The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Softube releases Amp Room and Marshall Cabinet Collection
Old 2nd August 2020
CWL
Here for the gear

Working ok for now...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neptune45 View Post
Cheers. I will also report on this thread anything I find out about this situation. I hope you get it working as well. Oh and I checked and when updating everything, I updated to Windows 10 x64 OS Version 2004.
After disabling my AMD GPU altogether, on plugging in, all I got was clicks and pops.

More research...

Found a list of issues:
Error deep in Windows settings governing how and when updates are performed. It was basically fooling itself into thinking that v1909 was the latest version and telling me that I was up to date. Resolved that and updated to v2004.

Uninstalled AMD’s management software

Reset the PC

Installed latest version of AMD management software which is the only way to install the latest driver

Optimized OS for audio, reinstalled DAW and plugins, disabled Opengl in Amp Room

Plugged in - still massive clicking and popping - CPU only pushing 7% - still a graphics issue.

Examined integrated Intel graphics processor and puzzled by driver dated 2016 - tried an update from Device Manager and Windows reported that was the latest driver. No way.

Tried to download and install latest driver (dated July 2020) from Intel directly - Windows blocked the install, error message that Lenovo has an OEM driver installed preventing any updates. WTF?????

Found a workaround, got the latest driver installed.

Booted DAW and loaded Amp Room vst2 in non-Opengl - success.

It seems the problem was the integrated graphics driver, not necessarily the AMD. Performance still feels rickety - lots of spikes in my Time Load indicator in Cantabile - but it is functioning and reasonably stable enough for now.

This was a multi headed dragon, and I don't think Softube is blameless because none of my other plugins had this problem. Amp Room is just a hog, and there may not be any better explanation.
Old 2nd August 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWL View Post

This was a multi headed dragon, and I don't think Softube is blameless because none of my other plugins had this problem. Amp Room is just a hog, and there may not be any better explanation.
Hi, cheers for the detailed response. Softube definitely has to get on to this as there is definitely something wrong with their graphics.

Because I had the VST 2s working with non-OpenGL setting I haven't even risked opening a VST 3 since. I also decided to go ahead after demoing the offer for the 6 amps which they just had and buy them as I decided to have faith they will surely get this sorted out soon and I didn't want to miss out on the deal. At least they are working in VST 2 for me.

I have since seen the upgrade offer for Volume 4 at half price so downloaded all the plugins which I haven't got from them yet which are included in the Volume 4 bundle to demo. I only tried them in VST 2 for the above reasons. All but Summit Audio Grand Channel and other Summit Audio individual plugins and American Class A opened and worked. Didn't bother trying Parallels, Heartbeat, Modular or the Weiss MM-1 yet so don't know whether they will open properly as VST 2s.

Like I said, all the other plugins in the pack and my amp plugins and even Amp Room all now open in non-OpenGL mode (but slowly) however when opening the ones mentioned above which didn't work in VST 2 (haven't tried VST 3 for them either), it would just open a black blank screen where the plugin should be however I could change the presets and the plugin would sound ok, I just couldn't get the graphics to open up properly for it.

I am going to E-Mail Softube yet again as I don't really want to invest even more money, time and effort in their plugins if they aren't even going to address the fact that there is an issue and that they are somehow trying to fix it...

Edit: I am thinking I might like to get the bundle if they communicate with us properly about this issue however as there are some good plugins.

I download the majority of my updated drivers via my Motherboard's website (ASUS for me).
Old 3rd August 2020
Gear Guru

Open gl unable , built in gpu as well as dedicated .... i do t think this is specifically a softube issue ... but hw acceleration optimisation , you guyz should observe the dpc latency when the amd process is on via latency mon , this will help ..
Old 3rd August 2020
CWL
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neptune45 View Post
Hi, cheers for the detailed response. Softube definitely has to get on to this as there is definitely something wrong with their graphics.

Because I had the VST 2s working with non-OpenGL setting I haven't even risked opening a VST 3 since. I also decided to go ahead after demoing the offer for the 6 amps which they just had and buy them as I decided to have faith they will surely get this sorted out soon and I didn't want to miss out on the deal. At least they are working in VST 2 for me.

I have since seen the upgrade offer for Volume 4 at half price so downloaded all the plugins which I haven't got from them yet which are included in the Volume 4 bundle to demo. I only tried them in VST 2 for the above reasons. All but Summit Audio Grand Channel and other Summit Audio individual plugins and American Class A opened and worked. Didn't bother trying Parallels, Heartbeat, Modular or the Weiss MM-1 yet so don't know whether they will open properly as VST 2s.

Like I said, all the other plugins in the pack and my amp plugins and even Amp Room all now open in non-OpenGL mode (but slowly) however when opening the ones mentioned above which didn't work in VST 2 (haven't tried VST 3 for them either), it would just open a black blank screen where the plugin should be however I could change the presets and the plugin would sound ok, I just couldn't get the graphics to open up properly for it.

I am going to E-Mail Softube yet again as I don't really want to invest even more money, time and effort in their plugins if they aren't even going to address the fact that there is an issue and that they are somehow trying to fix it...

Edit: I am thinking I might like to get the bundle if they communicate with us properly about this issue however as there are some good plugins.

I download the majority of my updated drivers via my Motherboard's website (ASUS for me).

Lots of lessons learned here, thanks again for the consult. FYI mine seems to be working in OpenGL now too, although there doesn't seem to be any performance benefit, so I shut it back down. I too am going to follow up with Softube to hopefully benefit others and let them know they need to get it together.

The amps sound friggin awesome with the new cabs and Room IR module. It feels to me like they finally got something that was missing from all my other Marshall plugins.
Old 4th August 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWL View Post
After disabling my AMD GPU altogether, on plugging in, all I got was clicks and pops.

More research...

Found a list of issues:
Error deep in Windows settings governing how and when updates are performed. It was basically fooling itself into thinking that v1909 was the latest version and telling me that I was up to date. Resolved that and updated to v2004.

Uninstalled AMD’s management software

Reset the PC

Installed latest version of AMD management software which is the only way to install the latest driver

Optimized OS for audio, reinstalled DAW and plugins, disabled Opengl in Amp Room

Plugged in - still massive clicking and popping - CPU only pushing 7% - still a graphics issue.

Examined integrated Intel graphics processor and puzzled by driver dated 2016 - tried an update from Device Manager and Windows reported that was the latest driver. No way.

Tried to download and install latest driver (dated July 2020) from Intel directly - Windows blocked the install, error message that Lenovo has an OEM driver installed preventing any updates. WTF?????

Found a workaround, got the latest driver installed.

Booted DAW and loaded Amp Room vst2 in non-Opengl - success.

It seems the problem was the integrated graphics driver, not necessarily the AMD. Performance still feels rickety - lots of spikes in my Time Load indicator in Cantabile - but it is functioning and reasonably stable enough for now.

Glad I’m on a Mac after reading this tale of
woe.
Old 4th August 2020
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Polich View Post
woe.
Dont you start a Mac vs PC now.
Old 4th August 2020
CWL
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Polich View Post
woe.
I was a lifelong Mac user since late 80's. Finally decided last year that Apple wasn't a particularly great value anymore and switched to Windows. For the most part it's been fine, but this particular incident was atrocious - I was down for almost a month.

If this most recent round of diagnostics had not worked, I was going to bite the bullet and get a Mac. Apple's forthcoming development of their own processors (and I think GPU's, too?) is interesting, and once the developers have had a chance to get onboard, I'll probably switch back.

My experience with Apple wasn't especially wonderful over the years - I had some good computers and some turds. I didn't generally find them to be as reliable or well built as they're supposed to be. But the inhouse processors could be a game changer. Windows is by definition a patchwork of processes held together by duct tape, but I believe Mac OS is also more like that than Apple would care to admit!
Old 8th August 2020
Lives for gear

If Softube launches a Bluetooth pedal with an expression pedal it would be great.
Old 16th August 2020
Lives for gear

@ Softube

Hi guys in general. I'm a bit confused by Softube while they are not reacting to a support ticket and meanwhile - after making 2 reminders - Im starting to get a bit frustrated too. It's been nearly two month now. Before starting something, I just want to have an opinion from you how you see the situation. Do they have problems to manage all the tickets due to Corona situation? Or may it be ignorance too? The stated in may 2020 they had actual problems solving all the requests. It's August by now.

I don't want to go into further detail yet, but the complete situation and the reason I wrote them is really annoying and I am not feeling they take me serious as a customer. I really hope it has a reasonable reason why this is like it is. Can you report about your experience in short words? Would be thankful. Thanks.
Old 16th August 2020
Gear Addict
The price/support ratio with softube is absolutely not acceptable. I once was a fan, but don't buy anymore from them due to the fantasy prices and because of fear the stuff stops working completely and I don't get support anymore.
It's already wonky on Windows due to the gui and openGL issues.
Old 16th August 2020
Lives for gear

Exactly this was my first thought. What's if I got a real serious license issue due to the fact they rely on that iLok system. This paired with a mediocre support mentality... Doesn't give one a good feeling. I spent so much money over the last month for Softube and I am registered there since years... Hmmm. They made a hilarious decision or mistake imo, when the new amps came out and only two days later they offered the bundle. 3 for two. I already spent the money on the single amps two days ago and that *strategy*, not offering the bundles the same day is like pulling customers legs. I still call it a mistake, not a real strategy. So I wrote them about that fact and waited 3 weeks for the first reminder and 3 further weeks for the second reminder. I'm a patient person in general, but having no answer - with a blown up softtube account - is not a nice thing to be confronted with. Especially not when working in customers business for myself for over 30 years now. I'm purely disappointed. Maybe they have too much to do and can't cope. Maybe there are Corona based problems. Giving customers no reaction is a no go imh.

What would you do in such a case? Thanks
Old 16th August 2020
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by nichttuntun View Post
What would you do in such a case? Thanks
My advice is to maintain your mental focus and thus make your decision(s) based on reason instead of becoming emotional and irrational. But as far as making a reasonable decision I do not have any advice and will leave it up to you.
Old 16th August 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Durk Diggler View Post
My advice is to maintain your mental focus and thus make your decision(s) based on reason instead of becoming emotional and irrational. But as far as making a reasonable decision I do not have any advice and will leave it up to you.
That may be a ZEN mined answer. I appreciate that and bow to you
Old 17th August 2020
Lives for gear

I can assign MIDI to everything but the bypass buttons on any device.
I’m on Studio One 5 and bypassing modules are not reported to automation either.
Is this happening on other DAWs also?
📝 Reply