Softube releases Amp Room and Marshall Cabinet Collection - Page 5 - Gearslutz
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Softube releases Amp Room and Marshall Cabinet Collection
Old 13th July 2020
Lives for gear

So, I got the update and the extended cab selection.

I like the updates to the old amp sim platform, but somehow I thought this would have more new amps in there. I think it was kind of low value for the money, even though the money wasn’t outrageous. I mean, I think Waves PRS was 29 bucks when I bought it, has three *fantastic* sounding and feeling amps, all of which pretty much are better than anything in this platform I have checked out.

I am also surprised how you can’t really seem to run old amps through the new cabs...so there isn’t really full integration, depending on how one looks at it.

(EDIT:OK there are “revisited” versions of the old cabs. I was confused by some of the newer presets loading some mixes of new cabs with the old cab models, I think.)

The FX end is pretty good though, and I like how that sets one up to have more complete sounding guitar chains.

One suggestion I can make is to not hit the chains too hard, it seems to make them sound better.

Last edited by toledo3; 16th July 2020 at 05:00 AM..
Old 13th July 2020
Gear Guru

Guyz the intro additional 15 % is other ?
Old 13th July 2020
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by toledo3 View Post
So, I got the update and the extended cab selection.

I like the updates to the old amp sim platform, but somehow I thought this would have more new amps in there. I think it was kind of low value for the money, even though the money wasn’t outrageous. I mean, I think Waves PRS was 29 bucks when I bought it, has three *fantastic* sounding and feeling amps, all of which pretty much are better than anything in this platform I have checked out.

I am also surprised how you can’t really seem to run old amps through the new cabs...so there isn’t really full integration, depending on how one looks at it.

The FX end is pretty good though, and I like how that sets one up to have more complete sounding guitar chains.

One suggestion I can make is to not hit the chains too hard, it seems to make them sound better.
At 29 $ you think this is low value for money ? Are you serious , even at 99 i think it s a serious playground .

You can use old amps with any cabs
Old 13th July 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeezo View Post
At 29 $ you think this is low value for money ? Are you serious , even at 99 i think it s a serious playground .

You can use old amps with any cabs
Yes, that’s what I said, I think it was a low value upgrade. That is why I came onto the thread to give feedback.

I went to double check, vintage amps were not updated in a way that lets you have the full mic selection. I guess that is what I was seeing.

Sorry it seems to outrage you that I thought this should have been better for the money. I suggest you just go ahead and get over the fact that people can and will have different opinions. I was hoping this would supersede Waves PRS Supermodels, and for me, it did not as far as amp quality goes. I would rather use just about any of the Kuassa amps for that matter.
Old 13th July 2020
Gear Guru

Quote:
Yes, that’s what I said, I think it was a low value upgrade. That is why I came onto the thread to give feedback.

I went to double check, vintage amps were not updated in a way that lets you have the full mic selection. I guess that is what I was seeing.

Sorry it seems to outrage you that I thought this should have been better for the money. I suggest you just go ahead and get over the fact that people can and will have different opinions. I was hoping this would supersede Waves PRS Supermodels, and for me, it did not as far as amp quality goes. I would rather use just about any of the Kuassa amps for that matter.
No outrage , at all , i understand you cause you alreay have the vintage amp room .... i m more talking about somebody that has nothing and want a great amp sim at 99

I do think the upgrade is still a great adiition for several reason .

1) i own several softube plugins , being able to have them here is a big. Plus

2) flexibility of chaain / routing is superbe

3) this can be a playground not only for guitar use ( this is my plan

4) more control other old maps , specifically in the gain stage era
Old 14th July 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
No outrage , at all , i understand you cause you alreay have the vintage amp room .... i m more talking about somebody that has nothing and want a great amp sim at 99

I do think the upgrade is still a great adiition for several reason .

1) i own several softube plugins , being able to have them here is a big. Plus

2) flexibility of chaain / routing is superbe

3) this can be a playground not only for guitar use ( this is my plan

4) more control other old maps , specifically in the gain stage era
I want to make clear that I was trying to make a more nuanced statement about it, and not slam it at all.

I think that Softube, in general, has very good programming when it comes to node based evaluation graphs. Modular is strong in this way, and I think the Amp Room renovation is strong in this area as well. Even more generally, I really like their plugins and own maybe forty of them, not sure exactly.

The added effects combined with the capability of the preset system is a real advantage, and I like how it comes together better than Bias FX. I think your comment about, “if you are coming at it from square one, and spend a little under $100, it is a good value”...is true. All of a sudden you have all of these amp models, effects, etc.

If you already have the vintage room, bass, and metal rooms, and then spend the extra for this upgrade and the additional speaker sims...I think that is maybe fifty or sixty bucks? Well, as far as new sounds go, you get the effects pedal system and the speaker models. While I very much like how the new system comes together, I am going “hmm, I am not sure how much new sonic territory this is really covering for me”. If there were some new amp models in there, or if the old ones felt like now they were substantially better sounding or more realistic feeling, I would have a different impression of course.

I am even interested in some of these other amp models, but I do feel that they are pricey, when I stop and consider how little I paid for PRS Supermodels, while feeling like the underlying sound and feel of them is superior. Or Kuassa.

Now, I would not be surprised it some of these new models compare favorably or exceed the PRS Supermodels or Kuassa, but when I think about already having paid out for the original system, the upgrade, the speaker cab pack, and now laying out a hundred/two hundred/three hundred fifty, depending on how far I want to go with it...I am thinking “ay yay yay”!

Sidebar - I really wish Softube would program plugins so that you could click on a GUI element and enter in a numeric value where applicable.
Old 14th July 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Sidebar - I really wish Softube would program plugins so that you could click on a GUI element and enter in a numeric value where applicable.
I think all plugins nowadays should have this ability as some can be really annoying when trying to drag to a certain value.
Old 16th July 2020
DHL
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by joachime View Post

Also, there is no undo function.
Windows - Ctrl+Z
Old 16th July 2020
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by DHL View Post
Windows - Ctrl+Z
That's depending on the host/DAW.
Old 23rd July 2020
Lives for gear

Anyone know whether you can sync the stomp box delay which comes with Amp Room to tempo in your DAW with a sync button? I just like the ability to set it to specific timed notes like dotted 1/8ths etc. I think I must be missing where the sync to tempo button is...

Cheers.
Old 23rd July 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:

...Waves PRS Supermodels, and for me, it did not as far as amp quality goes. I would rather use just about any of the Kuassa amps for that matter.
I really like the Kuassa stuff but have never even tried the Waves PRS Supermodels even though I have loads of Waves stuff including the Horizon Bundle.

Is it really that good for only $35 at the moment? Might have to get it if so.

Cheers.
Old 23rd July 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neptune45 View Post
I really like the Kuassa stuff but have never even tried the Waves PRS Supermodels even though I have loads of Waves stuff including the Horizon Bundle.

Is it really that good for only $35 at the moment? Might have to get it if so.

Cheers.
Yeah, as a matter of fact, a few days ago I had loaded up Amp Room again and had some ok tones...then I thought to load up PRS V9 model and it was like, “oh ok, yep, just what I had been thinking”. So much more realistic sounding and feeling, top end so much better, not possessing me to have to keep tweaking it. I had been wrestling over whether to venture into buying more of the softube models - because on paper they seem great, but that made the decision for me. Nope!

Maybe it is some quirk of my setup, guitars, DI, not sure. Or I just have different taste. I think the softube products are good, I am not knocking them hard.

I would definitely consider demoing them first if you are concerned, or just buying them. I have a few really nice vintage amps, and a handful of popular sims on the market. That is the only sim that possesses me to actually want to plug in and play with the plugin “amps” sometimes as opposed to my real amps.
Old 23rd July 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Yeah, as a matter of fact, a few days ago I had loaded up Amp Room again and had some ok tones...then I thought to load up PRS V9 model and it was like, “oh ok, yep, just what I had been thinking”. So much more realistic sounding and feeling, top end so much better, not possessing me to have to keep tweaking it. I had been wrestling over whether to venture into buying more of the softube models - because on paper they seem great, but that made the decision for me. Nope!

Maybe it is some quirk of my setup, guitars, DI, not sure. Or I just have different taste. I think the softube products are good, I am not knocking them hard.

I would definitely consider demoing them first if you are concerned, or just buying them. I have a few really nice vintage amps, and a handful of popular sims on the market. That is the only sim that possesses me to actually want to plug in and play with the plugin “amps” sometimes as opposed to my real amps.
Thanks. I'll give it a download and try the demo later. Hopefully the Waves sale lasts a bit longer then as if I like it I could get the PRS Supermodels, Abbey Road Saturator and pick up a free plugin.
Old 23rd July 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:

When you say you had "loaded up Amp Room", but preferred the Waves PRS V9 amp... was that compared to any of the newer add-on Softube amps?... or you just compared versus Amp Room's included older amp models? Just curious. Thanks.
Old 26th July 2020
CWL
Here for the gear

Amp Room is crashing Win10 DAWs

Quote:
Anyone else having problems with Amp Room crashing their Daw?

I am using Cubase Pro 10 on Windows 10 64 Bit version 1909 using RME FF UFX II via USB.

Both VST 2.4 and VST 3 are causing crashes.

Yep. I'm using latest version of Reaper w/ Win10 v 1909, same OS as you.

My problems started about 2 weeks ago - Amp Room would occasionally crash the DAW, then more often, and now crashes the host DAW every time I try to load any softube plugin. It's also crashing Cantabile.

I've tried installing latest versions of the plugins, same problem - works ok for a day or so, then starts crashing a little, then a lot, then won't load at all without crashing the host.

So this is happening with Amp Room and Plexi1959 and 1962 Bluesbreaker. In fact, now I can't even install Plexi1959 - just running the installer crashes itself.

I've even done a windows refresh and reset (wipes everything off HD and OS, like starting over with a new computer).

I've sent 2 support requests in to Softube - been waiting 2 weeks, no resolution. However, they did finally respond to an earlier unrelated support request from...wait for it...6 weeks ago and apologized and acknowledged that I have other support requests in waiting and that they're overloaded.

Frustrating, because I love this plugin.

I don't know if it's an OS update issue or an iLok issue or both. iLok license manager has always been buggy for me, and I suspect it is at least playing a part. All my other plugins are non-ilok (and they're working fine), but I can't say for certain.

Let me know if you get some traction w/ softune support, I'll do the same.
Old 26th July 2020
Lives for gear

wow..they are in the weeds over there. I have a support ticket in without response now for 2 and a half weeks. I hope they get this sorted out for you.

My Amp Room demo runs out in a couple days. I didn't care for it and won't be purchasing, but I didn't notice any issues with it while trying.

I did purchase the JMP and Bluesbreaker amps and haven't run into any problems with them running native either.
Old 27th July 2020
CWL
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle Ashley View Post
wow..they are in the weeds over there. I have a support ticket in without response now for 2 and a half weeks. I hope they get this sorted out for you.

My Amp Room demo runs out in a couple days. I didn't care for it and won't be purchasing, but I didn't notice any issues with it while trying.

I did purchase the JMP and Bluesbreaker amps and haven't run into any problems with them running native either.

Thanks. FWIW I was lukewarm on Amp Room too until I tried combining Marshall cabinet collection cabs with the Room IR module. With the 6ms setting engaged, it really opened up the tone - first time I've ever been able to get a vintage correct room sound - makes the vintage Marshall tone, as far as I'm concerned. All my other room IR's sound small and phasey.

I realize that could be done inside a DAW with external room reverbs and/or IR's - this setting just scratched my itch. Of course, it makes no difference at this time because I can't use the plugin at all.
Old 27th July 2020
CWL
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattias78 View Post
Anyone tried or bought the new modules from Marshall and how do you think they sound?
They sound great. I have 1959, Bluesbreaker, and Marshall Cabinet collection. I own pretty much every Marshall plugin out there - some of them are excellent, but none of them do vintage 4-hole like Softube.

All my softube plugins are crashing these days though, so I'm not thrilled with the reliability. I'm content for now to be patient for them to respond to my support request because they sound good enough to wait on.
Old 28th July 2020
CWL
Here for the gear

Quote:
Anyone else having problems with Amp Room crashing their Daw?

I am using Cubase Pro 10 on Windows 10 64 Bit version 1909 using RME FF UFX II via USB.

Both VST 2.4 and VST 3 are causing crashes.

I've been working on it for days. I am starting to believe it's a graphics/opengl issue. If I set Reaper's preferences to open a generic window for Amp Room instead of the custom GUI, it will load in. It's unusable because I don't have any presets, so I just hear the direct guitar signal. But it does load, which is progress.

My next move is to reset the computer for the upteenth time, install the software, see if I can get Amp Room to load in ONCE, and disable the opengl.
Old 28th July 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWL View Post
I've been working on it for days. I am starting to believe it's a graphics/opengl issue. If I set Reaper's preferences to open a generic window for Amp Room instead of the custom GUI, it will load in. It's unusable because I don't have any presets, so I just hear the direct guitar signal. But it does load, which is progress.

My next move is to reset the computer for the upteenth time, install the software, see if I can get Amp Room to load in ONCE, and disable the opengl.
Hi,

I have managed to get my VST2s working but won't dare to open my VST3s at it will cause a crash and that seems to corrupt all the Softube plugins requiring another of the following:

I uninstalled everything Softube on my computer - using the uninstall options provided in Softube files. Then I went in to Apps and uninstalled anything remaining from Softube. Then I went through all folders such as Docs Downloads etc and deleted everything from Softube (note check the common files folders as they install things here as well both in Program files and Program Files (x86).

Then I went to the Registry - in the seach tab go to run and then to regedit and then delete all Softube stuff from there.

Then go back on Softube account and download individual installers for your plugins not Software Centre as this is still in Beta for Windows and I found it exteremly glitchy to say the least.

Do not open VST3s only VST2s or you will probably have to end up repeating the above just to get the VST2s working again.

You can get the Open GL setting not to be used if you go to C:Users\[User]\AppData\Roaming\Softube. Then go in to the Global Settings file and where is says "true", delete "true" and enter "false" and save before exiting. Then all your Softube plugins will open in Non Open GL mode.

I also updated everything on my computer - Windows OS, Intel integrated graphics driver from My Motherboard's website (ASUS for me).

I am using integrated graphics through Intel I9-9900k which should easily handle Open GL and does so for all my other plugins using this. Are you also on integrated graphics or do you have a discrete graphics card?

Softube support has been non-existant thus far for me as well - I have had to sort though it all myself. Most unhelpful I must say. Plugins amazing but support not good.
Old 28th July 2020
Lives for gear

Softube or Nembrini MRH810 or IK Slash?

So many Marshall options.
Old 28th July 2020
CWL
Here for the gear

Quote:
Hi,

I have managed to get my VST2s working but won't dare to open my VST3s at it will cause a crash and that seems to corrupt all the Softube plugins requiring another of the following:

I uninstalled everything Softube on my computer - using the uninstall options provided in Softube files. Then I went in to Apps and uninstalled anything remaining from Softube. Then I went through all folders such as Docs Downloads etc and deleted everything from Softube (note check the common files folders as they install things here as well both in Program files and Program Files (x86).

Then I went to the Registry - in the seach tab go to run and then to regedit and then delete all Softube stuff from there.

Then go back on Softube account and download individual installers for your plugins not Software Centre as this is still in Beta for Windows and I found it exteremly glitchy to say the least.

Do not open VST3s only VST2s or you will probably have to end up repeating the above just to get the VST2s working again.

You can get the Open GL setting not to be used if you go to C:Users\[User]\AppData\Roaming\Softube. Then go in to the Global Settings file and where is says "true", delete "true" and enter "false" and save before exiting. Then all your Softube plugins will open in Non Open GL mode.

I also updated everything on my computer - Windows OS, Intel integrated graphics driver from My Motherboard's website (ASUS for me).

I am using integrated graphics through Intel I9-9900k which should easily handle Open GL and does so for all my other plugins using this. Are you also on integrated graphics or do you have a discrete graphics card?

Softube support has been non-existant thus far for me as well - I have had to sort though it all myself. Most unhelpful I must say. Plugins amazing but support not good.

Thanks for the tips - I will try these tonight!

I have an AMD Radeon discreet GPU, yes, but I don't know the model # off the top of my head. My strategy is to disable it, then also disable softube plugins from running in opengl, and then try to run a Reaper session on the Intel integrated graphics card. I've been researching all morning, and there are massive known problems reported w/ AMD and nVidia GPU's running in windows v1909 - it's not necessarily a driver issue, but a "driver call" error in windows. I don't know what that is.

I have also noticed that my DVD ripping software doesn't work anymore, and I'm betting that it runs of the discrete graphics card.

But from what you wrote, it doesn't sound like the graphics card was your issue? If you were always running your sessions off the integrated card, it doesn't seem like that was the issue. Then again, you did update the driver, so you can't eliminate that entirely.

The registry issue is interesting because it would explain why I can always get the softube plugins to open ONCE after a complete OS reset, then never again after they crash.

But I still think the core problem is graphics. When I was in the "ship going down" phase and the plugins were sort of working sometimes, I noticed that the problems got worse when I had the plugin window open, and that it caused clicking and popping and a spike on my GPU usage even though the CPU usage was low.

Anyway, I'm trying all this stuff over the next few days, thanks again. I'll report back. From what I've read, it seems as though Microsoft, AMD, and nVidia are not cooperating with each other on the graphics issue, so that's not Softube's fault and there's nothing they can do about it - but you'd think they could post a workaround for a known issue or at least acknowledge the problem.
Old 28th July 2020
Gear Guru

@ Kyle Ashley : any news ?
Old 28th July 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
@ Kyle Ashley : any news ?
yeah! I PM'd you. Softube support is super busy but hang in there folks. they are working through a lot right now.
Old 28th July 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWL View Post
Anyway, I'm trying all this stuff over the next few days, thanks again. I'll report back. From what I've read, it seems as though Microsoft, AMD, and nVidia are not cooperating with each other on the graphics issue, so that's not Softube's fault and there's nothing they can do about it - but you'd think they could post a workaround for a known issue or at least acknowledge the problem.
Cheers. I will also report on this thread anything I find out about this situation. I hope you get it working as well. Oh and I checked and when updating everything, I updated to Windows 10 x64 OS Version 2004.
Old 28th July 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by electro View Post
Softube or Nembrini MRH810 or IK Slash?

So many Marshall options.
I have the IK Slash which are very good especially with the current sale. However I prefer the Softube ones especially the Bluesbreaker. Haven't tried that Nembrini model although I did demo some when their sale was on and I do like his amp sims - (he does a lot of them for PA as well).

I think I am going to get a bundle of the Softube Marshalls though before the sale ends as I all ready have amp room and I just really like their amps and room mics etc. since I have been demoing them all.

Amp Room really needs some better stomp boxes/effects though such as reverb and delay imo. I don't like the ones included and so demoed their reverb and delay which work in Amp Room and didn't take to them either. I am currently having to use a set-up of stomp plugins before Amp Room and after which kind of defeats the purpose of it. I have also just been instantiating the amp plugins by themselves outside of Amp Room all together because of this.

I am not asking for additional free effects - just the ability to be able to use more and better effects within Amp Room as it would improve workflow so much when trying to customise tones.
Old 29th July 2020
Lives for gear

I am surprised that more (all?) of the softube plugins don’t open up inside Amp Room.

I think the inconsistencies with mic techniques with the new models, is also somewhat of a bummer. Or having things like that feedback feature only being on one model.

It also kind of sucks that they couldn’t somehow figure out a way for this to work with Modular more slickly. You can build all kinds of effects in Modular that would make sense to use in this context. You can just use the DAW to chain between the two worlds, but it would have been still been nice to use Modular and Amp Room instances in the same “node graph”, for more nuance.
Old 29th July 2020
Lives for gear

I am surprised that more (all?) of the softube plugins don’t open up inside Amp Room.

I think the inconsistencies with mic techniques with the new models, is also somewhat of a bummer. Or having things like that feedback feature only being on one model. It’s not that I necessarily mind them approaching each differently, it’s that the features feel a little inconsistent/willy nilly.

It also kind of sucks that they couldn’t somehow figure out a way for this to work with Modular more slickly. You can build all kinds of effects in Modular that would make sense to use in this context. You can just use the DAW to chain between the two worlds, but it would have been still been nice to use Modular and Amp Room instances in the same “node graph”, for more nuance.
Old 29th July 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:

I think the inconsistencies with mic techniques with the new models, is also somewhat of a bummer. Or having things like that feedback feature only being on one model. It’s not that I necessarily mind them approaching each differently, it’s that the features feel a little inconsistent/willy nilly.

I agree to the extent I "liked" both messages even though they are duplicates lol.
Old 29th July 2020
CWL
Here for the gear

Quote:
Cheers. I will also report on this thread anything I find out about this situation. I hope you get it working as well. Oh and I checked and when updating everything, I updated to Windows 10 x64 OS Version 2004.
I went through a lot of changes to my OS last night trying to confirm my AMD Radeon GPU as the culprit. I was really just trying anything I could, including:

Uninstalling the AMD driver (and setting Windows to not automatically replace/update drivers, which is not an exact science)

Uninstalling the AMD management software and all its presence in system files, registries, etc.

Turning off switching GPU setting in the BIOS

With all that done, I didn’t bother setting graphics card usage preferences on an app-by-app basis because as far as I could tell at that point, my OS couldn’t “see” the AMD GPU at all anyway.

Reinstalled Reaper, ilok license manager, and Amp Room. Could not find a global settings folder for Amp Room under app data->roaming - I (correctly) assumed that the folder is not created until the first time Amp Room is instantiated.

So with nothing left to do, I booted Reaper and instantiated Amp Room (vst 2) on a track. Not only did it load, but it loaded much faster than it used to. The very first thing I did was go to settings and turn off opengl, then close reaper. Then I found the newly created global settings folder for softube in the app data->roaming folder and sure enough, there was the text script file for app preferences. It was set to “false” for opening the app in opengl. Thanks for that tip, huge help!

I tried opening Reaper and instantiating Amp Room again...and it crashed. When I first disabled opengl, there was a warning message at the bottom of the window that changing that setting required a reboot of the computer. I initially ignored that because I had confirmed the script change in the global settings folder and I had effectively removed the AMD GPU from the system anyway - I didn’t think a reboot was necessary, and I wanted to see how robust my changes to the OS were. So much for that.

But I rebooted the computer, loaded up Reaper w/Amp Room, and everything seemed ok. I played around with the GUI on Amp Room for about 30 mins, loading up a bunch of modules and moving stuff around in the GUI a lot to see if I could crash it with lots of graphics usage. It remained stable.

Then I went to bed. I never actually plugged in and played, too tired!

Tonight I'll plug in and see how it works.

In debrief, I can say for sure that Windows and GPU's are not cooperating with each other. I assume that will eventually be corrected, but neither one of them seems eager to do so.

Softube's Opengl certainly isn't helping - it crashed even when there was no GPU to access (which might have been another problem in and of itself). They seem unaware of what now appears to be an obvious problem, considering how easily I found all this info on searches. I can't be the only person experiencing this.

In retrospect, the best solution would have been to image my OS before I allowed Windows to make the 1909 update. Do you believe the 2004 update has resolved the GPU issue?

Assuming the audio is working and the plugins remain stable, I need to start working backwards to find out which step(s) worked. I did a "slash and burn" on my OS to get this far, and there are probably less invasive ways to handle GPU issues. I'm also going to make a copy of the softube global settings folder in app data so I can drop that in as an opengl killer if and when I ever need to instantiate a softube plugin for the first time again.

Will update on news. I'm going to try VST3 as well.
📝 Reply