Gearslutz

Gearslutz (https://www.gearslutz.com/board/)
-   Product Alerts older than 2 months (https://www.gearslutz.com/board/product-alerts-older-than-2-months/)
-   -   Korneff Audio - Pawn Shop Comp 2.0 (https://www.gearslutz.com/board/product-alerts-older-than-2-months/1317405-korneff-audio-pawn-shop-comp-2-0-a.html)

no genre 6th July 2020 03:16 PM

This really is another fine piece of work, Dan. Lots of color and extremely versatile. Love it. So far you've only released two VSTs into the wild - that I'm aware of - and they've both become desert island plugins for me. Kudos, dude.

nil hartman 6th July 2020 07:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bmanic (Post 14840882)
TEDIT: Not sure the oversampling is working as intended. There is almost zero cpu usage increase even at x16 oversampling and the relatively heavy aliasing of the plugin seems to not get diminished at all.

@ Dan Korneff

I was curious after reading bmanic's post. Same happens with Talkback Limiter OSX Mojave 10.14.6 / VST3, testing now with PluginDoctor. Harmonic plot looks identical at 0x and 16x (while it looks really different when switching PD's ample rate).

Not demoing PSC 2.0 as I can't end buying a new compressor now :lol: Pretty sure it sounds amazing, considering TalkBack Limiter's amazing sonics.

Dan Korneff 6th July 2020 07:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nil hartman (Post 14842246)
Same happens with Talkback Limiter OSX Mojave 10.14.6 / VST3, testing now with PluginDoctor.

Thanks for this!

Quote:

Originally Posted by nil hartman (Post 14842246)
Not demoing PSC 2.0 as I can't end buying a new compressor now :lol:

You know where to find us when you're ready ;)

Pali 6th July 2020 08:40 PM

The Ratio knob moves very fast with the mouse wheel. Can you please smooth it down?

dick swifter 6th July 2020 09:17 PM

Demoing this today, am I missing something? Some strange behavior going on. Im digging the tones, but the PWR toggle should be the same as turning the plugin off, right? In my case it turns the meter off but still retains the volume increase from the weight and focus settings.
It’s also kind of a workflow killer to have to toggle pages to get to the mix and output knobs. I understand toggling to get to the “under the hood” settings, but not those. I’m using the AU version in Logic X 10.4, in Sierra.

Dan Korneff 7th July 2020 02:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dick swifter (Post 14842465)
Im digging the tones, but the PWR toggle should be the same as turning the plugin off, right?

This is by design. It allows you to disable the compressor sidechain and use the box for saturation/EQ. Maybe changing PWR to COMP might make that more apparent.

Dan Korneff 7th July 2020 02:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pali (Post 14842412)
The Ratio knob moves very fast with the mouse wheel. Can you please smooth it down?

Since the Ratio is set to move in increments of 1, it's not possible to change the behavior.
You can, however, use CTRL+scroll on all of the other controls to make fine adjustments.
Shift+click on controls allow you to type in a value.

Silver Sonya 7th July 2020 03:26 AM

there are presets? I'm not seeing presets. Am I missing something?

no genre 7th July 2020 04:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Silver Sonya (Post 14842944)
there are presets? I'm not seeing presets. Am I missing something?

Click the "Pawn Shop Comp" piece of tape on the face of the GUI. :)

It may be worthwhile going through the manual, if only once. If you missed the factory preset thing, there are other - pretty cool - things you're most likely missing, too. It may well be time well spent. Only 14 pages. Some pictures, too. kfhkh

doom64 7th July 2020 09:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by no genre (Post 14843014)
Click the "Pawn Shop Comp" piece of tape on the face of the GUI. :)

It may be worthwhile going through the manual, if only once. If you missed the factory preset thing, there are other - pretty cool - things you're most likely missing, too. It may well be time well spent. Only 14 pages. Some pictures, too. kfhkh

Absolutely! The new user manual is great.

Version 2 fixed the major problem I had with 1.0--GUI size.

For those who slept on PSC before, now is the time to try it out.

Sacha 7th July 2020 09:12 PM

Have to agree I'm not a fan of hidden 'secret' GUI functions in a plugin. It's a digital tool; don't sacrifice usability to make it look like a piece of hardware. #digitalproud

It sounds awesome though which is the most important thing!

Dan Korneff 7th July 2020 10:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sacha (Post 14844333)
Have to agree I'm not a fan of hidden 'secret' GUI functions in a plugin.

The whole premise of Korneff Audio is based around my love for tinkering with analog gear. It's the slogan of the company.... giving you access to "the other side of sound". I wanted to give that experience to everyone in the digital realm.

With that in mind, I realize the concepts of circuit design may not be commonplace for most modern engineers. For that reason, I've left all of the standard controls on the front panel, where you can use the compressor as you would any other typical compressor.
Now... if you really feel like getting down and dirty with the inner workings of the circuit, pop open the lid a start turning knobs. Before you know it, you'll be researching feedback loops in amplifiers, tube gain characteristics and Schottky noise, effects of temperature on analog circuits, etc... the list goes on and on.

Developing the design this way effectively solves 2 issues at the same time.
#1 - it removes any intimidation factor associated with a single channel compressor consisting of 30 knobs.
#2 - each user can decide how they want to interact with the unit. For instance, many people mix on SSL consoles with excellent results. Not many mixers swap out opamps and capacitors to shape the sound of their console differently. kfhkh It's completely up to you.

I was doing some analysis on another compressor plugin the other day. Went to flip to the rear panel... and it didn't exist. You have no idea how frustrating that was for me. :lol::lol:

Quote:

Originally Posted by dick swifter (Post 14842465)
It’s also kind of a workflow killer to have to toggle pages to get to the mix and output knobs.

Valid point. Some people use those options more than I do and would consider them to be essential controls for normal operation.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sacha (Post 14844333)
It sounds awesome though which is the most important thing!

I almost NEVER talk about the sound quality of my products. I let the unit speak for itself. It makes me so happy that you are enjoying the PSC as much as I do!

Sacha 7th July 2020 10:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dan Korneff (Post 14844449)
The whole premise of Korneff Audio is based around my love for tinkering with analog gear. It's the slogan of the company.... giving you access to "the other side of sound". I wanted to give that experience to everyone in the digital realm.

With that in mind, I realize the concepts of circuit design may not be commonplace for most modern engineers. For that reason, I've left all of the standard controls on the front panel, where you can use the compressor as you would any other typical compressor.
Now... if you really feel like getting down and dirty with the inner workings of the circuit, pop open the lid a start turning knobs. Before you know it, you'll be researching feedback loops in amplifiers, tube gain characteristics and Schottky noise, effects of temperature on analog circuits, etc... the list goes on and on.

#1 - it removes any intimidation factor associated with a single channel compressor consisting of 30 knobs.
#2 - each user can decide how they want to interact with the unit. For instance, many people mix on SSL consoles with excellent results. Not many mixers swap out opamps and capacitors to shape the sound of their console differently. kfhkh It's completely up to you.

I was doing some analysis on another compressor plugin the other day. Went to flip to the rear panel... and it didn't exist. You have no idea how frustrating that was for me. :lol::lol:

I almost NEVER talk about the sound quality of my products. I let the unit speak for itself. It makes me so happy that you are enjoying the PSC as much as I do!

Thank you for the detailed reply Dan, you're awesome! Just to clarify my post, I do enjoy the hidden tweaks panel, just not having it hidden by clicking on the logo. Advanced features are totally cool with me, I just think basic GUI functions like preset management etc. should be clearly apparent without having to crack the manual. Not a huge deal anyway, still love the plugins!

Dan Korneff 7th July 2020 10:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sacha (Post 14844483)
I just think basic GUI functions like preset management etc. should be clearly apparent without having to crack the manual.

A big reason I started developing software is so I could move faster on my projects. I kept saying "I wish I could just do this..." or "I wish I didn't need 10 plugins to get this sound..." The workflow and layout make complete sense to me, but that's because I designed it :lol::lol::lol:
Feel free to send any feedback you may have to dan (a) korneffaudio.com on things you think could be improved.
It's by no means a Democracy, but it gives me things to consider when working on a design.
<3 <3

Pali 7th July 2020 10:59 PM

Quote:

What an amazing sounding compressor you have here.

As for the GUI comments, Goodhertz plugins do an advanced page that flips on the right part of the plugin (which also can be set to open by default).

In my opinion, this is an approach that lets users get the best of both worlds.
We can have the super-fast user-friendly approach of the first panel, or the full set of options (front and back panels vertically tiled) but without having to click to get back.

The Ratio knob still feels weird to me, I find the Ratio is exponential (there's a deep difference between 2:1 and 4:1 but there's little difference from 10:1 to Inf:1)
A Ratio knob that acknowledges this would be great for the uses pointed before regarding leveling.

What are you using for the GR meter? It looks very responsive but not digital, just great and informative.

doom64 7th July 2020 11:31 PM

Quote:

I think if you added a little cog button somewhere on the front panel (lower or upper right corner), users would be happy. Even if it has the same function as the other one...going to the settings.

It's also universal to have input/output trims/make up gain controls on the front as well as the wet/dry knob. I personally like how it's setup now. The only thing I would do maybe is add optional tool tips like how Pulsar and Arturia have on their plugins.

hesnotthemessiah 8th July 2020 01:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pali (Post 14844538)
As for the GUI comments, Goodhertz plugins do an advanced page that flips on the right part of the plugin (which also can be set to open by default).

In my opinion, this is an approach that lets users get the best of both worlds.
We can have the super-fast user-friendly approach of the first panel, or the full set of options (front and back panels vertically tiled) but without having to click to get back.

Please, please consider this Dan. Would definitely help my user experience if I didn't have to flip screens, which I do quite a lot at the moment. No need to add to, or change, the GUI.

Even better:- allow the user to click the black outer area of the front GUI (the screw panel area) for where they want the back panel to appear. This would give the user the choice to display the back panel on either the top, bottom, left or right of the front panel. Then just click the same area to close it again. Great for fitting into your current workspace. I will let you have that one for free Dan;)

dick swifter 8th July 2020 03:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dan Korneff (Post 14842869)
This is by design. It allows you to disable the compressor sidechain and use the box for saturation/EQ. Maybe changing PWR to COMP might make that more apparent.

Maybe I should read the manual! Thanks for your reasonable responses to the constructive criticism. I really like having a bypass toggle and easily accessible output control when comparing plugins or for that matter, no Plugin. For instance, I have a compressor on a track, but I want to see if I can beat it with PWC, without the extra volume influencing my decision, so I tweak, level adjust and repeat. Same with bypass, so I can easily A/B if I the compressor is helping or hurting the source.

Some plugins have the “under the hood” stuff in a collapsible window that opens and closes underneath the main window. Perhaps that might be something to consider in a future update for this marvelous sounding compressor. I haven’t spent a ton of time with it yet, but it does the colored, squishy compression better than anything I currently have in my toolbox. Any tips for firm transparent-ish settings?

sdd17 9th July 2020 04:05 AM

Quote:

Valid point. Some people use those options more than I do and would consider them to be essential controls for normal operation.

Brilliant piece of technology, sounds great, looks cool as phu__k great work!!!
The cost of plugins is laughably affordable when you are accustom to purchasing
proper hardware devices that you slap across 2 channels.

Dan Korneff 9th July 2020 05:12 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by dick swifter (Post 14845721)
Any tips for firm transparent-ish settings?

This is probably the most transparent setting:
Tube: 5751
Transformer: Nickel
bias: 0
preamp: 0
weight: -2
focus: -1
Operating Level: 0
Resistor: Metal Film 1%

Give that a try!

kylen 10th July 2020 02:49 AM

Ah nice - just picked this up!!!
Very cool comp...
Here's a fun video from one of the guys at Korneff with some tips from a few months ago mastering an acoustic track (He doesn't gain adjust so no flames lol)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DnXuxi7EKNE

BTW this is an ilok thing so I don't know if I can store my license on the PC...will worry about that later (2nd no flame request lol)
Time for a tweaking party now with all the fun electronics - I didn't see a power sag but I guess this ain't a '59 Bassman either.
Serving 1% resistors... here's to some fun ITB :)

pete303 10th July 2020 09:24 AM

Will the Oversampling option be fixed before the intro price ends?

Dan Korneff 10th July 2020 10:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pete303 (Post 14849399)
Will the Oversampling option be fixed before the intro price ends?

Probability is low that I'll have an update ready before the 19th as it will take a little time to tweak. I wouldn't let that stop you from having fun with the PSC2. :)

pete303 10th July 2020 02:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dan Korneff (Post 14849483)
Probability is low that I'll have an update ready before the 19th as it will take a little time to tweak. I wouldn't let that stop you from having fun with the PSC2. :)

That's true ;) Thank's a lot for your feedback!

long_time_lurker 10th July 2020 09:40 PM

Very impressed. One of the best options for compression as sound design I have used so far. rockout
I must buy it. :facepalm:

Korneff Audio 10th July 2020 11:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kylen (Post 14848990)
Ah nice - just picked this up!!!
Very cool comp...
Here's a fun video from one of the guys at Korneff with some tips from a few months ago mastering an acoustic track (He doesn't gain adjust so no flames lol)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DnXuxi7EKNE

BTW this is an ilok thing so I don't know if I can store my license on the PC...will worry about that later (2nd no flame request lol)
Time for a tweaking party now with all the fun electronics - I didn't see a power sag but I guess this ain't a '59 Bassman either.
Serving 1% resistors... here's to some fun ITB :)

AH, yes... someone left a nasty comment because I didn’t bother to try to match the gain for the before and after, but that really wasn’t the point of the video, and no gain change is certainly not the point of mastering. And it wasn’t even a mastering thing, it was a factor for a friend I happened to capture. Oh well - I appreciate the fact you request no one flame... still happened, but no big deal.

Luke

Dan Korneff 11th July 2020 12:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Korneff Audio (Post 14850618)
AH, yes... someone left a nasty comment because I didn’t bother to try to match the gain for the before and after

I couldn't stop laughing when I read his comment. Sounds like the dude needs a Snickers.

https://static.turbosquid.com/Previe...1aab6fZoom.jpg

kylen 11th July 2020 01:08 AM

Quote:

AH, yes... someone left a nasty comment because I didn’t bother to try to match the gain for the before and after, but that really wasn’t the point of the video, and no gain change is certainly not the point of mastering. And it wasn’t even a mastering thing, it was a factor for a friend I happened to capture. Oh well - I appreciate the fact you request no one flame... still happened, but no big deal.

Luke

That was a really nice run thru on the Pawn Shop Comp Luke - even though it was v1 I smelled a winner and purchased v2 - really dug the track and what you did with it and your explanations... :)

ManMulcahy 11th July 2020 02:25 PM

Quote:

Luke

I agree with Dan, the YouTube comment was so far over the top that it was hilarious. Great video nevertheless, and it boosted my motivation to purchase PSC. kfhkh

Korneff Audio 11th July 2020 11:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kylen (Post 14850798)
That was a really nice run thru on the Pawn Shop Comp Luke - even though it was v1 I smelled a winner and purchased v2 - really dug the track and what you did with it and your explanations... :)

Hey there,

This makes my day. I’m glad it was helpful to you, and I appreciate you letting me know. Usually I get crickets or some guy telling me to f**k off and die! Lol!!

Have you been getting our emails? We’re sending weekly stuff that ranges from studio war stories to recording techniques to audio history to how to videos. If you have a PSC 2 you should be on our list.

Thanks again,
Luke