The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Midi Control App for UAD Apollo Console
Old 30th June 2020
Here for the gear

App Midi Control App for UAD Apollo Console

Hello everyone,

I've just released an App that allows you to midi map and control the Console software from UAD.

You can check the current features in this video tutorial:

There are more features that will be added soon.
For now, the App is only available for Mac, Windows development will be in plan if there are enough users interested.

The App Download Link: https://www.raduvarga.com/software/ua-midi-control

Fundraiser for the Windows Version: https://www.gofundme.com/f/ua-midi-c...indows-version
Old 30th June 2020
Here for the gear

Really nice! And could be especially useful I guess if you have a rack Apollo not directly at your fingertips and want a cheap monitor controller solution for it...
Old 30th June 2020
Lives for gear

Looks very useful. Thanks for sharing.
Old 30th June 2020
Lives for gear

Interesting. This could be useful for playing live with an Apollo.
Old 30th June 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by vargaradu View Post
Windows development will be in plan if there are enough users interested.
Count me in!
Old 1st July 2020
Lives for gear

This looks absolutly brilliant! Thank you!!
Old 15th July 2020
Here for the gear

There is a major new update out: It is now possible to control the individual Effect Parameters and Outputs (Monitor, CUE, HP).

I have also started a Fundraiser Campaign for the Windows version development, you can help speeding up the development by supporting me here: https://www.gofundme.com/f/ua-midi-c...indows-version
Old 15th July 2020
Lives for gear

Do you have a small midi controller you recommend?
Old 15th July 2020
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxy View Post
Do you have a small midi controller you recommend?
It's hard to recommend something specific, this would be highly dependent on the way you are planning to use the software.

The advantage is that you can go really cheap with your controllers and have very good results, the devices you see in my video both cost under 100โ‚ฌ and are working great for my purposes.

The Novation Launch Control you see in the video is my absolute favourite small controller. As they have been discontinued, they are very hard to find any more, though if you look on ebay long enough like I have, you can still find them.

If you want to go small, you should consider having knobs over faders - they take considerably less space.
Old 25th July 2020
Gear Head

I've been trying a few different controllers out. On hardware, I can recommend the Novation LaunchControl XL. The number of faders/knobs has a good relationship with Console, I like that the knobs have a center detent, different colored lights to help with indicating function, and 8 pages of custom User templates to map many assignments. One of my user templates has the knobs for Aux Send 1/Aux Send 2/Pan and the next template over has Unison Gain 1/ Unison Gain 2/ Unison Gain 3 while keeping the fader and two lower buttons to control channel level, Mute toggle, and Solo toggle.

Lemur and other iPad apps are also working well with Radu's app and can obviously be designed to accommodate the controls one wants.

Last edited by misa; 25th July 2020 at 10:06 PM..
Old 3rd August 2020
Here for the gear

Supercool stuff, thank you for doing this!
Old 3rd August 2020
Lives for gear

I'm thinking about getting the new Presonus Atom SQ. Do you know if I'd be able to program a few of those buttons while using the rest of it in Studio One? I know its a very specific question..
Old 4th August 2020
Great stuff!!!
Old 4th August 2020
Lives for gear

Man. Awesome! So cool that you did this. I can't believe UAD hasn't implemented midi or ipad control for the console. It's so frustrating. I feel like such an idiot clicking around on the console faders during client playback sessions. If console is intended to replace a physical mixing board, why won't they allow you to at least automate fader and have hui support. WTF?
Old 4th August 2020
Lives for gear

buying a launch control right now to try out with this!
Old 8th August 2020
Lives for gear

I am playing around with this using an akai mpd32. Amazing app!!! So useful. I have no idea how you did this.

I have a couple of questions.
1)When I have two channels mapped and then link them. The mapping disappears when I unlink them. Any ideas how to make that stick without restarting the app each time?

2)Is there a setting to stop my fader touch from cause the volume to jump to my current fader position? I forget what this is called, but in other words if a console fader is at -12 and my device fader is at -50, I don't want the console fader to drop all the way to -50 as soon as I touch my hardware.

3) Can I use 2 usb devices simultaneously?

Thanks!
Old 9th August 2020
Here for the gear

Quote:
I'm thinking about getting the new Presonus Atom SQ. Do you know if I'd be able to program a few of those buttons while using the rest of it in Studio One? I know its a very specific question..
In theory yes.
I've noticed some cases where if there is a specific DAW mode for a controller, the controller could load a template with different button/knob values. As long as they are CC or Note messages and not something else (like SysEx), it should work.

But you'll have to test to be sure, I haven't tested this specific controller yet.
Old 9th August 2020
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by quincyg View Post
I am playing around with this using an akai mpd32. Amazing app!!! So useful. I have no idea how you did this.

I have a couple of questions.
1)When I have two channels mapped and then link them. The mapping disappears when I unlink them. Any ideas how to make that stick without restarting the app each time?

2)Is there a setting to stop my fader touch from cause the volume to jump to my current fader position? I forget what this is called, but in other words if a console fader is at -12 and my device fader is at -50, I don't want the console fader to drop all the way to -50 as soon as I touch my hardware.

3) Can I use 2 usb devices simultaneously?

Thanks!
1) Do you mean that after unlinking a stereo channel, the right channel does not appear in the Channels list? That's indeed a small bug will get fixed soon. Are you linking/unlinking channels on a regular basis?

2) I know what you mean, in Ableton it's called "Takeover mode" and the options are "Pickup" or "Value scaling". I'll put this on my future features list.

3) Yes, you can use as many as you wish.
Old 9th August 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
1) Do you mean that after unlinking a stereo channel, the right channel does not appear in the Channels list? That's indeed a small bug will get fixed soon. Are you linking/unlinking channels on a regular basis.
Yes, I end up linking and unlinking faders all the time.

Have you posted about your app on the uad forum?
Old 9th August 2020
Here for the gear

Quote:
Yes, I end up linking and unlinking faders all the time.

Have you posted about your app on the uad forum?
Yes, there are a few discussions there.

- https://uadforum.com/apollo-arrow-in...p-console.html
- https://uadforum.com/general-discuss...i-control.html
Old 9th August 2020
Lives for gear

I picked up a novation launch control xl and akai midimix. The midimix went right back in the box for return, knobs and faders too small and no grip. The launch control xl is set up after 10 minutes of assignments. So great!

I use the first fader layer for 8 channels of console volumes, mute,solo, and the three top knobs for plugin control. I have a dedicated channel that I use a townsend labs sphere microphone on and have assigned the knobs to control mic selection, pattern and axis.

I assigned the second fader layer to control my aux and cue sends and set one fader to master volume(set max value to 50% to avoid super loud volume jumps). Very cool setup. I'm sure I will play around with these as my workflow solidifies. Maybe have a layer to +48v and input selection, or maybe tempo setting for time based plugins.

This seems like a small app, but It just solved my biggest headache after having switched to uad as my main interface. Really only little problem I have is talkback setup, and maybe this app will help with that too as I can assign a physical button with a mic input as my talkback.
Still requires me to waste an input though.
Old 10th August 2020
Here for the gear

Quote:
I picked up a novation launch control xl and akai midimix. The midimix went right back in the box for return, knobs and faders too small and no grip. The launch control xl is set up after 10 minutes of assignments. So great!

I use the first fader layer for 8 channels of console volumes, mute,solo, and the three top knobs for plugin control. I have a dedicated channel that I use a townsend labs sphere microphone on and have assigned the knobs to control mic selection, pattern and axis.

I assigned the second fader layer to control my aux and cue sends and set one fader to master volume(set max value to 50% to avoid super loud volume jumps). Very cool setup. I'm sure I will play around with these as my workflow solidifies. Maybe have a layer to +48v and input selection, or maybe tempo setting for time based plugins.

This seems like a small app, but It just solved my biggest headache after having switched to uad as my main interface. Really only little problem I have is talkback setup, and maybe this app will help with that too as I can assign a physical button with a mic input as my talkback.
Still requires me to waste an input though.
I agree, Novation Knobs and faders are of better quality and feel than Akai.
As far as I know, all UAD interfaces have integrated Talback, you should also be seeing a dedicated channel.
Old 10th August 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
As far as I know, all UAD interfaces have integrated Talback, you should also be seeing a dedicated channel.
Not true. Some new ones do.
Old 10th August 2020
Here for the gear

Didn't know that, thanks for the info!
Old 10th August 2020
Gear Addict

Count me in for the Windows version ...
Old 10th August 2020
Gear Addict

Bought. This is great, thank you!
Old 15th August 2020
Lives for gear

I've been trying to get this to work with the drum pads of an Akai MPK mini so that the pad light stays on to indicate the state of mute on a channel. So far its not working. I can get the pad to change the mute state but the light of the pad only turns on when I touch the pad and then goes off again.

Has anyone else had luck doing this with drum pads?

I'm trying to figure out if I need to get a different type of midi device or if the app doesn't work properly with my system.
Old 16th August 2020
Great idea! Good luck to you!!
Old 16th August 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
I've been trying to get this to work with the drum pads of an Akai MPK mini so that the pad light stays on to indicate the state of mute on a channel. So far its not working. I can get the pad to change the mute state but the light of the pad only turns on when I touch the pad and then goes off again.

Has anyone else had luck doing this with drum pads?

I'm trying to figure out if I need to get a different type of midi device or if the app doesn't work properly with my system.
I haven't tried, but did you mess around with the setting type for each pad in the app...momentary, knob, toggle? Maybe that will affect it.
Old 16th August 2020
Lives for gear

Anyone tried it with a faderport? Would be nice, but a little pricey. I think in most cases motorized faders are not going to be useful with console app. I might end up just using 2 of the novation launchcontrol xl's. Pretty cheap solution.

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/det...ion-controller
๐Ÿ“ Reply