The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
BeesNeez BU87i C
Old 27th July 2020
Gear Addict
How can you check a mic on a Iphone Speaker? Seriously...
Old 27th July 2020
Gear Addict
All right. I was never a fan of the AI. I'll change my speakers and see if that works. Actually to each one his own. Obviously you can hear differences on a tiny speaker but give these manufacturers a break. Talking about stale and strident and mid range glow on an iphone is weird for me. I'll be ready to give a proper test on proper speakers before I voice my opinion on this mic. Beesneez has been making great capsules for years and I will listen carefully before saying anything.
Old 27th July 2020
Lives for gear

Not a member of Dropbox, but Angus' and the "Leigh" recordings, were already "more than enough" for me.
Chris
Old 28th July 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardtoe View Post
I only see one poster leaving a nasty taste in everyones mouth Greg and its not this adult - you attacked me based on your own incorrect assumptions, and I have reported your abusive post ....
What a manly thing to do. Paints a clear picture of a poster. First, writes a hysterical (and ultimately reputation damaging) post trying to use Internet Justice Shield to bully/pressure the manufacturer instead of dealing with the issue like any half-decent respected customer would, than curls up on a floor playing an "abused" victim and snitches on a person who called his BS out. Yep, everything fits.

I feel so sorry for business owners having to deal with this kind of customers. Wouldn't wish them on an enemy.
Old 28th July 2020
Lives for gear

Since Ben's on top of all this stuff... Maybe deleting any/all posts relating/referring to the shipping situation, would be beneficial to Beesneez, for future readers?

FWIW I think everyone who posted so far, wants to see Beesneez do well.

Chris
P.S. Assuming this happens, of course I'll delete this request right after!.
Old 28th July 2020
Gear Head
BU87i

I didn't get a chance to record acoustic guitar when I had planned. I injured myself Sunday last week. Had to go to ER. I'm ok, just at home healing. Tonight I tried to record but it wasn't working out to well. I'd pulled the muscle and tendon area where your abdominal muscles attach up by the ribs. So I did record some short clips, I'm moving around though because I can't get comfortable, lol.

AC guitar is a Martin CS D28
Beezneez Bu87i C
Avedis MA5
PP BAC500 (set real light )

no post FX, or EQs

Mic was 19' away and pointing at 12th fret, and slightly angled down.
Attached Files

Ac guitar test LR.wav (15.87 MB, 3399 views)

ac guitar strumt_1.wav (8.65 MB, 3194 views)

ac guitar bluesy_1.wav (3.10 MB, 2852 views)

ac guitar fingerpicking_2.wav (7.42 MB, 3086 views)

Old 28th July 2020
Lives for gear

Still sounds really good. Sorry to hear you went through all that. Wishing you a speedy recovery.
Chris
Old 29th July 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by gharrison0054 View Post
I didn't get a chance to record acoustic guitar when I had planned. I injured myself Sunday last week. Had to go to ER. I'm ok, just at home healing. Tonight I tried to record but it wasn't working out to well. I'd pulled the muscle and tendon area where your abdominal muscles attach up by the ribs. So I did record some short clips, I'm moving around though because I can't get comfortable, lol.

AC guitar is a Martin CS D28
Beezneez Bu87
Avedis MA5
PP BAC500 (set real light )

no post FX, or EQs

Mic was 19' away and pointing at 12th fret, and slightly angle down.
Wow thanks so much for making these samples! Great playing too! I love the sound.

If you play that well whilst injured, you’d be a force to reckon with at 100%

Thanks again.
Old 29th July 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by anguswoodhead View Post
Yes
An important shootout imho
I have a classy female vocalist coming.
Sadly the Peluso has been lost in the post.
And I can’t wait any longer
Shootout happening in the morning.
Looking at...
- female vocal
- male vocal
- mono piano
- acc gtr
- mono drum room
- elec gtr cab
Any progress on that? When can we expect to hear some samples?
Old 29th July 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by N1Greg View Post
Any progress on that? When can we expect to hear some samples?
It’s up now. Take a listen.

The Recording Studio Consultant - 87 Mic Shootout - against Gunter Wagner Restored 70's Neumann U87i
Old 31st July 2020
Here for the gear

My BU87s arrived a few days ago. I bought based on my experience with the Lulu FET and Lulu Tubes which I love and the company reputation online.

I had a vocal session due and went to work. I've had the opportunity to work with a Sony C800G, Telefunken 251 etc. but the mic I'm most familiar with is a mid-level USA-made U67ish thing that is kind of hyped in the 5k range so that was my major point of reference.

Working on the initial vocals the BU87 was very flat, very clean and very well represented in the low end. Not the nasty low-mid bump I usually expect but true, full lows. The resulting vocal was kind of a blank canvas. I work on a lot of heavily produced contemporary rap, pop and sometimes electronic and also work on more acoustic\folk style music. In my honest assessment the BU87 delivers the raw material to be competitive in any of those spaces as it lends itself immensely well to processing.

I hesistate to call it "natural" because perhaps no mic is but it sounds like the raw material of a good studio session (or a mediocre one depending on whose driving!) It wouldn't be out of place arriving in any respectible studio in the world and hearing those initial sounds - what happens after is what separates the boys from the men and girls from the women.

After years of working with a tube mic the lack of native colour\saturation took me by surprise but with all my plugins and outboard on hand the biggest challenge is knowing what you want (the HG2 for example was cracking but my instinct made me feel perhaps Fab Filter Saturn would not. The Waves Kramer was subtle but not quite enough and as I say this now I realize Cubase's native Magneto would probably do wonders.)

The dynamic response was also a little different to what I was used to and as a consequence I found myself experimenting with proximity and compression - the usual 1-2 punch of 1176 into 2A didn't quite land as flush as I would have normally expected it to and as a consequence my engineering required a bit more artisty, finesse and attention to detail.

It's a smooth, smooth mic with zero harshness whatsoever that I could tell. I could not foresee myself needing to De-Ess.

In conclusion I am of the opinion that if you cannot get the vocal sound you want from this microphone you either 1. Don't know what you want or 2. Don't know how to get it. The raw vocal sound provides everything anyone could ask for across the spectrum and would lend itself very well to every application I can think of. It requires me to develop my skills and attention to detail as an engineer as the natural tonal response of the mic is a tool beyond the scope of the usual set and forget style recordings I've been conducting the last several years. Taking an extra 5 minutes to experiment with the stereo spread and proximity of a pair on acoustic for example is a venture I will be engaging in this afternoon and greatly anticipate the response.

I've used mics that have had a bit extra out of the box but in an application where my first move is to EQ and decide what direction I want to go (and not have that decided for me in advance) in the neutrality of what is provided by the BU87 makes it plainly apparent why 87s in general have been such a mainstay of our industry. I've since ordered 3 more for use on guitar amps, drums and acoustic. I'm also considering buying another upright because I think a pair of 87s with the right EQ would offer some magic in that application - no compression necessary.

It's never bad to say "...I bought a tool that demanded I become a better engineer..." but this one did. Like when I bought my MM27s, I think simply spending enough time working with this mic will make me a better listener, a better engineer and a better producer.

The next time I have one of those moments where a client, student or intern looks at me listening analytically then making a seemingly magical adjustment and asks "how?" my answer will be "...a hundred hours with the BU87..."
Old 31st July 2020
Quote:
Originally Posted by jordanluke View Post
My BU87s arrived a few days ago. I bought based on my experience with the Lulu FET and Lulu Tubes which I love and the company reputation online.

I had a vocal session due and went to work. I've had the opportunity to work with a Sony C800G, Telefunken 251 etc. but the mic I'm most familiar with is a mid-level USA-made U67ish thing that is kind of hyped in the 5k range so that was my major point of reference.

Working on the initial vocals the BU87 was very flat, very clean and very well represented in the low end. Not the nasty low-mid bump I usually expect but true, full lows. The resulting vocal was kind of a blank canvas. I work on a lot of heavily produced contemporary rap, pop and sometimes electronic and also work on more acoustic\folk style music. In my honest assessment the BU87 delivers the raw material to be competitive in any of those spaces as it lends itself immensely well to processing.

I hesistate to call it "natural" because perhaps no mic is but it sounds like the raw material of a good studio session (or a mediocre one depending on whose driving!) It wouldn't be out of place arriving in any respectible studio in the world and hearing those initial sounds - what happens after is what separates the boys from the men and girls from the women.

After years of working with a tube mic the lack of native colour\saturation took me by surprise but with all my plugins and outboard on hand the biggest challenge is knowing what you want (the HG2 for example was cracking but my instinct made me feel perhaps Fab Filter Saturn would not. The Waves Kramer was subtle but not quite enough and as I say this now I realize Cubase's native Magneto would probably do wonders.)

The dynamic response was also a little different to what I was used to and as a consequence I found myself experimenting with proximity and compression - the usual 1-2 punch of 1176 into 2A didn't quite land as flush as I would have normally expected it to and as a consequence my engineering required a bit more artisty, finesse and attention to detail.

It's a smooth, smooth mic with zero harshness whatsoever that I could tell. I could not foresee myself needing to De-Ess.

In conclusion I am of the opinion that if you cannot get the vocal sound you want from this microphone you either 1. Don't know what you want or 2. Don't know how to get it. The raw vocal sound provides everything anyone could ask for across the spectrum and would lend itself very well to every application I can think of. It requires me to develop my skills and attention to detail as an engineer as the natural tonal response of the mic is a tool beyond the scope of the usual set and forget style recordings I've been conducting the last several years. Taking an extra 5 minutes to experiment with the stereo spread and proximity of a pair on acoustic for example is a venture I will be engaging in this afternoon and greatly anticipate the response.

I've used mics that have had a bit extra out of the box but in an application where my first move is to EQ and decide what direction I want to go (and not have that decided for me in advance) in the neutrality of what is provided by the BU87 makes it plainly apparent why 87s in general have been such a mainstay of our industry. I've since ordered 3 more for use on guitar amps, drums and acoustic. I'm also considering buying another upright because I think a pair of 87s with the right EQ would offer some magic in that application - no compression necessary.

It's never bad to say "...I bought a tool that demanded I become a better engineer..." but this one did. Like when I bought my MM27s, I think simply spending enough time working with this mic will make me a better listener, a better engineer and a better producer.

The next time I have one of those moments where a client, student or intern looks at me listening analytically then making a seemingly magical adjustment and asks "how?" my answer will be "...a hundred hours with the BU87..."
Wow - if the whole music thing doesn’t work out you could always write copy for advertising - what an incredible pitch for the BU87! Thanks for sharing your experience
Old 31st July 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
. but the mic I'm most familiar with is a mid-level USA-made U67ish thing that is kind of hyped in the 5k range so that was my major point of reference.
o

What mic is this? As far 87ʻs go, My band and I went from Sony C800 for our first album. Our second and third album were with a vintage Neumann M49. Our 4th Album with a vintage U67. For our last project, the studio we went to only had an old 60ʻs 87. I was thinking that 87 is not good enough to stand up with those heavy weights that we used before... And the sound while tracking in the studio just sounded all right... It came out good enough to me during the mix. Gained a lot of respect for it. I am going to pick up one of these Beezneez for my home studio. This is a track with the 60ʻs 87.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GlaK7WE3DUk

Last edited by Bradahman; 31st July 2020 at 06:28 PM..
Old 31st July 2020
Gear Head

First, I want to thank Ben for making this mic, and getting it out so quickly to customers. I haven't done a side-by-side comparison with a U87, but after years of owning and using U87's, I can confidently say that a side-by-side would probably be the only way to distinguish the Beesneez from a Neumann. I've heard many other U87 clones, and some come pretty close, others didn't sound anything like a U87 (may have still sounded good), but when I plugged in the BU87, I honestly just kinda shrugged and maybe a slight smirk. It's not that it didn't sound good, because it does, it's just that it wasn't anything mind blowing or new to me. I know exactly what to expect a U87 to sound like, and this is it. And that's the entire point of this mic. It truly is an accurate clone of the old school U87. I usually have to employ a de-esser on my voice when using a U87ai, but similar with my experience with the original U87i, it was not needed on the BU87. Great work Ben!
Old 1st August 2020
Here for the gear

Thank you fo the kind words @ Hardtoe . @ Bradahman Aforementioned "mid-level" mic was a Charter Oak SA528B.

I can't keep this clip up forever as the artist is a bit of a perfectionist but I snapped a quick sample for you all yesterday while tracking clean vocal stems to send to a producer abroad.

BU87i > CLA76 > CLA2A > Tiny stroke of Pro-R. Comps set to tickle the needle. No EQ. Instrumental down, vocal up. For my money the aforementioned big bottom is clear as day.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1-l9...ew?usp=sharing

EDIT: The Youtube normalization was eating my headroom so here it is direct from the Google Drive.

Last edited by jordanluke; 1st August 2020 at 01:01 AM..
Old 1st August 2020
Lives for gear

Sounds like an old 70's U87.
Exceptional Tenor voice.
Very nice!
Chris
Old 1st August 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by chessparov2.0 View Post
Sounds like an old 70's U87.
Exceptional Tenor voice.
Very nice!
Chris
Sure does. The sound is unmistakable!

Love it.
Old 1st August 2020
Lives for gear

Coincidentally, I was listening to a ton of Classic Soul lately-more than even usual. As you guys may know, most all the Philly Soul vocals at Sigma... Were cut on either an 87 or 47. (Once in a while they'd use a 47 FET, like Lou Rawl's hit"You'll Never Find")

On Spinners/Stylistics/O'Jays/etc... Many times I can tell which was used, when I'm familiar with the Artist's "sound" (via live performances also), and the difference in sibilance (typically). For these 3 groups IMHO the U87 was used the most. Particularly for the Spinners/Stylistics,
as the "blend" of their Harmony was such a prominent feature.

It seems to my ear, the U47 tube mic can leave some tell tale "sibilance signature". Yet-of course-can still sound great...
If you listen to some of the classic Capitol recordings of Sinatra, and Nat King Cole for example, it can clearly be heard.
Especially compared to the other tracks, where something like a 44 or 77 ribbon was used instead.
Chris
Old 1st August 2020
Lives for gear
Quote:
Coincidentally, I was listening to a ton of Classic Soul lately-more than even usual. As you guys may know, most all the Philly Soul vocals at Sigma... Were cut on either an 87 or 47. (Once in a while they'd use a 47 FET, like Lou Rawl's hit"You'll Never Find")

On Spinners/Stylistics/O'Jays/etc... Many times I can tell which was used, when I'm familiar with the Artist's "sound" (via live performances also), and the difference in sibilance (typically). For these 3 groups IMHO the U87 was used the most. Particularly for the Spinners/Stylistics,
as the "blend" of their Harmony was such a prominent feature.

It seems to my ear, the U47 tube mic can leave some tell tale "sibilance signature". Yet-of course-can still sound great...
If you listen to some of the classic Capitol recordings of Sinatra, and Nat King Cole for example, it can clearly be heard.
Especially compared to the other tracks, were something like a 44 or 77 ribbon was used instead.
Chris
I think I know what you mean. I’ve heard it on Beatles tracks from time to time, can’t recall which ones off the top of my head.
Old 1st August 2020
Lives for gear

AFAIK the Beatles "virtually" always a U47 or U67. FWIW I have a (very) toned mellow voice. So unless it's a good uptempo arrangement (or Ballad), I'd go diving for the U47 in order to cut through-between that and a U67!

Yes the U87 is the excellent alternative choice to the 47 for cutting through/presence!
Chris
P.S. IIRC the Coles 4038 was able to sneak in as a Beatles studio vocal mic-rarely
Old 10th August 2020
Gear Head
This mic sounds great on guitar cabs. I was tracking some lead guitar ideals for one of the upcoming country songs. Since it was just ideas I didn't spend much time on mic placement, just kind of put it up in front of the speaker just slightly away from the center. Started jamming and I was really impressed on just how good the sound came across. I usually just use 57s or 609s. I didn't have to do any eq to get a very good guitar sound. This is in front of a Fender Tweed Deluxe clone. I'll post up some clips an another post.
Old 11th August 2020
Gear Head
I had to do this at a lower volume than earlier today. My wife had company over. Just did a down and dirty take, so don't pay attention to the lack of timing skills on my part lol.
Attached Files

guitar cab Bu87.mp3 (1.06 MB, 1361 views)

Old 11th August 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by gharrison0054 View Post
I had to do this at a lower volume than earlier today. My wife had company over. Just did a down and dirty take, so don't pay attention to the lack of timing skills on my part lol.
Hi there.

Can you maybe set up a Dropbox file of all of these samples? I’d love to have a link of these to let people hear them! Thanks.

Ben
Old 11th August 2020
Gear Head
Quote:
Originally Posted by mics View Post
Hi there.

Can you maybe set up a Dropbox file of all of these samples? I’d love to have a link of these to let people hear them! Thanks.

Ben
sure I can. I"ll upload them tomorrow for you.
Old 11th August 2020
Lives for gear

Tele? Methinks you were influenced somewhat by James Burton. One of my all time fave Geetar players.
Chris
Old 11th August 2020
Gear Head
Quote:
Tele? Methinks you were influenced somewhat by James Burton. One of my all time fave Geetar players.
Chris
Yes and a big yes. along with a bunch of others. Joe Maphis, Albert Lee, Danny Gatton, and a bunch of other guitar players who I wish I could play like.
Old 11th August 2020
Lives for gear

Way Cool!
Chris
Old 11th August 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Thank you fo the kind words @ Hardtoe . @ Bradahman Aforementioned "mid-level" mic was a Charter Oak SA528B.

I can't keep this clip up forever as the artist is a bit of a perfectionist but I snapped a quick sample for you all yesterday while tracking clean vocal stems to send to a producer abroad.

BU87i > CLA76 > CLA2A > Tiny stroke of Pro-R. Comps set to tickle the needle. No EQ. Instrumental down, vocal up. For my money the aforementioned big bottom is clear as day.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1-l9...ew?usp=sharing

EDIT: The Youtube normalization was eating my headroom so here it is direct from the Google Drive.
The vocalist has a really great timbre Gonna stick my head out and say the mic sounds better than a U87 to my ears. I always disliked the upper mid push that really highlights a nasal singer in a bad way. The BU87 doesn’t seem to have that and is extremely warm in the lower mids without being boomy. Very nice
Old 11th August 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bradahman View Post
What mic is this? As far 87ʻs go, My band and I went from Sony C800 for our first album. Our second and third album were with a vintage Neumann M49. Our 4th Album with a vintage U67. For our last project, the studio we went to only had an old 60ʻs 87. I was thinking that 87 is not good enough to stand up with those heavy weights that we used before... And the sound while tracking in the studio just sounded all right... It came out good enough to me during the mix. Gained a lot of respect for it. I am going to pick up one of these Beezneez for my home studio. This is a track with the 60ʻs 87.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GlaK7WE3DUk
Sounds great!
Thanks, Chris
P.S. Subscribed!
Old 13th August 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Sounds great!
Thanks, Chris
P.S. Subscribed!
Thank you Chris. Really appreciate it. Aloha