The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Korneff Audio - Pawn Shop Comp 2.0
Old 21st July 2020 | Show parent
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbraner View Post
That is my plan.
I'll be mixing later this week or maybe next week - so we'll see.
I *think* I'll be trying this on a lot of tracks and replacing my "saturation" plugin(s) too.
I *think* I'll leave it off (ie use something else on) the drums buss and main buss though - but maybe just use the saturation (the "back") on the drums buss.

So, that's what I *think* will happen - but reality might be different
I'm looking forward to it anyway
We would love a rundown on how it works for you, and what you did with it. We are always trying to learn from our customers.

Speaking of the drum bus, have you tried our Talkback Limiter on it?

Luke
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Korneff Audio View Post
Speaking of the drum bus, have you tried our Talkback Limiter on it?

Luke
I'm looking for a "light touch"
Old 21st July 2020
Lives for gear

I see no reason why the PSC could/should not be used on the drum bus. For extreme effects, Talkback Limiter takes over where PSC leaves off. 🤟
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Korneff View Post
I've definitely pondered this It's on the radar, but I have to finish a few more things in development before this happens.

Not yet. I'm currently researching a better way to implement this feature.

Thank you so much! Your support means more to us than you'll ever know.

There were a few other suggestions for this as well. A side bar could be fun! Definitely on my list of things to do.

I design the preset browser to easily add preset packs in the future, but by doing so, the browser "appears" to be empty because there is only 1 category, and the folder structure is collapsed. Click on "Dan Korneff" in the first column and you'll find what you're looking for.

Would you mind sending an email to support (a) korneffaudio.com so I can get more info?
So, I finally had the time to check this again and yes - the presets are there under the Dan Korneff disguise :D Also, today that needle keeps moving no matter what the GUI zoom is, so it must have been a temporary glitch of some sort.

Rock on!
Quote:
Originally Posted by World Studios View Post
it must have been a temporary glitch of some sort.
Those are my favorite bugs to find
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Korneff View Post
Those are my favorite bugs to find
Those are the hardest ones to catch. Like a bad contact or soldering inside a huge circuit board. 😱
Old 22nd July 2020
Here for the gear

I really want to like this compressor, but the GUI just drives me nuts. Just some very baffling, clunky choices, like why is there no input and/or output trim knobs on the front panel, like in pretty much every other compressor plugin out there? Why are the GUI size and oversampling options stuck in the middle of the rear panel underneath two tubes, rather than up in a little menu somewhere that I can access any time? Why do I have to click through two separate panels to get to functions that other plugins handle just fine with one panel?

The low update rate of the front analog VU meter is a drag, and makes it hard to see what its doing. I'd rather you just have the bar graph VU meters from the back panel on the front.

The rear panel... it's interesting and I love being able to change the circuitry, but it's also really messy. So much stuff on the screen but only about 50 or so % of it is clickable, and all the circuit board art it makes it hard to find the smaller options. It's just needlessly cluttered, and I think this would be much better suited to a pull-down/side menu, rather than an entirely separate screen.

It's just a shame that a plugin that sounds this great and looks like it should be simple and easy to use is actually quite a chore for workflow. Sorry to be harsh, but retooling the UI to a single space would help immensely. At the very least, get the input knob on the front!
Old 22nd July 2020 | Show parent
Here for the gear

Quote:
I'm looking for a "light touch"
I use the PSC on the drum bus a lot. For the music I am working on, the TBL can be a little too much, but the PSC, especially the new 2.0, really works well on the drum bus for me - better than the original version for certain. Have a hardware option as well, and it sounds great and cost me $$$$$.... and... maybe I am going to sell it...

Luke
Gear Maniac

Quote:
I use the PSC on the drum bus a lot. For the music I am working on, the TBL can be a little too much, but the PSC, especially the new 2.0, really works well on the drum bus for me - better than the original version for certain. Have a hardware option as well, and it sounds great and cost me $$$$$.... and... maybe I am going to sell it...

Luke
Well, I'll give it try. I figured if I have a PSC on the individual drums - I might want something else on the buss (and OH).
I'll play around though - and see how it works out
There's always room for improvement, but not everyone will agree on every product design. Some people like their Lamborghini white, and others prefer that god-awful yellow. The window in a Countach can only roll down 2 inches. No joke. Look it up. Could they have made it roll down all the way by using a piece of curved glass instead of straight glass? Most definitely.

The entire premise of Korneff Audio is to give you a complete analog experience ITB, and have fun while you're doing it. That not only goes for the viby, colored and gritty sonic aspect, but also for the interaction that the end user has with the controls and functions. I'm known to be a tinkerer. I pretty much built or modified every piece of gear in my studio. Including my beloved SSL console. I want you to have that experience.
If I want to change the Ratio of my CCA LA-1D, I have to pop open the front panel and turn some unmarked pot, hidden under some wires (carrying 500V). The only way to know the ACTUAL Ratio is to run the unit thru my AP machine and measure the curves. That is fun to me By the way, changing the ratio of that limiter also simultaneously adjusts the threshold. Design aspects like that are fun to me. Getting my hands dirty is fun to me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midee View Post
why is there no input and/or output trim knobs on the front panel, like in pretty much every other compressor plugin out there?
I use a slew of compressor plugins that do not have I/O trims. Some have a fixed threshold which require you to use an "input" and "output" control to manipulate the compression, but that's not the sale as an I/O trim.

The PSC2 has a threshold to manipulate compression and a makeup gain control located on the front panel to compensate for Gain Reduction. Tomato, tomato?

I am, however, looking into a standardized Korneff Audio plugin environment that would have I/O meters, trim, preset browser, etc... in a panel that is always visible. I'm not making any promises, but implementation could be seen as early as Q2 of next year.

Quote:
Why are the GUI size and oversampling options stuck in the middle of the rear panel underneath two tubes, rather than up in a little menu somewhere that I can access any time?
In my experience, these 2 controls are pretty much "set and forget". Find a scale that works for your monitor size and set your oversampling to a value that reduces aliasing. Done. If you find yourself tinkering with the size of your GUI and oversampling as much as you would essential controls such as Threshold and Ratio, your priorities may be quite different than ours.

Quote:
The low update rate of the front analog VU meter is a drag, and makes it hard to see what its doing. I'd rather you just have the bar graph VU meters from the back panel on the front.
The refresh rate on the VU meter and bargraph meter is the same. They are actually controlled by the same timer circuit. Is the reaction time too fast for you? Do you just dislike analog meters?

Quote:
The rear panel...It's just needlessly cluttered, and I think this would be much better suited to a pull-down/side menu, rather than an entirely separate screen.
I completely understand why you feel that way. You are looking for a streamlined interface with knobs, buttons, dropdown menus and digital meters. There are plenty of plugins out there that look and function that way. To me, those plugins closer resemble software used to file taxes than a piece of machinery used to create music. As they go against my "fun" policy, I don't see myself designing my software like that any time soon.

Quote:
It's just a shame that a plugin that sounds this great and looks like it should be simple and easy to use is actually quite a chore for workflow.
As I said at the top of the post, there is always room for improvement. Having the rear controls slide out to the side so you can access everything at once sounds awesome and I'm currently looking into this.

Quote:
Sorry to be harsh
I don't ever take anything personal, and I didn't find your post to be harsh. If you look back at this thread, you'll see that we take pride in customer service. Communication is everything. Don't feel obligated to write a "harsh" post just to get our attention. Korneff Audio is just Luke and I. We see (and reply) to everything. We encourage everyone to reach out to us for any reason, even suggestions!
Just fill out a form on our website, or email support(a)korneffaudio.com
We WANT to hear from you.
Old 22nd July 2020
wm9
Gear Head

I downloaded the demo thinking I don’t need another compressor, and bought it in less than an hour.

Great comp, tons of character. Love the tweaking in the “rear” panel. It’s pretty unique.
Gear Maniac

Quote:
After watching a couple of the videos on the Korneff site -I really like the idea of "just turn the knob till the meter starts jumping around"

In my eternal quest to figure out what I'm doing with compressors - I think this is a cool approach.
- lower threshold till the meter wiggles
- raise attack time till it sounds good
- play with release
- still sounds good? done!

That seems to be the attitude here - so I'm not sure that it matters if the meter has nanosecond response times

This doesn't seem to be the type of plugin where you set anything to "bpm/4 x 2.6ms"

But I'm just new here...
Old 22nd July 2020
Lives for gear

Dan - your plugins are aweseome, your GUIs are awesome, your service is awesome. Some of these guys around here would have never survived audio production in the 70s where you just had to DEAL with limitations and move on. Keep doing it your way.
Old 23rd July 2020 | Show parent
Here for the gear

Quote:
After watching a couple of the videos on the Korneff site -I really like the idea of "just turn the knob till the meter starts jumping around"

In my eternal quest to figure out what I'm doing with compressors - I think this is a cool approach.
- lower threshold till the meter wiggles
- raise attack time till it sounds good
- play with release
- still sounds good? done!

That seems to be the attitude here - so I'm not sure that it matters if the meter has nanosecond response times

This doesn't seem to be the type of plugin where you set anything to "bpm/4 x 2.6ms"

But I'm just new here...
Hey there,

I love it, and you’re right. Get the meter to wiggle, play with the attack, play with the release, and move on!

Release is maybe the hardest parameter to set. I just wrote up a whole thing on setting compressor release times - we sent it via email and if you’re on our list you should have gotten it. It is really pretty complete and goes into a lot of examples on how to use release, and how the meter should look.

https://korneffaudio.com/ye-shall-be...-release-time/

Remember that the ballistics of VU meters (how fast it moves, how accurately it tracks a wave form) are really all over the place, and they only track the dynamics of certain signals well - no VU is fast enough to give you a good idea of what a drum is doing in terms of level, really. So don’t worry about the numbers on the VU, think about the way it looks. The videos I made for the above blog post keep pounding on this - the meter should look like the track sounds.

Feel free to PM if you have questions. Keep at it! You’re on the right path.

Warm regards,
Luke
Korneff Audio
Gear Maniac

Hi Luke,

I was looking forward to the release time video(s) - I knew it was coming soon
Lives for gear

Accidentally i deleted an email from Korneff titled "oops".
What was it about please?

thanks
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonStrom View Post
Accidentally i deleted an email from Korneff titled "oops".
What was it about please?

thanks
It was an email saying they had accidentally sent a bunch of emails to some on their mailing list. I did not get any of the "accident" emails, only the "oops" one.
Lives for gear

also only "the oops" here, but thank you for clearing up!
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by no genre View Post
It was an email saying they had accidentally sent a bunch of emails to some on their mailing list. I did not get any of the "accident" emails, only the "oops" one.
It is hard to tell exactly who got what, so I thought better a blanket apology to everyone rather than trying to target whomever might have gotten too many.

We’ve gotten a bunch of emails regarding the mistake, and a few posts on Facebook, and all of them have been so funny and supportive and plain old warm and nice. Dan and I chatted a bit about how nice all our customers are.

We really do appreciate you guys so so much. We’re always delighted to hear from you in any way, shape or form.

Warm Regards,
Luke
Old 24th July 2020 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Hey there,

I love it, and you’re right. Get the meter to wiggle, play with the attack, play with the release, and move on!

https://korneffaudio.com/ye-shall-be...-release-time/

... the meter should look like the track sounds.

Warm regards,
Luke
Korneff Audio
Thanks again Luke I really enjoyed these videos also and appreciate the way the Auto-Gain is set up along with the continuing discussion of balancing gain - your approach show how you deal with that along with the release sweeping.
Here for the gear

Quote:
It was made to be used on many different tracks in a mix - that was Dan’s main criteria when he designed it. You will find you reach for it often.
True. Worked on basically everything... drums, percussions, bass, vocals, gtrs.

My "only" issue is that so far I cannot predict what the various electronic component switches do (other than the valve one... that's kind of clear -- other than the fact that I was under the impression that ECC83 and 12AX7 should be kind of the same valve... to me it sounds like a "british" vs. "american" voicing, the ECC83 being a bit warmer and grittier; whether that's the original intention or not, works for me, at least as a starting point).

For the others, however, I simply end up trying them, but I still have not figured how to "predict" what kind of colour they will provide -- probably did not do enough electronics --.

Other than that, what's with oversampling? What does it mean "broken"?
TBH, feels weird that 16x OS does not hit the CPU in the least. Perhaps because it is not really doing it?
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by rik0 View Post
True. Worked on basically everything... drums, percussions, bass, vocals, gtrs.

My "only" issue is that so far I cannot predict what the various electronic component switches do (other than the valve one... that's kind of clear -- other than the fact that I was under the impression that ECC83 and 12AX7 should be kind of the same valve... to me it sounds like a "british" vs. "american" voicing, the ECC83 being a bit warmer and grittier; whether that's the original intention or not, works for me, at least as a starting point).

For the others, however, I simply end up trying them, but I still have not figured how to "predict" what kind of colour they will provide -- probably did not do enough electronics --.

TBH, feels weird that 16x OS does not hit the CPU in the least. Perhaps because it is not really doing it?
Hey there,

In the manual for the PSC there are some descriptions of what the various swappable components do, but the aural effects are hard to predict because a lot of how things will sound is dependent on the signal itself, the amount of gain through the plugin, etc.

Manual -> https://korneffaudio.com/wp-content/...2-0-manual.pdf

The PSC has very complex modeling such that it its “tubes” and “transformers” behave like their real world counterparts. Unlike a lot of plugins, the swappable components don’t simple shelve off 2dB at 18kHz or what have you. In the PSC, the effect on a signal might happen principally when the gain reaches a certain level, but that might depend on frequency response of the signal as well.

That being said, 12AX7 in mostly neutral in gain and color, the ECC83 has a lot more gain and if you push it hard you’lll really hear the difference between the two, and the 5751 has considerably less gain than the other two AND has a slight high end loss going on. I think like this with the tubes:

12AX7 = normal
ECC83 = hard
5751 = mellow or soft

Not very scientific but it helps my thinking when I’m using the piece.

The transformers are even more difficult to quantify. Sometimes the difference between the three are glaringly obvious, but very often you can’t hear it, and this is exactly like how transformers are in real life.

From the manual: Nickel has a flat response, Iron is bright and tight sounding, and Steel is round, dark and has a low end bump.

My thinking is:
Nickel = normal
Iron = lean
Steel = fat

However, there are definitely times when I can’t hear a difference, or I hear almost the opposite happening.

The swappable FET’s are very subtle, except when they aren’t subtle. The 2N5486 is predictable. It’s punchy and its response makes the PSC work in a manner similar to that of an 1176. 90% of the time that is how I have it set. The 2N3820 usually sounds less punchy to my ears, but the release “feels” different. Sometimes it makes the PSC more "LA-2a” like, but other times really the opposite.

The resistors - I think of them in terms of age. Carbon sounds old, metal film sounds new, I tend to leave them on metal film because the biggest effect of the resistors in way up in the high end. However... the carbon works nice when a vocal is a bit harsh. In fact, Carbon, 5751, and Steel is my default for vocals in the mix.

A last thing: play with the Operating Level control. And not by cranking it up, but by just barely cracking it open. Crank it, you’ll be rewarded by huge amounts of a very specific kind of distortion. At low settings, though, it seems to add a touch of presence to a signal - excellent for making a high value part stick out a bit in the mix.

Oversampling isn’t working consistently and we are preparing an update as I write this.

Hope this helps. Your questions and comments are much appreciated.

Luke
Korneff Audio
Quote:
Originally Posted by rik0 View Post
Oversampling is currently only encapsulating a couple of the modules, so others in the signal path could still cause aliasing. I'm on it!
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by kylen View Post
Thanks again Luke I really enjoyed these videos also and appreciate the way the Auto-Gain is set up along with the continuing discussion of balancing gain - your approach show how you deal with that along with the release sweeping.
Thanks for this kind note. Glad things are helpful to you. Feel free to suggest other topics that you want to know more about.

Luke
Old 24th July 2020
Lives for gear

I missed the sale - can you bring it back for the end of the month... please : ))
Old 25th July 2020 | Show parent
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by MogwaiBoy View Post
I missed the sale - can you bring it back for the end of the month... please : ))
We do sales whenever we release a new plugin. We have something in the works and it will be out soon. Get on our mailing list so you don’t miss anything!

Luke
Korneff Audio
Old 25th July 2020 | Show parent
Quote:
We do sales whenever we release a new plugin. We have something in the works and it will be out soon. Get on our mailing list so you don’t miss anything!

Luke
Korneff Audio
Just a quick tip, even if it very personal or at least national.....and this goes for all plugin developer......
In Sweden we all get our salaries in the 25th or 27th. And every sale that goes before that is harder for most of us to buy.
At least for the guys like me that is not doing this economically 100%.
No worries I get this another time....great compressor.
Old 27th July 2020 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

I've been using PSC a lot today, and running it on a lot of tracks (*and* the drum buss too).

One thing I noticed is that Reaper crashed a lot today. I can't prove that it's caused by PSC - but that's what's new right now.
It seems intermittent - and I can't recreate the steps (yet) - but it seems to happen while I leave Reaper playing in a loop - and go to open an instance of PSC. sometimes it happens when I try to open the FX bin (which has PSC in it).

Has anyone seen crashes in Reaper like this?

Windows 10 x64
Reaper 6.13 (latest) x64
big buffers ('cause I'm mixing and loading FX)

I'm saving a lot, so it's not too bad - but this doesn't usually happen.

EDIT - it's a runtime error in Reaper.exe. I'll try to remember to capture the error message next time...
Old 28th July 2020 | Show parent
Quote:
EDIT - it's a runtime error in Reaper.exe. I'll try to remember to capture the error message next time...
Can you send this info to support(a)korneffaudio.com ?
I have one other report similar to this on Reaper.
Old 28th July 2020 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

I'll try to grab one...
📝 Reply