 2020
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by rojhmusic View Post
It isn’t really based on any one thing. Its main signal path is modeled from a 1940’s era tube preamp. The side chain circuit is an FET emulation, kinda like an 1176.

I guess it could be described as a tube 1176, but it doesn’t sound like that really, although it has elements of both.

There’s a 7 day fully functional demo. Try it out and tell us what you think.

https://korneffaudio.com/?add-to-cart=7936
Old 5th July 2020
Although, the preamp tubes are all the same variant, sonic characteristics can change greatly, dependent upon the manufacturer and manufacturing process.
Check out this chart that measures average gain and noise from different tube brands. You might be surprised by what you find
https://www.evatco.com.au/12ax7-comparisons/
Old 5th July 2020
Lives for gear

demoed comp and limiter, both sound really really good.
18V distortion could sound a bid better though.
Old 5th July 2020
Quote:
Originally Posted by TonStrom View Post
18V distortion could sound a bid better though.
The Talkback limiter 18V distortion is a little Easter Egg that's supposed to simulate power failure. I GUESS I could analyze the effects of a "brown out" vs. dropping a bipolar rail...
Might have to put that at the bottom of the To-Do list though
Old 5th July 2020
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Korneff View Post
The Talkback limiter 18V distortion is a little Easter Egg that's supposed to simulate power failure. I GUESS I could analyze the effects of a "brown out" vs. dropping a bipolar rail...
Might have to put that at the bottom of the To-Do list though
LOL - I LOVE dropping that bipolar rail - sounds fkn AMAZING!
Old 6th July 2020
Lives for gear

This thing is extremely interesting! It's so deep with features and interactive controls that it'll take at least a week to master properly. Wish it had a bit longer demo time considering how deep it is.

Still, I suspect I will have to purchase this simply due to how unique it's tone and compression is.

Feature Request: Longer max release time! It's so incredibly musical even at max release times that it'd be interesting to use it as a gentle leveler with up to 3 or 4 seconds release times.. also if possible, a gentler minimum ratio.. again, for use as deep threshold leveling.

Feature Request 2: A way to switch the operation of Input and Output gain knobs. Currently they also affect the DRY signal when using the wet/dry knob. This is extremely annoying and makes balancing hard pushed saturated stuff very difficult. I need that output knob for balancing the mayhem I've caused. Sometimes I need all -20dB of it.. well.. as it is now, it also affects the DRY which you can imagine gets extremely tricky to use.

As a pure tone box it also delivers some really interesting possibilities. Will need a lot more testing to grok all the secrets!

EDIT: Not sure the oversampling is working as intended. There is almost zero cpu usage increase even at x16 oversampling and the relatively heavy aliasing of the plugin seems to not get diminished at all. Only ran a few synth sweeps through this as I don't have plugin doctor installed on this laptop but I suspect something is a bit off.. anybody wanna check?

Windows 8.1 using the VST3 plugin.

Last edited by bmanic; 6th July 2020 at 01:14 AM..
Old 6th July 2020
Lives for gear

Didn't the original PSC have a 15 day demo??
Old 6th July 2020
Lives for gear

Love it! Thanka for the free upgrade.
Old 6th July 2020
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmanic View Post
Feature Request: Longer max release time!
I experimented with longer release times and the unit became boring. The "exciting" range to my ears is between FCCW and 300ms, and increasing the range past 1.2s restricted the amount of control you had in that range. Maybe a 2Xbutton could be added?

Quote:
Feature Request 2: A way to switch the operation of Input and Output gain knobs.
Currently, the entire processing path is sandwiched between the input and output controls. It sounds like tapping the dry signal before the input control is what you're looking for. PM me with some more details.

Quote:
Not sure the oversampling is working as intended.
I'll pass that on to the developer (ME!)

Last edited by Dan Korneff; 6th July 2020 at 03:03 AM.. Reason: spelling
Old 6th July 2020
Quote:
Originally Posted by profvonsok View Post
Didn't the original PSC have a 15 day demo??
PSC's original demo period never expired, but used audio interruptions as a form of piracy protection. The new version gives you 7 days, fully functional, non-interrupted play time.
Old 6th July 2020
Lives for gear

Oh maaaaan, I love this compressor. I didn't want to spend nearly $100 CAD today but I'm going to have to.
Old 6th July 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
I experimented with longer release times and the unit became boring. The "exciting" range to my ears is between FCCW and 300ms, and increasing the range past 1.2s restricted the amount of control you had in that range. Maybe a 2Xbutton could be added?
Well, for some audio cases a very long, indeed boring, release time is required. Long release times combined with long attack times are great subtle ways of "calming down" audio sources. It is quite rare to have such a musical long release which obviously shows there is quite a lot of program dependent and frequency dependent stuff going on under the hood. I love how it sounds!

A 2x button would indeed be the simplest solution and would work wonders! It would have the added benefit of quickly A/B comparing short timings with the same inherent "rhythm". So you could quickly A/B 25ms vs 50ms.. provided that the button is on the front panel close to the release control.

Quote:
Currently, the entire processing path is sandwiched between the input and output controls. It sounds like tapping the dry signal before the input control is what you're looking for. PM me with some more details.
That is indeed exactly what I mean.

The reason: It's just way easier to blend. First you setup your distortion mayhem exactly like you want it, compensate for the added gain that happens (setting it to basically unity with the original source). then simply set dry/wet knob to taste. No need for juggling back and forth between 3 knobs (!!).
Old 6th July 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Maybe a 2Xbutton could be added?
That's a really good idea. As bmanic said it would be great to check out different release times, why not expand it further and also add a 1/2 button?
📝 Reply